Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eifert Posting posted:

The government run by the Nazis is probably one of the most dysfunctional governments in world history. If you're curious Dietrich Orlow's "The Nazi Party 1919 to 1945." It's the dryest thing I've ever read but does a great job explaining how a bunch of dysfunctional assholes attempted to create a government on chudly self interest, with predictable results.
As best as I can tell the only reason Hitler was able to get his hands on as many people and cause as much slaughter as he did is that Bismarck's Germany was a very powerful and wealthy European state with a lot of talent. Hitler made one good military call, possibly more out of luck than anything.

As for the corruption, that was probably some of the point. I would not be shocked if some of the purpose of inefficient designs was to try to generate revenues for whoever built the Panther and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cessna posted:

The Nazis didn't anticipate a drat thing. They had the war economy of an addict, lurching from from looting one country to the next.

Where did you get the idea that they had a materials surplus?
I think in this context "materials surplus" means "Germany prepared for war more deliberately than the other Western allies, and so started with much less of a scramble." Whereas the dominant mood in the west was "ah for christ's sake do we really have to? Again? After all that?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Oh and the bolded part there? That's why people use "fascist-adjacent" to refer to sexists, racists, religious bigots, homophobes, etc. Because all that poo poo comes from the the same place of categorising people into groups (races, genders, national origin, religion, disability, etc) and placing those groups in a rigid hierarchy such that you are at or near the very top, then dissonantly claiming (even if it's only to yourself) that you deserve to be there not because of the circumstance of your birth giving you the in-group race/gender/nationality/etc but because you struggled your way to a personal greatness that is deserved by you because it's 100% your own achievement and also it's unattainable by inferior race/gender/nationality/etc because they're just not capable of the same kind of personal greatness you are.

And yeah, that obviously makes no internal sense. That's the point.

It's similar to the way the nazis, who were poo poo at war and poo poo at government, were so convinced of their own greatness at war and governing that their bullshit is somehow* still convincing to people 70+ years later.

*"Look at us, we've clearly got our poo poo together, standing up straight with shiny boots and cool tanks. You could be just like us, all white and powerful. Hell you're white, you're more than halfway there already, you're already special!"
I figure the reason why so many people keep hewing to the Nazis in specific (as opposed to some kind of home-grown neofascism, which would remain despicable) is image alone. Also I guess I'll go look for the milhist thread!

golden bubble posted:

Exactly. Just look how wargames try to model tank reliability. One way is to increase costs for unreliable tanks. But that means players can easily plan around poor reliability, since they know exactly how many extra points were spent in every game. Adding random rolls for reliability is a more realistic way to show how poor reliability regularly ruined tactical plans. But it is not fun to lose a match because of totally random reliability rolls before the game even starts, and it isn't good game design either.
One way to do this on squad-level stuff would be having some kind of reliability check after "pushed" actions in the game. So Tigers or whatever could be worked around but you'd have to play conservatively, which in turn means the superficially inferior tanks that can push it to the limit way more reliably will be far more flexible, and flexibility wins wars!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Draconis Combine now has a New Avalon prefecture and I am 100% onboard with the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns merging because they are basically the same nation with only your preference as to whether you prefer a Samurai or Cowboy aesthetic. Samurai Cowboys are inherently superior to both.
Is Rawhide Kobayashi a legitimate Mechwarrior concept?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

evol262 posted:

No, they didn't.
I think the context here is that in China German diplomatic officials interfered with the Japanese army getting up to hella atrocities on at least one occasion, but the one incident I know of was definitely "not authorized by the home office." Of course I doubt the Germans approved of the occasional absent-minded non-anti-Semitic activities the Japanese got up to too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I actually got so much Howard Zinn I got sick of the guy, and I was in Texas schools most of the time. (Urban G&T programs in Houston, mind you, I'm sure the standard curriculum in Arlen would have been very different.)

I think the main issue is that a lot of this stuff gets written as a "corrective" or "what THEY got WRONG" and so forth and nobody sits down and writes, for instance, a non-shithead textbook to sell or distribute freely. Perhaps this wouldn't pay, perhaps it wouldn't be the best way to do it, but that is my own perspective on a lot of history classes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

moths posted:

Unless it's changed since I last heard, textbooks are written to appeal to Texas.

Because Texas buys the whole state's books at once in such a way, they either make or break your publishing house.

If you got Zinn, I have no idea how that slipped through. I'm guessing there was still a crate of "Texas approved" textbooks gathering dust in a basement somewhere.
We did have the official textbook and I remember Texas History in particular was kind of weird although that may well have been a weirdo teacher. (Even then it was kind of clear to me in 7th grade that the Mexicans under Santa Anna were entirely justified, and just got unlucky.)

However in high school yeah Zinn came out. It was probably because it was a G&T program in Houston, which by sheer scale/diversity alone was probably somewhat less than purestrain chud at the Deaf Smith Confederate Memorial County High School. Zinn's book was also in (pretty much literally) every college course that touched on history that I took, with the exception of the two courses on Irish history since 1600 (for obvious reasons). There were staple textbooks and I had wished that Zinn's content or its equivalent was better integrated into the core text, because I think that would have both improved the quality and breadth of the content, AND ALSO, I would'nt have had to buy four loving copies of Zinn's book (and got two free copies, along the way) during my college career.

Like it ain't that Zinn is bad, it's that he sure the gently caress wasn't Marx or Plato or something. Update the core book, don't make me keep buying supplements! :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

evol262 posted:

They honestly should have just made you get Zinn's sources, which are available in a single (cheap) companion volume, at least in college.

I'd be offended if Zinn were assigned for the same reason I'd be offended if Rise & Fall of the Third Reich were. It's a seminal volume with iffy historiography by today's standards, and it's definitely not good enough to be in 4 different classes
To be fair that's over a sprawling undergraduate career and a couple of graduate courses, and I'm no spring puppeteer so it was mostly a decade ago or so. So I mean, it could have been fresher at the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, Iron Kingdoms had juvenile poo poo in it but it seemed much less thud and blunder than WH40k ever was. Some of this might just be that they were #2, of course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loxbourne posted:

PP was funny about this, especially in the first edition. The 1st ed rulebook stopped the rules text in several places to discuss how AWESOME and DYNAMICALLY POSED Privateer miniatures were, and BADASS their weapons etc looked. Someone in the writers' room had a thing about "daintily painted toys" and went out of their way to try and sell Warmachine's models as uniquely manly and cool.

Of course it worked a treat back then, Privateer pretty much single-handed ended GW's monopoly in some places.

EDIT: Flipping through old stuff, I remember getting a feeling there was an editorial mandate or something to ADD MORE GRIMDARK once the game started to take off. There were some hilariously dropped-in bits of "and then we slaughtered everybody including our own men!" in the fluff which had clearly been added afterwards. You could barely move for machinery powered by souls or something.
I thought the souls thing was mostly the Cryx gimmick. I mean one thing they certainly managed is that it wasn't a particularly fascist setting in terms of iconography or the deep narrative. They also had a surprisingly nuanced religious landscape for "D&D, but it's the early Industrial revolution"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LatwPIAT posted:

Weimar Germany In Space! is generally more fertile ground for roleplaying games than Nazi Germany In Space!. (And you get to beat up both Nazis and Stalinists!)
What do you roll to implement austerity policies?

Eifert Posting posted:

my high school dedicated a yearbook to Francisco Franco.

To be fair it was before he actually attained power, but it's not like he was shy about being a scumbag before he did.
Is it explicitly the guy from Spain? Because like, I could absolutely see there being an unrelated guy named that. I even remember the old story about Hitler's cousin who lived in the US and walked into a recruitment station. "Name?" "Hitler." "Glad to meet you, Hitler: I'm Hess!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

The original intent of SJW is straight up dead, there's no reclaiming it at all at this point. It's lost all meaning even among those who use it, a 5 seconds on Twitter will show they'll slap it on anything that mildly erks them. See also: Political Correctness and Virtue Signalling, genuinely useful terms drowned in poo poo.
Eventually all terms will become meaningless and we will return to shrieking at one another from across the creek bed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

As best as I can tell the best sign someone has of being a fascist or fascist-adjacent is "existing" and "posting on the Internet," at this point. The categories may be a little broad.

Are Feats fascist? What about at-will powers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tekopo posted:

The rest of the catalogue is pretty standard to other board wargames naming conventions, but those two titles really stand out as being especially bad (and yeah, I guess the colonialism one as well). The only game I own is Crusade and Revolution which is an alright take on the Spanish Civil War.

Triumph of the Will is also about an 1948 war between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan which is just :psyduck:
Even if somehow they won, probably by bridging the USSR, they would still be recuperating at that point.

Anyway here is a good Sartre quote which will probably be familiar to everyone, from "the Anti-Semite and the Jew":

quote:

The anti‐Semite has chosen hate because hate is a faith; at the outset he has chosen to devaluate words and reasons. How entirely at ease he feels as a result. How futile and frivolous discussions about the rights of the Jew appear to him. He has placed himself on other ground from the beginning. If out of courtesy he consents for a moment to defend his point of view, he lends himself but does not give himself. He tries simply to project his intuitive certainty onto the plane of discourse. I mentioned awhile back some remarks by anti‐Semites, all of them absurd: "I hate Jews because they make servants insubordinate, because a Jewish furrier robbed me, etc."

Never believe that anti‐ Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti‐Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Madurai posted:

What the poo poo is that Me-163 doing down there? Are they positing a ground attack version of a rocket plane?

:stare: indeed
I mean they did blow up but good. I'm sure with the proper attitude...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JBP posted:

The outside elements are actually evil like it says on the box though and they're not allegories for foreign irl human nations/ethnicities. Like, I'm a human. I'd want the imperium to win if I lived in it and think space marines were the loving best.
I think the point is that WH40k isn't some found product of nature or something received from the past like an old Alexandrian manuscript, it was created quite recently by mostly some English dudes. Like, they decided the Imperium is a skull cathedral helldeath meatgrinder instead of, say, the Federation from Star Trek or great noble houses in Dune. Like look at the pre-Age of Sigmar Warhammer Fantasy game, that has an "Empire" in it which while hardly perfect is not Skull Town, Feat. DJ Greatman and MC Hard Decision$.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It's Forge World, but they even released female heads for simple headswap conversions of Stormcast. Almost makes me want to play them.
I always thought one of the challenges for tiny mini game soldiers is making them visibly "female" without making them look like Venus of Willendorf, which was somewhat easier in Warmachine's scale than WH40k. However, this is possibly just pro-Warmahordes propaganda that got beaten into my noggin.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

On a very related note, I think it would be cool to hear about community building tactics- especially because people often get into these games as a teen when they’re pretty susceptible to political extremism. I think a lot of posters currently have nice communities of people that don’t suck to play against, but it would be neat to think about how to keep communities vibrant and how to expand them- both to marginalized people and how to handle things if you end up with a wannabe Hitler youth showing up.
I'd be extremely interested in this too, at the very worst it would be a topic other than "everything is horrible"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah I think the other discussion that goes hand in hand with establishing inclusiveness is how to self-police. I think the case of “weird thirtysomething getting really friendly with a 17 year old and counting down til her birthday” is a clear place where you yell at him to gently caress off and go away, but at least personally I’d be a little more hesitant to just totally cancel a high schooler or even college kid who regurgitates some dumb chan poo poo. Maybe I’m overthinking it and things are obvious in context.
I imagine you don't need rigorous rules to divide between "White Power Pete" and "a child who referenced some recent Internet foolishness which is not patently bigoted but has Implications." Indeed, if you have some kind of 3-page detailed policy, White Power Pete will absolutely game it and have a blast doing his "legally" protected maximum allowable dose of bigotry.

Like in the latter case the proof is when you say "Hey, that poo poo is rude, cut it out," possibly with a short explanation. If the reply is some variation on "ah hell I'm sorry, I didn't know" or a conversation, then the raw material is good. If the answer is "lol triggered?" then you get the ban running.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

As someone who spent a year moderating RPGnet, which does have a rather extensive list of rules and guidelines for users, this is 10000% correct. Trying to nail down what constitutes acceptable behavior in a social space with a specific set of itemized rules is begging to have every dickhead in existence try to game them as hard as humanly possible. The end result is you wind up throwing them out anyway (hopefully) but then you have to answer a bunch of other peoples' questions about "why did user gasthejews1488 get banned, they didn't violate rules 1, 3, or 17 that I can see." It is vastly superior, in my opinion, to have a short and simple set of rules first and foremost of which is "don't be a bigoted rear end in a top hat, or even a garden variety rear end in a top hat to the point that you're making GBS threads the place up."
Yeah the reason social media sites don't do moderation SA-style is that it is relatively labor intensive. But guess what, you're not a massive corporation trying to get a huge valuation by paring staff costs to the bone, you're a community space and/or small-ish merchant!

Hell I was a mod on a game once and I told a repeat offender, "Listen, this is our third chat, I'm not gonna give you some itemized list of specifics about you being a dickhead again." His reply was "I wish you wouldn't take me so seriously :)" which told me: Yeah, this guy's doing it on purpose. Out he goes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I would think that skewing towards inclusivity of marginalized communities and ostracizing of toxic predatory assholes is long-term good for business. Judging by the conscious steps the major industry players (Wizards of the Coast, post-Kirby GW) have been making towards inclusivity and increasing visual representation I wouldn’t be surprised if market research bears that hunch out.
The general playing ecology is better for everyone including the legacy/older players, in my experience, because far more time is spent playing the drat game instead of having to deal with White Power Pete, or people being too psychically exhausted from dealing with White Power Pete to play, or from having to pause the game to go deal with White Power Pete, etc. etc.

To be explicit this is in addition to the many other virtues of inclusivity.

The phenomenon where nerds in power defend sexual predators is really weirdly prevalent. I’m not a sociologist or anything but there seems to be a pattern.
The grim truth is that a lot of people in power have defended and covered for sexual predators for a long time, indeed no doubt to some extent since time immemorial. And it will not go away completely for a long time. But hey, you tend the field you have.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

All these groups have humans in them and humans have many flaws, which we could count until the Battle Cattle come home.

And yet, it is generally held we can choose to do better. Perfection may never be reached, but we can be like a ratchet, and make all our motion go in one direction - a good one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think it shows an interesting facet of patriarchy and serves as a kind of compass as to how toxic masculinity functions. I’m not sure I’m good at articulating what I’m thinking about but it’s something along the lines of when you remove the obvious “alpha male” types you see how male power structures form and reflexively perpetuate some nasty stuff.
I figure it's like the example Torchlighter had: there was demonstrable toxic masculinity among the "jocks" in the genericized midwestern high school a lot of people went to when watching TV even if they didn't attend it in person, and this was thus classed as being what "toxic masculinity" is. Since :goonsay: is not practicing that, indeed hates it, he obviously cannot be engaging in a toxic masculinity at all.

Meanwhile, while nuances and details differ, there were doubtless plenty of sportsplayers and sexhavers who grew up to be decent people and were even at the time not actually doing anything particularly toxic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Children need clear and consistent boundaries. That conflict should never be resolved with violence except in certain edge cases is just confusing for a young child.

Don't worry, by the time your kid develops the upper body strength to throw a good punch, they will have matured enough to understand nuance and exceptions.
Indeed, one must master the basics before you can become a master (of punching Hitlers)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

Italy was the Meatwad of the Axis Powers, I think seeing them being played them is more embarrassing to fascists than anything else.
I guess Germany was Master Shake and Japan was Frylock? It checks out, Sam!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah I figured bad gaming < no gaming was more about being in a dragging lovely campaign you don't care about, or playing Pathfinder when you hate Pathfinder because it's the only thing played locally, etc. If these people have some dude barking racist bullshit that is a different order of problem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My headcanon when I was in 40k poo poo was that Space Marines are gonna look like that after they integrate their stupid alien power-up glands even if they started out as ladies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is, and I mean this sincerely, an astonishingly bad idea. Something Awful is not a country or a society, the principles of democratic governance don't apply here. In fact, neither do most of the principles of good governance. If we ran SA like a real government it would collapse almost immediately.
Ah but consider: We might be the ones to get the conch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

my non political take is that this dude sounds like an enormous dumbass
Avellone's main confusion, which is probably very common, is that "apolitical" means "the work doesn't directly address currently active political issues, either literally or in intentional/discernible allegory."

This is not so. Just about everything will have politics in it, beyond perhaps extremely basic stories. I think it is fair to say, "When I wrote XYZ, my intention was not to discuss Issue ABC," as a creator, and it is also fair to enjoy and draw value from works that do not agree with your politics-- and this does not mean that you do not actually hold those politics, either.

This issue I suppose is that in American discourse (which is unfortunately fairly hegemonic) "political" used casually means "is about the issues of the day or about the left/right dichotomy broadly defined by the Republican party and its agents, and to a lesser extent by the Democratic party and those affiliated with it." But this is parochial. Kreia makes many political statements. (For instance, she is against organized religion, which is not very controversial in the game's audience, and is also against a particular aspect of the supernatural, which is a pretty heavy statement.)

I think one big challenge everyone in these fields is facing now is that if you skillfully write a character with a reprehensible opinion or attitude, some fraction of the audience will love it, and celebrate it, and take it as validation. This is probably not a hole you can dig out of with additional layers of satire and cynicism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought we were going to avoid discussing Warhammer
I said "skillfully"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That game is gross and I'd say running its equivalent at home among consenting players would also be gross.

On the topic of shock tactics to recruit among the little Hitlers, I wonder if the real thing they end up searching for is people who are easily bullied as much as people who are going to be enthusiastic about Bedford Forrest-chan's Night Lolitas. They need people to boss around, obviously; otherwise where's the fun?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Makes the questionable choice of casting their opponents as the more badass faction that is 100% gonna win, which is odd?
Naw this is typical with the fascists, see also: :umberto:

Basically if the Evil Hordes aren't within hailing distance of victory AT LEAST, nothing they do makes any sense, there's no need for a fuhrer, etc. You even notice this in their discourse, it's never "We have a great many people crossing the border; we need to spend more money on monitoring and barriers," it's "illegal disaster crisis invasion WALL".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If you're having a normal one over fear that you somehow "can't" have a militaristic culture or source of recurring humanoid foes for your adventurers, don't be. Just make it clear these are the imperial soldiers or bandits or something rather than Ye Orcs, Who Are Tainted by the Touch of Sin and Bear the Skin of Ham.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

alansmithee posted:

I'm wondering, do people also ban certain spells? Like fireball, cloudkill, phantasmal killer/weird, incendiary cloud, etc? Are PCs made to always use non-lethal violence? I mean the central conceit of DnD (which the article was about) is running around murdering stuff to increase in power while looting whatever your enemies had. Like I understand if you're gaming with Ted Bundy or something and he's going into loving detail about how he captures someone/something and starts slicing pieces off, but I guess I'm not seeing the big controversy of "someone drop a zone of truth, I'll make an intimidate roll". Like I think most people who play DnD understand it's a game and a lot of things that are allowed there would not be good in reality. I'm genuinely trying to understand the mindstate where this is an issue for people, because I don't think I've ever encountered anything similar in any of the games I've ran/participated in.
I think you're generalizing out from a specific trope in these games, which is the implicit statement that torture is an effective means of intelligence gathering, into a more general one. This is also in general going deep into the guts of a particular thing which may not come up that much in a lot of games but which is extremely harrowing when it does, especially around people for whom it is a deep source of disquiet and anguish as opposed to "We get it, Kyle, you're gonna get hypothetical on Mercutio's clavicle if he doesn't tell us where the Prince is keeping the sarcophagus."

Contextually torture is also, like, a thing you do to someone who you have already captured. By the time you have a guy in a position to be tortured, you could also just hit that guy with a coup de grace and they would be dead. This feels morally different to me than firing a fireball at a platoon of bandits. Even if you have a grotesque power disparity the other party is not "in your power" already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ultiville posted:

I was thinking it seemed extremely strong, but I haven’t played much 5e. Did they somehow make it so that battles don’t snowball as people go down? I guess it doesn’t stop save-or-suck stuff, but not being able to get defeated in detail seems important.
It doesn't seem like it'd be great in the adventuring party I'm in but perhaps there is some superior Communist form of D&D party structuring that it is meant to harmonize with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it sure feels right, even if the discussion has probably been had before.

What are your opinions on people role-playing characters that are a different gender/orientation/race/anything else than the player is? Both in high profile areas like the McElroy brothers and at your personal game table. I ask this assuming everyone is acting in good faith to play a character and not to make it a joke, those people can gently caress off.
If everyone's acting in good faith I see no problems at all. It probably matters more in some milieux than others.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Gate posted:

This is a fairly tangentially related thing, but since YouTube recommendations are being discussed, people interested might want to listen to the podcast Behind the Bastards, episode 67. It goes into some of the stuff that's been discovered about how the recommendation algorithm works (spoiler: it's super not good!) and why you tend to see awful things show up in your recommendations no matter what.

Anyway, kind of barely on topic, but it will probably help explain why you see an assholes videos recommended after someone who isn't equally awful.
I'm guessing it's because they know a lovely video will make you angry and thus paying attention and staying on the platform, perhaps even seeing an advertisement or two.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah the thing people (deliberately, to some extent) ignore is: The way most of these guys stop being the fash is to stop heiling at the game table, apologize if they were lovely to people, and then go do something else. You CAN stop, though there will likely be long term social consequences proportionate to how hard you were heiling.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Oh sure, I agree that the lovely things anti-vaxxers do to their kids is pretty terrible, especially the whole "making my kids drink bleach to cure their autism" type thing, but it's more that you can't rationally debate an anti-vaxxer into going "oh wow you're right, I've totally been abusing my kid and vaccines are helpful." I don't know how precisely you (the general, societal you) address that issue in an effective way, but I know it doesn't involve trying to meet some sort of rhetorical middle ground with the people feeding their kids bleach.
We have for the most part ruled out the historically effective tactics and I'll be real that it seems like "critical thinking education" etc. is not really doing the job. Indeed sometimes I think the decades of banging on a drum of "question, permanently, literally any source of authority" has aggravated the issue. Collective action is necessary to address collective problems, but we are all conditioned to see Dick Nixon lurking in the shadows.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Disease is not vulnerable to the Stone Cold Stunner.

Nazis? Nazis never see it coming.
*ahem* they did nazi that coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I don't want to go through the 100-page hellthread again, but it was the one about wanting to rape another user and hear them pray. Apparently the quote doesn't appear anywhere in the database, which includes deleted posts and edits?

And on checking, it was Xeno Major I was thinking of, who I don't think is a mod. Oops. And it wasn't them. I'm very inaccurate. But they were charging into the thread to declare that it was all overblown nonsense and really can anyone be sure if that term is racist or not, after all it does refer to criminals so

https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/59431549/

Edit: this all happened a while ago, but exploded today when the staff implemented a banner notification that poo poo was hosed and there was a thread to discuss it.
So if I'm understanding you right, on this forum the mods took time to sit down and give a special course in gentle speech to a bunch of little racist shits, at best so that they could pass some arbitrary bare minimum of not just spouting the n-bomb constantly? And well beyond 'buddy you seem dumb so I'm gonna give you one clear warning on how you hosed up:' but like an actual ongoing project?

Christ! You start spraying right wing bigotry and everyone crawls over themselves to suck your genitals.