Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I wonder if the patch will make multiplayer playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a shame. I'll still be trying out the Runemaster myself, I was just hoping to get my ARPG friends on board. I guess that will have to wait until 1.0

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The friends who I would recommend this to are also the friends that I play ARPGs with, together. While the multiplayer is still in Bad First Impressions state I'm holding off on the sales pitch

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jack Trades posted:

Where's "making multiplayer playable" on that roadmap?

All the issues mentioned I've seen mentioned in this thread are in the big roadmap post linked at the bottom of the announcement post

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/unofficial-roadmap-to-1-0-and-beyond/60203

Admittedly that says 1.0 and Beyond, so let's hope that fixing the performance issues related to spinning up new server instances isn't relegated to Beyond

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Deformed Church posted:

That roadmap is pretty disappointing, with how many things are still just nebulously somewhere beyond 1.0. Like, it feels pretty ballsy to call it that when they're leaving out a quarter of the campaign, not finishing all the very obviously half-implemented skills, and not adding anything significant in the way of endgame features.

They call this the Diablo 4 Plan

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They just added a new class and 1.0 is adding two more

e: nm, you mentioned that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Clarste posted:

I kind of assume that 1.0 implies they are going to finish the main story at least.

It's in the "flex" section of things they hope to get in 1.0 but aren't guaranteed. I agree that this, in particular, is going to be a bad look

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The trick is to do what D4 did and finish your final act, leaving the obviously half-arsed stuff in the middle. As long as "Chapter 10" and "Chapter 11" pop up on the screen just after you fight a boss, most people won't notice. Especially if at that point you're just thinking let me kill the main bad guy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah if they leave it as a cliffhanger and then add it in like it's a free expansion then that's probably fine. Again, that's basically what D4 does (except we'll have to pay for it)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Truga posted:

well poo poo
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/trade-item-factions/61722

this was literally the last problem i had with the game in that i couldn't trade to a friend if they weren't online at time of drop

this is perfect lol

Yeah and the faction system sounds really neat and I like the idea of creating something like SSF without limiting your ability to play in groups. I hope that they can fix the multiplayer issues before launch, I really want to play this with my ARPG-enjoying friends

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bamhand posted:

So what are item factions? The gist is you can either do find your own stuff with massively improved drop rates or you can trade? That was way too much text for my small brain to understand.

Massively improved drop rates and also some target farming stuff where you buy prophecies that make specific types of items drop when you meet a trigger condition

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

zoux posted:

They are, but I'm not optimistic about where those classes are going to be with zero beta testing.

I'd be worried if the runemaster was bad but it was great

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If no one had told me the campaign was unfinished, I would never have known. There's a big boss fight and then a cut scene that leads you straight into monoliths

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

In this video interview, an EHG dev reconfirms that stance. The first Cycle mechanic is the item faction system, which will also be part of the core game from the next cycle onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZ0sE4WuHM

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I forgot the Warlock reveal was starting and for some reason EHG didn't link this in their news feed on Steam

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/77219-last-epoch-warlock-week-day-1-the-power-of-curses/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As soon as I saw that icy veins had the warlock reveal I knew it would be a mess but three articles in and I still don't know whether you manually cast curses or just spec skills to apply them

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Clarste posted:

All I got is that it's a dot class (maybe?).

Dot class that wants to stack as many as it can to multiply damage and (as far as I can tell) can spec into applying them with a bunch of different spells including a bolt, a channeled cone AOE and a point blank defensive AOE. Also has passives that make this stuff synergise with minions.

I think we'd learn more if someone just made a couple of different builds with it and showcased them and explained how they work. Hopefully that will be one of the videos

I like the idea of curses being applied by other effects. Pressing a button just to apply a dot can feel kind of insubstantial

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I think it will be pretty cool. I hope there's something that consumes or accelerates the DOTs for burst damage, that sort of thing is usually pretty satisfying

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I think I was lucky that because I'm a pet-class guy, I built skeleton sacrifice explodomancer as my first character and that is a build that has substantial-feeling hits

Those changes sound great though. During the interview with Ghazzy, Mike from EHG mentioned that for the weekly streams he plays the live build of the game and week by week he feels more and more disappointed that he has to go back to that from the working build in the studio. That's another very good sign imo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mailer posted:

As a narrative, campaign-only title it's not worth the money. Aside from being better than the exceptionally low bar of Diablo 3's campaign it's got nothing to offer that watching the cinematics on youtube won't get you.

It's probably fixed now but the big cinematic that everyone loves crashed the game client on a bunch of pc configurations. I ended up watching it on YouTube even after paying for it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/news/falconer-reveal

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Issakhar posted:

Haven't followed the 1.0 updates closely, would it be safe to start a character now and not have my progress reset on patch day?

There's no reset, so you'll be fine to continue a character that you start now. The character will be on the eternal realm rather than the seasonal realm so if you're interested in trading once 1.0 starts you'll be in competition with people who've been playing since the start of early access. If you don't care about trade then there will be no appreciable difference between seasonal and eternal, based on what they've announced so far

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jack Trades posted:

Does the game even refer to your character by their gender?

No

zoux posted:

Oh I've seen those keys, I thought they were an endgame thing lol

They're both although apparently doing the dungeons as a campaign skip is hard as nails

Tellaris posted:

Unless they changed something you can just jump straight to monoliths as soon as you get to the end of time though? You will obviously be underleveled for a bit, but I found it easy enough on my second character.

You can still do this, and you can party up with someone who is in EoT and teleport to them as soon as you make a character (unless joining a party is gated behind something, it's been a while)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sab669 posted:

This is where I'm at as well.

Will this game have some sort of "official shop" or will it be like PoE where you need to whisper people manually and hope they respond / haven't sold it already? Not that that will impact my decision, but I'm just curious.

It's basically an auction house. If you choose the trade faction you can list items for gold and pay a fee in factionbux that you earn by killing monsters. The more stuff you sell, the higher your faction rep goes, allowing you to sell rarer items

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And if you don't like it you can switch without losing your progress with the faction. You just can't equip items that you got via your old faction (traded items / bonus drops from ssf faction)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Is this with the combat weight changes that were listed as coming in 1.0? I agree that previous versions lacked that satisfying feel but I was hoping that 1.0 would address that

We'll know on Wednesday

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theshim posted:

Guess I'll give this a shot when 1.0 drops. I know nothing. Is there anything I really need to know before diving straight in?

Craft early, craft often. You can do it from anywhere, just hit F.

Loot filter early, loot filter often. shift F

The in game guide is actually useful, hit G

Everything is searchable, notably the skill trees which will help you make a synergistic build. There are lots of ways to change damage types and trigger casts of other skills

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theshim posted:

nooooooooooooo

It's super simple to get started, you're just adding stats to gear with less than 4 stats, upgrading existing stats and occasionally taking a punt on rerolling a stat you don't need. Items can only be crafted on so many times so they don't become endless money sinks. You just find something decent looking and boost the stats you care about. That will carry you easily through a good chunk of the endgame

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's certainly one way to read that post

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CubicalSucrose posted:

I tried to read some of the notes and it seemed unclear to me - will the Trade/SSF ranks carry over to future cycles?

Yes. I forget the exact number but Mike from EHG has said in interviews that the first 3 or 4 cycles will be adding new stuff that will immediately go core game

e: oh you said ranks, sorry. I don't know

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A big part of seasonal resets in games with a trade economy is that no in-game economic advantage carries over from season to season. It's a full reset of everything other than player knowledge. Given that trade faction ranks are a huge economic advantage in that they let you sell very rare items, I would be extremely surprised if they carried over

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DaveKap posted:

Haven't they explicitly stated that seasonal vs eternal content is going to be exactly the same and they'll only alter this if it turns out too many people end up avoiding seasons? That fact alone makes me think sticking to eternal isn't as bad of a choice as it would be for other games where seasons get exclusive content.

That will be true for the first few seasons where the thing they add is a permanent addition to the base game. Eventually they will be doing PoE style seasons

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Relog Steam, the update just appeared for me. 7.3gb

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

from the official Discord:

quote:

Initial burst of load is hitting the matchmaker quite hard - working on scaling it faster. This may result in failed or slow scene transitions, especially in town zones. Will keep everyone in the loop with what we're seeing in the war room! "scene transition" also applies to loading into the game as it loads a scene. Clearing out buffers and trying to stabilize!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It definitely looks better and feels smoother in my highly subjective opinion

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mrbass21 posted:

Gotcha.

Mines: Keywork

Sent

Mine is Tarnop

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MrMidnight posted:

Cool free cloak but you know that had that poo poo ready beforehand

Maybe but then the art team were probably at work and not much they can do to help with server issues

Clarste posted:

I feel like you really aren't expected to go to town to unload items. Vendoring stuff is worthless, so you either break them with shattering runes or just throw it away. Also stop picking up useless trash.

Yeah it's an adjustment but definitely this. I vendored stuff at the first town just in case the vendor had movement speed boots but since then I've just been throwing everything I'm not using on the ground (uniques and idols notwithstanding). Most items vendor for less than the average pile of gold that drops

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The dreadnought level looks amazing with the new lighting

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

zoux posted:

Yeah, that particular worm boss that goes high resistance for a time is kind of my benchmark for how a given build is hitting and putting a couple of swirling vortexes on him loving melted him. I said it before, but I've leveled most of the masteries to at least mono and shadow dagger bladedancer is by far the strongest and fastest leveller. I had heard they nerfed it, I guess not that much tho

Shadow daggers damage scaling went from 450% to 340%, if you're looking for exact numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Profanity posted:

PC Gamer has been putting out really, really lovely reviews for a long while now, so no surprise there.

Successful clickbait, it's getting shared all over