Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Totally unhinged 4AM rant warning.

I never have bad dreams except the recurring one where I gently caress up my cars. This time I hit the Aston with my dad's truck. Woke up in a cold sweat and had to do some work to calm down. My GF thinks I'm insane because I never get nightmares about normal stuff.

Speaking of, the speaker in the driver's side door is blown and the panel hiding the roof mechanism on the passenger side won't close. Dealership says it's gonna take 6 weeks(!) to get the parts in. At least I ran in to my sales guy while I was there today. He mentioned that they have a '16 AMG GT-S that just came back as a trade in and asked if I wanted to take it for a drive later this week. They also got a McLaren 670s, but his pre-owned manager wouldn't let him take it out - he already asked for me. ...I really like my sales guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Hooraaaaaay.... After already working out that our plantations are at their absolute limit for sustaining our current koala population and with the impact of the drought thats been going on for the last 5 months, I got told today that we're getting an additional 12 koalas in the next three months for breeding. Doesnt sound like much, but each koala will eat 60 pollarded trees worth of gum per year.

Time to magically pull another 700 or so trees in perfect condition out of my backside! Without any budget either mind you!

That sounds tough. However, consider the following: koalas are adorable and you get to work with them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It definitely changed my perception of penguins from being roly-poly sea friends to angry little birds with razor-sharp beaks.

I feel like that should be implicit in the phrase "carnivorous bird."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

suffering from the added annoyance of listening to bright eyes - bowl of oranges while simultaneously impregnating my wife and signing mortgages :(

This sounds like you didn't enjoy impregnating your wife.

Edit: Oh, that's :thejoke:. It's 2AM, cut me some slack.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 3, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.teamoneil.com/the-team/employment/

I'm actually considering quitting my well paid career to go live in the mountains and drive rally cars all day. Someone talk me out of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That might be something that you're allowed to do, and letting your cats roam the neighborhood is lovely and irresponsible, but that's not going to stop your neighbors from burning your house down for trapping their pets.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It might be worth 700+ bucks but DONT photo Ironman. JFC 12 hours and still 6 to go. Ugh.

And over 11000 photos. My 1D might actually top 15000 by the end of the night

I have no idea what any of this is but I'm making stuff up to amuse myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My first supercar problem happened!

I'm driving the Aston and I notice the steering wheel is sitting about 15 degrees off center when I'm going straight. There's no play, and the car doesn't pull when I take my hands off the wheel. It straightens out under hard acceleration, and goes back to crooked when I let off. I'm like "Oh great, something went horribly wrong. Guess I should get home." Two blocks from home, I get a lovely warning light with the message "DSC Service Required. Traction control temporary [sic] off."

Fuckin great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Totally different car, but I had that problem with trashed control arm bushings. I could switch between straight steering wheel and crooked by simply braking or accelerating. Something's broken/loose/worn out. I suppose you already surmised that.

Unrelated, but your KI:LL clock has always cracked me up.

Someone made it for me forever ago in a "draw other people's usernames" thread.

And yeah. I didn't hear or feel anything sudden so I'm hoping it's a worn bushing or something simple? I'm pretty pissed that the dealership didn't catch it - they said they looked over the car several times. Hopefully they just cover it because I can't imagine it was something I did in a few hundred miles of not terribly hard driving.

Edit: Google says the control arm bushings are not replaceable and you have to buy an entire upper control arm. And that you need to do both at the same time. :bang:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To add more context, the car is a '16 DB9 and has ~4k miles on it. I can't imagine any bushings would be going bad yet. Happened pretty suddenly. Not sudden enough for there to have been a noticeable noise or movement in the car, but sudden enough that I know it wasn't like that this morning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamnit. The passenger side tires are both Aston Martin OEM. But on the driver's side, one is a Porsche and one doesn't have an OEM code. The DOT codes are all over the place. Two look original to the car (guess which ones) and the other two were replaced at different times in 2017.

When I bought the car, the driver's side was overinflated (50psi instead of 40), and I corrected that after a few days when I noticed.

How bad did this gently caress up my suspension?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's super weird that everything felt normal until yesterday and now it's all kinds of hosed. I'm worried hard acceleration put too much stress on something. But yeah, I already called the dealership. This is on them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

The steering rack on a DB9 is in fact bolted directly to the subframe without any bushes

Was this an actual Aston Martin dealer that you bought the car from? Cuz if so that's a pretty bad thing to miss and something that should definitely be caught on a used car check. There was this big bulletin the factory sent out to all the dealers about what tyres are allowed on what vehicles after the DB11 came out and DB11 tyres started popping up on Rapides and vice versa lol

It was a Mercedes dealership. My nearest Aston dealership is in Toronto, and I'm in Buffalo. I had originally insisted that they send it there for an inspection before purchase, but they talked me out of it because i'm a moron.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol. Quite possibly because they knew drat we’ll they’d be shelling out for a new set of tires. Probably hoping you wouldn’t notice :v:

I honestly just think they didn't notice. They'll be paying for it now though! Along with whatever broke because of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

i am very tired

I'm imagining your avatar saying this while being forced to play guitar under threat of torture.

That probably doesn't make you feel better, but good luck fellow goon. Things will work out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It isn't about what a car is actually like, it's the perception.
A Crown Vic is a big V8 car like your grandpa's! For manly men when men were men and definitely did NOT kiss other men in public.

False!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think the point is there's no such thing as a "girl car" or a "boy car."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All of my cars have been named girl names.

Bonnie

This had better have been a Pontiac Bonneville.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My cars are "The Aston," "The Stinger," and "The RS." :effort:

Yes, I realize one of those is a manufacturer, one is a model number and one is a trim level.

My girlfriend calls the Stinger "Lola" so maybe that counts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

everdave posted:

If anyone has big guns then I’m gonna have big guns. I hate politics they can all burn in hell but if your government has firepower you better have the same. I am no nut and I am pro-police but have you seen some of these jokers?

Anyways my kids went to their moms and I am full on depressed now that I have done all maintenance possible on vehicles before my rising sun vans get here, I think I am going full irresponsible and driving to the beach like now.

We regret to inform you that you are, in fact, a nut.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hoo boy sticker shock though.

Queen Combat posted:

Kinda want to sell it though, would rather have the money.

I found a solution!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

everdave posted:

Anyways I just got off the road drove 550 miles to the beach because I was sad and depressed. So now I am exhausted sad and depressed yay brain! I should have stayed home.

everdave posted:

I don’t know what I was thinking doing this ha. Might just go to the beach and head back tomorrow might not. Just hard on my brain when the kids go to their moms plus I got a ton of issues geez.

I'm not telling you to get rid of your guns, but if you do impulsive stuff like this regularly, I recommend getting someone else you trust to hold on to them for you. You can always go get them if you're gonna go shooting or whatever. Suicide by gun is a big issue among rural males and increasing the amount of time it takes to get at a gun by even 15-20 minutes drastically reduces the risk. Not saying you're suicidal, but stats are stats. Just tryin'ta look out for you. :glomp:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

There is no way that any sort of gun ban, confiscation, etc. is going to get every firearm out of everyone's hands other than the military.

This is just straight up wrong. And I know it's wrong because the basic fact is the average gun on the black market lasts a few months before it's either confiscated or thrown away. Most guns on the black market were stolen from a civilian home, not smuggled in. It won't happen in a day, but even the dumbest criminal won't hang onto a gun they murdered someone with. In a few years, black market guns would be very difficult and expensive to obtain. Not impossible, but only the most well organized and funded criminals would have them because they'd pretty much have to be smuggled in.

There's another component to this, too - regulating guns necessarily means regulating ammo. Even if you have access to a machine shop and can make your own guns, you're not going to get very far without being able to buy ammo for it (or the firing caps to make ammo).

The Prong Song posted:

What's your plan for not having some rando bad guy coming to get you, other than "ban all guns lol", which is not going to work 100%?

"We can't stop this 100% so there's no point in stopping 99%." Cmon you know that's a dumb argument. We can't stop 100% of car deaths either but we still make people wear seatbelts and get driver's licenses. Having a gun will not protect you from someone that is trying to kill you with a gun. The statistics are very, very, very clear on this. In fact, gun owners are much more likely to be shot than non gun owners - often by their own gun. A gun is a liability, not a protection and you can plug your ears and have "I'm gonna save the day" fantasies all you want, but that won't change the statistics.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

"I like freedom (from social obligations like paying taxes, caring about others and not being a bigot) so I want to live in the US".

That help explain it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T-Square posted:

immediately points it at the ceiling without checking it and puts her finger on the trigger and giggles at us and we were like "No, seriously, never point it at something and put your finger on the trigger if you don't want to shoot it without checking to see if it's loaded" and she just laughed and said something like "Oh whatever, you obviously wouldn't give me a loaded gun" *CLICK*

Jesus loving Christ. Your mom is gonna kill somebody.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

Are you convinced that there is a 100% chance nobody will every use a firearm to commit a crime against you or your family, or are you 99% sure and willing to just let the 1% happen?

I don't have time to address all your points right now, but I'll answer this one. I'm 100% sure the chances of someone using a gun to commit a crime against me or my family will go down if guns are banned. I'm not willing to let it just happen because I'm willing to fight to have them banned. I'm 100% convinced this is more effective than carrying a gun myself.

There are no absolute protections in life, just degrees. Other countries have laid down the road map to reducing gun violence and we need to follow it.

Edit: I also don't want to have to carry a gun around to feel safe. And I don't want to be around people that feel they do because those people are now looking at me as a potential threat and they have a gun. That's loving terrifying. Keep your drat guns away from me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Those two statements are at odds.

Agreed. Also, if someone starts beating down my door (which they won't be doing because I don't lock my doors while I'm home because I'm not paranoid), I'm going to use the earlier thread tactic of "let them take my stuff and file an insurance claim about it."

The Prong Song posted:

No, they aren't. Being prepared to defend myself is not having some daydream of being a hero. One implies that I'm prepared for a rare event to happen, the same way I have flood insurance when I'm in a >100 year flood zone; the other implies that I'm carrying a gun around, just waiting and hoping for anything to happen so I can whip my gun out and get all the adoration and press that I not-so-secretly slaver after.

Why are you planning for someone trying to kill you? Nobody is coming to murder you and your family. They will be coming to steal your guns and sell them for drug money though. Probably when nobody is home.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Where does that hero fantasy come from and why do gun nuts always rush to bring it out when trying to defend gun ownership?

Because "My murder toys are fun" stopped being a convincing argument.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

How are you supposed to show ID if you vote by postal ballot?

Many states require you to prove you can't vote in person in order to vote absentee. This is definitely not a blatant attempt at voter disenfranchisement and is necessary to ensure voting integrity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Looking a Wikipedia it's interesting to see that while the US are leading in the guns per capita, Finland has more registered firearms than the US (by half a million), but the US apparently has 392,273,257 unregistered firearms vs Finland's 250,604.
The US have 4.46 homicides by firearm per 100,000 while Finland has 0.32.

That begs the question, do all firearms in the US need to be registered or is it only a certain group of firearms?

No, the US doesn't require you to register your guns individually. Also, that's not what "begs the question" means.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Finland also has significantly higher gun homicides per capita than the rest of western Europe iirc

I'd still walk over broken glass to get their system here.

My kingdom for a horse, etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ok. Regardless of proper use of the phrase, 392,273,257 unregistered firearms is pretty drat insane and it's pretty interesting that the number of registered firearms is so low. Is it hard to do this? Perhaps if every firearm had to be registered, it would be a barrier of entry for many that shouldn't have weapons?

What kind of firearms need to be registered?

Oh, you sweet summer child.

quote:

There is no comprehensive national system of gun registration. In fact, federal law prohibits the use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to create any system of registration of firearms or firearm owners.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/gun-owner-responsibilities/registration/#federal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Meth addicts don't give a poo poo what time it is. Lock your goddamned doors even if you're home.

I don't live in Appalachia, but thanks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm a physical/operational security and risk consultant. Trust me when I say a locked residential door is going to do jack squat to protect me from the kind of psycho who would drive to the suburbs just to break into an occupied house. When I lived in an apartment, I locked my door just because drunks sometimes walk into the wrong apartment. It was me. I did that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T-Square posted:

One time I forgot my phone at said-friend's house and by the time I realized and went back for it they were gone, so I just hopped the fence to the backyard and opened their kitchen window and crawled in, and then told them they should lock their windows too. :shrug:

Please note that I've known both of them since 3rd grade, but probably still don't do that anyway.

You only did that because you cared about not destroying their property to get inside. If I was robbing the place on PCP, I'd just break the window on the door if it had one or kick it down if it didn't.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, it doesn't. Killing people over property is wrong and should be considered murder, full stop.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Lol. Somebody got butthurt enough to spend money on you.

My first hate-title :allears:

Edit: This is no poo poo one of those "Conservatives think good thing is bad" memes.

Double edit: Someone gave me my avatar back! :sun:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, if you were a cop, you could walk into your neighbor's place and shoot them to death for being black in their own apartment because you thought they were a burglar!

I've dealt with too many cops in my career as it is. I'm just glad I don't have to try to teach them anymore.

angryrobots posted:

I think if you witness someone actively stealing from you, presenting a weapon and telling them to stop stealing, should not be a crime. What happens from there depends on their response, and you had better not make the wrong snap decision.

There's probably more ways for this scenario to go wrong, than to go right. It's a real bad idea imo.

See, that's the problem. You just escalated the gently caress out of that situation for no good reason. If you're shooting at someone that has your stuff, you're also shooting at your stuff. It obviously can't be something you care about that much. Like, if someone was in the process of stealing my car and I shot them, best case, I now have a car with a bullet hole and blood stains. Worst case, they are now trying to run me over with my own car. This is not a better situation.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

I guess the US should never have fought for independence. After all, it's just property and liberty!

Man, you've backed yourself into a weird corner there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

I mean, I try to stay civil, but when folks go deep into the zone, what can you do? This is why people talk about the ever-widening gap between the left and right, the radicalization. You can't have a nice discussion, someone feels the need to go to the extreme; seemingly-inarguable statements like "defending your property makes you a psychopath" and "being willing to kill to stop someone stealing is MURDER straight up, no arguments" start getting thrown around, and at that point it's just monkeys flinging poo.

If a person is willing to put the lives of a stranger robbing them above themselves and defense of their property, let 'em. Nobody hates Ghandi ('cept maybe the British). But don't try to act like it's a morally and ethically superior ground to take. And don't try to act like not agreeing makes the other person a (insert some intentionally extreme, loaded insult word here). You're not in the right legally with either of those statements, and more importantly there's very little moral or ethical ground to stand on way out on that island.

I'm not arguing in bad faith, I literally believe those things I said and it's not a remotely radical position. You shouldn't be killed for robbing somebody, and yes, I think people who would kill somebody for that are bad people. I just do. You don't have a right to kill somebody to protect stuff. Stuff just isn't that important.

Edit: You're right about one thing, though. There is an ocean between us. I see your stance on the issue as absolutely barbaric and indefensible.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 10, 2019