Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Slutitution posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs

Dark Fate: A Terminator Story is the latest reboot attempt in the Terminator series after Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Genisys each failed spectacularly. It will feature the same time-travel plot as four of the five currently released Terminator films. The creative new direction is a new type of Terminator. Linda Hamilton and James Cameron are back in some capacity primarily for nostalgia marketing purposes. Edward Furlong couldn't reprise his role due to living homeless as a drug addict when he's not in rehab, so they had to callously write around his character. The production values and gritty aesthetic appear promising, at least.

Dark Fate: A Terminator Story is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 1, 2019.

Seems worth mentioning that Gynysis isn't completely undone, because there is still Pops Terminator and Young Sarah Connor, But Not GoT Lady.

Also, it goes without saying that the comments to the new trailer on Youtube are horrible trash complaining about women in action movies. Like, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

When Sarah Connor says "she's me" I don't think she means it literally.

Who knows with Terminator sequels these days?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Darko posted:

They keep changing the future so every time one comes back, it's some other super hosed up monstrosity.

It would be kinda good if they actually ever addressed this, because it makes a lot of sense and would make for dramatic tension. It turns out you can avert your future, but you cannot avert the future in general and it seems that Skynet is a part of that general future, no matter what. So there is always going to be some kind of robotic nightmare coming back for you, and torching Skynet's toenail now will only make the next nightmare be a different color.

That's one of the reasons I like Genyisis more than most here do. The movie attempted to play around with time fuckery a bit instead of treating it as a way to get the Terminators from then to now.

grate deceiver posted:

Also evil terminator guy looks like a dork.

I actually like that. You can't replicate Arnold and actually shouldn't try if your original pitch is "infiltration", let the subsequent models look dorkier and dorkier. Like, have a scene where somehow Future Skynet observes present day America and decide how its shapeshifter's basic look is going to be, and it turns out it's that dork.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Regarding Dark Fate, I can't shake one of two amusing concepts: either James Cameron (known bully) borrowed liberally from the Terminators he didn't make because he's gonna show them how to do their stuff (Terminator who thinks shes human, etc) better, or he's watched so little of the Terminators that weren't his, invented them alone, and nobody has the stones to tell him that they've already been done.

Or, he's seen them and thought "I like that, but can it be done differently/expanded upon". That would make him look less of a miserable rear end in a top hat though, so I guess that option is out of the window.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Constant time travel means it's a really low barrier to entry to just name everything canonical. Every single movie and comic and game and ride all happened, the ones that didn't go well happened in some other time line that is gone now.

In other words, why give a gently caress about any two consecutive entries into the canon? Like, what's even the use of a canon if that is your way to treat it?

"Oh don't worry, it's just timeline #446313 where Sarah Connor and T800 had a half-machine baby, it's still canon!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

I think I saw somewhere that apparently Arnold is human in this and ends up being the person that Skynet bases their physical design on?

So, Sgt. Candy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The best thing about the ending is that the movie's over.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

For the opening, I hope they just use Edward Furlong in his current state. Or try and de-age him the Marvel way, I'm not sure which would be more ghoulish.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wild T posted:

Edit: Is there a big, dumb Ash vs The Terminator comic book? If not, there should be.

It's even a pretty simple set-up, what with Terminators kinda looking like skeletons and Ash being a dumbass. Also, time travel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I saw Terminator and many other action and horror movies at a ridiculously low age, too. Which is precisely the reason I'm not gonna show them to my five year old son. I am not a healthy man, and neither are all of you, like Jesus Christ.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but I’m not healthy thanks to mental illnesses probably passed down by my parents, not because I watched Arnold rip out a gooey fake eye.

Hint: Your media consumption reflects your relationship to your parents. If you got to watch grossly inappropriate stuff as a wee child, it's very likely because your parents on some level did not give a poo poo. I'm sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain Jesus posted:

I’m sorry that you have lovely parents but you should’t project your experience on others.

I'm glad you and CP don't have lovely parents but you shouldn't act like this isn't a huge loving problem.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

It's not controversial to say five year olds shouldn't be watching R rated movies.

I think people are more upset at my claim about the correlation between parental care and media consumption, which is fair.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Wasn't the original Terminator sent back as a last gasp attempt by the machines because they'd already lost? Like, that was what John said? Where the gently caress are all these new Terminators coming from? The timeline is so hosed at this point I'm expecting the X-Men to show up.

There have been a lot of Terminators on that time travel platform. Just a whole bunch of naked Schwarzeneggers with one sole naked Robert Patrick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LinkesAuge posted:

I would actually do the opposite and go back to the "normal" T800 as villain. The T1000 worked as antagonist for the T800 but the T800 is a much better reflection (in its design) of what Skynet means/represents and was at least to me always the most terrifying version (it is a human skeleton afterall) and it also felt more "real" due to the very physical/grounded nature of its design.
What they need is not another design, shapeshifters are actually kind of lame, they need to create a sense of dread again and give the "Terminator" as antagonist its alienness back. You don't achieve this just by trying to come up with more and more ridiculous designs, it actually undermines the story imo because then the Terminator becomes this "supervillain" instead of a machine that is certainly powerful but not indestructible.
To quote Kyle Reese from T1:

Look where the emphasis is. Not a single word about how powerful it is, it's all about it's inhuman qualities. The Terminator franchise has forgotten that and all those new designs just push for more "badass" Terminators instead of focussing on what made the Terminator so menacing in the first place.

Yeah, T1 Terminator was frightening because he was Jason with a purpose, but looked just human enough. Like, Arnold isn't exactly Mr. Inconspicuous, but in the movie looks human enough that it would take people ten seconds to wonder what is up with this improbably buff punk, and within those ten seconds he'd terminate you. Or the people who protect you. Or your mother, to find out where you are.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I like how the guy is slightly flummoxed that his urinal just turned into a woman who points her spiky iron finger at him. Like, no dude, don't run away. This is only slightly out of the ordinary, you might get to finish your piss later.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

One thing they could do (and this applies to a lot of movies) to make Terminators threatening is that if they touch you you're dead. None of this "picks up and throws against wall" crap. If one gets his hand on you it immediately crushes your neck like a soda can. Play up the inherent lethality of something with hydraulic presses for muscles.

That's pretty much already the case with the T-1000 and upwards models, though. Like, they have knife fingers, if you aren't a Terminator yourself your best chance is to just leg it when they come for you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again: in Terminator 1, the robot kills a dude by repeatedly tossing him into drywall and windows. Despite having a gun.

It takes an extremely long time because the armed killbot and the unarmed naked dude who just woke up moments earlier seem almost evenly matched.

It takes an extremely long time in contrast to the short work Termi makes of people before, but that was just him shooting people. There is never a question about the outcome of the struggle, it shows off that you can come at Termi and he will just throw you around until you die/he gets his gun and then you die.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Personally I've always subscribed to the idea that even the original isn't a closed loop and that Reese's inferior DNA is what resulted in the lame, sarcastic rear end in a top hat Edward Furlong Connor of T2. No way that dude ends up leading humanity to victory.

They sent the wrong Bean, Sean would have sired their savior and then he'd have died like a boss.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A period piece Terminater would probably still have to end with the good guys winning, which then means that a motherfucking badass killing machine from the future was chumped by, I dunno, a Renaissance painter and their unlikely ally, a funny leper.

Which I guess helps to establish why Skynet lost the war. It got in one lucky shot with the nukes and then spent the next 20 years loving up every possible strategic decision.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly, Dark Fate isn't too far from this. Most of the movie isn't about Skynet - history's been changed, Skynet will never happen. Well done. Now there's a completely different AI in the future named Legion seeking to kill the leader of the human resistance against it by sending a terminator back in time, and now the Connors et al are derailed into trying to help protect Legion's target.

Meet the new DOS, same as the old DOS.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

"Instead of using this head start to set up an inescapable trap or stop it before it happens, lets just skip all this valuable set-up time and warp to the very moment of disaster and wing it with no preparation or planning!" God Genysis and TSCC were dumb.

They left it to pops to prepare for stuff in Genisys, I guess the hypothetical sequel could have explored the zany stuff he had been up to in that time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

I could totally see John having an Isildur moment where he's like wait a second, why would I destroy a time machine?

Hell, that future was probably already so hosed up that their best bets were to send everyone back to a happier time with the expectation that they're creating alternate realities anyway, thus not really ruining anything. Maybe that could be the basis of a sequel series.

I think they did a Southpark episode on that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's fun getting him to put in 10 times the effort i do and still be wrong.

Gloating about how much effort other posters put into replies to your shitposts is loving pathetic, dude.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Let Zack Snyder have him, Furlong will have abs you can grate cheese on in no time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah. and it was more so the effort at being wrong. but either way nah.

Yeah no, this is about entertainment too, and SMG is a far cry more entertaining than you, not least of all due to effort. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about what you think is 'wrong' about what they write.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They should get it over with and cast John Cena as John Connor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Violator posted:

How do we know from the T2 alternate ending that liquid metal dudes are being manufactured in the background?

I haven't seen the scene, but my guess is it's because the T1000 still exists in the past. He has to come from somewhere, even if the future has been turned into an utopia.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Skynet should really just send this back to the past.

This, covered in a dozen husks of naked Arnolds.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Skynet sends back an advanced Twitter bot... to 1983.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Payndz posted:

Adult John Connor is enjoying lunch at an Arby's when his plate morphs into a T-3000 and stabs him through the eye. The screen fades out with the words "TIME PARADOX". Suddenly it's 1984 again, and a T-800 appears from a time bubble. Then another. And another. And another. We go into time-lapse mode, pulling back ever further as the world becomes covered with Arnolds from an infinite number of alternate timelines, eventually collapsing into a black hole under their weight. The end.

Groundhog Day, but Bill Murray is a Terminater.

All You Need Is Terminate.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideally this results in basically Bloodsport but all the competitors are different Terminators fighting to prove which one's timeline managed to kill John Connor.

Sorry, the law states that all Terminators must be Arnolds.

He can have different hair, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: Skynet shotguns Terminators all over the past, not to target anyone, but to gather information and iterate on infiltration technique. eventually, Judgement Day, Future War, the Resistance reaches Skynet's core... at which point Skynet declares its infiltration methods perfected, and everyone stops fighting on the spot.

The thing is, Skynet only starts sending back Terminators after it won the war, making it an unofficial entry into the Bill & Ted saga.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It would be really cool if like some Deep Mind Terminator that looked like a scuttling insect that unfolded into a weird near non-Euclidian shape came back from 20400 and just went ham on every other Terminator.

I mean, why wouldn't something like that happen? The time machine cat is out of the bag, and even if the humans won in 20xx, it's not impossible for a new machine civilization to arise. Like, the future is pretty loving big, why do we only ever get Terminators from twenty years ahead?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the T-1000 is sent back from the same future the T-800 was to kill sarah connor. every other sequel is "uhhh judgment day still happens but later".

That's still loving dumb, though. In T1, the T-800 was the last ditch effort to turn the tide by defying the laws of nature and whatnot. In T2, the T-1000 is another, far superior last ditch effort, sent along with the other one, but, you know, to a later time. As... a failsafe.

Why not send the two assholes to T1's time? Imagine Kyle Reese fighting off Arnold only to turn around and get shanked. Skynet had the means to dogpile Sarah Connor with nightmare robots in 1984. It didn't for *reasons*, and that got us the action blockbustet equivalent of the loving Hellraiser franchise.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lot of hype building up for T:DG, I see. How will the movie address this mystery?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Blue plasma Terms v. purple plasma Terms.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wild T posted:

I've always had a dream of making a movie that was your standard bland romantic comedy about a successful businesswoman meeting an a guy and falling in love. Make it a complete template film with the awkward romance, the misunderstanding, breakup and reunion, all the standard fare of a mid-2000s rom com. Then in the third act she finds out the guy is a manipulative psychopath trying to murder her and it suddenly diverts straight into a stalker horror movie.

Just take that concept and make him a Terminator, too. Or poo poo, even better, go for the gusto and make her one.

Then spoiler the twist in the trailer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: Kyle Reese has survived the 1984 T-800. Things seem mostly alright living with Sarah for a while, but his flashbacks start getting worse, turning into increasingly intrusive and horrific hallucinations, and it is no longer clear what's real or not anymore as other Resistance members, Terminators, and implications of human experiments by Skynet begin appearing. In the end, he's back in the infiltrated shelter with the burnt photo, dead.

Remake Repulsion, but the main character is Terminator.

Call it Repulsinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I like to think he tries to say "please come back later" but a bug in the code makes gently caress YOU come out

Deleted character from T1 hacked the T-800 early in the movie and installed a virus that changes everything it wants to say into insults.