Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

It seems Ducktales is back from its hiatus. It’s still very good, but you all know that.

I do really appreciate that in the latest episode one of the characters acknowledges the inherent weirdness and existential horror that is there being regular rear end birds, more specifically ducks, in this world. It’s just a quick little gag that isn’t called our specifically, but I appreciates it more for it.

Btw, there's a Ducktales thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's good, but not like amazing. It's about the level as Chowder. Funny and weird.

I don't think it has like any particularly deep cuts or insightful takes on the Hanna-Barbera characters, but then my brain isn't really attuned to that frequency to really say. A couple of characters got their genders flipped to better round out the cast (and I think it worked out best with the yellow scarf fox), and Yogi, Booboo, and Cindy Bear are all doctors for some reason, which sets up some fun things. Huckleberry Hound is the mayor. There's a lot of kazoo music.

If be surprised if there was anything deeper about the show other than being a sort of love letter those characters with modern touches.

It's just a good, clean kids oriented comedy cartoon using characters their parents and grandparents might recognize.

I also appreciate their variation on the three kids in a trench coat gag

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if I'd call Jellystone a love letter, since it's not like it's really illustrating or demonstrating what people liked about the original cartoons, but that's not the only angle for making use of a classic IP.

Maybe "tribute" is a better word, but there's definitely a lot of love and respect for those characters even beyond the really well known ones. It's a shame they probably can't use the Scooby gang or The Wacky Races which are two of the biggest HB properties of the era, but they're basically unavailable because of other projects in the works.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like a modern Fiimore would work or maybe do a version of Leverage but with kids at a school

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

No Internet in my new apartment yet, so I’m watching whatever I’ve got loaded onto my PC, and I plowed through both seasons of The Critic.

Holy fuckin poo poo this show was ahead of it’s time. Jon Lovitz is giving an incredible performance in the voice studio, he is really selling every line even if the animation budget has fully petered out by the end of each season. I’m busting out with giggles at a ton of these jokes, but I’m more fascinated by the context of this show than anything. It’s like a totally perfect time capsule of ‘94-‘96, but the writing is split like 33% funny witticisms and animated hijinx, 33% dated 90’s humor about being fat & gay, and 34% Hollywood references that, at 33, I am barely old enough to get.

I just don’t know how anyone born after 9/11 could possibly find the movie references or the Hollywood actor jokes that funny unless they are extremely plugged in to 30+ year old Hollywood tropes, and a HUGE HUGE chunk of the joke budget revolves around people think Jay is gay, that he is a woman, or that he is fat in a comically absurd way. You just wouldn’t ever see a show constructed this way anymore for obvious reasons, and it’s wild to think that this was a prime time FOX comedy with gay jokes in literally almost every episode.

As an out queer, the humor falls squarely into the “isn’t being gay silly?” style of gay joke that I find inoffensive and harmless, it’s never that being gay is gross, it’s that Jay comes off as fruity and swishy and people assume he’s gay. The fat jokes aren’t that “Fat People are gross”, they’re like “Jay is so fat that military helicopters can’t air lift him out of Iraq”, so all in all I don’t feel like the show is really punching down, just really laying it on thick that Jay is an effeminate shlub, shlameal, and schlimazel.

I have also counted no fewer than 5 direct “Woody Allen is an obvious pedofile” jokes.

Overall I really recommend you give the show a watch if your tolerance for dated 90’s humor is overwhelmed by your love of dated 90’s pop-culture references, but even if the animation doesn’t do anything for you, Lovitz’s performance is special, I think it’s rare for an actor to do so well in the voice acting department.

Really made me hanker for Duckman, probably doing that next.

The Critic is really a gem of its time and a bit underappreciated when it came out. Its first season was on ABC as an attempt to cut into The Simpsons's lunch but it stuck out like a sore thumb amongst its more wholesome live action sitcom contemporaries and got canned after half of a season and finished it out on Fox. Its second season started there and followed after The Simpsons in scheduling, at least initially, and was helped out with the crossover ep where Jay shows up. It then got shuffled to a different time slot and died there with a whimper. It was a show that was probably a decade+ ahead of its time, Instead, it existed in the mid 90s where The Simpsons reigned supreme and no animated sitcom could be allowed to live for long while it reigned supreme.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Duke is far & away the best character. He’s like 50% C. Montgomery Burns and 50% Jack Donaghey from 30 Rock and he’s simply uproarious. His 15 second workout, his private Country Time Bears jamboree, he’s just amazing.

He's also a cultural reference that's purely of his time but doesn't lose anything if you're unfamiliar with Ted Turner

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

3 episodes into Inside Job and I'm enjoying it. Mothman voiced by Ron Funches is something I never knew I needed in my life, too bad he seems to be a minor role.

Agreed with the Mothman. Show hasn't really grown on me in ep3. Mostly because everyone but Brett and Reagan don't seem that endearing and seem a little repulsive (which is part of the point I guess, but it only works when there's one or two characters like that). There's some really amusing bits, but idk if it's enough for the whole.

Edit: okay, episode 4 is improving things a little.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 26, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Inside Job episode 6 is a really good episode and it probably could've been episode 2 or 3 as a way to hook people. I'd honestly say if you want to get people into the show who are on the fence, skip episode 2 then do 3->[6-7]

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oof, The Great North has not been good so far this season.

What happened?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The one thing I can't get around on big mouth is that it looks awful. Just disgusting art style.

Puberty is as gross as that show looks

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It started off feeling like it was being edgy for the sake of being edgy, "Wow, look we can do swears!"

But a couple episodes in it was going strong and that final episode definitely made sure I'll be coming back for more.

Episode 2 is a real dip IMO, but episode 3 turns it around and I think it's episode 5 where it actually hits its stride

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That's because teeth are also gross.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

I don't use twitter so I haven't seen these tweets. I think people have a reason to be upset by his actions, no doubt, but I just see it as trolling rather than legitimate hatred, that's all.

"It's okay. It's only trolling" is not any sort of defense

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

Hmm, McGruder was gonna be showrunner again. Now I’m a bit sad it was cancelled.

McGruder hasn't actually done much since Black Jesus I think, but I didn't realize its season 3 was all the way in 2019 while its S2 was in 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BeckySucrose posted:

Look, CN. My life sucks. I had no friends growing up and I spent my entire childhood inside, watching your shows. Now I'm an adult, and I'm worried I might have to go outside and face everything that I've been avoiding. I would rather die than do that. Please help me.

Maybe get help and stop using cartoons and nostalgia as a crutch?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Leaning more towards the himbo momma's boy side of Johnny Bravo with him also extremely confident of his own masculinity and less on him being a shallow and shameless flirt. A bit like Cena's Peacemaker. Like, he'd have no problems joining a ballet troupe because he thinks one of the dancers is cute and has no qualms about wearing a leotard and a tutu, but he ends up being a giant primadonna in the middle of it and forgets why he joined in the first place. That sort of idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I should consider taking a look at the TV movie that was made in 2011 of Johnny Bravo called "Johnny Bravo Goes to Bollywood" . Van Partible was the only American on it and it was made for India.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

Close Enough has a decent Simpons gag where they want to watch Tree House of Horror but it’s been preempted until November for baseball.

That joke is too real, but also football

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MJeff posted:

I saw that and it was like. Cleveland Show was funnier than Family Guy had been for a full decade at that point, talk about throwing stones from a glass house.

Why'd it get canceled anyway, did it just do bad ratings?

It looks like just declining ratings. Compared to what was airing alongside it, it preformed fairly abysmally. It performed about as well or only a little better as Allen Gregory in the same year. As for why it did so poorly, it's a mystery but theoretically it was the third of three Seth McFarlane animated series running in the same block and it was a major departure from both Family Guy and American Dad in its own way. So there was no appeal to people who were sick of McFarlane's animation fro mthe get go, no appeal to people who preferred the meanness or referential humor of Family Guy, not as much appeal to the burgeoning outsider humor of American Dad (who ended up getting canceled about a year later and moving to TBS to its success), and leaving it with a fraction of a fraction of an audience that wouldn't be able to support it on a major network.

Also it got 4 seasons, not 3 for a total of 88 episodes. Not a terrible performance all things considered.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, I think they had a larger episode order that got split into 2 seasons so they were always gonna get it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPJQgxegiU

Inside Job part 2 first look.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Survival Crafting game the animated series is a strong enough premise, but it nothing in the trailer particularly excited me, and I'm not a fan of mutating blorbs as either transcendental dream sequences or real-life whatever.

It's certainly looks impressive and exciting if both uncomfortably beautiful and horrifying at the same time. The Voice acting needed work though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mississippi Queen remains one of my favorites

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I only watched the first season but someone pointed out how silent it was, just no background noise and I think that is part of why I was just could never get into it

also, I just plain don't like elfo

Elfo is awful. He's initially presented as the moral anchor character to the main trio, sorta like Leela in Futurama, but in addition to his morals degrading over the series he becomes the sorta simp-y character Fry does, but never in a charming or earnest way that Fry does despite both being idiots. He just doesn't work as a main character like the other two, or even the king, can.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This latest episode was basically an A plot straight out of regular sitcom. Just and utterly tired and cliche conflict at every single step.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I know there are much bigger concerns with this than the video game I like, but I really wonder how big of a blow to the Multiversus devs losing Cartoon Network would be. Would they also lose Adult Swim stuff too? Would they still have access to those characters?

Idk why they wouldn't have access to those characters. Cutting Cartoon Network doesn't mean that they're memory holing it like a bunch of the other stuff, just that the channel might get axed and the branding dissolved into the greater corporate whole

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Warner Discovery has decided that they never want to work with a cartoon creator ever again.

They decided they want Disney/Hulu and Netflix to eat their lunch in terms of animated content

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's the trailer for Mindy Kaling's Velma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm really struggling to see adult Scooby-Doo working for a full-length season unless it's just another series with some Scooby-Doo paint slapped on it. Happy to be wrong, but it's not inspiring confidence right now.

Really the only things making it more adult oriented would allow is jokes about things like alcohol, drugs, and sex for a Scooby series, and even then, I'd think it'd be at the level of Close Enough or Venture Bros. where it's more cartoonish than realistic. Things like violence or other darker stuff just doesn't mesh tonally at an explicit level with Scooby Doo whereas the Shaggy being a walking weed joke does (and then subverted with him saying that he acts like that because he watched some of his parents' home movies and thought that was cool and is otherwise sober).

Ultimately the quality of writing and concept is what helps it stand on its own feet. It why Mystery Inc., a slightly darker but still goofy series, is lauded for how it took the source material and made new and interesting facets that isn't all that held back by being a show nominally oriented towards kids.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nestharken posted:

It's a little weird that they're doing "Scooby-Doo, but darker and more self-aware" when Mystery Incorporated ended less than 10 years ago, but I guess they also felt the need to do 3 Spider-Man origin movies in 15 years, so whatever. Speaking of, Mystery Incorporated is far better than a Scooby-Doo show has any right to be, and everyone in this thread should go watch it if they haven't already.

And we'll never get a Scooby Doo at Miskatonic U series with guest star Harlan Ellison as Mister E.

There's a video upthread that pretty much points out how all of the gang in Mystery Incorporated except Velma are pretty much the best versions to base any variation of them. Velma in Mystery Inc is the cynical person in their group so she can be a bit too negative at times and it doesn't compound well with also being the smart person in the group.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

it took me a while to warm up, but i ended up really liking inside job's first season;

is this a full second run or like "season two part one"

Inside Job's first two episodes absolutely do not help endear the viewer to the characters. It's when they meet the reptilians when they start getting there

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

One thing I don’t follow is that they made a whole thing about changing the races of some of the characters, with VAs to match, but Daphne remains the same while being played by Constance Wu. I don’t have a problem with this in either direction or frankly care but it seems an odd diversion from the rest of the casting (as best I can tell).

Anyway, Weird Al is apparently in it so there’s at least that.

I thought they changed the races of the characters to match the VAs, not the other way around. And Daphne does look a little Asian, just light-skinned Asian. Is the character actually white?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess people don't really associate red hair with Asian people. But looking it up that actually does happen, if really rarely compared to Irish.

Or she dyed it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, the Snagglepuss series and the Flintstones ones have the same writer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Diabetic posted:

It's the core premise of Scooby that you have dickhead adults who think they know everything scaring people to get rich usually, and for some teenagers to unmask the charade to restore order with their intelligence.

Velma just says: No everyone is gross and disgusting.

That's not incorrect, but that show is also doing in it way that's not funny or charming.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Neo Yokio suffers from the thing where American audiences are unfamiliar with the concept of "slice-of-life" and get bewildered and angry when confronted with a piece of media that doesn't really have a plot.

SoLs are basically a type of Sitcom

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

While discussing scooby doo I didn’t like that they started Shaggy eating meat again (this was pre-Velma) once Lillard took over. They only did it to placate Casey but it was actually an interesting note that he was both a tireless glutton and had dietary restrictions, just like the fact that he and scoob are huge cowards but always the first ones to be placed in danger plus it made a lot of sense for the character: his best friends an animal!

Kasem really only convinced producers to make Shaggy a Vegetarian in 2002 so it seems a more flexible thing. Also no, it doesn't make a lot of sense especially because Scooby couldn't have those same diet restrictions so they'd not be able to share all their meals as they so often do (it's probably weirder that Scooby eats the stuff he does without getting sick but chalk that up to cartoon logic more than anything else).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That was Glenn Howerton doing Ernie!? Oh man, that dude really does have range. I really wish society as a whole respected voice acting more so that kind of talent was more celebrated and appreciated.

Kevin Michael Richardson voices both Principal Lewis and Billy on American Dad, that's a pretty good demonstration of how he can do both high pitched and low pitched characters: https://youtu.be/ZryhmfcCWkE?t=77

He's also Celevland Jr. on the Cleveland show, which always impressed me because it shows he can do multiple different versions of characters with a high pitched voice and have them sound completely different (compare Cleveland jr. to how Lester sounds, total different range)

Bullshit, Inside Job is STILL routinely on Netflix's most watched list, and so is Tuca and Birdie. I agree with you that a niche show with a small and dedicated can make lots of money off of merch, but these are shows that tons of people were watching and they still got canceled.

Damnit it Netflix! Just admit you hate animation even though your most popular shows are cartoons!

Isn't the "Most Watched" List also algorithmically curated?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Velma gets called out all the time though? And she's frequently dumb and wrong, or crosses moral lines like. The show makes an effort to show exactly why she's unpopular, it's not subtle about this.

And yet it sounds like the show doesn't seem to offer anything about her for the viewers to at least endear her to them in some way like how It's Always Sunny seems to do with its main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
TTG's characters also have actually likable characteristics amongst their annoying ones. Except Robin. He's just an annoying dweeb, but that helps to allow the other characters to bounce off of him in a good way and even allow them to seem normal in comparison.