Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you don't really wanna be pulled over with drugs in the south from what i've heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the neera/bibi clip made me so mad lol

what a great ep, maybe amber's best ever

she had a lot of great moments but bringing the Baby Yoda digression full circle was a masterclass

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

district 9 was the shittiest movie of the year and it wasn’t even close. what the gently caress is wrong with this thread lmao

District 9 ruled, Chappie and Elysium both sucked though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what was good about district 9 (sincere question)

it's the only movie to feature the lightning gun from Quake for starters

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Knives Out was the best movie Rian Johnson made since Brick but that's not saying much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

It is not better than The Brothers Bloom.

fair play i actually never saw that one

The Shape Of Water is decidedly b-tier Del Toro, like even Crimson Peak was better so it does feel a little off that Shape of Water got tons of oscars

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i like Michael Stuhlbarg but his subplot in Shape of Water was really lame. the Michael Shannon stuff was pretty lame too and I love him. movies have too many subplots these days.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Rob posted:

del toro made one good movie. pacific rim is legitimately an embarrassment.

Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are all bangers. I haven't seen it in years but I'll go to bat for Hellboy too, why not

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

When I worked in a kitchen in the Obama years I listened to a lot of NPR including wait wait even though it was mostly bad because the radio was stuck on that station (lol), I really can’t imagine listening to NPR during the Trump years though. Grim.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

and i mean, even in the Obama era i eventually started to realize the weird neoliberal slant it had after a while.

i was also weirded out every time Paula Poundstone showed up on wait wait don't tell me, didn't she try to rape a teenager or something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gio posted:

burger night way too low on that list.

and some real duds on that list imo

for real. the Glenn Beck episode should be top five

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

:discourse:

it’s the body language that really sells it

this was a good movie imo

Addams Family Values is the best ‘90s comedy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

matt's shtick about how old movies didn't pander is whatever but I'm watching the sorceror and it features a Palestinian bomber trying to knife a dude who killed an old nazi and it's barely a plot point, it rules

Sorcerer loving owns

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Russian troll farm posted:

I learned about Thomas Malthus in loving grade 9 social studies class. what the gently caress is wrong with goons

i went to public school

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

docbeard posted:

Given that, if memory serves, he was insistent on doing this Death March through the hottest most inhospitable parts of the US in summer (and I don't think he was even planning on carrying much water with him because there are 7-11s every couple miles in the loving desert, obviously) despite everyone else screaming at him that he was an idiot and would die if he tried this, this is by far the best possible ending that could have happened.

is this thread goldmined somewhere, I forgot all about this

edit: found it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Wire holds up in the sense that it's got an extremely good and huge ensemble cast that pretty much all give outstanding performances, and it did some neat things with TV narrative filmmaking. A lot of the writing is pretty cringe in retrospect though, and it is EXTREME copaganda, and even at the time I remember feeling like the cop parts were way less interesting than the parts that were just straight up crime drama about competing gangs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

there's a lot of cringy lib poo poo on the wire, but worst for me when the stupidest cop on the force gets a Teach for America job and then succeeds because he does the one weird trick from a 90s movie where he gets black kids to pay attention in school by making the lessons about drug deals

it's a shame because that season spends a good amount of time showing the reality of kids living in poverty how it's impossible for them to do well in school under those conditions and then he throws that away for some charter school propaganda BS

Prezbylewski's entire character arc is definitely one of the things that has held up the worst, which is funny because it's the part everyone was going nuts over back then

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was hoping carcetti would be some kind of littlefinger esque mastermind and instead he does absolutely nothing of consequence after having a whole season devoted to his election

I mean, that is a pretty dead on portrayal of municipal politics

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pizza Segregationist posted:

it would be cool if chapo brought on someone new to replace virgil but finding a good fit seems pretty tricky

Libby Watson

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Victory Position posted:

going to have my kids listen to American Idiot as soon as they're old enough

just give them Midwestern Songs of the Americas instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4RzEDRxVt0

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Josh Christ posted:

I went to a really bad show in an unheated room in the middle of a new York winter once and the only thing I remember was some local band doing a killer cover of Superpowers which is honestly the best working class anthem, followed closely by folk song, d4 ruled and it sucks that they haven't done a new album in almost 15 years

:hmmyes:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's not that Steely Dan aren't good, it's just that they're extremely lame. nothing wrong with liking them so long as you know you like lame music.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the big musical draw dropping off the bill at the last minute probably didn't help

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

interesting choice for a comedy podcast to do a reading series mocking a heartbroken woman putting down her suffering dog

yeah it owns

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

you cant walk into a vet's office and ask them to kill your dog because its bothering you.

you absolutely can

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lumpentroll posted:

something you want to confess?

had a crazy person in my family who was basically a cross between the lady from the article and Will's joke about pulling up to the animal shelter every week like "need something new." had multiple dogs put down under very sketchy circumstances. eventually another family member had to call all the shelters in the area and tell them to ban her from adopting any more dogs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lumpentroll posted:

like was it the same vet

that part i don't know, i do know her usual m.o. was to claim the dog had tried to bite someone, usually in instances that nobody else witnessed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Malleum posted:

he created an account exclusively to shill his stupid podcast and never posted outside that one thread

and then the thread got closed lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

The what incident? I am so out of the loop.

xtal threatened to kill Larry Parrish by posting the n word at him

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1410705957202563074

Chapo is basically "dumb op-ed reviews" now. lol

you're aware that's literally what the show has been since the beginning right

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger posted:

How, as a seemingly comprehensive history of culture through television, can they not do Twin peaks.

good shows only

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the best HBO show was Tales From the Crypt and you can't even watch it on HBO anymore peak TV is bullshit

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grevling posted:

I think you have to be Canadian, German or Finnish to have watched Lexx. But that's one of the shows I have watched so they should have talked about it.

i'm in the US and it was on late at night on the sci fi channel here i think

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

also the description of know your enemy, "Listening to “Know Your Enemy” can feel like visiting a semi-reclusive friend whose apartment is crammed with out-of-print books, but who always keeps a stash of good bourbon on hand" makes it sound absolutely unbearable lol, although im sure the podcast itself is probably fine

i feel like i've heard good things abut Know Your Enemy at some point but man that article made it sound unlistenable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i do vaguely remember when shooter came out but i guess thought it was a movie about the dc sniper. did they ever make a dc sniper movie?

Blue Caprice is extremely good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

feeling less crazy about turning it off right now. here's what i said about it in the cumtown thread:

it sucked so bad lol

lol you thought NYT columnist Wesley Morris was a member of The Roots?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

NO! I must have gotten confused because they run him complaining about the n-pass directly after tariq trotter talks about the set. so i guess the interviews blended together in my brain.

wesley morris was a massive loving nerd and i hated him the second i heard him.

this makes me feel better about the roots.

ah fair i didn't actually watch the documentary i just saw that clip & listened to the chapo episode.

would've been funny though, that Wesley guy is a dweeb

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Topo Chico Twist of Lime is the ultimate soft drink. I am not a crackpot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

inferis posted:

moxie is the best soft drink

this poster is a real one.

my mom is a big moxie head and she insists they recently changed the recipe and it's not as good now, i think it still tastes the same (great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Prince Myshkin posted:

Shaka...when the walls fell

lol