Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

TeenageArchipelago posted:

NPR helps me understand Limbaugh listeners because it would be so refreshing to be mad WITH the radio instead of at it for once

npr has awful politics though, you mean you are mad at both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
my favorite hard hitting TAL reporting was the one on “maybe disabled people are welfare queens?” just questions being asked. brought to you by the gates foundation.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

catching up on trueanon and drat the spider network series is good as hell

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

the Permanent uncle episodes of True Anon are incredible.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Stop trying to police opinions you don't like.

in fairness the opinion was dogshit.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

just a more boring jon pop

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

zegermans posted:

I liked how Amber said actaully most cops just want to help people

this is the dumbest interpretation of her point

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

it is the precise opposite of that

if the problem is that only bad people become police, a credible solution is to get good people in and have them fix poo poo. if you accept that a lot of these people have ordinary, basically decent motivations, the reason for the dysfunction has to be structural - the problem isn't the individuals who want to be cops, it's the institution of the cop itself.

this is like, the exact take expressed on the show "the problem is that a job like "police" exists in the first place" and its very weird that this is somehow a controversial view on a seemingly leftist board.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

twitter takes will not doom or save the left. podcasts will not doom or save the left. this is the same “cancel cumtown” type dance.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

why the hell is it podcasts that get people to lose their mind? is it because so many people pretend they are all friends or something?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

all this lefty podcasty drama stuff goes way over my head, tried TrueAnon out recently but the guy is kinda annoying so idk if ill keep going

Revolutions ain't coming back until December now apparently so that sucks but hey never a bad time to relisten to old episodes

trueanon and the twitter drags they get involved in is the best becase brace has actually lived his convictions more than any other podcaster out there: literally fighting with the ypg, unionizing anchor steam, and of course stanning for nick mullen.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

yea maybe it’s my own projection but liberal calls for objectivity in journalism always just ring as endorsement of neoliberal trash like npr poo poo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

im not sure I've ever seen a single big TV show I could say was overall good. theres just ones that had more enjoyable moments than they did network tv bullshit happening. like theres not one I'd want to rewatch over and over like i have hot fuzz or ghost in the shell. i guess I've rewatched literally all of aqua teen like 3 times so maybe that's the best TV show in my opinion.

leftovers is good as hell

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Majorian posted:

I'm still genuinely amazed that he managed not to gently caress up "Watchmen."

actually that show sucked hard, sorry man

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

yea HBO’s watchmen makes me completely sympathetic to Alan Moore’s point of view

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

it’s great how every time will Menander goes on cum town they spend 20 minutes talking about Star Trek

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

true anon Christmas ep is good

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Often Abbreviated posted:

waitasecond, you think the wealth of the KING OF ENGLAND in 1295 consisted of the crown of england and not, for instance, england?

sorry maybe this has already been covered butn catching up and just hit this post and it’s cracking me up. you legit just inverted your entire argument lol.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I suppose the good news is that we can all stop being communists now. the fact that there hasn't been a communist revolution proves that there is no need for one, as people would naturally follow their material self interest if one were required. truly we live in the best of all possible worlds

yes communism, the obvious foil to materialism.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

alright, now I'm arguing against a second line of posters who weren't part of and didn't follow the original argument but are 100% certain that whatever it was about I was wrong

that's enough for now.

sorry dude I’ve been busy with work. just now catching up.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

what book was Brace referencing in the latest episode? I didn’t catch it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

MAGAMaiden was excellent. Maybe their best since the spider network series. I had to turn off the latest blackwater one because i was getting too mad.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I always thought they were referencing usaid which is 100% cia.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

the finkelstein interview is fantastic and better content than most of chapo in long long time

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

thotsky posted:

I don't think anyone was suggesting forced abortions or anything, so you've lost me.

I am more commenting on whether there should be a moral core to our politics or not. In my view, Libertariansism would be my example of a prominent ideology that tries to do away with moral concerns in their politics. I disagree with that approach.

At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

it's easy to muster a powerful response to moral stimuli; but for them to retain their effect requires the development of a consciousness in which there is a new priority of values.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

podcast names are that word from pontypool that drives everyone insane except instead of like killing each other they have to go 4 days without sleep to post about like how anyone who laughed at sopranos pepper Anne is a class traitor

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

oxsnard posted:

podcasts I listen to a loy6

-trilbilly worker party
-last podcast on the left
-dollop
-behind the Bastards (my fav)
-QAA
-underculture
-insurgents
-macro voices

podcasts I listen to in spurts

-revolutions
-HH
-This american life

podcasts I listen to if a specific episode is highlighted or used to listen to a lot but got burned out on

-citations needed
-chapo
-comedy bang bang

what else should I be listening to

stop listening to this american life. true anon is probably the best podcast out there. also add cum town.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

remember how TAL had a very special like weeklong expose on how disability queens were bankrupting the poor government and they need help defending all of their rejections from those awful poors and their appeals

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Serial was kinda fun because at the start it's very clear that the host believes the trial was a horrendous miscarriage of justice and an innocent man is in jail, and by the end it's very clear that she's half right, he shouldn't have been convicted based on the case the prosecution made, but also he still probably did it.

it's been years since i listened to it but the big thing I remember is how it low key cast all kinds of suspicion on his friend Jay to the point where Jay finally gave a separate interview about his experience that was entirely more consistent and convincing than anything Koenig was trying to present.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

oxsnard posted:

is this thread pro or anti Hardcore History?

lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

jesus just put on some dave harvey and go for a hike or something

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

Listening to both parts of the Finkelstein episode made me realize that I have listened to far too little of TrueAnon. What are some of the best episodes that don't just rehash Epstein/Ghislaine and their wider circle ad nauseum?

the spider network stuff is their best

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I wish ghost was still here. The bellingcat being outed as spooks is a hollow victory over robert Evans.

was there anyone left who hadn’t known they were an op?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Xaris posted:

tbf everyone the nebulous “left” calls everything an op or grift and as such they’ve lost all meaning

I mean specifically as “funded by the cia”

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

It is funny that the extinction of humanity through simply not being able to procreate is perceived as some kind of tragedy when it’s literally the best case scenario. Nobody is genocided or dies unnecessarily, the whole thing just fades away, and you still get to gently caress so it’s only a problem if you’re a pedophile. You really do have to be a “muh legacy” person to even conceive of that situation being a negative lol

e: wrong thread but I stand by all of this

look, an insane person

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

the Venn diagram of liberals who have completely rewritten their various neuroses around Donald trump and the ones who have replaced any kind of social interaction with mock ups of supposed Twitter and podcast personalities has to be close to a perfect circle

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

This. The mods hate me for my truth. Also they really need to stop promoting mods out of those cesspits lol, real patient running the asylum vibes.

all communities like that become more insular overtime where social norms begin to revolve around individual characters and personalities. it’s why you get people posting 17 pages of deeply personal poo poo that becomes accepted and eventually encouraged as a type of meta narrative in like the Pokémon go mega thread

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

xtal posted:

Leftists don't use paid, proprietary, private platforms to spread the message of anticapitalism and anticorporatism.

It's about Sons of Anarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

“jax,having aspirations as a larger than life activist for his community, but unable to disentangle his own arrested development from the trauma of his lovely childhood leads to his kid getting taken by dumb Irish dudes. luckily he has blu chew so he can get busy making that new kid”

me on Twitter: very disheartening that Felix and Matt have betrayed the solidarity of their extended project of which I am a part in my personal capacity by not sharing this praxis with us in the open.