Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this is my first Fire Emblem game and I’m enjoying it a lot. two and a half hours in and my main takeaway so far is “god drat Manuela is horny”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh also I’m in my second month and could use some recruiting tips. most of the people I go after want my faith or magic to be higher and I’m not sure how to raise those

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have a question about Jeralt:

he just died in my playthrough, and I wonder why did Edelgard have him killed? if she's talked to Byleth about it she'd have known he had reservations about the church and Rhea and probably could have recruited him to her cause once she had his son on her side. seems like poor planning, but maybe there's a reason that I just haven't gotten to in the plot yet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oops, I made Lysie my dancer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's probably because I haven't gotten to the point where this stuff is introduced or explained but whenever I see people talking about striding, warping, canto etc. I am totally lost

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oooh, I've been using that stuff (except warp) already without knowing what it was called. thanks!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm nearing the end of a Bleagles run and I'm already dreading having to go up against El if I do another playthrough. she's right, you can't let literal lizards run the continent even if they do have cool hair. also tragic backstory. I'm definitely recruiting Bernie and StarfirePetra when I do start a GD run.

who are your least favorite recruitable characters? mine are Hilda and Ignatz. so glad I got to kill them both

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

she's lazy and seems like a jerk (and is racist based on what other posters have said about her and Cyril's supports)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just learned you can restore HP between rounds in tournaments. never even looked for the option. lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tae posted:

If racism is a problem for picking students, I got bad news for you

as long as they're ashamed enough about it to keep it to themselves

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is there any decent tutorial to learn about classes? I've just been doing whatever and taking certifications as characters qualify, but it looks like I'm leaving a lot on the table

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sydin posted:

Edelgard is Ashnard but less overtly crazy and Darwinian about it. In the BL route Dimitri straight up calls out Edelgard over how even if her plan went off exactly how she wants it to, it would only benefit those who are strongest of will, with everybody else getting crushed underfoot in the process of creating her ideal world.

losers always say stuff like that though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

A question for everyone: aside from the house leaders/their 2nd in command, who did you find to be ridiculously good?
Catherine/Lysithea/Felix are kind of obvious, but I also found that Ferdinand wrecks everyone's poo poo if you put him on a dragon instead of a horse

Ferdinand was a pincushion early on for me but he's turned it around post timeskip. my MVPs are Petra and Bernie, though. Petra can one shot most units since she's an A in bow and sword, and does really well avoiding hits. I got Bernie's Lance up and stuck her on a horse and she's like a Mongol in the field. a bit fragile against heavy armored units but still able to take a couple hits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why do they let you marry the child goddess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

liars often don't use contractions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

same, she's my Swiss army knife in most maps

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Flayn's refusal to use contractions is more stand-out than Ferdie's.

it makes sense for a kid who's playing at maturity

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I got Bernie on a horse and she's obliterating everything

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

Lysithea and Linhardt ending has Linhardt removing her crests, letting her live a long and normal life

I’m not even using Linhardt, I’m just having the two of them dine together all the time.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oooh, I love this stuff. Did you know that?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Despera posted:

I need a "Feel the Bern" Bernadette tag.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tbqh you should be able to side against the church on every route

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Edelgard is real and strong and she's my friend

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a lot of that critique ignores that she's got a ticking clock, not to mention the fact that the empire's war machine was already rolling the second she gave the order means she did a lot of work cleaning up imperial nobility behind the scenes already. plus it's easier to enact the sort of grand sweeping reforms she wants once everyone's personal retinues are beat to gently caress and she has a large class of merit-based commanders and troops that are loyal directly to her

it's not a perfect plan by any means but she's said she's willing to trade perfection for expediency

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eimi posted:

Yeah, and it's unknown how much of it was under her control. She was raised under the thumb of the Slitherers and they have been planning this war for a while, I think a lot of it is her basically trying to seize control of their already in motion plan, rather than oppose it from a position of absolute weakness. I think people see the term Emperor and think Augustus when they are like the emperor of Japan pre Meiji, just basically there to look pretty while the ministers/shogun do the real work of governance.

her origin story goes to prove that last point as well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rhea only causes less death that we see; she's been in charge for one k years and we know she has no compunctions about killing people, including children, who question the church. it's definitely implied to be at least as bad as medieval Catholics if not worse since she's basically the dragon of Revelation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wonder why Sothis is so wholly ineffectual at the period the game takes place

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Harrow posted:

She's super dead and has been so for a very long time. Her consciousness hangs out in Byleth's body but she has nowhere near her full power. Even when you merge and gain her power you're probably only a shadow of what she once was.

why though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Arkeus posted:

Huh... She says talking to the Almyrian would probably work because they aren't fanatics. E.G, the alliance isn't "because they don't believe the goddess" but "because they can listen to her which Foldans can't".

also in her A support with Manuela she says she likes a lot about the religion just not the dogmatic worshippers (which everyone in power happens to be)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Edelgard is just really bad at scheming. All of her plans are pretty terrible. She really should have tried to get Claude on her side, at least the man can make a plan.

Hellioning posted:

Maybe they just know that Lorenz is probably gonna be the next Alliance leader if not for Claude, and he has Empire leanings?

Or maybe they just think he's incompetent.

she doesn't have the time to wait for Claude, Lorenz, or even Dimitri to take power. like the proverbial crack head, she's gotta make moves and poo poo isn't always gonna be safe or ideal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

on the BE fight vs Dimitri I had to divine pulse like 8 times before even one character could get a loving hit in on him, and I had at least 5 per turn trying (and at least one of them getting OHKOed). even Bernie, my beloved horse archer, couldn't loving hit him. on the last go around though Byleth and El each got him (after a Bernie and Petra miss), taking him down in one turn. very annoying.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just finished my first playthrough. how on Earth am I supposed to fight against my prized pupil and wife, the one and true emperor of all of Fodlan

piss

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Hilda's one of the characters I'm interested in seeing what the deal is about, because I couldn't interact with her at all on my route and she seemed extremely obnoxious, but people seem to really like her

I was super glad to kill her in my BE run

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who from GD can I pair with Lysithia that will keep her alive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Andrast posted:

Poaching too many students just makes post time skip worse since there's less weight to everything imo

good. I'm poaching all the Bleagles

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

does Marianne ever become likable? I'm on chapter six, seen around 10-12 supports, and she's like if you took all the endearing qualities away from Bernie. Debbie Downer on a hundred thousand trillion

also I'll never like Seteth because he's with the Church and even though I'm fighting Ultimo Emperor Edelgard this run it's just to protect as many of my wonderful students as I can, I still hate him and Rhea. and Catherine for that matter. Flayn is aiight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm glad to hear Marianne turns it around. I always select the most gentle responses cause I want her to open up a bit but it seems like that stuff is locked behind the skip

Eimi posted:

If I have to kill my wife no one gets a happy ending. :argh:

our wife

not a bot posted:

But Bernie has no endearing qualities :confused:

please do not tropl us Bernie Bros thanks,

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

your budget should increase pretty drastically after the first month with getting to do three auxiliary battles and the church 5k

e: but as for an answer your actual question, I don't know

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I like Claude a lot an I'm glad they gave you the option to spare him in the BEE route. him and Lysithia are sharing every meal and doing choir practice every other week because he'll scheme her out of this jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shinji117 posted:

Use Byleth or E to land last hit.

ooh, I didn't realize it was that limited. glad I lucked out