Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Why though? She isn't actually proposing anything that will damage the Democratic party. At least the 2008 operation chaos idiocy had a logical through line of nobody would vote for a black man and it'll hurt Hillary.

Unless they think she'll actually destroy Donny in the astral plane, live, and in the middle of a debate, giving them a shot at holding on to the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ogmius815 posted:

Guys Marianne Williamson is not going to be the democratic nominee.

:toxx:If Marianne Williamson is the democratic nominee, I will get a tattoo of VitalSign’s choice on a part of my body ordinarily covered by clothing. :toxx:

Very brave, I don't think I'd bet on even a negative probability event with a genital tat on the line.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't Bernie been polling best in New Hampshire for a while? And his ground game is focused there. If he wins the first primary then the 'electability' voters are gonna switch fast, Biden will in all likelihood crash hard. After that the question is how the establishment responds.

It depends. If Biden manages to win Iowa then Bernie winning New Hampshire doesn't necessarily knock him out. If biden loses both Iowa and New Hampshire he's totally done.

I have faith in the good people of Iowa to remember their history and vote for virtually every other candidate before they vote for Biden.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

eviltastic posted:

There are some other choice Kesslerisms in the article as well.

My favorite:

You know a quality fact check when you smell burnt toast after thinking about it.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Yes we should definitely trust the GOP to come up with a good replacement since they've been working on it for so long.

Unless the 5 conservatives are going to toss in their own replacement law while finding the ACA unconstitutional I don't think it matters how much you trust the scorpion.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 1, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Helsing posted:

It seems like a conscious strategy though, publicly declaring yourself in favour of doing something when all the cameras are rolling and then quietly walking it back the next day on the assumption nobody who matters will call you out on it. It feels a lot more cynical than just feeling the need to please a given audience in the moment.

This is the result of sucking up all Hillary's lovely staff that she could. Because if you want to win you should definitely take all the advice you can get from veterans of Hillary 08 and Hillary 16.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calibanibal posted:

Maybe we can give Warren a chance to fix the plan before we throw her to the wolves?

You fool! Getting thrown to the wolves is part 6b of her plan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HannibalBarca posted:

The Hell of it is, would this even matter now? Aside from catharsis, anyway. The McConnell playbook isn't exactly a complicated one. Are we supposed to believe that it takes a uniquely indomitable strength of will to be an obstructionist jagoff as Senate leader, especially since it's proven now to be such a tremendous success?

It probably takes a true piece of poo poo like McConnell to think up and enact most of the more egregious poo poo they've been doing in the Senate. For instance, I don't think anyone else who might have been Majority Leader in 2016 would have simply refused to even talk to Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court. Of course, now that he's trail blazed new inroads into assholery, whoever takes over probably largely maintains. But, that depends on who gets the job and still limits new frontiers in assholery.

Like if Ted Cruz somehow takes over, then yeah, we get pure evil 24/7. On the other hand if Mitt Romeny manages to get the job then it'll probably be regular levels of douchebaggery. One of the perpetually very concerned Senators isn't going to have the drive to wake up and push the boundaries of evil every day. They just don't have the same passion for evil as ol' Mitch.

I think the "catching the vapors" contengent of the caucus is most likely to take over from Mitch at the moment. We still aren't so far gone as to have the Cotton, Lee, and Cruz contingent in ascendancy.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 8, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wasn't he the last person to declare?

I could be thinking of one of the other 30 indistinguishable white guys though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calibanibal posted:

The elementary school near my apartment is at very little risk of coming down with a sudden case of the drones

It's very sad that not a single one of the kids at your neighborhood school is on Santa's Nice list.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

goethe.cx posted:

Welp, Bernie’s cancelled. Guess I’m voting Trump

You gotta let him finish first.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Who knew Avalon was in Vermont?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aren't these things already part of your score? I know a few years ago a lack of rental/property ownership records was a ding on my score.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

I guess he noticed he's drawing about zero African American support

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1149265718816497664

Has there ever been an "investment in freedom" that wasn't total horeshit trying to fly under the radar via buzzwords?

I'm pretty sure every time we've invested in freedom the only dividend has been repression and death.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden that low in Iowa is not good for him

It's more than 16 times better than he's ever done in Iowa. Joementum is real, my friends.

Also, when looking at his 1988 run I learned both that Biden never changes and that he is anti-coke.

quote:

Once underway, Biden's campaign messaging became confused due to staff rivalries and bickering. Four different themes were presented, sometimes simultaneously: "Pepsi Generation", "Voice of optimism", "Save the children", and "Scold the voters".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

They're going to need to significantly clear the minimum donor threshold to make it into the top 20.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be nice if polls that ask respondents how closely they pay attention to politics, or how informed they are, followed up with general questions of fact to then gauge the quality of the respondents information.

I mean, I know someone who follows politics and the news very closely, but they do so through absolute garbage sources. I also know someone who thinks they are highly informed about politics because political news is currently highly pervasive in the culture. Neither one knows dick, but would respond to a question about how closely they're following things with "very".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Polls used to do exactly this! These are called “filter questions”. Of course, using filter questions tends to yield a smaller sample and less sensational results, so polling firms don’t do this anymore, because integrity is hard and gently caress it, right?

Oh, I don't want them filtered out. They're still people at least marginally engaged and somewhat likely to vote. I just want a follow up breakdown where we find out that X% of those who self report as closely following politics, or whatever, can/cant answer simple questions of fact and Y% of those who don't self report as such can/can't.

All the other categories, other than liberal/conservative, that voters are broken down into in these polls have some level of quantitative basis. Men think this, Rich people think this, High School only educated think this. But the segment of voters who make up the closely following/highly informed/whatever grouping is subjective as gently caress. Which is a problem, because the entire point of the question is to try and differentiate people who are like us and really paying attention and those who catch a soundbite or two on the TV when they're eating lunch at Zaxby's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gotta be honest, I was not expecting him to open his campaign with a plea to leave Beyonce's money alone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mcmagic posted:

What the gently caress he does have to gain from this? Don't do what Trump did isn't loving good enough?

The idea of the contiguously flowing foreign policy of the US, unbound by domestic partisan squabbles is a hell of a drug. A drug Donny views with the same benevolence as Jeff Sessions views marijuana.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Condiv posted:

i only got 2 out of 6 correct

also, i love in the video how the guy interviewing bernie says he doesn't have the whole quote, but when bernie fills in the blanks for him he says "that's true but..."

Gotta love the Obama switch out on the last question.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Reverend Dr posted:

Self-Funding is a broad faced lie. He is not self-funding, he has loaned his campaign money, which his campaign will pay him back with interest.

That *is* his end-game for being in the race. He's probably not the only one, but he's the most obvious one (because he sure seems to be bad at this).

That particular grift requires other people or entities to also give your campaign money. Which rules it out for Delany.

Unless you think Bernie or Warren are going to go around fundraising to retire Delany's debt like Obama did for Hillary.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Majorian posted:

I have a feeling they'd be too quickly reminded of their own mortality and morbidity when they saw his red, bloated face straining as he tried to push his decrepit carcas an inch above the ground.

Trump's fans, on the other hand, would hallucinate a Garrison cartoon, because yaaaaay maga.

Nah, Biden looks like he can still do a couple push ups before going full fat kid in gym class. The perceptional difference is all he's going for anyway, because nobody thinks he looks better than the rest of the Clown Car and his entire being is tied up in 1970s good ol' boyism. It's the same "reasoning" behind his previous claim to totally be down to fight Donny behind the gym.

In the good old days, the ones Biden will totally return us to, people passed bipartisan plans to destroy the working class and successfully calling someone weak was a total slam dunk win. You can't vote for a wuss, guys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Craptacular! posted:

This is entirely bad headline context. Biden was asked what he’d do if Trump attacks his mental capacity and Biden said in kinder words that he’d point out how fat Trump is.

I'm not sure that an in depth plan to counter "you're senile" with "oh yeah, well you're fat" is actually any better than the headline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I still don’t get how that’s not an over the cap in kind donation to Warren. The effect is that you are giving her access to something she otherwise would not have been able to access and that is valued at $100k.

How is that any different than paying a commercial landlord $100k on behalf of Warren for her to use as a campaign HQ? Or to a jet company on her behalf to fly her around?

I don't think there's a limit to how much a part can give a candidate. So, using your example, a guy paid a comercial landlord $100k for a building in the name of the DNC. While everyone involved was winking like they have a tick, the DNC then decided to go ahead and let Warren use this nice new piece of real estate they just got from a nice donor who didn't give anything at all to Warren.

Our campaign finance laws are farcical.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is Williamson going to make the cutoff for the second debate?

All 20 people who made the cut off for the first debate made the cut off for the second. However once Swalwell admitted to the world that it was all a silly prank, that left one spot open.

The teens piloting the husk of Gravel, and the Democratic Governor of Montana who doesn't have a cool dog then were in the running for that last spot. Unfortunately the Gravel teens couldn't trick enough pollsters to include Gravel in their polls, so governor no cool dog got in instead because he got at least 1% of respondents in enough polls to win the tie breaker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? This thread consists almost entirely of people screaming about the inadequacies of every candidate that gets brought up, while each candidate's few embattled supporters frantically fend off attacks. Even Gravel, who is far more of a joke than Williamson and is mainly just running to draw attention to Twitter commies, gets roasted occasionally. Who do you feel is being let off the hook?

That one Mayor from Florida isn't being held to account by any of the cowards in this thread.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is this thread doing enough to help Marianne Williamson charge our nation's crystals?

Crystals are the distractor that keeps you from understanding the fundamental universal truths of auras.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mormonpartyboat posted:

she somehow hosed up the busing thing by currently having the exact same stance on busing that biden did in the 70s

Nah, that's a real dumb distillation of the issue. The context of time and the surrounding comments make a bug difference in how bad the surface same stance is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesus, his entire campaign is seriously based on hiding behind Beyonce. Also lol that we're pretending hard as all gently caress that Jay Z isn't there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

A person who doesn't mainline political news straight into their veins 24/7 is going to read this and wonder "why aren't I hearing about labor disputes with the other candidates' unionized staff?"

It is very true that not a single unionized worker in any other campaign is unhappy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

One reason I think Trump is going to win again is that the economic effects of his dumbshit policies haven’t come through yet, we’re still in the Obama economy so people’s checkbooks are either status quo ante or doing slightly better. Everything else is just stuff that pisses off people who are left of center, and that’s the major reason a lot of people voted for Trump in the first place, so mission accomplished! This is operating on the presumption that we’re going to have a candidate who isn’t making a competent economic argument, so basically anyone not named Bernie or Warren.

I think this is misunderstanding what happened in 2016. Donny didn't win because he activated a previously unknown need from Manslo's hierarchy to own the libs. He won because 1)people didn't like Hillary, 2) people thought Donny was going to lose anyway, and 3) people misjudged the effect of a big dumb idiot reality TV celebrity being in charge. Donny's victory has rendered reasons 2 and 3 moot, and as long as someone as hated by the public at large as Hillary isn't nominated, 1 is off the table as well.

Falling rear end backwards through the gaps in our electoral machinery isn't going to work twice in a row for him. Either he actually wins the popular vote after sufficient blood sacrifices to the dark ones, or he straight up loses. His massive approval inversion isn't because a lot of people kind of aren't on board, almost all of his over 50% disapproval is made up of hard core hate.

Iamgoofball posted:

as a previous bernie donator and a current bernie donator, i support bernie and will be voting for him but if he drops out beforehand i can see why people would shift over to supporting warren as a result

or maybe they should just merge their campaigns like voltron and go for a bernie/warren pres/vp ticket

i mean, who else are my fellow bernie supporters going to vote for, the cop? biden?

Once again I renew my request that people stop putting forward stupid VP nominations of people who are far, far more useful in their current position than that the position of waiting around for something to happen to President Bernie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Helsing posted:

Not that this message will gain much headway with this terminally online audience, but try to make peace with the fact that voting and donating are among the least significant or consequential political acts you can take, and find ways to get involved in organizing around issues like wages, rent, discrimination, police violence, poverty, etc. Elections can be a useful way of mobilizing support and trying to push new ideas into public consciousness but realistically speaking the US government will likely collapse before a left wing candidate ever gains power.

But what if I wear my Bernie T-Shirts to the store?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This post is heavily dependent on a lot of people voting blue no matter who

When people think it'll make a real difference, the vast majority do vote blue no matter who. 2016 wasn't the result of the principled left finally refusing to hold their nose for the dog poo poo Democratic Candidate. It was the general voting public deciding that the election was in the bag and that the worst thing Donny would do was be a punchline for 4 years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Awful CompSloth posted:

Elizabeth Warren will be the Bartlet presidency they people here so desperately want

No, Harris is running to be President Santos and Biden is the one running to be President Bartlet. It is my understanding that Warren is running to be Dave.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mandatory lesbian posted:

Imagine being stupid enough to think crime tourism is real

I road trip all my crimes. Just a quick Google of nice attractions with low bail and I'm on my way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gripweed posted:

There's lots of good reasons. Increasing name recognition for future races, running for a cabinet position, they think it'll go down to a brokered convention where who the gently caress knows what will happen, they're having an affair and need an excuse to be away from home, they're lonely, etc.

You're super over thinking this.

There are so many people in the primary because Donny is the president. Since most people think he's an aberration, they think "why the gently caress not me, surely I'm better than him."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sam Bee isn't wrong, everyone polling below top 6 should probably drop out after the second debate. They can all read as many auras as they want.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Moving on from sexual assault apologia, We re so so so so hosed if the economy stays strong

https://twitter.com/jwpetersNYT/status/1153416613980454914

Ah yes, the newest "Trump voters not phased by Trump's racism" article. Truly it's the economy keeping the MAGA majority on board.

I'll begin to worry when we start seeing articles about people who didn't vote for him last time talking about how they're totally on board now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punk da Bundo posted:

He’s so , so pathetic . What kind of goober says he want to punch Trump in the face? And then goes on to say how big and strong and tough and manly he is and he’d hurt the big bad Orangeman.

Biden wants to do push-ups , Booker wants to act tough , it’s such embarrassing posturing

Looks like someone already forgot the time Biden and Donny shared a media cycle about how they'd totally kick each other's rear end behind the gym.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone who tells you Donny is worse than anyone could have predicted is a fool and a liar. The only people who weren't calling for a total poo poo show were desperately hoping for a miracle. If anything, the sheer incompetence of team Donny is the only thing preventing Donny from actually being fully as bad as was predicted.