Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

idk about their overall business ethics etc but ubisoft make some sweet as gently caress games under all the corporate bullshit

i worked for a shitload of garbage companies both in and out of video games where I never lasted more than a couple years and ive been at ubisoft for 7 years and i dont see myself ever quitting

unless the corporate culture somehow becomes a shitshow, like it would likely have happened if vivendi succeeded in their hostile takeover

rear end posted:

Let's not forget that blender, up until like 2 years ago, looked like this.

if by 2 years you mean 10 years then yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

assassins creed origins is probably the best game I have ever played

thanks for personally creating bayek

i dont work on asscreed but i'm happy that you enjoy it

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I refuse to give Ubisoft a pass in the good software thread. Uplay is a God drat abomination. I was forced to make an account to play a game on steam and I got an email not 5 days later saying they had a data breach and I should change my passwords.

welp
time to write my resignation letter

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
those tutorials own

if you play around a bit with the blender modifier stack you can easily figure where most of the things he uses are

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
even the zombies at the end are the subject of another 1 minute tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

https://thebookofshaders.com/

this is definitely a weekends worth of work to get thru but interesting as gently caress

btw if you want to play with shaders i don't know if you already knew it but https://www.shadertoy.com/ is pretty cool

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
maybe you have to bake it for it to work in render? would make sense bc otherwise you'd be forced to always render all the frames in order from the beginning

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i didnt know what that meant but it gave me the right things to google and you were right

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HandsomeDimwittedGrunion-mobile.mp4

nice

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

wish the awful app let me only amber the pos instead of the whole site

awful.apk does :smug:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Practicing with shadow catchers and holdouts. Some of these things are fake, some are real. What do you think is CG?

the two things that contain balls and the pen

they are pretty good but im on a tablet and had to zoom to get a good look and the noise on these items gave it away

also i cant tell exactly what but something feels off with the pink balls, like maybe it seems theres less ambient occlusion than there ought to be

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Here's the final render with the above corrected.

Really nice!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

very slowly

you need to render a volume which isn’t necessarily hard but it’s a lot of loving to get the right absorption values and then it’s very very slow to render

luxrender has a bidirectional solver which in my experience was far far faster. I’ve never had much luck with volumetric lighting in cycles, it’s taken orders of magnitude more samples to not look like a mess

it can be done with eevee in real time, as seen at 3:23 in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxrwx7nmS5A

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

What's that guy on Youtube who has those videos on how to Blender well?

I can't remember which of the Echi threads it was from?

:shrug:

if you're thinking about these super cool 1 minute tutorial videos its Ian Hubert
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4Dq5VyfewIxxjzS34k2NES_PuDUIjRcY

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Nodes can also be written in open shading language: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/osl.html

although unfortunately that only works with cpu rendering

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

hopefully one day blender is it’s only fully loaded operating system

you can probably edit the windows registry to launch blender instead of explorer.exe

i had a friend who got pranked with this by his coworkers where they made it launch minesweeper at boot, he couldn't figure out what was wrong or how to fix it and asked for help about it like a week later
he didn't last long at that job

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i may be talking entirely out of my rear end bc i haven't played with blender in ages but I seem to recall that there's a setting somewhere to limit the number of successive bounces that cycles will follow for each ray, so maybe the rays are discarded before bouncing off the sticker (like it was already refracted like 3 or 4 times: once when going from air to glass, then glass to liquid, then liquid to glass again, then glass to air again, and at some point cycles goes like "hey gently caress it that's enough for this one")

fake edit: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/render_settings/light_paths.html

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

while i rarely say it i really like your stuff but that last one is amazing

it feels like it should be some music album's cover

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I gave it a crack recently. the potential is incredible.

I found though stuff like setting up the camera and rendering quite a challenge for whatever reason, and the built in renderer is slooooow

I suppose if you made a good decision and pirated it then you could use a good renderer or export into blender and use familiar tools

post the donut to andrew’s donut project

Our vfx artists at work use houdini to create animated textures for particle effects and they can pull off some amazing things with it

Interestingly though they also often use blender to visualize meshes generated by houdini, I guess houdini's renderer may be a bit lacking

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

loving around with animation nodes. is there a vanilla way to assign an animation loop to an object, then copy the object a bunch but offset the animation on each copy?
https://i.imgur.com/VFVoUZd.mp4

do you have access to the object's position as input?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

this is probably a pretty simple question but: what is the proper way to layer multiple materials on top of one another?

like let's say i have a soda can and i want a base aluminum material, and also a printed-on label. i want the aluminum to have some scratches and noise in it, with one set of uv maps for positioning that texture. i want the label printing to look like paint or plastic, and be mapped only around the center of the can, so it has a different material and its own set of uv maps. finally i want there to be some knockout holes in the label where the metal shows through, which i assume i can do with the alpha channels.

been poking around in the shader editor for a couple of days but i think i'm missing something. how?

i think you just create multiple uv maps on your object in "object data properties" then use multiple UV map input nodes to get each of them and plug them into their respective texture, and the rest is just node fuckery to blend things the way you want

edit: some good ideas in that lazy tutorial for the damaged sticker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeeVYZsBAYE

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 5, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

does this mean ubisoft use blender?

Yeah, Ubisoft uses it. At he studio where I work our vfx artists use it to render stuff they generate with houdini, i remember seeing it running on a technical artist's work station years ago to experiment with materials, etc. I stumbled on our lead vehicle artist playing with it a few months ago, he was super impressed and wished they could get rid of Max which they have grown to dislike for being super slow and annoying.

We're going to get there eventually as our various production toolchains improve and become more DCC agnostic.

2.8 got blender to a point where it really caught the industry's attention i think.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

sounds like they could add loops

also goto

Love for my render to get stuck bc i hosed up and did an infinite loop somewhere

You don't want that poo poo to be turing complete

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I've been working on a few things to help our vehicle artists with 3ds max and oh boy is this a monumental piece of garbage, especially compared to blender

So there's max script which is some hosed up scripting language w/ barely any ide support and some ridiculous integrated debugger, and you can also use python which have two different apis mapping to max's internals, one that is just automatically generated wrappers around the c++ api and which is not documented, and one generated with swig which is barely documented.

Oh and while you're working with that stuff you're like "ok there must be a window somewhere like in blender that can just display the entire scene tree with all the properties etc" but... nope.
Meanwhile in blender you have a preference option where it displays equivalent python snippets in the tooltip of absolutely any property widget

A tech artist made a thing with 3ds max nodes (think blender geometry nodes) to precompute damage normal maps and when you manipulate geometry like this it loses crease data on the edges because there's like 2 or 3 different mesh representations in 3ds max that all have different capabilities and the one that the node things works with doesn't store crease data, so now we're looking how to preserve this and reapply this and this is nightmarish stuff because anything can gently caress up the mesh's topology (especially converting mesh formats) and basically I'd just open blender nightly builds at home, look at the geometry nodes that can just seamlessly deal with crease data and weep

Also you regularly need to kill max (we actually have a special button for that that forcefully kill any and every max process bc artists need to do it all the time) and it takes ages to load

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I mean if all else fails you can always generate the geometry with a python script but I doubt that Sagebrush would go there for a class exercise

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the whole shtick of path tracing is to send random rays across the range of directions where rays should have bounced and use that to approximate the sum of all rays contributions at that point (more rays=better approximation=less noise) and I don't think subsurface scattering works differently

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

man I'm so far detached from actual 3D art poo poo that it took until last year for me to discover the wonder of using editable poly in 3ds max instead of editable mesh.

yeah max is dogshit and have two mesh implementations, a old one (editable mesh) and a new one (editable poly) and since they're too lazy they haven't updated a lot of code to use the new one so it converts it back to the old one silently in many cases, losing some information (like edge crease) in the process

none of this is transparent to the user, who have to janitor the usage of editable mesh versus editable poly by hand

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/IckyFaithfulIndri.mp4

done in blender using a musgrave to modify UVs

get u real hosed up

wonder what it looks like without the effect

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Songbearer posted:

The opposite end of the spectrum:

I might not have the best filenames but my collection tree is a loving forest

big com.sun.java.cock.balls.strategies.policies.providers.factories energy

but joke aside lots of structure is generally better than not having enough imo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
your work is inpressive

as a matter of fact professional artists tend to work like you are, at last in video games: they make a first rough version to get something working quickly, then they do retakes of it later (unless whatever it was ended up getting cut from the game :v:)

where I work we actually have several levels of quality ranging from L0 (first draft/prototype) to L3 (polished stuff that ships with the final game)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I also went through a tryhard fps period where i was trying to get good at sniping and it turns out that a lot of the advices to make the best of your mouse for that are useful since the goal is to maximize accuracy and speed

A couple thing i remember besides disabling acceleration: set windows' mouse speed to 6 and then make your mouse faster or slower by tweaking the mouse DPI instead, assuming your mouse offers the option that is (otherwise the cursor may sometimes skip pixels)

Another thing that helps a lot is to use a large mouse pad and to lower your mouse sensitivity. You need to make larger movements but it means you use your entire arm instead of just your wrist and this helps doing more precise movements

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I had a dust setup for this thing that was entirely in the materials
https://i.imgur.com/hoStjEN.mp4

its basically a noise bump texture applied only on horizontal surfaces and controlled with an ambient occlusion node so the dust appears concentrated along edges like along the line where the stand meets the circular base and on top ob the buttons (like yeah its meant to be dust it's not a compression artifact)

the effect is kinda subtle but it was enough to avoid the monitor to look pristine I guess

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I've managed to make soft edges by plugging a bevel input into the normal of the principled BSDF node, you have to play around with the radius and the samples

or you could just bevel the geometry

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

blender, unreal, or unity?

i guess comedy option godot also

I think godot is a more robust option than people give it credit for

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
They should create a new type of node graph to procedurally generate other node graphs

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

things don’t come for free however, the textures and models probably take the same space in memory, in my rocket game I had a few assets at 4k and 8k texture sizes and I couldn’t use many of them before performance took a hit

there are some incredible looking scenes showing off unreal engine 5, but I don’t think it’d be practical to make a game with those assets, not without a lot of reusing them, because all those textures and models are huge file size wise.

that video has a lot of instances of the same tree models, and it looks good for sure, but there will still need to be a lot of thought put into scenes, it’s more like nanite means don’t have to be considerate about LOD but you’ll will still have to give a poo poo about textures and memory

Yup. While the technology is impressive, there's also a big marketing component in all that. You still have to account for memory, and for loading times, and also for game installation size. And given that it seems a technology aimed at AAA games, and that AAA are generally open world games, memory and data streaming performance are even more important to get right. You don't want to get an OOM situation in a specific location in the world because there's too much poo poo on screen at that specific place, for instance.

(Re: texture size ask yourself "how large is it on the screen anyway? because unless the thing is seen from close up and fills the whole screen you very likely don't need anywhere as big as 4k)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

Blender on Metal has actually gotten really good tho. Not RTX good obv, but really decent compared to old OpenGL/Mac CUDA poo poo

Apple actually put a developer to work full time on blender to fix metal support etc

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it's the end of the semester and i'm :allears: listening to the students complain about doing their final renderings.

"omg, i had to let this rendering run for, like, two hours last night. i couldn't even use my computer that whole time!!"

"why is it still grainy? i set it to 250 samples!!"

they don't know how good they've got it. back in my day there was no such thing as a real-time preview, and the final render ran with a scanline . you just had to send it off and wait 12 hours and hope the output looked good enough to present :bahgawd:

Tell them about the denoising options, it's a lot faster and more effective than cranking up the samples

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hear me out: how about adding noise then denoising to get the denoising artifacts on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Yeah large open world games already use lots of procedural generation, it's just done offline and as tools used by the artists, rather than just having the whole world be dynamically generated like in say no mans sky

Nowadays a cool trick is to have your tools interface with Houdini so you can trace outlines of procedurally generated elements, then your tool gets Houdini to run a generation graph node with that outline as input & automatically integrate the output mesh as an asset in your game right where you requested it

in our current game they use it to make for instance super nice cliffs and terrain overhangs. Traditionally since height maps can't really do those you add meshes, but now to make those they just draw the shape of the cliff and Houdini generates the mesh and it gets inserted there on the fly, it's super efficient and gives really good results

I guess what unreal is trying go do there is to offer this as an integrated solution so you don't have to pony up for a Houdini license

another solution that is possible nowadays is to use blender although geometry nodes are probably not quite yet at the level of houdini