Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jack the Lad posted:

There may be reasons this is a dumb opinion but although XR could definitely be more effective than they have been so far, it's hard to argue that they haven't been more effective than just about anything else to do with global warming recently at getting attention for the topic.

Consciousness raising is liberal activism bullshit, you use awareness to build power or you fail.

I'm extremely glad that my criticisms and scepticism that I expressed in April are more widely acknowledged now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jack the Lad posted:

Absolutely agree, just hand wringing is a bit rubbish - but whose events I can attend instead to achieve change now?

Are we talking about comrades carrying out lone wolf direct action at coal plants, or what?

Not on SA we aren't.

There's a few groups trying to build support for a earth strike on 20th September - see if any of them are around you or otherwise try to get some traction through your union.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

LMAO we shall not see the likes of this spectacle again in our lifetime.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^^You coming to the organising meeting tonight at 6pm at the PRSC?

Halloween costume idea: Flavour Flav but the clock necklace is counting down to Brexit.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

It's maybe getting a little too theatrical, you know? Very much a carefully-managed spectacle.

Oh yes it's deliberately the greatest show on earth so I'm expecting absolute mania for the next three months.

Panic is a lot like a wave, you must ride on top of it rather than be consumed by it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I've been to an Earthstrike meeting and I'd recommend it to anyone involved in or thinking of getting involved in XR as the much better alternative.

There's still a lot of the anarcho freeform wankery but they're responsible with their advice and seem to want to be strategic about it all so they're likely to last longer, be more effective and just be better overall.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Firos posted:

If I've learned anything from listening to a million podcasts it's that you get everyone to record locally.

Yeah if you can all figure out local recording and some way of sharing the files then since you're editing anyway then it's a real improvement (so I have heard).

11 is the number of podcast hosts referred to as 'way too loving many for one show'.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Ok so local recordings, share the files on a Google drive, cut em together, release on soundcloud. Reckon we can start with 3 or 4 people, so if you have local recording ability confirm and we can kick it off!

Yeah I'll get involved. Hope I'm around whenever it's happening though!

Firos posted:

Name should be United Kingdom Mega Pod - UKMP

Actually a pretty good name.

Edit: P is stored in the calls.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Chips and meth is surprise winner of chip poll.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

That's still a bad result for Labour. If a new election polarises between leave and remain like 2017 squeezed all the third parties then Labour will have a bad time of it.

At this point though there's nothing they can do other than continue to oppose no deal brexit and wait for conference or the election.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

Brexit is a process that is guaranteed to take generations to unravel, regardless of the type of deal/no deal we have. It’ll be the sectarianism of the next 40-odd years.

Its absolutely going to be a sticking point for decades but a lot of fire will go out of it after it actually happens - since it will be a process then Labour can actually gain ground by saying "Yes that has happened but we've got to go on from this moment in time and here's our plan to do that."

Labour's indecision is damaging now but hopefully is laying the ground to say to both sides that they weren't absolutely opposed to what you want.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Sanford posted:

I don't Facebook myself, but apparently Adeptus Shitpostium and The Meme Ravens are the groups to hit to see people melting the gently caress down over this.

I'd be melting down too....

How the gently caress is she drinking directly out of the teapot!?!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Sanford posted:

Just catching up on the whole chips debate, if people want to settle this once and for all the owners of our local Chinese chippy have gone to China for six weeks and I have their keys and burglar alarm code. Six weeks is long enough for a proper empirical study, right?

Yeah absolutely.

Also live stream your wacky adventures.

Pesmerga posted:

I hope you’re right, but there’s a distinct culture wars aspect to this too that so definitely being played up by the right and far-right, which the FBPE and liberal centrists fall into too (and the left, particularly Lexiters are by no means excluded from this). I think we’re going to see a fragmentation or politics, not only along left-right lines, but also globalist/internationalist-isolationist/Empire 2.0 lines (with all those inherent tensions), and Labour will have a hard time squaring the circle of the various competing and contradictory demands of the electorate. And that’s leaving aside the legal and economic issues that will remain unresolved.

That's a challenge every country in the world is facing and the national economy side will win, which is good for Labour because they've got the history and policy for it while the Lib Dems will just openly sell out the UK internationally and the Tories will be split about whether to sell out the UK internationally or nationally.

Then it's an argument about how racist the country is which isn't looking so good but hopefully soft racists get their mouths stuffed with free bus passes and we have a directed economy and soft to open borders.

namesake fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 2, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

Make it a work of fiction where you're discussing political matters but in a world where we voted to remain.

A sealab 2021 rip off where we all just randomly shout BIZARRO and play clips of Boris Johnson.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Get back to beating men off for your wife please Owen.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Truly a timeless classic.

UKMP try outs are a dramatic reading of this.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Is that the debate where the overweight man just strips naked on stage?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I think Paul thinks that big alliances are always better no matter how nonsensical they are - NATO, EU, etc.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

#EUsupergirl and NotRacistWolf are a deep cover pro-Brexit org

Don't forget the Breunion Boys!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Using music from proper bands in online projects is always risky but that said this track has the UKMTP spirit throughout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo

Jose posted:

the canary is pretty questionable at times but still

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1157545827881181184?s=20

Yeah drat that's pretty lovely I hope the Canary makes it.

This SFFN twitter account is highly illustrative of the political landscape in the UK though - in the last five days they've targeted the Canary and Tommy Robinsons news website with twitter threads. The Canary attacks are pretty poor and are centred around the editors personal Twitter account, Tommy Robinsons website is taking contributions from open fascist conspiracy theorists. The Canary thread has been retweeted almost 500 times and the SFFN account then retweets several melt blue checkmarks that we repost here from time to time. The Tommy Robinson thread has been retweeted less that 20 times. There's this massive imbalance between the way attacks on the left are boosted at every turn by all parts of the establishment and how they treat the right.

namesake fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 3, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remember when Danny Baker lost his job for making effectively the same joke?

Well this went through editors approval rather than just out on his personal twitter so there's the full force of the paper behind that comment now and so obviously they can't be wrong/back down!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Oh man thinking of that the episode on Scottish independence is gonna be the one that destroys the podcast as 70% of the contributors morph into telegraph oped writers

New podcast name: We don't Talk about the Whether Scotland should be Independent or not.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

has boris even commented on it yet lol

I think he has visited and maybe sent a tweet?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just get the contributors together and drunk one night. Then loutishly yell/sing "ooo jeremy corbyn" into a microphone.

That's the opening to season 2.

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, I'd have to hear it.. but probably terrible.

What's fine for gaming sounds really bad on a podcast. Partially it's about the size of the diaphram - on a headset mic it will be tiny, pro recording (stand-mounted) mics are bigger. Like how you get lovely sound out of tiny speakers (at any sort of volume).

Help me budget

Guests £50
Advertising £30
Microphones £4000
Staff £10

Help me my podcast is dying

namesake fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 3, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

I'm in Bristol West so WOOOOAAAAHHHHHHH OOHHHHHHH Thangam Debbonaire is my MP. I don't have any real issue with her and I don't think there's any real issue with her, though I suppose the CLP might want to open up selection if there's somebody they're really behind.

At the very beginning (years ago now around the founding of momentum) there were rumblings about getting her out but she's either actually shaped up a bit and shown she will listen to the membership or my links to the CLP have become complicit in her network and aren't agitating against it any more.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Everyone is starting to expect an election now so open wrecking behaviour is going to be far less tolerated by everyone right now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Feeling quite poo poo about life at the moment, folks. Recently lost my little brother to a motorbike accident, and even at this bleak time my wretched family can't shut the gently caress up about their awful politics. My mum's partner is peak gammon and has a petulant need to immediately use any lovely slurs he's been asked not to. Even at the wake, my grandad decided to hold forth about how Island Britain has survived before, so no-deal Brexit is fine, really.

Thing is, I've been lurking these threads since the LF days, during Brown's tenure. I've learned a lot, but I'm completely out of step with the people around me. I feel completely alienated from most of the people that should otherwise be my support network.

I've been thinking of trying to get into some local volunteering, just to feel like I'm doing something with all these opinions I've built up. Anyone know of anything around Poole/Bournemouth? I'd join the local Labour party, but everything I've heard about CLP meetings suggests that they're not really a place to go if you're already miserable.

You've got the Labour Party World Transformed conference coming up in a few months, there's likely to be a lot of local groups hanging around in the fringe part of that - you might find something you like there.

Terribly sorry to hear about your brother as well.

Also Thangam Debbonaire is having a little meltdown on twitter about reselection so I withdraw my earlier defence of her.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

I can't wait to listen to whatever trainwreck you manage to record

The UK imports over two thirds of its trainwreck podcasts. I think that's a disgrace!

*smiles and waits for applause*

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

There's two sorts of millenials - those that grew up reading Harry Potter and who became cops and those that read Animorphs and who developed PTSD, an anger against oppression and rudimentary guerrilla warfare tactics.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Over a year old so I guess CUK will have shown them how popular that move would be.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Hey I'm trying to log into Discord but it tells me to "claim this account" and when I do it tells me the email is already registered, so I'm off to hunt for whatever login is the right one.

Yeah reminder to people wanting to do UKMP, we're doing a practice call in the discord in about 5 minutes.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

A planning lawyer I follow due to my day job has posted an excruciatingly detailed analysis of why even if Boris loses a no confidence vote we are still likely to leave on October 31st.

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-brief-digression-from-planning-law.html?m=1

It is very lawyery but in case anyone wants to understand in detail as to why we are hosed whatever happens and why Boris is being so bullish.

Yeah it's pretty much a done deal at this point however doing any of those manoeuvres will cost Boris the election and probably wreck the Tory party as there's this huge obvious dodge around democratic process and election coverage rules apply to media as the mechanics of no dealing unfold while Labour gets air time quite convincing saying Labour wouldn't have hosed it so badly and here's the manifesto plans to deal with it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

yeah basically, we wont have been the only ones that noticed that once you start telling the truth corbyn gets more popular
or that nobody gets punished for anything

and this time around there is everything to play for

If you're that confident that the structure of British legal society is so complicit and/or incompetent then why even care about parliament? You're saying there's no possible gains to be made on a procedural basis so why bother whether they're being fair to Corbyn or not because you can only progress by destroying it all.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

Spend it all then tank the economy and everyone with it. That’s the conservative pledge.

Yeah when I saw who was getting what positions it was obvious that Boris has a pro-austerity, pro-Brexit cabinet with the latter being the uniting force but if everyone actually wants the former as well then he's actually got a serious conflict built in. I'd guess his plan is to just get through Brexit and reshuffle (maybe after an election) but that just means there's a starker conflict of interest between a pro-austerity Chancellor, who might well be out on his arse one way or another, being required to spend billions. If any decent news journalist can start pressing them on the money even a little it'll start unravelling immediately.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oh god are they really having that date still printed on them?

Amazing. Just an every day, eternal 'fukkin owned lmao' to May.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

You think? Being called Dick Braine in the den of sharks that is Eton sounds like a recipe for incomprehensibly savage bullying. At the very least, some blueblood sociopath is going to take it as an invitation.

What qualifies as a loving stupid name kind of goes out of the window when you're having the poo poo kicked out of you by Head Boy Tarquin Monteguy de Lleyfuid of the Sussex de Lleyfuids.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THE UKMT PODCAST:

There are going to be more test calls today at 3pm and 8pm if there's any interest so log onto the discord and say hello if you can. There are a few ideas and proposals already around from the first call but nothing is firmly decided yet so feel free to bring your own thoughts.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

They could have a referendum between remain and May's deal (or Corbyn's deal, most likely a fairly minor tweak on May's deal in practice, if there's an election)

No they can't because Corbyns deal isn't a firm proposal, they could only have the choice as 'let Corbyn negotiate a new deal' which considering the whole point of the cabinet is to stop Corbyn being in charge to do things like try to negotiate a new deal would be even more nonsense.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay you've edited it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Sleve McDichael posted:

I'm vegetarian though :ohdear:

Me too but I'm still chomping on the bit to eat the rich.