Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arianya posted:

Listen, I'm just saying that if Anya was caught snatching paper from other kinds she would have got a Tinnus (or whatever the demerits are called), this chapter was a blatant example of favouritism :colbert:

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Bad Guy whose name I've forgotten's lack of interest in his son means that Loid's mission is doomed from the outset.

They live in the same house, and will likely end up attending major social events together. Plenty of material to work with there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I wonder if Damian's results being altered will come back to haunt him at some point. I bet Daybreak was sent by Becky...

I wonder if Daybreak was supposed to be a false flag sent by Donovan as part of one of his political battles. He failed and got fired because he wasn't caught like he was supposed to be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Daybreak punchline was magnificent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, can you really blame the author for wanting to see how a love triangle would work in the incredibly bizarre romantic setup they've created? C'mon, this is Spy x Family. The more chaos, the better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looking forward to Daybreak and Nightfall's inevitable hookup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

There's no way in a series like this Henry doesn't have some wild, complicated backstory.

Are you perhaps suggesting his backstory is... inelegant?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sixtutu622/status/1296375502526005250?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Headmaster is the best. A really good teacher.

Henderson is clearly influential within the school, but he's just the head of history and the homeroom teacher for Anya and Damian's class, not the headmaster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yor may not wear a disguise, but she's such an unstoppable, lightning-fast engine of destruction that Loid might not get a proper look at her face anyway. Just a dark, murderous blur.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

Or Loid and Yor collectively slaughter their way through everyone who stand in their way of a happy family life. Between Yor's combat power, Loid's spycraft, Anya's mind-reading, Bond's precognition and Scruffy's... something, they could put such a feat.

That's a Thorn Princess solution, though. Twilight prefers subtlety and diplomacy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

Protecc Anya from the horrors of the world.

Counterargument: let her join them and establish a family with them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Even being reminded that she doesn't have a real mother (Anya's origins remain extremely mysterious) would be enough to cause a kid in her situation to tear up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's clearly some appalling poo poo going on behind the scenes in Berlint, though (as the experiments that gave Bond and Anya their powers attest), so we're going to have to eventually get a name and a face to pin on that. Plus, Damian seems to have a pretty clear arc where he gradually frees himself from his dad's influence - the fact that he started off as such an utter little poo poo (and clearly has deep-seated emotional issues) does not speak well of Desmond. I don't really feel that a series with the premise of Spy X Family is going to ask its audience to be particularly kind to bad parents.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

it'd be pretty dope if they went with "gently caress world peace, it's better to be good parents" if that was indeed the desmond endgame

The story's thesis so far seems to be that political harmony derives naturally from familial harmony, with the Forger family's strengthening bonds making them more and more effective peacekeepers. That doesn't bode well for Bad Dad Desmond's role in the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, maybe there will be some twist, but I highly doubt it will be "actually Desmond is a good guy and Westalis/WISE are the bad guys." I think it'll more likely have something to do with Anya.

I do think that we can expect bad guys from both the East and West, given that both are presented as being largely morally equivalent. Maybe there'll even be villains in WISE. The organisation's big enough that it can be shady without implicating the characters we've grown to know and trust, and Loid's handler doesn't seem like she's senior enough to enforce her wisdom and morality on the entire Westalian intelligence service.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Eden Academy itself is pretty clear evidence that Ostania isn't even pretending to be any sort of communist state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Communist states have always had elites and institutions that cater to them, though

Yeah, but they're not usually so open about being for capitalists and aristocrats, right down to the insanely aggressive classism of their entrance exam. Place makes Eton look like an inner-city comprehensive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given the tone, themes, and style of storytelling of the manga so far, I'd assume that Melinda's purpose is to be the misguided but fundamentally decent parent who the Forgers help rebuild a proper family relationship with Damian in a heartwarming way, letting Donovan be the no-good rotten Bad Dad and Blofeld-esque supervillain who gets rewarded with a spectacular spy/assassin beatdown as his plans crumble around his ears. Introducing Yor to a Desmond she needs to kill just seems too easy. Introducing her - the incredibly self-conscious, socially-awkward weak link of the Forger family who's nevertheless a great mom in her own odd way - to an apparently perfect 'ordinary housewife' who needs to be taught how to be a proper mother seems like much more fun.

As for the rest of the Lady Patriots' Society, I assume that they'll mainly just be a bunch of basically decent, ordinary women stuck trying to live decent ordinary lives despite being in (informally or formally) arranged marriages to a bunch of horrible fash, and Yor will be the manic pixie dream assassin who teaches them that they can reach for something more. There will be one or two scary true believers, of course, but I suspect they'll only be secondary antagonists for Yor to rally the other wives against, rather than being the default personalities within the group. Spy X Family likes to go sentimental and crowd-pleasing - Endo isn't going to completely rob the main heroine of a chance at a proper friendship group who love and appreciate her for who she is.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 25, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I imagine it's more likely they are actually nice people, both because they actually are being nice, and because it's probably of more benefit to Yor's character arc for them to be nice. Melinda brought Yor to the game as a ringer in order to win, which everyone wanted to do, but no-one was even mildly annoyed to have lost, and they just wanted Yor to have fun. After which they wanted her to keep hanging around with them just to chat and have fun more. That's not just "seeming" nice; that is nice.

The main thrust of the actual story is about all 3 Forgers becoming better, more complete people outside their hidden lives. The whole "save the world thing" is just dressing to help that. Loid has Anya, Yor, Scruffy and his handler as a support circle making him a better person in various ways, Anya has Damian, Becky, Elegant and Yor has...no one outside Loid and Anya, really; both of whom she is convinced she has to be a lethal assassin (under the surface) to best help. At least up to now. The Lady Patriots Society gives her support characters she can just socialize with and be normal around, people who just want her to be normal and not with any kind of agenda. Which she kind of needs if she's going to ever become more than what she is, really.

I do think it's possible that the society turns out to have darker connotations at some point down the road, but even if it does then this seems like the kind of story where the people within it are all (or at least mostly) still good people, just wrapped up in bad organizations or ideas and need to be separated from them; violently, if need be.

I'd assume that the Lady Patriots' Society is a gilded cage for the women of the National Unity Party, with a few hardcore ultras within it to make sure the wives of Very Important Fash don't embarrass their husbands. So, a sinister organisation that also happens to be largely comprised of pleasant, genuine people who Yor will spend her time rescuing and/or inspiring, and maybe, in one or two cases, redeeming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely think that this is going to be more of an opportunity than a threat for the Forgers, even if they try their hardest to self-sabotage out of sheer neurosis. They're just way too competent for this sort of inept, half-arsed attack to seriously endanger them, and it'll probably end up strengthening their cover and improving their reputation with the Desmonds (because they're obviously such wonderful, trustworthy, patriotic citizens).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

probably. it's a situation that none of the current cast can really resolve. yuri's useless, yor can't act in public in front of a bunch of kids, loid is out of play, bond is a dog.

This situation seems like the perfect excuse for Yuri not to be useless, TBH. We've been told that he's a force of nature when he's not distracted by his sister, now we get to see it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, even within the internal morality of the story, the secret police's main contribution to this arc is torturing student protesters to death until they turn into terrorists, and then being unable to meet the terrorists' demands (because they've tortured too many of them to death for a prisoner exchange) and deciding to jump straight to mass child murder as their preferred solution. Yuri's side is actually coming off worse than the child-kidnapping terrorists, which is genuinely impressive, and he's going to have to put a hell of a lot of work in to get the audience rooting for him here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I'm stretching my memory here but the name Red Circus and their description absolutely has to be a reference to something real but I just can't remember.

They appear to be strongly inspired by the West German Red Army Faction in their history and ideology, in-keeping with Ostania being a repressive capitalist state rather than a communist one like East Germany.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I suspect we'll soon get a reminder that Henderson can throw a hell of a punch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The people Garden tends to target are straight up traitors to the country, or criminals. Shopkeeper while he does not appear to be fond of Desmond, he does not seem to view him as a target just because of his political beliefs.

Though he's very much a potential person of interest to the Garden for precisely those reasons. I assume they're just as interested as WISE in finding out what the gently caress is really up with him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think that at some point Damian is going to figure out Anya can read minds.

I’m not entirely sure why but he seems perceptive enough for it and it could be interesting

It would also just be funny if a small child figures it out before Loid and Yor do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That thought-process is so scrambled that I'm wondering if she's the victim of some actual psychic fuckery. Remember those suspicious scars on Donovan's temples?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I'm thinking it's simply that she got into a political marriage with someone she ended up hating, so some of those feelings get projected onto their son, making for a really toxic mixture of love and hate

I guess I'm mainly thinking about this in story-mechanical ways. We've had a recurring subplot about a covert organisation who have been engaging in deeply unethical psychic experiments, mind manipulation is one of the classic psychic powers, the main villain has suspicious scars on his temples, and now we're seeing that the mind of the main villain's wife is completely shattered and she's torn between extreme love and extreme hate of her son. It just seems like all of those being related somehow would be the most elegant situation (though very much not in the Henderson way).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it'd be weirder if the psychic conspiracy plot thread didn't get brought up again, wouldn't it?

It's not exactly wild speculation when two major characters already have backstory related to it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

The problem I have is that Desmond seemed pretty adamant that humans can't understand each other so I'd imagine if he did take part in any psychic experiments he was a failure and not a success like Anya was. If he could read minds I'd imagine he'd be less cynical because he'd be walking proof that it is possible. But he could also be just that jaded because he can read human minds with an adults perspective, unlike Anya, that even with perfect access to the thoughts of those around him he feels humans are incomprehensible.

Remember that the psychic experiments we've seen have resulted in at least two completely different powers. Brainwashing/compulsion without telepathy might be thematically fitting for Desmond - he can't understand people, but he can make them do what he wants.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 6, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Sure, but that could just be an issue of species influencing the outcome as well as what those researchers were trying to do any given experiment. And if Desmond could brainwash people, it begs the question why he doesn't attempt this on every person he encounters. Sure, one factor could be the conditions of his power being just strict enough to forbid casual usage, or a personality quirk where he doesn't care to use this power on other people frivolously. But he seemingly hasn't used it on Damian but chose his own wife when it seems completely clear he has no regard for his own son? Since if Melinda is any example this kind of mind control might exhibit extreme conflict within the minds of the victims should the mental suggestion conflict with their base personality. But if the person wanted to do what Desmond wants them to do anyways, is that why Damian is so driven to bring honor to the family name like you would have to assume Melinda is driven to maintain the appearances of being a decent mother?

One rather grim option is that he hasn't scrambled Damian's brain like he has Melinda's because he doesn't care enough about him to bother.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Another possibility is that it's the unseen Desmond brother who is the real culprit and at this point Donovan is just his puppet.

Also plausible, and might explain why Donovan himself is so weird. Having his own brand of brain-scrambling would certainly recontextualise his meeting with Loid, and his reasons for avoiding social interaction as much as possible.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 6, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I can take or leave the idea of there being ~spooky psychic powers~ responsible for everything wrong within Donovan family, but Donovan being just a figurehead/puppet would actually be a pretty wild twist. Especially if the only one who would know would be Anya.

A wild and appropriate twist, seeing as it would yet again mean that Loid and WISE are assuming that some poor brain-broken schlub is a brilliant evil mastermind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Nightfall x Daybreak is my OTP.

They're the modern Android 18 and Krillin.

Pretty sure that's more Nightfall/Franky. Scruffy is as Krillin as they come.

I'm not really expecting a love interest for Yuri. He's that particular balance of superficially cool and competent/internally a complete mess that usually means a character exists only for the story to light-heartedly poo poo on him. On the other hand, Franky feels like he's the sort of character to get development and its attendant narrative rewards.

fizzy posted:

Scruffy x Handler

Gotta admit, this does strike a pretty good balance of 'completely insane' and 'strangely plausible'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, the simplest play here would be for Loid to show up right now at the meeting spot looking identical to Wheeler. He doesn't have to do anything refined, just spread chaos and confusion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nothing can really change with yuri right now. he can't die or be seriously hurt, because that would eventually ruin loid's marriage. likewise, he can't learn or even suspect anything because loid would immediately bail.

He can perform well enough to get (a) information on WISE, (b) lessons he can learn from to become a better operative, and (c) greater status in the SSS. All of those would help propel him on his path to becoming a serious rival to Twilight, and shonen thrives on its rivals.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

The fact that Chun Li could make contact with Yor and not have her limbs disintegrate makes this crossover completely unrealistic :colbert:

The idea that Yor and the average Street Fighter playable character exist in the same level of nonsense seems fair enough to me, TBH.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but so can Dan

Dan is generally depicted as technically inept but surprisingly strong. He'd probably split a battleship in half by accident and then assume someone else did it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mulva posted:

There's also the possibility that he simply isn't thinking anything. Which is terrifying in it's own way, but he might just not have an internal life for her to pick up on. It's not like she can't read him at all, it's just that he seems to default to emptiness when the world doesn't prod him to action.

Donovan has 100% been loving around with his eldest son's brain. The fact that he used to watch him study so intently and now ignores him now he knows his machine-child works and can operate independently seems like conclusive evidence of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flair posted:

I am not sure that is the exact inference to make. I believe Demetrius inherently has the brain that he has. I believe the focus is more that their father is now busy compared to how attentive to his family he was before. Based on what Anya mind-read from his mom, the turning point for the Desmond family seems to revolve around or happen to occur around when Damian was born. Is Donovan just too busy now with rebellious schemes that he has no time for family? Or perhaps there is more going on surrounding the birth of Damian?

Donovan had that creepy haunted-owl stare when he was watching Demetrius in Damian's flashback. He's canonically difficult to read, but that didn't seem like normal fatherly affection to me.