Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
even if you do the old trick of knocking a zero off all given troop numbers the chinese still were fielding armies some 2000 years ago that wouldn't be equaled in europe until the french revolutionary wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

I seem to remember reading that when they found his tomb, one of the first indicators that they might have the right place was that the ground was still massively contaminated with mercury. Some quick googling seems to suggest that's true, but I always figured it might just be a bad translation / good story someone made up.

as i recall there are historical records indicating that there's supposed to be this massive scale model of the entirety of china and the surrounding areas in the tomb of qin shi huangdi where the rivers and oceans are made of mercury

as i also recall most everybody thought that this was some fanciful exaggeration until they found the place and noticed that the mercury levels are through the roof

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Kinda torn, on the one hand I do agree that on a fundamental level communists and fascists are really not the same. On the other, I do get why the leadership coming out of WW2 slotted them in the same box, because depending on communist leadership, the *results* of communist takeover were often indistinguishable from fascist takeover. (It's a sliding scale with Stalin/ Mao at one end, and Castro/Tito on the other end.) What's more, coming out of World War 2 one of the lessons learned was that you can't live in peace/make a deal with fascists. I imagine both communists and the west were afraid the same was true of their new opponents.

source ure succ

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the real reason why western countries started conflating fascism and communism is that they needed a way to save the myth of white superiority after the whitest of white countries had given rise to the open barbarity of nazism

so basically they decided to lump both together under the moniker of "totalitarianism" so that they could be safely consigned to the category of barbaric oriental ideologies and nobody in the west had to ask themselves any more uncomfortable questions

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah yes, *why* people are liquidated is super important, that people are liquidated, mere detail

Thanks for providing an example of what I meant when I said "the results sometimes were not too different from fascism"

lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the finno-korean hyperwar doesn't count because the only conspiracy involving it is the one where they're suppressing the evidence of this irrefutable historical fact

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

I am very aware of the story of Atlantis and its myriad hypothesis. There is Timeus, Critias and a third text no one ever brings up because while it does mention "Atlantis" its only one word and pretty much refers to the ocean. Keep in mind those two things that is described by Plato:

West of the pillar of Hercules, and the island the size of Asian and Lybia. If you stick to the text, it cannot be anywhere east of the pillars of hercules which pretty much invalidates 90% of all proposed sites.

Now I want to make it clear, tho nobody is gonna care, that I don't actually believe in Atlantis per say, but this is my very favorite hypothesis and I do believe that civilization is a bit older than we think and we suffered a major reset in the YD.

so what you're saying is that conan is canon?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Was this a pope-adjacent thing? That's my first guess as to who would have the power to declare an emperor. So, did the "Emperor" title have a special definition with certain rights/privileges/responsibilities? Or was it just "you know the title king? This means "higher than king."

political theory at the time saw the emperorship as a continuation of the roman empire, and this in turn implied that the holder wielded universal power over all christendom because that's what the roman emperors used to have and this in turn implied that you could only have one legitimate emperor. of course the pope often had other ideas about who the real ruler of the christian world should be, which led to a series of conflicts between pope and emperor during medieval times

so everybody who claimed the title of emperor back then were essentially saying that they were the heir to the roman empire and hence got to use the fanciest title. that's why russians started calling moscow the third rome and whatnot

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as i recall there wasn't actually a position called "emperor" for a long time, augustus just installed himself into every important office of the roman republic because that was enough to wield autocratic power and everybody else followed suit. later on the title became formalized as an actual position though.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Makes sense. The cachet of claiming a connection between your politics and the Roman empire makes sense - though weirdly, just reading what you wrote, it almost seems like 'Emperor' was some sort of title you could claim like other aristocratic titles. I wonder if that was some of the appeal.

yeah, those who claimed the title did so by coming up with a plausible-sounding explanation for why they were the real heir to rome. though on the flipside since the title implied universal power and because there could logically only be one real heir to rome you couldn't just become a legitimate emperor by founding some new empire, but rather you had to take the existing title for yourself.

this happened plenty of times in both the holy roman and byzantine empires where some usurper seized the crown though a civil war or palace coup, and also later served as a justification for the russan tsars and ottoman sultans to start calling themselves legit emperors because they claimed to be the heirs to the byzantine empire by succession and conquest respectively

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think it was more curtailed by the fact that most of his wealth was in the form of landholdings

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Medieval men knew so little about the female body that a nun escaped her convent by using a dummy as a decoy. They gave the dummy a full funeral, never realizing that it wasn't a real body.

not to dispute the larger point, but wouldn't the other nuns realize that something was up at some point?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, as mentioned, the early romans were legendarily insane in their sheer refusal to lose a war

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PawParole posted:

Human sacrifice was common in the ancient world anyway,

In Ancient Greece for example, at Leucas a person was every year at the festival of Apollo thrown from a rock into the sea (Strab. X p452); and Themistocles before the battle of Salamis is said to have sacrificed three Persians to Dionysius (Plut. Them. 13, Arist. 9, Pelop. 21).

Moreover, at the Thargalia of Athens the ugliest man and women would be sacrificed:

“ On the day when the sacrifice was to be performed the victims were led out of the city to a place near the sea, with the accompaniment of a peculiar melody, called κραδίης νόμος, played on the flute (Hesych, s.v.). The neck of the one who died for the men was surrounded with a garland of black figs, and that of the other with a garland of white ones; and while they were proceeding to the place of their destiny they were beaten with rods of fig-wood, and figs and other things were thrown at them. Cheese, figs, and cake were put into their hands that they might eat them. They were at last burnt on a funeral pile made of wild fig-wood, and their ashes were thrown into the sea and scattered to the winds (Tzetzes, Chil. V.25). Some writers maintain from a passage of Ammonius (de Different. Vocab. p142, ed. Valck.) that they were thrown into the sea alive, but this passage leaves the matter uncertain.”

Imagine being chosen as the ugliest person in town lmao

talk about adding insult to injury

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

that sounds really cool, is there any (short) article about it you know of? also sounds like it could be counterfeited/debased a lot easier than a standard coin

how do you counterfeit a length of pure metal? youd think that people would notice pretty much immediately just by look and weight

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

dye it a different color or something idk

even if you figured a way to dye metal you'd think that people would start to notice when you clip a bit off and the colors of the inside and outside don't match

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
chinese history is goddamn raw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

birdstrike posted:

when dudes are rockin’

cspam addressing the mods

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

How did slavery became a major economic model in Americas? Because as I understand it, direct slavery had "fell out of fashion" in Europe in favor of serfdom and guilds and church didn't find it very christian. So how did it happen again in the new world?

north america had massive amounts of unexploited resources, but the plagues and genocides had rendered the native population too small to be a viable workforce in the long run and you couldn't exactly start shipping over your own peasants en masse because they were kinda needed at home, so the slave trade provided an elegant solution to this problem. a lot of ink was actually spilled over this very question back in the early days of colonialism but in the end the slavers won out because they brought in a fuckton of money

so basically proto-capitalism ended up reinventing the slave economy because as always the material base ultimately shapes the ideological superstructure into a form that fits its needs

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Nov 20, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grevling posted:

What was the meaning of those medieval animal cartoons? I vaguely recall hearing there's some symbolism behind them.

to hazard a guess it's something along the lines of "ive been copying text for eight loving hours straight and i'm bored as gently caress"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure that you have to go down a tree to get to ash lake, so steps wouldn't help you much there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

palindrome posted:

the british simply called it london

im p sure that london is yharnam

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/sonofaelfred/status/1532128294715498496
not sure if this is actually pre-modern history, as i'm pretty sure i've seen this guy at metal shows

lemmy kilmister origin story confirmed

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
xicotencatl's right

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i feel like if you were gonna use any modernish thing, it'd be like frag grenades. just lob a bunch of them into the opposing regiment and shatter their formation.

they literally started doing this in the back half of the 1600s. basically they took the biggest and strongest dudes and put them in the front to hurl small grenades at the enemy, its where the term grenadier comes from

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
catulllus was basically a cspam poster born some 2000 years too soon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face,
Aurelius the bottom and Furius the twink,
You who think because my poems are soft
That I have no shame.
For it's proper for a true poet to be moral,
But in no way is it necessary for his poems;
In fact, these have wit and charm,
If they are soft and shameless,
And can incite a tingle,
Not just in boys, but in those hairy old men
Who can't get it up.
You, who've read my countless kisses,
Think that I am not a man?
I will gently caress your rear end and gently caress your face.

tl;dr: im gay

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only one of them ended up having a huge meltdown in the Forum.

:vince:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

This is incredible and I'm so amazed that they could tell it was an amputation during life and not post mortem. I mean I know how they do it but its still incredible to me. Also given the extreme paucity of paleolithic remains, there's an implication here that this wasn't a one-off.

i am not a medical professional, but if the amputation was done while the person was living and they survived for years afterwards i'd expect that you could detect signs of the wound healing, which obviously wouldn't be the case if it happened post-mortem

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
socrates more like succrates amirite?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

okay so what's up with all the cannibalism in chinese classics?

to hazard a guess it's a literary device to show that some dude was so loyal to the cause that he was willing to do the otherwise unthinkable

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
clearly that dude is making poo poo up about ice ages in an attempt to cover up the historically attested finno-korean hyperwar

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
smh at the hyperwar denialism itt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't think its an exaggeration to say that the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of hyperwar coverups

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just hanging out with the bros, doing the ol' group poop

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think you have to keep in mind that kamchatka ain't exactly the crossroads of the known world, and as such smallpox and other diseases of the sort would probably not be endemic in the way they were in more densely populated and well-traveled areas

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gotta go fast

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

the gently caress is a pie person? lmao

ancestors of the cracker people

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I wash my body with water and soap :^)

ban this sick filth

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm p sure that the average peasant woman back in the day could take most goons real easy given that she'd have a lifetime of hard labor behind her as opposed to one of lumbering to the kitchen in search of more doritos and mountain dew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
you all do realize that chimpanzees with martial arts training would be literally unstoppable?