Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

PopetasticPerson posted:

Everything about the Outback scene was perfect. From BJ walking in with that earring and the short shorts, the loving blooming onion, to the g'day at the end. Seriously Emmy material, I really don't know how you could do it better.

This x100.

Then again, growing up in the deepest South, I feel like I knew the real life version of nearly everyone in this show. Swap out Outback with Lonestar Steakhouse, and I've seen awkward public encounters almost identical to that several times back home.

drat I loved this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Blue Raider posted:

As a fellow southerner, I appreciate how Walton Goggins’ accent in this is embellished but quite real. Contrasted to the multiple instances of “deddy,” which while funny, aren’t the same.

I grew up in southernmost Alabama, and if Baby Billy spoke a little slower, his accent would fit in perfectly along the Gulf Coast between roughly Biloxi and Perdido. But the refrain "go on now" punctuating his lines is a level of Southern authenticity that doesn't get enough credit.

That said, Judy is the most threatening and manic character on TV. I absolutely adore her on this show, but I can honestly say I've met lunatics like her, and they somehow always have a "BJ" tagging along putting them on a pedestal.

I actually think this is my favorite show, ever, because it's so godamn relatable, but from an embellished lens. I could easily envision the last scene in the series finale one day panning out to reveal it's been a story told by Baby Billy to one (or more) of his kids, or a new wife.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mordja posted:

I was legit shocked that BJ's sister wasn't named HJ.

If you haven't seen Vice Principals yet, she's even crazier in that! I think it's fair to say it was her breakout role.

I meant to watch that years ago and completely forgot about it, but thank you for the suggestion! I just added that to my HBO Max watch list.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Read After Burning posted:

If you love Goggins, you are in for an absolute treat. Same for McBride.

"So what?! I happen to LIKE lip syncing and eating nachos."

I watched the first two eps last night, and holy poo poo. I am probably going to tear through Vice Principals in no time.

Mandrel posted:

ok mcbride/hill/dgg smokey and the bandit dumb fan casting

mcbride as the bandit and goggins as snowman, obviously

then I'm thinking Edi Patterson as a gender flipped Junior, who's meek submissiveness takes on a whole new weird deranged bent with her playing it

then a Goodman-esque prestige actor for Buford T Justice himself.

steve little as Little Enos Burdette, not sure who would be Big Enos

Frog would probably be a new pull, but right now give me Cassidy freeman as the Frog or equivalent love interest, because she's smoking hot and her and Mcbride do have kind of cute chemistry. the love interest/romance has to have an earnest emotional core

in season 2 they do the elephant and instead of introducing the dom deluise character its little enos who gets stuck in the trailer for the trip, because Steve little getting molested and generally humiliated by an elephant is too fun of an opportunity to pass up

also the YouTube algorithm directed me to a random mcbride interview on I think Kevin hart's podcast where he mentioned in passing that he's currently working on a movie with Gareth Edwards, which is very loving exciting for me as somebody who likes everything that dude's done

I'd absolutely watch this cast recreate the entire Burt Reynolds catalog of movies in that era. White Lightning, Gator, Hooper (although Hot Rod wasn't terribly far off from Hooper)... so much to choose from. Not sure about Deliverance, but I'd probably watch that too in spite of how wildly problematic it would be.

As for Big Enos, I think you'd have to go John Goodman there. All he'd have to do is reprise one of his Cohen Brother roles (Big Dan Teague, especially) and nail it. For Buford T. Justice, I think you'd have to get someone to do a different spin on that totally because Gleason made that role so iconic.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 26, 2022

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Nothing like that gets planned in Florida without being a front or a scam, so that's my feeling, too.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
If I had to guess, I think Danny McBride and/or John Goodman must have been as intrigued by the legend of Reverend Jimmy Swaggart as I was growing up. The guy was cousins with Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis, and allegedly bragged to people, and I'm paraphrasing, "I've made 10 times more than my cousin ever made and never paid a dime of taxes on it." Every choice that's made with the Eli character is very similar to Swaggart and his TV ministries of the 70s and 80s.

It didn't really dawn on me how similar the comparison was until Eli's kids kept giving him poo poo about "chasing skirts" and referencing prostitutes, because that's ultimately what caused Swaggart's real-life downfall.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
One more show theory: I also don't believe for a second that Lyle Lisson's parents just "stepped aside." Maybe they let Lyle and his wife be the face of the church, but I'd bet near the end we find out they're just as much under their parents' thumbs as Jesse and co. (no pun intended... unless I accidentally stumbled on some convoluted metaphorical theme of this season).

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

muscles like this! posted:

They're definitely taking inspiration from the Bakkers seeing as they were the big husband and wife team and had a Christian theme park.

Oh, good call, and you're right.

As for the latest episode, drat this show is good. This was the first time I felt like the actual dramatic tension outweighed the comedy, and that's not a bad thing at all. I was honestly nervous for the characters a few times.

The whole episode, I never really knew which way Eli was going to go. Was he going to launder that money? How was he going to deal with his dad killing Glendon? So much going on with Eli. Then to end it the way they did with Junior obviously plotting his revenge, but hinting that he might somehow know Eli had something to do with Glendon disappearing. Yeah, I cannot wait for next Sunday.

The biggest part that hit home for me was Eli's dad and Alzheimer's. That's what took my grandmother from us, but the portrayal of it on this show is just so dead-on accurate. Minus the shotgun, that's almost exactly how she was before the end of the road.

Beyond all that, the kid actors playing Jesse and Judy are just stellar, and I forgot how much I loved cigarette merch.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

OldSenileGuy posted:

For as accurate as the aesthetics were, there were a couple lines that were jarring to me as being anachronistic for the early to mid 90s.

I think they were both from Jessie? I think he referred to Eli having “fat stacks” at one point. To be honest I don’t really know when this slang came around, but even if it was around then, would sheltered suburban white kid Jesse know it?

Also either he or Judy said “FYI” at one point, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t being said around that time either.

And there was a third thing but I can’t remember it right now. Thought it was interesting

"fat stacks" was a term used back then. So was "FYI," which I can remember being used quite a lot.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Great episode. That whole scene with Keef dressing Kelvin was hilarious, and I'm really cautiously optimistic that Eli is alive. That was a hell of an ending..

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This Jonas Brothers theory is my favorite fan theory I've ever encountered. I really hope it happens. Especially since they were raised in such a religious setting irl.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Per the recommendation of this thread, I started Vice Principals and I plan to finish season 2 tonight after my daughter goes to bed. It's definitely the meanest of the three shows, but season 2 definitely scales it back a bit and humanizes Lee and Neil. Although I am sad there are only two seasons, because Edi Patterson's Abbot character has really gone all-in loving crazy and it's amazing and I have so little of it left to savor.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sash! posted:

I just assume they're in Charleston. Not just because they film there, but because everything slots into Charleston anyhow.

The beach is near Beaufort and could even work as the actual location they want to use too. Those islands are awash in conservation protections.

Fun (pointless) Fact! Beaufort, SC was where all of the Bayou La Batre, Alabama scenes were filmed for Forrest Gump. Bayou La Batre is where I grew up from ages 0 - 11. Having lived in one and visited the other, they look drat near identical, except the bayou water in BLB is toxic as hell and pitch-black brackish.

That said, the site for Zion's landing, since it's set in Florida, really is a dead-ringer for some of the undeveloped beaches along the Nature Coast, which is all the counties from roughly Panama City Beach down to roughly Hernando/Pasco County (immediately north of Tampa/St. Pete). In real life, I'm shocked a Zion's Landing-type resort doesn't already exist along the Nature Coast somewhere, or in Orlando.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
What a great finale to a tremendous season. I was cracking up so much the entire time that I can't point to just one thing that really stood out.

Although I really loved the sudden John Amos cameo as the elder Lisson.

I was also happy for Keef that he got to sit at the table with Kelvin at church lunch.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I can't find the exact quote, but when Goggins is going on about "Ray being a stupid loving name" and what a dumb name it is for a "nemesis" killed me.

Also, I rewatched the first three seasons of Eastbound. I really didn't think the humor would hold up, but it absolutely does. However, I always swore I saw the entire show and now realize that I never actually saw the fourth season. So I'm going to see the series finale for the first time at some point in the next week.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Tristesse posted:

In the same clip as my favorite quote actually right above! He was on a real tear there.

haha, I should have watched the clip! drat that was a good scene.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I've got 2 episodes left of seeing season 4 of EB for the first time.

- So far it's been interesting seeing everything come full circle to season 1, except this time Kenny has been humbled, then gets rich.

- I feel like you really start to see the mean-spirited humor that would characterize Vice Principals in this season. That's not a bad thing at all, but it's the first time in watching this show where there are moments I'm squirming in my chair over how awkward the scene gets.

- I'm glad that they took such a big swing at sports shows that had started to take over around that time with "Sports Sesh." Those opinion shows are the worst.

Also, count me in for Season 2 is the best season.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
It's slow at work today so I went ahead and finished EB S4... what an ending. I was going along with it until it progressively got more insane, and then he snaps out of his fantasy. Somehow it was impactfully emotional? I didn't see that coming, but the show had a hidden talent for sneaking in really emotional beats.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ChesterJT posted:

Did you enjoy the feeeexins?

i wanted to stick my dick in those feeeeeeeeixins

veni veni veni posted:

Eastbound sold me with this entire ridiculous scene specifically "whats his name fuckin Shrek?...No huh?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BZ2zW0LIKY

Same, and it is the scene I think about randomly all the time to this day. Also the line, "Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to gently caress you up with some truth."

Doronin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 29, 2022

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Catching up on this thread and now I'm just sitting here giggling like an idiot thinking of Danny McBride as the Riddler.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Season 3 starts on June 18?! It's like HBO knew exactly what I was hoping for my birthday, holy poo poo. I mean, it's actually June 20th but this is close enough.

I can't wait to find out what the hell Baby Billy is up to.

Praise be to He.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mine's the 19th! :toot::respek::toot:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Mine's the 17th! We shall all be Blessed on this glorious day.

more like the Righteous Geminis right here. Hell yeah, bday watch party

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm almost caught up on the show (wife was hogging the TV for College World Series), but I was so excited to see they got Robert Oberst into the cast. I got to work with him a lot at the 2019 World's Strongest Man, and he's really hilarious. He definitely shares the same galaxy brain mindset of the Joe Rogans of the world (he's been on the podcast several times), but he's super respectful even if he doesn't agree with you, which I appreciated.

He never won the WSM or Arnold's titles for strongman, but he's probably achieved more success than most of those guys because of how well he promotes himself.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Caught up. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I don't know why this episode hit so hard for me, but we need more Baby Billy and the siblings bickering.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Gemstones is my favorite of this "trilogy" just because it's the most relatable to me. But Eastbound is only edged out by the thinnest of hairs in my book. I rewatched the series last year and it was great how well its held up, but a lot of things hit totally different now.

I loved Vice Principles, but of the three shows that one is the most mean spirited. I quote it constantly, but of the set it's an easy #3 for me.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Tristesse posted:

BJ's pickleball outfit is an all timer for sure.

BJ's whole style, especially this season, really stands out more than it ever has. Also love his bejeweled BJ necklace he wears with his suits.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really think this may end up being the best season yet. That last episode really hit for me because in 2000 I would have been Judy's age, and I still remember that era vividly.

I think one of my favorite things they did was after Judy's hair was cut, they make it seem like the 80s/90s movie trope of a girl breaking down in anguish was about to happen. Then only to remind us all that no, Judy is absolutely on demon time and will cut a bitch.

This may have ended up being the hardest I've laughed over this show to date.

I also adored the kids living out what would have been my own fantasy of that era - owning a monster truck and destroying a bunch of poo poo.

The *only* semi-gripe I had with the latest episode was the de-aging on Eli. Mainly because in my head, my favorite movie of all-time Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, came out in 2000. Goodman played Big Dan Teague the bible salesman in it, so I remember exactly how his voice sounded back then. He was in his late-40s back then, and would have been 70 at the time the season was shot. So hearing today's Goodman over a likeness of himself when we would have been 48-50ish was a little weird. Not a deal breaker, I just had to consciously try and ignore it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Huxley posted:

We've said, "you need to go lay down, get some night-nights" to our kids enough times now they've started saying it too, and I can't wait for them to one day figure out where it's from.

haha, same here. My daughter hasn't started saying it, but eventually she'll come around.

That said, another A+ episode. Season 2 was a little up and down for me, after an otherwise stellar and near-perfect season1, but this show is really hitting its stride in s3. It wasn't even the funniest episode to me, but it was so well written and directed that I was even more impressed by it. I'm glad they do such a good job with resolving plot elements (ie: the kidnapping) to move things along, but I really can't wait to see where this all goes.

I loved Gideon's "oooo wee sucker!' when he was barrelling at the rednecks on their ATVs. Which reminded me, I wonder if that rival church is ever going to come back in play?

Either way, I'm just glad Cousin Karl is still cool and good.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Caught up last night on the finale. Some thoughts!

- This was the best season. I am really stunned at how great it was, but they definitely wrote a "just in case" ending, because that could have easily been a satisfying series finale.

- I still don't know how this show takes these goofy rear end people and make me care so much.

- The cape twirling between Jesse and Simkins at the sword and pistols club was so silly and I laughed way harder at that than I should have, probably.

- Helicopter dick took me a second to process what was going on, but once I did, I was aghast and laughing my rear end off.

- Glad they moved Kelvin forward finally, but there's no way that won't be at least some sort of sub-plot for s4.

- Judy continues her rein as my favorite character just on account of how absolutely twisted and chaotic she is.

- Uncle Baby Billy and the partying flashback was absolute gold.

Since there is a debate about the "whitewashing of evangelicals" going on, I've always interpreted it as A) this is a comedy show, not Dateline, so being funny comes first. B) The Gemstones will do/say whatever they need to in order to keep those tithes flowing in, in spite of believing things their congregation doesn't necessarily believe in all cases. There is a lot of "do as I say, not as I do" going on from the very beginning of the show. I'd think eventually it would come back to bite them, but we've been shown that it has at least a few times (ie: Y2K flashback) and they figure out the next clever turn of phrase to get out of it... just like real churches.

In short, I never got around to a rewatch of s2 before s3, so I'll be rewatching both sooner than later. Especially since there's no telling when s4 will ever be able to begin production with the strikes.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The past page of this thread has inspired me to plan a rewatch of VP. It's so much more mean-spirited that the other two shows, but soooo drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
EB&D really should have just ended with season 3. It would have been a strong (albeit depressing) ending, but it worked. Although s4 did have some really good moments, but it all the banal southern suburbs poo poo was way too relatable, because I swear I've known at least four or five couples who were literally Dixie and Gene from that season.

Also, FEEEEEIXXXXINS