Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Knowing the civs themselves is kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cythereal posted:

What killed EL's combat for me was the design-your-own-units-from-templates thing.

I really, really hate that kind of thing, which plagues sci-fi 4Xes in particular. I don't want to design my own units or customize them to ridiculous levels. I want a premade list of units that each have a role and place in the game.

I don't really like unit construction in 4X games and I've dropped games before just because they expected me to become a starship engineer, but it's simple enough in EL that I think it works fine and I actually enjoy it for the most part.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Brian Reynolds is on record saying that in retrospect the unit designer was a mistake and he would have tried to give each faction their own somewhat asymmetrical army instead if he could redesign it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't had any issues, tbh.

At worst, this seems about as broken as the last few Civ games have been at launch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hat-lock posted:

So how's the combat in this one? I like the ideas in Endless Space/Legend, but the combat systems are awful and feel like a darling they should have killed off. Also, tool tips are okay, but they don't replace a more comprehensive 'pedia to explain game concepts and find related topics.

Combat is similar.

There is a 'pedia.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone's been asking how to destroy a city-state you've captured so that you're not over the city limit:

Ransack the Main Plaza.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And you can exploit resources in that province.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Your Computer posted:

i have a question - how exactly are you supposed to defend your outposts/territories that are attached to cities

in one game i had just two cities but a ton of outposts attached to them, and then an enemy went to war against me and just went around ransacking all of them completely removing all my territory. oops

Yeah, that's kind of how war actually worked back then. Motherfuckers ransacking the poo poo out of the countryside and smaller towns while those lucky enough to live in a big city watched in horror from behind tall walls.

If you don't like your countryside ransacked, own an army.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a bug right now where if you need to pick a Tenet for your religion and every one of them in the tiers you have available have already been picked by other Civs, you're hosed and can't end the turn.

Until they patch that, maybe don't play with 10 players, lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

What does "on Tribe: on Outpost" actually mean?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazzah posted:

"Nomadic tribe" is the name of your faction during the Neolithic. It's a backwards way of saying that this bonus is applied to you, and not some other player.

Oh right. I thought they were referring to the first unit you get.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm poisoned on the anno series after a goon years ago described them as games for Germans. As in they're games for dry, orderly people.

Extending the metaphor, Germans also like coziness and comfort. They're this German:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

victrix posted:

Does anyone know where Humankind devs are most responsive to feedback? I don't want to shout into the void, our dead forum certainly isn't the place for it :v:

There seems to be at least one or two taking notes in:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumankindTheGame/

I imagine their own forum might also be a good choice.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

So is that one "secularism or state atheism" decision you make in the late game broken or is the secularism choice meant to completely implode your religion? I went from the most dominant religion in the world (2/3 continents) to nonexistent over the course of 1 turn, with no way to undo the damage except reloading an old save

"Irreligion
What kind of irreligious society do we want?"

Well, yeah. It says so right in the description.

You don't have to enable every single civic, if it goes against your strategy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ok two things.

Osmosis is a weird way to describe the science rubberbanding mechanic. Osmosis is something moving from where it is less concentrated to more concentrated. If anything that would be a snowball mechanic!

They're referring to social/cultural osmosis.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

I accidently grabbed a wonder I have no place to build it. Can I release it or am I barred from building any more wonders forever?

Go grab some land, I suppose.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazzah posted:

Yeah they give you additive benefits. I think there's also some sort of bonus for having a monopoly, not sure.

Three games in a row now, I've gotten invaded by the Huns, who became the Aztecs midway through. The AI's culture preferences are annoying; it makes the games feels samey. They love the two horde factions, the Harappans, the Poles, and the Haudenosaunee. They seem to love agri cultures in general.

Have you tried changing the AIs you play with? I think specific personalities have favorite culture picks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eimi posted:

I'm playing on the beta and something that I've noticed is that civics scale insanely fast, as does the cost of attaching cities. I have a useless 20~ pop city that I just can't do poo poo because I want to attach it but it costs 50k!!!! influence do. :psyduck: Also just enacting some civics that before had a cost of like 2k is 20k. Weird poo poo going on.

Thought I did find out that the harbor civs are amazing if you set up to exploit them. With mostly coastal cities you can get basically 4 harbors per territory. Normal harbor, Cothon, Whatever the Norse one is called, and then another harbor. Going the food based faith stuff this basically solves food for the entire game for you. It surprised the hell out of me for how effective it is.

Just raze its Main Plaza and put an outpost there the turn after.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like most of this game's core design more than I like Civ 6 and maybe even Civ 5, but I'm not quite sold on cultures changing every era thing. It's somewhat fun, I suppose, and I'm glad they tried it but I hope they try something else in the inevitable sequel.

What I'd personally do is let players pick a culture, but make it mostly cosmetic. If you pick France, you get Napoleon as the figurehead (and his personality if the AI picks France) and the French artstyle for units and cities, but no mechanical differences.

Instead you'd pick national traits during the game. If they just wanted to copy-paste the mechanic from this game, they could just rename the traits so that, for example, the Egyptians are now the Monument Builders and the Harrapans are the Flood Farmers and the civilizations in game would progress from, say, France the Monument Builders to France the Legion Raisers to France the Horde, etc.

Or you'd just have two separate talent trees, one for civics which you can change depending on the situation and one for 'national character' where you pick permanent options based on what you've had to deal with.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I swear that War Support numbers go down if you reload the turn that the enemy offers you a Surrender. I just finished beating up Babylon and the Surrender they offered was enough to take the two regions that they had, so I took everything... but then the game froze and I had to reload the same turn and now I don't have enough to take both.

This is kinda bullshit, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

greazeball posted:

How do you "win a battle on Imperialist Empire" or "win a battle on Relations"? Does "on" mean "against" or "as"?

from https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Civic (btw is this the best resource for the game atm?)

I imagine "win a battle on" is like "win a war on", but with battle, because Amplitude are ESL.

I'm not sure what Relations are. I guess it's just the other Empires (as opposed to barb/city state units).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Anyone noticed that this game really, really likes to mine some coins on your GPU when there's absolutely nothing on the screen? This climate change sim is too real for me.

e: Has anyone ever successfully picked the Harappans (agrarian) in the ancient era? Or is this just one of those things the cheating AI will always get first, forever

I might be paranoid or it might be my lovely-rear end PC, but I swear the performance got worse for me in the last few days.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sydin posted:

Is it possible to eliminate a faction in the Neolithic era or do they always spawn new hunters?

I managed to do it once.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The game has become unplayable for me. It starts to constantly freeze roughly at the start of the classical era , mostly during diplomacy screen popups.

Come to think of it, it started when I've been trying to get a game going where everyone starts off on a small Pangea and there's a new world, so... maybe the engine can't handle everyone being cramped together on a small continent, somehow? I'll probably need to test more setups.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ascending miiiiight be worth it with Khmers if you're planning on grabbing a whole lot of land and plopping down more Barays on them.

On an unrelated note, I think I just ran into a bug where I got the Caravel tech but I still can't build them. It's... rather frustrating.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

I've played this game for 30 hours and I think it's rad as gently caress. But I mostly just want to make a cool civilization and I derive most of my joy from watching the world develop and building buildings and it's really satisfying on that front. War also not generally being a huge pain in the rear end is nice. Dunno, I am not good at these games after hundreds of hours, I just want to durdle around and build something cool and this game so far seems to let me do that the best out of the 4x games I've played.

Edit: It will not surprise you to know that the cultists in Endless Legends are my favorite civ.

There is a 'peaceful mode' toggle when you create a game. Have you tried it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eimi posted:

I did a gimmick run today of only picking industrial civs instead of branching out and it generated some interesting results. Even by trading with the entire world, stability was a massive issue the entire game. As well, I thought before influence was finnicky, but not picking any influence civs really made it's presence known when I just couldn't attach cities or pass laws. Sure my capital was amazing but really it was my only good city thanks to concentrating wonders to try and keep it's stability up. The others were...okay but they just kind of existed. I wonder if saying drat influence and just going for ics would've been a way to play. Interestingly this was also my lowest score game barely breaking 10k on my win.

Regardless the cost to merge cities is absolutely insane and needs to be heavily nerfed to be worth it compared to just tearing it down and starting it anew. Civics as well scaled to be wonky in cost, too high to be worth it.

I've only managed to merge cities if I take that civic that lets you do that with gold instead of influence, but that makes it relatively easy, even if you never took any commerce civs. And it frees up the influence for those Wonder grabs!

But yeah, you need at least one influence culture pick to keep up in this game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just discovered that in some narrative events there culture specific additional options.

I just got the event about priests of nature and in addition to the usual forbid for military production or embrace for additional food, I was playing Celts and got the option of building schools and gaining science. The text specifically mentioned this third option was because I was Celts.

Has anyone discovered any other unique options?

I've heard you get different options if you change your default religion to a different one (Islam, Hinduism, etc) when you choose a tenet.

I haven't actually tested doing that yet, so I'm not 100% this is legit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've been auto-battling all combat until fairly recently and have been very surprised to find out that Amplitude's Creative Director has finally given up on his stubborn insistence that there must be no direct control of the units in individual battles. Who knew!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Endless Legend had direct control since the start in 2014.

No, you assign targets to individual units and then the AI takes over.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Danann posted:

Pangea games are interesting ime because land wars are more likely to happen and trade is harder because resources are both more expensive to purchase due to minimal sea routes and because neighbors can easily screw you over by blocking trade routes with wars or demands.

It kinda gets silly with the sea routes. I've had contiguous land borders with other empires with obviously passable terrain and couldn't trade with them because "there are no routes available".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Carthage is a B if most of your provinces have coasts. The Cothon is like an actually balanced version of the Baray.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kinda like him. I hope they fix all the broken lines, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know what "treat quarters like districts" is supposed to mean, but:

Max out your districts as much as stability allows, build infrastructure mostly when you can't build districts without plunging into rioting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

Awesome, another game ruined.

Accidently absorbed 2 independent cities too quickly and now I'm -66 influence per turn. Can't absorb yet and the only way to increase city cap is spending...influence.

You can burn down your own city center if you *have to*, and then reconsolidate when you've solved the city cap issue.

Or try to roll back an autosave.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It seems that if your city is on a tiny island, fleets can't disembark and you can take out a 27 unit Mongol horde with three drafter gunners.

I think this might be how it worked in the last few Civs as well, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel about the main schtick of this game like I feel about Firaxis trying 1UPT in Civ 5 - I am glad they tried it, but I think it's a dead end and they should move on to something else.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hope there's a Humankind 2, but I also hope they seriously rethink the gameplay and ditch the new-culture-every-era bit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

If I genuinely enjoy the Endless games, and Civ V and Civ VI, is this game a solid pick? I've been eyeballing it for a while.

I enjoyed it more than VI tbh. You'll get at least a few fun games out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The game just wanted to arouse the inner Rumsfeld in you.