Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Look Around You posted:

I tried esper dance/manse/stax(where did this nickname come from?) in the play any deck event and it’s absolutely hilarious.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/vintage/5273_T4KS_The_Four_Thousand_Dollar_Solution_To_The_Type_One_Metagame.html

It was an acronym for the four thousand dollar solution.

$T4KS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

So how many of the lands are going to be full art.

I'll guess 2 per deck.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Looks like more secret lairs coming in just a week.

WotC never seem to get the balance right for sustainability, everything is milked into the ground as quickly as possible.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Showcase cards not having alternate art is a bit sucky.

This collector box variant stuff has got pretty silly pretty quickly.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I would be interested in hearing the reasons for banning crusade immediately followed by the reasons for banning jihad.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Some Goon posted:

Magic is a collectible. And the fact it’s a collectible is important because it finances the business model

Is this the closest they have ever got to admitting they allow prices to inflate so they can sell 5 cards and a box for £250+

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

MisterZimbu posted:

When I was your age Timmy was the guy that pinged you for 1 dagnabbit.

Wasnt that just Tim?

I thought he was named after the wizard played by John Cleese in MP and the Holy Grail.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah, the artists probably make great residual income. I dunno when Mark Tedin last made something but he likely still makes bank off his early magic stuff.

He did the current sol ring magicfest art. Which owns.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cool, always thought so but was reminded when I almost found out.

In case anyone is interested in etymology, I checked and Triome is a nonsense word/fun bit of wordplay, since part of biome comes, as you might guess, from bio rather than bi.

This is a silly bit of trivia and I love it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

To check for rebacking I loupe the edge of the card. It should be an irregular intermittent blue (very occasionally black) line. Rebacked cards tend to have a thicker continuous line.

I tried to find a picture but the internet failed me.

Printing is very variable atm in terms of colour and finish.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

So far the double masters promos are not promising.

Hopefully saving the good stuff for when NA wakes up.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

My current favourite artist is Magali Villeneuve. Older I like Chippy and very old the late Christopher Rush.

My least favourite I never notice because the worst magic art is the bland CG stuff that never grabs my attention.

Also lol at wotc loving up this box topper stuff so hard.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Chill la Chill posted:

I would be excited for old art stasis done as a masterpiece/borderless/super secret rare parallel foil card. MTG art still hasn't beaten Stasis as best card art, after all these years

They should reprint it with modern super realistic looking art but depicting the same scene of a blindfolded kangaroo with a ball, pierrot clown and artists palette on a seesaw under moonlight.

Sebs new art is beautiful though, despite the lack of kangaroos.

Also double masters starting to look not bad.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Most of the box topper art has been pretty bad imo. Although I actually like the MM bob art more than the ravnica original.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Entropic posted:

You're correct, the dragon is Unlimited.

A good way to tell is to look at the artist credit line. In Revised, the artist credit is bottom-justified against the lower edge of the card frame; in Unlimited it's centred between the textbox and the bottom of the frame.

Another interesting thing about revised cards is that the card frame is not bevelled whereas unlimited, edgar and fourth all were. Not something you can really see in your picture but it's easy to see in person. Take a look at the scryfall page https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Shivan+Dragon%22&unique=prints

Edit - just the outer border of the card frame. The art and text boxes were still bevelled.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Magic often seemed to have a cyclical nature to its power early on. I started playing summer 1995 and the sets available were fallen empires, fourth edition, ice age and chronicles. Homelands came out a few months after I started and we all knew that power level was at an all time low.

Alliances seemed super powerful when I came out. I quit after tempest and missed a huge power spike of stronghold, exodus and urzas block before returning for masques block which not surprisingly finished me off until mirrodin, which itself resulted in a power drop in kamigawa.

Very powerful sets and blocks eg unlimited/revised, urzas, mirrodin always seem to have been followed by a power drop - fourth, masques, kamigawa.

Except now when the power creep is turtles all the way up.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

How about 2/3s?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I quite like Rudy, his videos are pretty different to most content creators and although hes clearly approaching from a business perspective he has criticized Wizards recent predatory pricing of the VIP boosters.

He is very much a symptom of the mtg finance situation rather than anything to do with the cause.

Also he opens sealed product twice as fast as anyone else.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Expeditions are back. Yes that is where they have put fetches.

https://scryfall.com/card/zne/1/flooded-strand

Edit, link to all

https://scryfall.com/sets/zne

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mandatory lesbian posted:

A lot of those look super generic, i wish theyd change the art style significantly like they did with those comic book morphs

Yeah. I like the landfall showcase cards but the rest are underwhelming.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

No Wave posted:

Idk if I'm missing something but the card would be so much more fun with flash.

I read it twice before realising it didn't.

Being able to also copy your opponents spells would be rad.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Jabor posted:

If your Lotus Cobra lives then it's basically impossible to be colour screwed, especially for a card that only costs a single mana of each colour involved rather than requiring a heavy commitment.

Always shock the snake.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

https://scryfall.com/card/all/3/exile

This card tells you all you need to know about exile previously known as "remove from the game".

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It's a great reprint but the stretched art cards suck poo poo.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I'm not sure of, the 32 popular reprint legends, are they showing up as part of the set regular or only in that etched foil format?

The reprints like Prossh are only in etched foil. They are not in the main set.

Etched foils do still occur in draft boosters at a low rate.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm in the UK. All the bundles here are US printed and all the draft booster boxes are from Belgium.

The European cards are much glossier in feel and often richer in colour. Also European foils barely curl.

The Japanese cards I have have darker edges which you can see easily when the cards are stored so presumably the card stock is different again.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have been enough corporate environments think the acronym came first, and they figured out what it stood for later.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I hate the way wizards markets the secret lairs, preying on people fomo, direct selling at secondary market prices and there have been far too many of them.

I do like how they are willing to experiment with crazy poo poo though.

Basically fetch land secret lair bad, metal removal secret lair good.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

This is amazing and it's sad that it will almost certainly never see print in paper.

If I remember correctly the art on the original was by Richard Garfield's aunt who wasnt so much an artist as an 'artist'.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The Belgian printed foils dont seem to curl so it can't be that hard to sort it out. No foil I have from a recent standard draft booster curls.

It's a bit hit and miss with other products.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Faeries secret lair looks amazing and also contains good cards.

Not sure about the rest but, lol at sun titan missing out.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The American Dream posted:

I think they’re almost guaranteed to be in this. With commander being the driving force to sales the last couple years silver legion becomes the top chase card in the set. They always seem happy to print goyf, and gemstone caverns hasn’t been printed since 2006.

I’d guess if a card is in the top 25 most expensive in the block and hasn’t been printed in the last 3 years it will be in.

Damnation much also surely be in otherwise wtf Wizards.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I always refer to every effect using the Oracle text.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Thinking about it if you played mtg in highschool in the 90s youd be pushing 50 by now so apologies to 40 years olds in the chat

I started in 95 in high school and I am now 41, and I have to say the new time shifted cards look gorgeous.

Printing technology seems to have moved on enough that the thin white text on the card names is now readable. The '93 era cards as already giving us eye strain in '95.

Also I really like the new snow frame. And the enchantment frame.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Magic spoiler has a time shifted marsh flats up in the spoilers.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/time-spiral-re

Has the wrong copyright date on.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I dug out some old decks to teach my 8 year old how to play.

His second game ever and he beat me with aether snap Dark Depths combo.

I have created a monster.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The World Inferno posted:

Damnation at mythic is pretty funny

Funny in a sucky way.

Also, do the time shifted cards have rarities? I can see ones like thoughtseize being worth quite a bit if so.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I got beaten by an 8 year old playing his second ever game. It's me, I'm the worst magic player.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Howling mine still works like that for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

GoutPatrol posted:

....I can't understand why that would happen.

Something like this (I think).

You cast murder on dryad
Murder resolves as this is happening dryad dies
Murder leaves play so goes he the graveyard

You cast bolt on dryad
Bolt resolves 3 damage is marked on dryad
Bolt leave play so is exiled
State based actions are checked and dryad dies