Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lot of people want to play with stoneforge which means lot of people want to play with path which means you want protection from path. I think whether you play the white/black sword or white/red sword prob comes down to which effects you'd rather proc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Drawing a card and dealing damage are the two greatest pleasures in magic, so I'd always play with fire and ice first personally

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

If i can't eat the food tokens, magic is over

Also im liking the look of oko here

They're a shapeshifter and instead of having a cool art where they're changing forms or something cool it's just some dude lounging around

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

This Brawl thing is by a huge amount the most unfun event they've ever had on Arena.

Someone didn't play the ladfall event

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I meant landfall, I am of course all for a ladfall

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

How can the power hungry nobility be white

Nobility is inherently authoritarian, which is white

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. I didn't play that early in the game's life. There was a point when state-based effects weren't checked until the stack was empty?

someones gonna post that weird rats maze that to this day i still dont really understand anyone could remember

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A Moose posted:

I feel like not a lot of people notice that you can only use the mana from that land's ability to cast creatures.

and you seem to have failed to notice you can use the mana from the first ability to cast non-creatures

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

this is such a color pie violation man im tilted out of my noggin

wow, magic's very own mark rosewater, here with us

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187814540688/oh-i-can-already-hear-the-barrage-of-asks-about

"creative designed a white card, said it had to be green or blue, the blue slot was full, so we made it green" :thunk:

that isnt an accurate summary of what he said at all!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not like going hysterical about it or anything but that blue land seems really good, I like it a lot. I'm sure this of course means the card will do nothing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

Instant speed Voice!

ah hell yeah, Phoenix isn't dead yet! and even if it is im still gonna play it, i dont care

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Remember that the set started purely as aurthurian myth with no fairy tales. Its very likely that there were even more game of thrones influences before the fairy tales took over.

Also its called Throne of Eldraine

This really explains why one mechanic is food

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Playing in an Open tomorrow and trying to decide between UW and Bant Stoneblade in Modern. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on those decks, I know UW's got the better record overall, it seems like the more consistent option but Bant is powerful in it's own right and I really like a lot of the cards played in Bant shells.

im not saying you should play bant, i'm just saying you get to play with baleful strix with bant snowblade

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

It's like the lore team, who wasn't even working there when "I want a banana this big" went on a card, have life-breaking PTSD from it.

Like "this fanfiction about Recess where Spinelli is in high school and a goth now and TJ smokes drugs" is the most important thing they've ever created and it's SERIOUS.

spinelli wouldn't be goth, she'd have been butch, this fanfic is TRASH

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

Look, I just like it when I have a whole cycle of cards done by the same artist. It's like they match.

And if you want bad opinions, then here's one: The old frame sucks and y'all need to smash your Coke-bottle thick rose-timted glasses.

i like the old artifact frame but its a worthy death to not have the other frames around

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Honestly oko seems p good, 6 loyalty is a bunch and a lot of creatures have less then 3 power

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

I have not watched the entire series for reasons but I like how apparently, later in the show, rules of the game actually start to matter and Kaiba needs to sacrifice two monsters to summon Blue-Eyes rather than just playing it straight from his hand like characters did early on in the show

honestly the early episodes that i've pushed through give me a headache because so many rules of the game are straight up ignored and yugi only ever seems to win by some sort of cheating

Yugi has the superpower of cheating, that's what the heart of the cards nonsense was, literally willing the perfect card to the top of his deck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Not even that, but also things like the "I'LL ATTACK THE MOON TO AFFECT THE TIDE" nonsense that he just made up on the fly that also, somehow, works. Dude just plays the classic game of "I win" that little kids play where rules are changed and the only one that does not is that they will always win.

Eh I was always willing to turn a blind eye to that since both players would do it and to be perfectly honest I love cheesy poo poo like attacking the moon or turning the game field into a labyrinth or using a time wizards power to turn a dragon into a fossil or...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

And by "maxed out" you mean leveling up all the way to the top?

That does actually seem pretty good, although that level grind seems daunting

As far as f2p games go it's pretty lenient, like you can go a couple days of no play and still keep up in quests and stuff. I made it to 100 and def didn't have to grind quests or whatever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

The deck Floch won the PT with was the best standard deck ever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Standard is really sweet right now actually, haters gonna hate

Also, having logged into arena for the first time in forever, I really need to relearn keeping my loving hand off the clicker until I'm sure I want to click "resolve".....

People who think standard is bad are all weirdos, the teferi-oko deck is the funnest deck I've played since Drake's and phoenix back when those were good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Time posted:

I think there are a ton of good answers to teferi in the format now

Yeah, oko is actually way more resistant since it can get out of range of fry, questing beast and the green dino immediately, all 3 of which kill teferi dead

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

knockout posted:

Someone in the Modern Jund subreddit asked about swapping Questing Beast for Bloodbraid Elf or Huntmaster of the Fells in 4 CMC slot and I was basically like "that's bad and you're bad for thinking that" and now I'm thinking that I may owe that person an apology.

I don't play modern but offhand it doesnt seem like a terrible tool to have, the only thing I'd be leery on is that huntmaster and bloodbraid are two for ones while questing beast doesn't have that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm going to shamelessly toss out some bling because this makes me legitimately happy. I saw Amano Yoshitaka's panel at NYCC today, and not only was it loving amazing, I got Amano-sensei to sign my Lili. :dance:

wow, way to make the card worthless by letting someone scribble on it!!! thats sweet as hell and i love it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

:hmmyes:
Seriously, gently caress Field of the Dead so loving hard. I didn't think it was gonna be any good when it was spoiled but it's actually loving bullshit.

Field of the dead would be fine if they had bothered printing any land destruction or blood moon edfects

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have literally never had a partner care about playing magic, like maybe that was a thing in the 90's but no one cares anymore grandpa

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oko could be showing up in 100% of decks and they wouldnt ban it cause its currently selling packs

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

This deck seems like it'd get dominated by various Company value piles and redundant combo decks, and also Autumn's Veil.

are they going to need to ban autumn's veil lol

Isn't veil of summer just a straight upgrade to autumn?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oko really does mess pretty badly with a longstanding weakness of UG; that it sucks really badly at dealing with “answer me or die” creatures. I would almost go so far as to call it a colour pie break.

I think the pongify would have been immensely more "in color" if it was a minus. That way they couldn't just blast your creature every turn. As it stands it's basically a kill spell as a plus, which I believe they've never done before since that seems pretty obviously broken!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh and in addition to being repeatable no cost creature removal, it's repeatable no cost artifact removal too, can't forget that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Think how good the card would have still been if it was -1.

Oh It should be like, minus three. And the food thing should be a plus one. It dodging fry as it hits the board is dumb, fry was created specifically to deal with problematic planeswalkers, don't gimp it just bc you were horny for oko or whatever happened in development

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash.

Congratulations goons who somehow don’t have nieces, you now know all the main character names. You are now tainted with ponies forever.

Is it really so amazing to you that some of us might be only children

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look I'm all for banning oko but like, I think trying to ban goose is a little reactionary

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

That facebook group is horrible and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be on the subreddit or at least the main discord by now.

Reddit is one of the shittiest sites in the world, is my guess

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

E2: The weird thing about golos shops to me is I feel like once you have 5 mana how much do you really need more mana, even in Shops

lands do more then make mana

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Someone posted a modern burn decklist on Twitter with oko in the side and I'm gonna scream

I would post it but my phone and Twitter don't get along very well when it comes to links

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

i would like to bring this post back up because good loving lord was I off the mark

Gonna be fair to you and say that food doesn't seem impressive until you see how well goose/oko/wolf synergize

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Don't care about any of this.

Todd Anderson is 8-0 in the latest pioneer PTQ with mono green devotion. After 2 cards got banned from it.

Finally, someone here to proudly declare that trans rights dont matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Are we getting a Pioneer ban announcement even though it’s remembrance day?

What am I supposed to be remembering