Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

I respect Oko's bold taste in pants.
I really enjoyed facebook messenger's cropping when I shipped the article to a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

I bet White is some sort of horrible 2W, tap to gain 3 life nonsense.
I hope so, so we can see people shriek and cry as Castle of Ardenvale scoops up control players in its powerful arms and carries them out of burn range over and over

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

wow, magic's very own mark rosewater, here with us
Nah, I think Maro says "bend" or "break" since that's what all the fuckheads repeat endlessly alongside using "strictly better"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tainen posted:

Instant speed Voice!
Wow

I was just thinking the 2nd draw deck was going to suffer without voice

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I tend to raredraft over late picks on Arena because that Haphazard Bombbardment I nick might mean not having to spend a rare wildcard to do some jank.
Good luck with that since the average number of rares passed on arena as of m20 is like 0.3

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hellsau posted:

It's funny when that Brawl Signet is the most expensive card in the set.
Seems to be Alela right now, then Knight's charge, then the signets. Going by Goldfish anyway.

I am still eager to find out if these precons aren't print to demand, because shorting your brawl support would be the funniest loving ending to the saga of brawl.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Old frames best frames, especially the gold ones. Fight me
I still sometimes buy odd Legends cards just to huff the nostalgia of seeing that frame on a card I haven't seen before in person.

Lady of the Mountain is still such a gorgeous piece.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

All foils are trash.

I have multiple player collections of left over foils from pre-modern era and they're all one giant C now. And they look like poo poo, and always looked like poo poo, and hearing people pine for lovely first gen foils is loving surreal.

I should throw them away but part of me wonders if they're like those Transformers made in the 90s where they disintegrate while in a sealed container.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

for shame wizards, let me do the typing thing
The real shame is they don't take this stuff as an excuse to reprint old cards

Except that mediocre six drop, that got to be a dinosaur with a proper type line

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sickening posted:

Nah. There were two white mythics that were more of the issue but ya know, money was more important.
I wonder how ubiquitous Gideon was over his seasons in standard. I never saw numbers for that but he felt everywhere for a while.

It is kinda funny to me that MBC's numbers never even sniffed a ban discussion, but they did use it as justification for shifting the reprint policy again, which I'm sure everyone preferred.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Or just be two mana so there's more of opportunity cost to the card, which, you know, all four other cards in the cycle are.

Kinda strange how veil and ceratops are both exceptions to the rest of the cycle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

remind me, was rosewater fine with pongify? i know he opposed green getting the effect.
It's pretty consistent that maro is less freaked out about blue having things

Two decades of momentum behind bad ideas will do that.

Eej posted:

The only solution is another layer of design, we'll call it Test.
Is Test still dead?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

"[Planeswalker] Fucks" would be a good spell cycle.
I feel like it devolves into a color pie discussion over which color gets which position and spoiler season levels of theory-crafting

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Working toward pioneer by adding hypnotic specter to historic. Yes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bonus posted:

I don't understand why they don't just copy the cards they had from Duels of the Planeswalkers into arena. That way they could have Pioneer in Arena in a matter of a few weeks.
It has nothing to do with difficulty in implementing the cards, hth.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

Really trying to figure out the purpose of historic if pioneer comes to arena
Extract 4x 3400 gems per year from players until pioneer supplants historic as the chosen non-rotating format until Modern 2 Fetch 2 Furious is deployed on Arena

Assuming it lasts that long I guess

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hellsau posted:

War of the Spark, Modern Horizons and Eldraine all have hosed over the non-Standard formats, and Eldraine hosed up Standard more than any other set since....Mirrodin? Maybe not even then. Aether Revolt + Kaladesh was bad, Mirrodin needed Darksteel to get real stupid, but Eldraine is the single set that most hosed over Standard that I can recall.
Yeah, Mirrodin wasn't quite the disaster at all. It did shake up extended, and affinity didn't really hit the mainstream til DST like you said, though maybe in the Arena age it would. So really the biggest gently caress up era since Saga.

I have the feeling that this new "compress blocks into one set" idea is actually really big problem when they have a new mechanic they want to push. GRN/RNA/WAR got away from it by not pushing their mechanics as Ravnica tends to be, and Dominaria I guess wasn't so internalized. But I guess we'll see how Theros2 and Ikea turn out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

It kind of makes sense that the Magic story is so bad and stupid (I mean, more than you would expect the entirely extraneous fantasy story for a card game to be) when you consider that one of the VIPs at the company is a grown man who still buys and reads comic books. WotS, and I guess the story for everything in Magic for the past 5 years, feels very influenced by the MCU.
WOTC has been heavily influenced by comics from pretty much the start. People into collectibles in the 90s is a pretty big overlap with the comic fandom and all that edgy poo poo. When I had dinner with Maro 90% of the conversation was comics, and lots of people in the company or periphery of the company around then were either comic nerds or wrasslin' nerds. This is obviously a long rear end time ago, but the MCU is more mainstream every year following so I can't imagine the influence has died down.

I mean it's no coincidence their first big storyline and second big storyline are largely the same dumb poo poo, except the "imprison bolas" poo poo is some loving superboy prime style schlock. Or probably some other DC turd I can't remember.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Grevlek posted:

Do the cards that you can keep from NivMizzet Reborns enter the battlefield effect have to be just two different colors in the casting cost ? Or can something like absorb thats UUW still get selected. One person is stuck on the 'exactly' part of it, everyone else disagrees but he owns the store so...
You can pick one from each of the ten two-color combinations. Casting cost and symbols doesn't matter, just that status. You can't take three or four color combinations. You can't take an absorb and another azorius (U/W) card.

If it helps, the idea is he draws on the powers of the guilds and each of them gives him 1 spell. That's why it says "exactly".

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Well with all 2 cards in the set spoiled we know mono u devotion won’t be a thing so rip you
There's like 85 cards spoiled in this set.

edit: unless you mean the two blue devotion cards which I think were both bad

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone explain why they seem to actively dislike commander?
A lot of people only understand Magic through the competitive lens. And because Commander is absolute rancid vomit piles of poo poo if played with a bad group, and people who post about Commander are usually too, erm word of your choice here, to realize the idiosyncrasies of the format need to be explained up front. Or just blather about how X or Y card will be great in their hyper specific fuckwit tribal deck in spoiler threads. The banlist being the fever dream of a dumb-dumb that thinks Expropriate is a worse commander card than Sylvan Primordial doesn't help either.

Casual commander sitting around a table playing each other's decks and drinking beer in a good group is easily my favorite way to play magic but I have no illusions about what makes the format unappealing or sell itself poorly. I know lots of people who get roped into a couple stupid commander games and that's their whole exposure to the format, just a forty two minute long torture session as the durdle team scowls at each other for interacting with the board.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dang, PR codes. I usually mooch those off a friend who does two events, but somehow my local store punted attendance and was cut to 72 kits for four events and he didn't feel up to risking the third being sold out. How does a store even manage to do that? He claims they "killed it by investing in Modern which wotc then murdered".

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hellsau posted:

it's just some bullshit that has to exist due to how the rules are worded, and i would not mind if it went away because if you explain to a new player, "no i get to attach my aura to your hexproof creature because i didn't cast it, it was just put into play" it fuckin' sounds like you're cheating them, even if it's just how the rules work.
It'd be fine if it was kept around as a cool corner case (it does work as something of an release valve for hexproof) but not put in a set to interact in limited. One or the other, and then it'll only show up in Standard when hexproof is too good. Deeper formats aren't for new players til they're acclimatized to the bullshit anyway.

Current R&D is doing a lot of loose things in general though. New players are not amused watching Cat Oven operate, especially when they try to remove it and that doesn't work most of the time either. And I can't be the only person a little surprised the signposted monoblack curve just naturally has instant speed discard.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dehtraen posted:

Was Prognostic Sphinx ever really a standard staple?
I vaguely recall pros desperately trying to make Dimir a thing but the timeline is confusing.

I remember them like, working to their big deal card advantage, which was casting Dig Through Time and being like... Great?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

suicidesteve posted:

Dear god Golos needs to be removed from Brawl like a month ago. A full 3/4 of my games are against this stupid deck.
Well Wizards found more than 50% of Brawlers in the Brawlers Hall were paying gold to play awful games of magic with Golos so I'm thinking they consider that a rousing success.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Golos is the best deck it's just the most popular since it's 5 color ramp good stuff.

Or maybe the wednesday queue isn't as poo poo. I've read the paid queue is utter torturous monotony but I ain't paying two drafts a month to play a format with support so dismal it launched with Oko legal and spyglass banned.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Naturalize isn't even legal in standard.

Which is to say, Return to Nature has been around a while.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This made me think back to watching people cast Dead Ringers in flashback drafts and I let out a hearty chuckle

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PleasantDirge posted:

Unpopular opinion: I miss McMagic
But do you miss Angry Grimace

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Let's not have revisionist history.
In the thread following the game company that likes to pretend Black Summer is a year before it was?

But that was good stuff, I never realized he hit ignore numbers like that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hauki posted:

it’s nothing I’ve experienced with arena until now, and everything else is behaving perfectly fine

since the patch, sideboarding visibly stutters

arena is somehow eating up 95% of a 8600K at 4.8ghz just idling the loving main menu
If you have a matched GPU then you shouldn't be seeing any of these problems. At all. You might want to clean out the install, maybe something is corrupted?

Like it sounds like your PC is overheating and if it's literally only in arena something is messed up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

For those that weren't around at the time, MTGO used to have leagues, then when v3 came to out they stopped having leagues for SIX YEARS before they finally figured out how to make them work again.
I mean a better way of phrasing it is that MTGO was the longest running game of all time to be feature negative year after year. Like the game went through multiple revisions where it continuously lost features. Imagine a ten year beta where the end result is a product less feature complete than where it started just to keep the house of cards (that was generating millions) going. They are incredibly bad at this.

Also I'm sure it's a coincidence but leagues were considered the best means to collecting sets once you no longer had to buy the starter deck to run them. (Though I forget if the ever launched a set into that, but I remember it was something you could handily do with Coldsnap with minimal investment) And they never actually brought leagues back, not in the form they were in nor the form they use in real life.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Eldrazi were so loving oversaturated and the idea of doing them, or even just Zendikar again, when your last reference to New Phyrexia is an email from Eslpeth to Koth that just has multiple praetors dying as a footnote is astounding.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I realize this post is going to provoke accusations of “godwinning” but if there is a comparable historical episode to the holocaust anywhere, it’s the conquistador era.
I'd probably go to the Mongols first - there were stories of them condoning industrialized slaughter and they murdered millions - though we've kinda whitewashed the Mongols by now.

Which is not to say the Spanish Empire isn't mind-blowingly awful. I agree with your point anyway, Ixalan just, ehhh. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Too Disneyified.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No Wave posted:

Maybe they'll just make another dozen throwback sets stuffed full of eternal format staples. it seems easier.
That's the design file for the cool sounding $7 a pack sets, the normie sets have to debate "which boring real world influence should we muck around with next"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It makes me sad a lot of people won't get that joke, suicidesteve, given how good that one was

Owlbear Camus posted:

For Gareth Micheal Skarka's epic kickstarter vaporware failure (going on a decade of promises that the Manuscript is Almost Done And It Will Be Out Soon) Far West, he flat out shrugged and said "this setting doesn't have an American Indian analogue."
Why would people even still follow that thing? What does that guy even do?

Wasn't that whole thing kinda racist looking to begin with? I can't remember but it's been years since I remember reading people mock that one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I realize this was rhetorical but some people are mad companies like Morphideus and FFG are still giving him writing gigs, sometimes under a pseudonym or leaving him off the credits entirely to avoid the backlash, while he basically ran off with 2.5 racist hot dog men worth of kickstarter money and breadcrumbs the grift with "oh man it's all typed up and in layout, any day now" or "i gotta rework some chapters but guys I am going through some HEAVY but nonspecific personal issues" every 6-12 months.
Yeah he's like the precursor to Every Patreon Excuse ever, only through the lens of a product I just can't understand why people care about after a decade.

I remember people posting his traced art and excerpts, it wasn't very good. Like I understand people are angry he stole money from them, but it seems like you'd just ... Stop being interested.

Tulul posted:

There was a reference to them in the "story" of Theros. Ashiok learns about them while he's loving with Elspeth and planeswalks away to find them.
Yeah you're right, there's a negator on nightmare and a weird fleshy goop version of one on Triumphant Surge.

You'll forgive me for forgetting Theros' story.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

odiv posted:

They should disallow sleeves. :colbert:
Aren't there sleeves now that intentionally don't glare? I swear those came up when I was going through sleeves reviews.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Exactly, it's a questing beast, it did all the quests and it's super-leveled up from soloing that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dehtraen posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask, is Bust Rodd mcmagic with a screen name change? Or is it someone else?
He definitely isn't, Bust Rodd is a goof but not a bad goof, and also not a constant source of hot takes about how X card is unplayable before it's in a PT top eight.