Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Argas posted:

How are UP Eclipse sleeves rated these days? I got a pack of 100 but a few are already showing wear after a few games, while the Dragonshields and Katanas are more or less spotless. Did I just have bad luck with mine?
UltraPro sleeves have always been trash for me, between getting scuffed on the front really quickly and splitting down the sides after about a month or so of regular FNM runs. I stick with matte dragon shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Every time someone says Historic format in here my brain autocorrects to Histrionic format.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
my new ska band name

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

it's called heart's desire, which in this case i don't think is adam
you're right, it has to be gaston

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aren't the twin planeswalkers Hansel and Gretel (Witch Hunters)
That movie is one of my favorites to put on after having a few beers with the intention of drinking more. Hansel as a Fantasy Diabetic was :discourse:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A big flaming stink posted:

where, exactly, are you going to put your adventure exile cards so that they aren't in your graveyard or your regular exile cards? limited is one thing, but constructed is chock full of ways to exile stuff, and having to remember if this card was exiled as an adventure or due to another reason is just begging for a rules clusterfuck
adventure exile go next to graveyard, permanent exiles go sideways under graveyard or sideways half-under playmat or sideways above library (under your life total dice).

It's not that difficult, really

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tibalt posted:

Just print a "fixed" orb. Nobody is going to want to run 8 orbs... I think.
:orb:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
this was much funnier than it has any right to be.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

last theros Standard was really really bad, there were two hyper linear monocolor devotion decks and then stan cifka’s azorius control deck where the wincon was Elixir of immortality
theros/khans was legit my favorite standard ever

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

Hell yeah they do. A shame standard is garbage.
A shame Universe is trash, too. Love playing at a place that DQs little kids for offering a split "the wrong way" and bans people for being attacked. I'd rather set my collection on fire than set foot in there again.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

:ohno: :yikes:Uh, wow. I'm a semi-regular, I need some details.
These were both around when OGW was the hot new set, so hey maybe they've completely turned over their staff and gotten rid of all the people who made playing there the poster child for "you get what you pay for". #1 is basically name on the tin; last round pairings are up, two kids probably like 9ish years old got paired against each other and one says to the other "hey you wanna split packs and draw?" and the judge immediately tells the kid to get out, he's DQ'd. Kid freaks out, asks why when other people do it all the time, gets told "well you have to ask the right way, and I can't tell you how to phrase it either." So the kid leaves, his friends leave too, and a good time was had by no one. Never saw any of them again.

The other was when I was playing some guy who took forever to do anything and mumbled as if he had a phobia of his own voice. I asked him "hey could you speak up a bit so I can hear you over the games behind me?" and he loving slaps my deck across the table, then stares at me like he's about to jump the table if I say anything to him. I call the judge and tell him what happened, dude gets booted. I come back the next week and Angelo stops me at the door to say "we looked at the security cam footage and decided you must have said something to provoke him, so we're banning you from playing here for a month. You can still buy things here though! :downs:" I told him to get leprosy and left.

And now I take every opportunity I get to tell these stories because they really are indicative of my experiences with a substantial number of both the players and employees at Universe Games Steamship Coffee. If that place caught on fire, I'd bring marshmallows.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

Whoooooooooo cares
People like to have fun and sometimes giving a thing you made a fun name is fun. So the answer to you question is "people who enjoy fun names" with the addendum of "if you don't, shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lone Goat posted:

I agree with this as long as the deck name is good. It is should be funny or clever, and still explain what the deck is about.

Sample good deck names:
Ghost Dad
Stompy
The Rock and his Millions (before this was just every single BG deck)
Oops All Spells (bonus points for maintaining combo deck breakfast cereal conventions)

Sample bad deck names:
Dirty Kitty
Solidarity
Team America (the Sultai one, AND all the Jeskai ones too, because America is a trash country for idiots)
Four Horsemen (negative bonus points for being literally unplayable in tournaments)
I named my jeskai ascendancy deck The Cuban Magic Crisis and I don't care how dumb and bad it is.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheKingofSprings posted:

27 actually! :science:

I do think this is a problem for Modern, especially when the decks require such disparate hate to combat
So much death... what can men do against such reckless hate?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krasises (Krasii?)

krases if we're going latin, krasises if greek.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

Memory Leak
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.
I would probably play this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hellsau posted:

Gilded Goose is better than Birds of Paradise would be in this standard format.
I went p1p1 goose last night and did not regret it for a second.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dehtraen posted:

59 players.
I’ve played FNMs bigger than that
Where? I live in a major metro and my FNMs cap out at like 40 if there's a huge promo happening.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabor posted:

Commander is garbage for people who have not yet realised that a wide world of games exists that aren't Magic: the Gathering, and those other games are better at providing a fun multiplayer experience with friends than you can get by trying to coerce mtg to handle multiple players.
:emptyquote:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlternateNu posted:

Of everyone in this thread, I imagine Toshimo as looking the most like his avatar.
I am hurt

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

Playing with foreign cards that are complicated in a tourney is a balls to the walls scumbag move. Like angle-shooting the Llanowar elf is bullshit, everyone knows what that does, but if you sit down across from me with a Chinese Citadel of Bolas or Fires of Invention you’re a trash bag.
I just assume that if you're playing foreign language cards you're trying to bullshit me on what it actually does. I think that they should be treated kind of like the flip card checklists; you have to have (at least) one English language version on hand and visible for your opponents to read when you play it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Enchantment lands are go, now give us some dumb thing with affinity for enchantments so I can die of laughter.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

80s James Hetfield posted:

We as a world, country, community need to push forward not dig in our trenches and continue to lob grenades at each other.
Yes we should just try to get along with everyone peacefully, even though one side of this argument is in favor of literal death camps.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bitprophet posted:

Do note that Salvation Army are a bunch of anti-gay dipshits. I do not know if Goodwill also are, but I think they lack the overt religious connotation that Sal's has (& which seems to inform company policy).
Goodwill is also a poo poo company that is completely and totally a for-profit company that operates through legal loopholes to evade taxes and labor laws alike while getting all of their stock for free from well-meaning but oblivious people donating it. They also pay and treat their employees like poo poo; some of their disabled employees only make 22 cents an hour.

So sure, you might get that $90 camera bag for $10, but your $10 is going to support a "charity" that in reality is just a series of scams welded together for profit.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ItBreathes posted:

Labor laws regarding the disabled are hosed, but I think most people shopping at Goodwill are there for cheap poo poo, not to support a charity, and the alternative for most things that get donated to Goodwill is being thrown out. So they're at least reducing waste, albeit on the backs of the disadvantaged.
I don't know about other cities, but around here there's plenty of actual charities that run thrift shops you can donate to/shop from. For example, lots of churches have some kind of thrift shop (or other means of using donated whatever you have). If you have a local theater, they are generally down for accepting a donated pile of clothes because costumes are always needing to be made/repaired. And if Goodwill stops getting donations they stop existing to exploit the most easily & often exploited.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah, but then I have to play standard. Eternal is just fine right now, I recommend it to anyone starting to burn out on constructed Magic.
I too like to post "everyone should stop playing magic because I don't like it anymore" in the thread for people who still like magic

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

Top 5 rappers of all time
Top 10 anime betrayals

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

caffeine can increase blood flow to the face, it helps a lot with my sinus headaches but i have to make sure i get caffeine without dairy so typically no tea or coffee
neither of those should have dairy added to them hth

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magnetic North posted:

I swear that back in the days of Odyssey / Onslaught that there was a leak that they were looking for "magipunk" artists and people made a stink about it. In 2003-ish terms, of course. There was no twitter, so you had to work to shitpost.

Also, holy poo poo is there nothing I want less than MtG 'megacorporations'. (Even though you could uncharitably describe the Ravnica guilds as that.)
Yeah, Ravnica guilds are as close as I ever want to see any sort of cyberpunk/matrix/shadowrun type poo poo in MtG. Ignoring that it would be a massive genre shift akin to giving Gandalf an AR-15, there is no greater than 0% chance that WotC would do such a thing well. It would be Kamigawa all over again, except instead of lovely mechanics on a sort-of-interesting plane, we'd have lovely mechanics on a dumbass plane full of "I spend the afternoon reading wikipedia" tropes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Devor posted:

robotic Jace
that's just tezzeret

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rahu posted:

I have an important question, magic thread.

Why is revised third edition? Surely with alpha, beta, and unlimited it should be fourth.
Because Alpha cards aren't legal to play with unless your deck is all Alpha cards, due to the set being made with a worn-out die cutter. So the editions are:

Alpha/Beta (limited 1st edition)
Unlimited (second edition)
Revised (third edition).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went totally undefeated tonight with WB knights. :toot: Turns out a 4/2 lifelink indestructible is stupid good, especially when your opponent keeps ramming creatures into it. It's even better when backed up by 3 Bake into a Pie, a couple Reave Soul, and a Clakenbridge Troll. I had a bunch of cool knight lords too, but I either never drew them or never got a second plains to cast them (in the case of Syr Alin). Oh well! Still got a bunch of packs and a foil goose & foil knight of autumn in my promo thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went to my first pioneer tournament today, went 3-0 with Sidisi Whip/Cauldron! :woop: I played against gruul beatdown (I won the one game we had where one of us wasn't drawing only lands all game), burn (turns out whip's incidental life gain is good against burn!), and slivers (where my extra spicy 2x doomwake giant SB was insane with yarok and my other enchantment creatures). Feels good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mat Cauthon posted:

What's your list? Congrats btw, sounds like a good time with some interesting matchups.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-whip-2-cauldron-boogaloo/?cb=1575176635

It's pretty much a sultai value engine style deck, which is my favorite kind of deck honestly. Debating if I should take out the murderous cuts for a couple drown in the loch MB or something, since I think that would let me get a little more control-ish and have a little more flexibility early/mid game when I haven't had a chance to mill myself much in the way of noncreatures (i.e. stuff to reanimate rather than delve away).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

stump collector posted:

That deck is really cool
Thanks! It is extremely fun to play. You stall the board early, mill a bit, then start plowing the board with zombies/hornets/nighthowler'd stuff. And pretty much everything has some kind of synergy with everything else so you can be fairly resilient and have a bunch of combo-ish lines of play.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

little munchkin posted:

personally i don't see any joy
we can tell

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

resolute rider- great color combo, basically wins you the game on the spot if you untap with it
Can confirm, I came back to win a game from a 15 point life deficit just by paying 5 every turn and eating an attacker every turn while swinging with the 2/2 flying can't block dude.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A Moose posted:

So, Pioneer seems weird and kinda cool, but I assume its already been mtgfinanced to death. Is there any point in trying to get in on the ground floor? Seems like nobody knows what's good yet, but once they figure it out it'll instantly be just as expensive as modern. Are there any staples that would be nice to have 4 of and go into multiple decks? Right now the only thing I can think of is non-basic lands and Thoughtseize.
There's plenty of poo poo you can get for the same price as a standard deck right now. Everyone's getting weird with decklists and it's incredibly fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
loss edits are getting really weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

i think its about time someone finally said it. if you've ever had a card counterspelled you are a bad player who didn't deserve to resolve your spell
It was probably a lousy spell in the first place.