Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also Dominic Cummings is a rationalist so his plan is going to be some twelve dimensional chess thing that falls flat on its face as soon as something he didn't expect happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Election on Nov 1 so we've left the EU but the food hasn't run out yet

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think Labour will do a lot better in an election than current polls because they'll undercut the libdem surge by running on a referendum between remain and a Labour deal. FBPE brainwormers will still demand a referendum between remain and no deal but normal people will prefer the version without a horrible disaster as an option

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1168779533790715905

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've noticed the Tories are pushing the narrative that blocking no deal is a Corbyn/Labour plan. It's probably aimed at the rebels but it's Good For Jeremy Corbyn among remainers

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

can someone explain the logic of "legislating to rule out no-deal will make it harder to negotiate with the EU" or is this just some bullshit the tories are repeating over and over again so people begin to think it's true

The logic, such as it is, is that the negotiations are a game of chicken and if we show that we're willing to gently caress everything over then the EU will offer a good deal to prevent it.

It's the international negotiation equivalent of threatening suicide to manipulate people

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

"be a good boy"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Everyone booing Soubz

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Only 2 Lab Noes?

That is pretty good. I know it will be Hoey, but who do you think the other one is?

It's John Mann

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

So there's going to be a general election soon and the tories have to hurriedly recruit 21 new candidates to replace the people they forced out, and some/most/all of them will have something horrible in their past that should never have got past vetting. Also there's going to be a lot of bad blood, demoralised local tory activists and posibly vote-splitting if the now ex-tories decide to run as independents/libdems. I don't know how safe the seats are but it could be a bloodbath :unsmigghh:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

So what happens to Hammond who has already been selected by his local party? Does that not mean anything now?

If some blogpost on conservativehome is to be believed, local tory party democracy is basically a sham and the central party has absolute power if it chooses to use it

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The biggest purges since someone sent their CLP an email

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I assume Boris was hoping that the deselection threat would keep most of them in line and he'd be able to look strong by kicking out Letwin and Grieve and maybe one or two others, instead having 21 of them lining up and yelling "bring it"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The probable plan of "lose vote, call an election to crush the saboteurs" always had the problem that it relies on him keeping his authority and looking like a strong leader despite a loss but, well, lol.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm curious to see how Corbyn not going for a GE will play. I think his reasoning is sound, but it reads a bit funny if you don't know the details of what's going on.

"You're scared of an election!" cries Boris as he rolls on the ground having his head kicked in by Corbyn and everyone else

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Humiliation for loser Johnson

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

<Philip Lee> I'm going to deny the tories their majority
<Boris Johnson> Hold my beer

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Have they actually withdrawn the whip for the rebels?

Yes, Rory said it was withdrawn via a text message

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The big deal about the whip being withdrawn is you are out of the party and essentially going to lose your seat at the next election when your former party runs a new candidate against you (because people vote for parties not candidates).

To clarify, technically people vote for candidates not parties, but in almost all cases voters care more about party affiliation than anything else about the candidates.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, I know a number of CLPs are absolutely not ready for an October election, so pushing it to November is fine by me.

Conversely, I know that at least 21 consituency tory parties are absolutely not ready for an October election.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Blinks77 posted:

Very much a nuclear option and one that Johnson would have to ask her to do.
Which'd mean him asking her to pick a side as suddenly she'd have to do something.

Which way she'd jump then? Who knows.

I think if Johnson advised her to deny royal assent, she'd break two of his fingers and inform him that if he wants to keep the other eight then he's changing his advice right loving now.

She really, really doesn't want to be put in a position of having to make an active decision that half the country will hate

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Looks fine except for the unnecessary bread and butter

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rarity posted:

I did the what kind of lefty are you quiz and it turns out just like the other good posters in this thread I'm a council communist :toot:

Eco-Marxism is the only Correct choice.

The wall is reusable and the bullets will be recycled

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

"Boris dies in a ditch" bill passes lords. Just needs Brenda to sign off on it now

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NewMars posted:

The further north you go, the more scottish you get. By this logic, in orkney, their diet consists entirely of triple-fried whole lamb whose internal cavity is filled with Irn Bru.

In orkney they have deep fried mince and tatties

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

They voted in favour when it was last tabled so they are willing to follow BoJos lead on this

I was going to say that was dumb of them because they only matter if the tories are about 1-10 short of a majority, but then I remembered -43 :laffo:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It rules that it's an open secret that our Prime Minister has scores of bastards across the country but our press only mention it in passing or through codes hidden if stories about our schools falling test scores.

What are the secret code words?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Worms is the best because it's just a constant parade of getting cocky and eating poo poo as a result while that one person actually good at the game wrecks you all.

Whomst else remembers the bug on the original PC Worms where if you hit F1 (hotkey for the bazooka) exactly quickly enough after pressing fire with a minigun equipped, it would fire out like 20 rockets?

Because that was the best thing in my life before I got topped in bed.

It was the best thing in my life until I found it worked with the dynamite hotkey as well

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh my Jesus what

The graphics glitch as you fire them but it's glorious. They detonate on impact rather than with a timer.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Eh, "his suffering is limited and privileged because the hospital his 6-year-old son died in was better than average" is a pretty lovely take

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I get what you're saying but I think the point is more that we can't have expected Cameron's experiences with the NHS re: his son to have made him realize "hang on the NHS is very important and needs a lot of money" if what he saw of it was a hospital in a rich place that was getting most or all of what it needed.

On the other hand he never fuckin shut up using his dead disabled son to defend all his policies regarding the NHS so

On balance gently caress 'im it might be a tasteless line of attack but how many families have suffered becuase of things he, personally and directly, did to the NHS?

Yeah, fair enough. Cameron was a total poo poo about that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If I'm on the way back from Scotland and I have a Scottish tenner I buy a packet of crisps or something at a railway station shop.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can't believe this guy made his own kid sick in long-game gambit to sting Johnson

His replies are now full of gammons accusing him of basically that

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The media have basically made it clear that if you criticise Johnson they'll do their best to ruin your life. Next they'll be digging up some ill-advised comment he made on twitter three years ago

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It probably won't completely fix it but definitely turn off all the personalisation settings you can and in the star thingy set it to latest tweets instead of top tweets

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

cuktig is an association of people with values, not a party with ideology

and absolutely not an association of people with value

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1175179710285983745
There is no way a significant chunk of the PLP have the balls to break away from Labour right before a snap election.

How will a second referendum before the election even happen? A government of national unity conisting of Chuktigs, Libdems and the Conservative Party (Grieveist-Letwinist)? Or they legislate from the backbench to force the government to hold a referendum even though we don't even know whether the government can be forced to write a letter?

Either way, lol no

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Have any Watsonistas explained why the deputy leader of the labour party was in a restaurant in Manchester instead of, say, Brighton?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

...and then when I was nationalised, there was nobody left to speak for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't like that the NEC statement puts the referendum campaign decision "following the election of a Labour government". The only sensible times to decide are now and after a Labour government has negotiated a deal.