Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
They released a new video about the Mercury and it's development, and there is a portion about the server room that is just so loving BORING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfdU2urcUw&t=129s

Seriously, who the gently caress would find this entertaining or worthwhile at all? Who the hell is this designed for?

God drat I have no idea why but this server room is making me unreasonably angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Popete posted:

These whale regattas. Do you think they take turns crewing on each other's ships so they can pretend to be the captain and order their plebe crew around?

Of course not, can't have a ship with nine captains.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

So I installed this garbage fire with one goal in mind. Making it to the expo. Any guesses on how far I got? All done? Okay here it is:

First I walked out of the apartments or hotel or whatever and saw this:

Okay, not a good sign.

Then I got on the hyperloop (lol) to try and get to the expo. I got in, nearly experienced a seizure because some rear end in a top hat lined the hyperloop with lights and put windows in the car. Okay...

Get to the next station and......

The doors won't open! I spent another three trips on this stupid seizureloop for the doors to not open each time I arrived at the expo station.

Well, that was fun.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

The extended intro on their dumb guide series at least includes this which is....... something.

The spitting image of Clarkson cumming.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

This whole thing ending with his body in a heap on the floor in front of a "YOUR JOURNEY AWAITS..." sign really feels like a metaphor for this game.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Latest video from the SC team has this bozo talking at the start and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKITAHORdY&t=28s

The hell is that in the background, top left? Is that sex thing? A horse thing? A horse sex thing?

Chris Roberts explain.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

A bit late, but I finally realized why I like the design of this ship. Reminds me of the kind of design you'd see in Zone of the Enders (and that had some cool lookin mech dudes).

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

drat, I don't hate this. Reminds me of a mechanical mutalisk or some poo poo.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Abongination posted:

Frankenstein bong

I thought it was an artillery cannon with balls.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

haldolium posted:

not just because of the tech though. You can't put 50 players in a tiny room and have a great experience with fps mechanics which haven't changed since they were invented. It's just a clusterfuck.

I see you too have fond memories of Operation Metro.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Star Citizen: I reject the concept I'm misguided, at all

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

How in the ever living gently caress is this even possible?

What kind of monstrosity code base do you need to have where the loving city starts moving instead of the tram.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Most advanced ships developed by the best of the best ship manufacturers in the year 2948.

But the missiles keep exploding in the tubes as a 'feature'.

Alrighty then.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Wait, is this the UI element having physics applied to it and bumping their character?

Can you do this with other people's characters?

:rubby:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

nurmie posted:

why's everybody walking so weird. it's low-key some of the weirdest walking animations i've seen in a while

also, the way the lighting looks makes everything and everyone look kinda plastic-y, like an early PS4 title or something. not a good look tbh.

Oh God it's been another year already???

Seeing this fake Clarkson every November is like a constant reminder that time is beyond my control and I'm absolutely terrified that Chris Roberts can make me feel this way.

E: God drat it they even reused the part of the intro where he's high-fidelity cummin' into his ship's control panel.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2021

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

First, it doesn't look nearly good enough to justify the performance. It's objectively bad. Maybe it's a server thing, maybe a crytek thing, buts it's utter rear end. Maybe it's all rose tinted glasses but I remember Elite running and looking better than this by a country mile.

This is what happens when you delay your game for a decade.

The tech you used a decade ago is loving rear end in the present.

Why do you hurt me like this?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Know what? That would still only be the second worst choice I made today. I'll lay myself to the mercy of the thread.

Please do, this weekend can only get better.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

The gently caress is this poo poo? GTA:SA?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

lol this is the stupid penguin mascot or w/e the gently caress. they're really scraping the barrel

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=724e1wZWz1o

Was this post here at all when it was first made? It just came up as a recommended video for me on YouTube and loving LMFAO at how salty this guy is.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

I wasn't going to watch but it was only showing me 360p when I first viewed it.

Now it's letting me view 1080p, time to get the crackers & dabs out.

E: You not being able to get the toilet open at 3:00 really sets the tone for the game.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

It's that time again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOFwUsmEZ4E

E: lol chris thinks you can swim in space

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 23, 2021

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol im not reading any of that.

you should, it's fantastic

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

trucutru posted:

The purple TMNT vehicle is the Xi'an Railen. It's main selling point is that it has "Bespoke triangular cargo-pods". Seriously.

lmao

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Kavros posted:

So the Hammerhead is a giant lump that gathers dust in your ship inventory, something like 99% of the time. It will only be viable whatsoever with npc crew. Most of the level-headed or cynical game players know it, but the bulk of the fat backers just don't seem to want to acknowledge this. To the best of our understanding it seems to be because a lot of what they invest in this game for is for the 'right' to purchase their way into being the social hub that other humans will gravitate to as crew. They kind of don't want to accept that people aren't gonna line up to be an auxiliary for your corvettes and cruisers. They're gonna go out and have their own adventures.

This really feels like the real motivation behind a lot of SC nerds.

They're really just looking for a way to buy into friendship in their space game.

Kavros posted:

So their Idea Man energy gets wrapped up in all these big adventures they really think they're gonna have when this game releases a product. Here's what I'm going to be doing with my idris. Here's what we'll do in our javelin. We have a company with a 42 page mission statement that we built and a founding ethos involving protocol for addressing senior officers of the guild, and IC conflict resolution protocol for breaches of Org operating procedure in-universe. Etc.

The part of this that is the most hilarious is that... the space game with political & personal intrigue and such already exists. It's called EVE Online and it's really loving great at being able to roleplay the space role you want to be.

I guess you can't walk around in your ship tho...

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 28, 2021

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Gravity_Storm posted:

- The NPCs would all sit in the same seat

Stand in the same seat

efb

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

cmdrk posted:

did they ever fix 'uint46' on the SOCS socks?

silly fudsters, Chris invented uint46 as a line-optimal binary representation of data!!!!!!

I just looked it up on the store and lol no. That's loving hilarious.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

trucutru posted:

In a game the developer can indeed have NFTs that are actual proof of ownership for certain item but that's just because a centralized authority (the developer) is behind it.

So game NFTs do at least make some sense.

Except for the part that is most important to me that they can't answer: loving why?

Why should I or anyone else care that you can prove you once decided to place a 'stake' in some dumb bullshit mean anything? Especially if it's a video game hat or something.

I guess the answer should be: "because it's a good way to extract money from idiots".

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Oh wow, discounted starter sets! Let's see here, what kind of amazing discount am I able to get on this wonderful selection of ships?

Uhhh... ok

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

I'm late to the financials talk, but their total employee headcount is 695, while their salary expenditures are 43.950M.

That's an average of $63237.41 per employee, and this includes admin.

Their employees are being shafted so hard lmao

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

Either that or they really have less employees than reported. Maybe counting some of the contracted external ones. Also the staff figure is year end, so average during the year would be lower than the 695 reported.

I hope they're counting contractors because even if we give them the generosity of using the employee headcount from 2019 with their 2020 expenditures we're still sitting at ~$72000 which still makes me sad.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Mirificus posted:

fire spreading through the ship and you have to leave your seat mid battle to extinguish it before it reaches the power drive or you're dead.

Why is everything they want SO BORING.

Yeah, that's what I wanna do when I'm having a bad-rear end space dogfight, have to get up and grab the fire extinguisher.

Super future tech ITYOOL 2948 and yet somehow the knowledge of fire suppression has been lost...

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Fire suppression in an all metal environment.

Also where any hull breach just means no more oxygen.

Hell, assuming the ship can just lock an airlock on the cockpit and open the doors or some poo poo to gently caress the fire off.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

lol their outlaw armour skin is just boring Boba Fett

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

I know these topics are something that the executives of tech companies have to think about, but man, the entire letter is "blockchain", "nft", "cloud", etc. A combo-punch of bandwagon-jumping and buzzword usage.

Why "play to have fun" (scare quotes) when you can leverage your leisure time into a further attempt to survive the capitalist hellworld? Sounds great.

NFTs are tulips and it's going to be doubly entertaining to watch these idiots lose their money at breakneck speed.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

I pride myself on being a stubborn rear end in a top hat who doesn't give up, but holy poo poo.

Shart citizens are something else.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Torquemada posted:

The original guy who posited the ‘drop a cup in the forest and it’ll be there two months’ conveniently forgot the logical fallacy contained therein: the game would need to be able to handle thousands of assholes shipping millions of cups to every square metre of terrain in the game on an hourly basis. Entire economies would spring up to supply billions of cups to trolls dedicated to writing TRUMP 2942 MAKE THE VERSE GREAT on a moon surface or something.

Mankind celebrates their completion of the first Dyson Sphere to provide extreme amounts of energy to their one united purpose: adding more coffee cups to the solar system of Stanton in Star Citizen.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

trucutru posted:

gently caress yeah! PEE will be ready SoonTM

What happens when my Poop Meter (tm) reaches zero while I'm in the middle of a dogfight?

Do I piss and poo poo myself? What negative effects does it have on my ship if I piss and poo poo the cockpit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Erulisse posted:

Oh wait so half a thread going "NO YOU CANT" was like, an okay thing? Not a slapfight invitation?
Oh geez!

I am so sorry for the casualties.

ps
the enjoying part didn't change btw. I'm still unsure how in hell posters itt couldn't get to spaceport/spaceship/else.

Seraph? Who bought you a new account?