Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Bumble He posted:

dang i thought the amiga came later...
but i absolve myself of that

The A500 was sort off old even when released, the CPU released in 1979. The custom GFX chips did much of the work, and that was why WC ran poo poo. It was bad a PC port running in a mode the A500 didn't have natively, requiring real time translation to display.

Then Commodore happened. I think Robert Space was the CEO's nephew or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

wow it's almost like someone who is new to business in their first serious role in a company shouldn't be immediately promoted to "SEO"!

You guys are being most unfair! She was obviously absent for that one class (possibly for an audition!) where they covered SEO while completing her Masters in "International Marketing" (which she totally did not fabricate on Batgirl's show!) at an undisclosed University.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Tokamak posted:

I'm sure the guy who had a hand in coding the current mess was just a moment of clarity away from making something awesome.

Well you know, he is the guy who single handedly discovered a method to move a spaceman in zero-g and no atmosphere just by flailing his arms wildly. Even Garriot was dumbfounded.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

The latest leaks of Heart Attack gameplay for SC Enchiladas. Hop a bit and die.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

trucutru posted:

It does the move before you even think about it

Google invents the aimbot (again).

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It's bullshit at every level. It doesn't even pass the smallest effort at scrutiny. Say you're playing Pac-Man - the game will predict which way you'll go to make it faster! So let's say if there's ghosts coming from down, up, and left, it predicts you'll turn right. It's the most logical move, the other 3 will result in death.

But no matter what it predicts, here we go:

1) It takes more CPU cycles to run a prediction algorithm than it takes to just translate your input directly
2) If you go right, it still has to take your input (he went right) and compare it to what the AI chose for you (he should go right) - that's twice as much effort as just saying (he went right)
3) If you go in any other direction, it STILL takes your input (he went down), compares it to what the AI chose (he should go right), determine you did something unexpected, and take your loving input anyway.

I'm convinced it's 100% for the Star Citizen type minds out there. It's complete bullshit. If I lived in any reality except the parody one we're currently inhabiting it'd call it parody.

I have not read the article, but off the top of my head, perhaps it predictively renders results of future actions to display, and discards them if incorrect. That could help in simpler games to reduce perceived lag.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Get Smart Title Sequence.GIF

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

His transcripts were some of my favorite reads on this site. Alas; he fell, staring into the abyss for our amusement.

SomethingJones hard at work translating Citizen Speak.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hav posted:

Nah, going to call it all coming together at long last. They’ll have booths for people to try some drop-in play, and they’ll wrap up the bugs. You know how it’s darkest before the dawn? Well, this year for sure they’ll backfill all that functionality for claims, buildings, bounties, missions, ninety-nine remaining systems, sandworms and procedural birbs. No more ship promotions, just solid marketing for a release date.

Don’t let me down, Chris. You’re our only hope to save the future of PC gaming.

I think this is a big mistake, the whole ground breaking Play By Purchase Alternative Reality Game has been a fantastic success. Pivoting the entire business model the bog standard game development is a sure recipe for disaster.

I really can't believe Mr & Mrs Space would do this, the Caldersoningtons must have made a secret take over deal with Ben, who is not fat.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Cool, so it loads textures and collision models of the space bodies, only doesn't load instancing. Thanks for the video, I stand corrected in that aspect!

One of the FDDEVDEVS once said long ago the entire universe could be seamless but for network instancing. He said specifically that it "would" be possible to fly to a neighboring star system without hyperspacing, but it would take weeks in supercruise and years in normal space and no one sane would ever do it, so they never bothered to implement the triggers to generate the system as you got closer. So you get there and no system would appear.

Of course a very sane person tried it, and hey presto, no system appeared.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yup, even less actually if you find two systems very close to each other.

There are two systems in the bubble that are right on top of each other, and two in the Eagle nebula where are closer together than Alpha Centauri A is to Hutton Orbital.

I likely miss remembered the time taken. The wiki says-

Maximum Supercruise speed (when not affected by stellar bodies) is 2,001c and takes 57 min to reach.

Supercruised to another system. It would take 4h 22m 51s to travel 1 light year at maximum Supercruise speed.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Baxta posted:

I predict this year they will reveal this brand new tech surrounding jump points that will actually be instancing.

Even better, the newest rumor involves the ability to rent private servers for your org. Known as Dynamic Servers, they spin up on demand for only 30$ per week. Currently it can only support one player, and has zero persistence, but Robert Space has high hopes for this new technology built on what his developers call "localhost".

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

You can log in and create a character in the extremely rudimentary creator.

You will then be able to spawn into the one and only starting space station for the last 6 years, Port Olisar. If you own a ship, you can spawn it and fly around.

There is one solar system with 3 planets and like 7 or 8 moons. You can fly to the planets, this will take 30+ minutes, and fly down to the surface, this will take another 10-15 minutes. On the surface there is one landing area per planet with any actual art assets. Everything else is procgen trees and hills and vast empty nothingness.

There are missions that you can accept from an extremely poo poo interface. Most of the missions are broken, especially anything involving combat. The most popular missions involve flying to a procgen base on a planet, picking up a box, and flying another 30 minutes to a procgen base on another planet to drop off the box. The mission will fail due to bugs about 50% of the time. Carrying a box is not available for starter ships unless you bought the right one by accident.

There are a couple missions involving shooting enemy AI inside of bases on the planets. The AI usually fails to spawn at all- if it does spawn, it poses zero threat. The guns cost in-game currency to purchase and frequently bug out, you will drop them all if you die and have to fly around to rebuy your poo poo.

You can group with people but you cannot trade with or interact with them in any meaningful way. Recently they introduced mission sharing which splits the already pitiful mission payouts between all group members. No other group gameplay exists and no multicrew functions have ever been implemented on the ships.

You can "Earn" ships in-game by performing missions. Each mission takes roughly 30 minutes, if it doesn't bug out and fail, and pays about 5k credits. Ship cost 500k to 25million credits. Anything you buy in-game will be reset, wiped from your account, when the next patch releases. Have fun with that.

New with 3.7- the game now features caves and mining on foot. It works exactly like you would expect.

That's pretty much it

* Please note, CIwithnoG defines tilebased landscape generation as fully procgen, 1/10 scale as full sized, and stationary orbits as realistic. The terms "realism", "simulation", and "fidelity" are registered trademarks of CInotG, and are not related to the common use English words of the same spelling, and CInotG cannot be held responsible for any mistaken use of these terms.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

These guys dont play anything other than western AAA fps games based on their complaints with the modern games industry.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

TheAgent posted:

er_dova wrote content for CIG for their weekly news poo poo. That's about it.

I hope he did it for free, while a third party was paid, ala "The Three Stooges" formerly known as I forget now.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

...just in time for citcon and if you all start tithing at windmills you're gonna ruin everything.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Skyarb posted:

Are there any good youtube videos out there lampooning the awful gameplay? I just found out you can actually play this pyramid scheme and I want to see how bad it is.

Major Tom has all your schadenfreude needs...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-3D3ojGZ2EC_Bk8MRgcFQ/

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, credit where credit's due: the aerial version of the blizzard tech looks pretty good. Still some technical challenges and it's not really game mechanics, but I'd be suitably impressed if I flew into this in my spaceship. This is the kind of atmospheric effect that makes planets feel a bit more alive.

https://streamable.com/ik7e1

Do we know which Cryengine Lumberyard middle-ware particle generator the CIG intern Senior Head Lead Developer stumbled onto and clicked Load on Default_Snow_Conf?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

precision posted:

Yeah but what do whitebox and greybox even mean? Whitebox because it's drawn on a whiteboard at that stage?

The Whitebox is Robert Space's personal studio, all "creative" spaces need a cool name. Mr Space enters The Whitebox when a new Dreams.txt is required to generate revenue from his Followers. Mr Space inhales the Spice Melange which fills The Whitebox, and dictates a new Dreams.txt, which he draws forth by folding space and reading over the shoulders of popular authors of speculative fiction as they themselves type their original stories.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

That literally makes no sense whatsoever. How can you do a "whitebox narrative?" That would have nothing on the screen. I guess you're right - CIG is, yet again, full of poo poo.

Experimental Skin posted:

The Whitebox is Robert Space's personal studio, all "creative" spaces need a cool name. Mr Space enters The Whitebox when a new Dreams.txt is required to generate revenue from his Followers. Mr Space inhales the Spice Melange which fills The Whitebox, and dictates a new Dreams.txt, which he draws forth by folding space and reading over the shoulders of popular authors of speculative fiction as they themselves type their original stories.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hav posted:

I always enjoy the fact that Eve is a libertarian’s wet dream until their first scam, then they really like the idea of rules...

Kind of like watching Level1 Techs on Youtube read the tech news wherein they describe unconstrained corporate digital malfeasance destroying society, immediately followed by a rant on government business regulation and how it really isn't required. They are oddly entertaining.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

Wasteland 2 wasn’t bad!

Is free on GOG now, along with W1...

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
PC World have breaking news on SC release !?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_P7VWYWQ-g&t=2855s

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Happy Merry Festivus fellow Goons. Idri for all!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Because for as much as they like to claim "ReAlIsTiC sPaCe SiM" everything Chris Roberts has ever done has been a ripoff of some movie or another and having tons of SPACE FOG is cinematic as hell

Also draw distances. Hides alot of jank.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Dementropy posted:

Let's do one last quote before Carnival Season:

:reddit:
Lets be fair though - Bethesda/Zenimax would give Todd Howard's left and right nuts to have access to the StarEngine CIG is using to make Star Citizen for their games like Elder Scrolls - Fallout and Starfield.

EA has Frostbyte so they probably wouldn't be as interested although for their ship based games they probably could use it to bring out more Star Wars and Wing Commander games.

Amazon would merge it into Lumberyard almost immediately.

Tencent-epic would buy it just to bury it so they could continue with Unreal.

Microsoft would pick it up but probably just let it sit there till it's too outdated to be used anymore and forget about it because it'd be too hard to get people to keep developing it.

Robert Space posted:

Never underestimate the power of Citizers in large groups

~ Robert Space

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Another I found...

Robert Space posted:

Why, of course, the people don't want eternal development crunch. All you have to do is tell them it's never been done before and denounce the fudsters for lack of disposable income and exposing the "Game" to danger. It works the same way for any developer.

~ Robert "Herman" Space

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

A Fuckwit on Frontier Forums posted:

I just popped back into this thread to see the reaction based on the incredible progress in the latest patch. The opinions seem unchanged and pretty irrational. It's human nature. Once they invest so much in a position nothing is likely to change their minds.

The progress has been slow but it does seem to be picking up speed. There's plenty to criticize but it's hard to deny that it's done things on a scale we've never seen before.

I own the game but haven't installed it in years. I don't have time for non-VR games but when this gets a bit more stable I might give it a try.

The quintessential Citizer.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Kosumo posted:

I liked how one of the stretch goals was to make their own mo-cap studio but as soon as Chris got the money, he raced off to a top Hollywood level facility to do it in.

Pretty sure they brought some gear, couldn't work it, brought more, couldn't work that, then more again, which also sank into the swamp. Finally they paid others to do it, before figuring out they couldn't import anything yet anyway. Then paid some sweatshop to convert their near useless celebrity mocap data into semi functional jank.

Then they went to Imaginarium for hard core mop action.

Remember those videos of Molan (sp?) filming semi naked ladies for a female character with a RED One in their "Mocap Studio" backers paid for in 2013? Wooo, good times.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Web Madness posted:

I think you’re talking about this video(?)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOhjPtMZdE

It’s hard to believe that nearly 6 years later it’s still “early days” :aaaaa:

An earlier one, young lady topless spinning on a turntable. The backers only got to see the redacted version though, though perhaps concierge has other benefits. Could explain the funding tracker.

I can't wait to read the audit of discarded hours/days/weeks/months/years of work and wasted funds.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot being licked by a human face forever.

If you want a vision of CI¬G's future, imagine a JPEG being licked by the backers - forever

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

One in the Bum posted:

Chris thought he could contract out the development of individual modules to real developers and then just stitch them together at the end. Presto, game development understood. I want to know who convinced him that such an approach could work or if that's what Chris actually believed about software development. This whole thing boils down to Chris thought he could get someone else to do his homework for him and he could take all the credit. Which, ironically, is how most of his former career went.

Chris convinced himself. He was literally told by various advisors, no. Not maybe, no. Then he lied, and collected money for lies. Pretty standard game development really.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
SQ54 is now a fully CGI non interactive film. That's what Crytek "discovered". That's what the Calders brought, a Blockbuster release. That's why CI is no longer G, they don't know how to make games. That's why Turbulent are now insiders. It's still poo poo, Robert Space is still pretending to be a Director and dragging it all into the swamp, and unlikely it's to ever see the light of day.

This is an Official Call. I have Called this. It's probably wrong.

Experimental Skin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Tippis posted:

My immediate question is, this apparent 20% increase in client capacity…

…how large a portion of that is just down to universal increased hardware performance in the period since the 50-client cap was rolled out?

Intern: Mr Space, Mr Space! I figured out how to reduce our server costs by 20%! /types: sv_maxplayers 60

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

An Imbecile on Frontier Forums can't see why 50 player caps are an issue posted:

Well, since 1 ship will be handled as a separate virtual server and different sections of said ship can then be cut into other different virtual servers i do not see the problem...until everyone decides to crowd the bridge...

So with a battle between 5 multicrew ships with 5 people in each there would be 6 virtual servers at least.

This pretty much encapsulates why Store Citizer can continue to shamble on while being a zombified corpse.

90 days tops would be an accurate assessment if Citizers had any critical thinking at all.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

precision posted:

I bet most of them don't even know what "profit" actually means.

What do you mean? SC is the most profitable game in history! $300 million plus taken in! Take that publishers! Wooooo!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

stingtwo posted:

Someone must have images Sandi posing with the cardboard cutout.

That would be a recursive divide by zero optical illusion nightmare trying to pick the real Sandi.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

funkymonks posted:

You know what actually surprises me? Despite how idiotic the prices are for ships, you can still actually buy a jpeg without much hassle. How have they not introduced some gatcha mechanic yet? How are there not more limited time skins for each nonexistent ship? There are still a lot more levels of grift left to implement.

The game is Alpha now, so all the major gameplay features such as "Pledging" and "Click Purchase" are locked. That said, these are great ideas Mr Space will look into say "Yes" to for Store Citizer 2. Thanks for your input.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

shrach posted:

It appears that somehow Crytek never saw the Ben Parry diagram. Also Crytek never knew that Amazon granted CIG a licence for pre-Lumberyard code aka Cryengine with no trace of Lumberyard, which Amazon were apparently allowed to do and did.

All the phone analogies don't really work because CIG paid up in advance all the cash money, they can't be forced to pay more money just because they don't want to use the thing they already paid for in full.

The exclusive to cryengine for an period after release and selling two game products under a single game license are still on the dance card I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Of course lots of fun things fit that redacted template. For example, if the rumors of unusable motion capture are to be believed, it could be read like this:

Talk to Transformer posted:

Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports to be the victim of securities fraud. The problem is that CIG does not yet have any game assets that it is a party to, and so a proper motion for a sham relief order can be filed.

Their work in the past year has accomplished nothing besides leading to massive delays, as can be seen on the hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds given already.

CIG is wrong about all the claims about needing to prove legal ownership of their game assets.