Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

eXXon posted:

*checks decade+ old Crysis videos*

It's sort of amazing how bad they can make the Crysis engine look sometimes. Like that texture and model work in the non-swimming work just look straight up bad for like five years ago, and the bland lighting and skybox really isn't doing anything any favors.

Also is them working bed sheet deformation an SA in-joke or is that actually one of the "major" things there working on at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol, amazing. Just the type of feature that will tie everything together, obvious.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

[b]New Journey to 4.0 Interior Design

Hope they didn't spend more than an afternoon on this as this is like literally the most generic, what could we fill skyscrapers with ideas.
Didn't have a single afternoon to spare 10 years ago, or anytime in between. I swear high schoolers doing a group project are better at project planning.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bill Decker posted:

Double Fine has just released a 22 hour documentary about the making of Psychonauts 2.

Watched a few random bits of the doco and it actually seems pretty decent. Filmed over seven years, actually seems to go into real issues they had, lots of design process stuff. Also being split into 32 episodes mostly between 20-40 minutes makes it look like it's pretty digestible. On the surface looks like it could actually be a pretty decent resource for people getting into game design.

Not sure want to spend 22hrs hearing about psychonauts 2 though unless there is some Tiger king'esq stuff buried in there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's odd that one of the Choen brothers most slapstick comedies also seems to be one of their most realistic films.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like I know retro's a thing but 800 years(?) in the future they really can't do better than an 80's dinner? really?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just going to drop this here for a bit of actual google video game stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mvYUaZYtJk

Also Jesus google video search is bad at the moment. Typed in "hbomberguy mario 64 stream trans rights AOC". No youtube results. First result actually vaguely on topic is to an article which had the video at some point, but seems it's long since stopped working. Go to youtube, first result obviously.

The fucks going on with your search results google?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait MMO's arn't run via LAN!!!! I just assumed we had all the WoW players secured in one very, very large warehouse someone, safely kept away from society.

Dear god.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JugbandDude posted:

I don't believe anyone can read these SQ404 updates and think the game is anywhere near complete.

The funniest thing is, if it was something they had waited until they'd actually finished the base game (lol) it would be something they should of been able to make fairly quickly as they would already have a working engine and a whole bunch of relevant art assets already completed. Like it's such an obviously stupid and wasteful way to do things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rugganovich posted:

Are yes. The Japanese are famous for their oceanographic research.
I have a hunch on where those little fellas are going to end up.

On a fun day trip to Disneyland before being let back into the ocean, to live an long and happy life.

DO NOT WRITE A REPLY I WILL NOT READ IT!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Only Kindness posted:

Staggering is more-often-than-not a precursor to collapsing, so it's very apt.

Oh ye of little face, it won't collapse. I mean it may be indefinitely staggered though. Totally different things.

(the second one is much harder to be sued over)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

As long as there are Russians looking to get their money out of a sinking economy, SC funding should remain healthy.

When you're getting money out of an economy you usually want to store it in a way you can get at least some some of it back. Preferably all of it with a return, but you know sometimes people will take a hit, particularly if they need to get the money out fast and don't have contacts that can help with that kind of thing.

This is just about the same burning the cash in your back yard but far far less entertaining.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kikas posted:

Sorry to be anal about this, but is this really how it works? Isn't blacking out more of a problem with inertia rather than gravity? Inertia still exists in space once you start turning really fast, or spinning.

Occasionally in sci-fi media they'll mention ships having inertia dampeners, just because of this. Often even not including what ever handwave they use for FTL travel, sci-fi media loves to show ships accelerating at speeds that would pretty much make soup out of anyone on board.

Physics is a harsh mistress.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mendrian posted:

It is impossible to put SC into alpha because they don't even know what their core features are, let alone completing them.

It's also really funny how open they are about this as well. Like recently they were talking about, "oh we just started thinking what was going to be in the sky scrapers in our cities, and we just did a big brain storm of all the exciting things we could include!"

Like what is likely to be a major play space for your players and you haven't even thought about it yet? I swear at this point they must of already written all that up like 5-6 years ago or some such and just forgot they did, or forgot where they saved there notes. Like it's been 10 years, how could they not of talked all that stuff to death already.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

So what kind of a scam does Star Citizen fall into anyways? The closest things I can think of are either MLM or Ponzi schemes, but MLMs actually give you a product and an incentive for you to get others to buy into it and ponzi schemes have the promise of giving you money.

Honestly closest to a lovely explorative pay to play mobile game. MLM and Ponzi's both rely on the greed of the participants, particularly they're going to get more money in the end. Close might be a contractor con scam. Contractor comes in does a bit of works, than leaves before finishing, than when ever the contractor is contacted they convince the person to give them more money, to not only finish the original contract, but to do it even better, and even more things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Related question, has there ever been a successful lawsuit against a kickstarter that just took the money and ran? I'm assuming SC monies just come from kickstarter and selling whatever crap through their game.

I haven't looked at kickstarter too much but it seems like there is just a whole bunch of project that fail even if it is legitimate, and it doesn't seem like there is any real protection for people donating through it. So like what would the basis of the lawsuit be? Seems sort of like a "you knew the risks" thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Do they publish detailed finances (I'm guessing hell no)? If not I'm guessing he also has a hell of an expense account. If food, travel, health insurance, car, clothes are all taken care of, that can add up to not an insignificant amount of money.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

There are actually several sued kickstarters that I'm aware of but I can't remember all the names.

Hmm, yeah there actually seems to be a bit of variety in there, but seems the big similarity is that a lot or all of the people got nothing, and at least one of them seem to have proof the guy just spent all the kickstarter money on themselves and bitcoin.

Think unless conversations leak where they are literally saying "hey what a cool, cool scam we're pulling with this whole Star Citzen thing on all those people who gave us money" a lawsuit probably wouldn't go very far.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah but obviously Star Citizen will be much more important to humanity than the Apollo program in the long run, so of course it's going to take a decade or two longer to complete.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think part of the trouble of figuring out if it started as a deliberate scam or not is, is that as a scam it seems to be pretty obvious, haphazard, and shittily done, but; 1) lots of people who start scams are a bit poo poo at them or don't put much effort into them. 2) it's apparently made a poo poo load of money, so it can't be that bad a scam if it's apparently work so well. :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also as many people have pointed out a lot of the intended features for the game are pretty vague. Which is sort of what you expect from a game with no real direction. This lets people fill in a lot of blanks for what they ideally would want the game to be, but from here, if it was going to ever be a game, it could go in so many different ways.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lobsterminator posted:

If Quantum was actually implemented in the future it would probably be equally impressive as Skyrim V NPCs who close their shop in the evening and walk to the tavern.

I mean Bethesda were doing this back in Oblivion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lobsterminator posted:

I'm pretty sure SC players would hate that. They want to see actual humans cleaning up so that they can feel wealthy and powerful.

Just make it "lore" that the cleaning robots actually have human brains and are slave who are in robot bodies so they can work forever and don't need sleep.

The fact that this is incredibly stupid will be overlooked due to it being appropriately grimdark.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Dunno if you've heard about them, but 40K servitors have been a thing for a while. Have some original ideas, man! What could be more original than having a flesh and blood human being do the drudgework for you?

Yeah but humans take more polygons and need more animation and what not, where as a big square cube can be made in like three seconds. Cube roombas are so easy!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So the point of the feature as it seems to at it's heart being allowing the player to make some sort of mark on the world. Like I get that. Often games can feel like the world barely notices the player going through it. But yeah I feel like this is just a terrible way go about it even ignoring the massive technical problem.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Having the world react to the player is something that open world single player games TESVI: Skryrim II desperately need. But CIG’s PES and Quanta dreams.txt is incredibly stupid in an MMO.

Yep, it's like a lot of features that SC talks up. They sounds okay if you don't think about it, but it's just such a poor use of resources, and don't really work in MMO's.
It goes back to SC having no direction as a game. I think the point is what they were talking about with Fallout 76 before release, having the people playing make the content, but you need to actually have mechanics in there to make that work. Neither 76 or SC seem to of thought of that.

I mean eve isn't the greatest game ever, but it seems to at least have it's mechanics set up right to let players do all the crazy stuff goon swam and other groups get up to.

SC has garbage collection and mall food stalls for some reason.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Things that should be persistent in a game: literal trash
Things that shouldn't be: expensive ships people paid actual money for

lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Legitimately impressive video. Now that's how you proc gen a river!

I'm actually so glad they started talking about proc gen stuff. At the start of the video I was thinking "oh god, how long are artists going to have to be working to get that level of detail???".

But yeah, Unreal engines seems pretty amazing. Just wish they'd put out another single player game! Unreal was one of my favorite fps. Such a great game. ....er let's not mention unreal 2. Think that ship has well past though alas.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bushboy2000 posted:

2. Ingame Global Chat, "Need a crew for me Reclaimer, about 4 or 5 ppl"
"How much you paying ?"
"70% me 30% crew"
"wtf, bs, fook off, even split"
"Nah, I Own the Ship, its BIG, im the Captain, i do 50/50 if org members, cargo stackers are just bone heads"
"Well get them org numpties, dont ask us"

Can the crew not just take the job, Kill the captain, steal the ship, take 0/100 cut? Seems the only logical thing to do.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bushboy2000 posted:

Is this how great feuds may start between Orgs ?

It's how a good workers union starts.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

Isn't that also how a lot of real-world pirate crews started back in the day?

Yeah, basically. Quite a few were originally in the navy and mutinied and took the ship. Think sometimes commercial shipping as well. But yeah, mutinies usually happened when the captain was treating crew particularly poo poo, and after mutinies turning pirate if suddenly you're in charge a ship with a bunch of cannons and a crew that knew how to use them, makes a lot of sense. Not many other choices at that point really.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sandweed posted:

IIRC if the owner logs out the ship disappears.

lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

trucutru posted:

The only one that gets credits is the captain. Sure, you can kill him, steal the ship, etc but that doesn't pay a dime.

Pretty sure a ship is going to be worth more than one delivery job -right? I have no idea how messed up SC economy is but, you gotta to assume- so I mean still a win. :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Boy this dude is going to have egg on his face when next year rolls around and the end of the world a functioning version of Star Citizen has not come, despite the clear prophecy that it would.

Another year gone by without humanity achieving a wyld stallyns'esq world wide utopian peace and happiness for itself.

*sigh*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm gonna guess no, since that would require a functional game.

Next you'll say I can't even take a job as a space janitor, and instead of cleaning stuff, pour cleaning liquid all over stairs and just spend all day laughing at everyone slipping down them!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Azubah posted:

Also if they change how computing would work the drat game wouldn't work on everyone's current computer.

No but you see you just need to make a new featyre of the software that makes it change the hardware so it can run the software. That should be a simple thing to program.

The software may also need to break causality, but that should be a simple thing to program.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I guess I'm an otter :confused:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The thing is you can make that sort of game interesting, but you have to you know have more features other than just big + generically realistic.

Look at Dwarf fortress! Absolutely crazy list of features and doable things, but you know there is actual thought put into those features and how they interact with each other and the player, so it actually has heaps of personality because of it.

For me honestly the brokenness isn't the worst part of Star Citizen, it's the total lack of personality to it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mirificus posted:

" but the Star Citizen star systems will be so packed with stuff to do and see you'll spend months or even years in one place, even if there are only 20 star systems that's more content than any player could get around to in a lifetime."

lol. One day Star Citizen was walking in the forest and it found the magical content fairy. Star citizen said hello to the magic content and the magical content fairy said hello back and told Star citizen that it could grant it one wish! Star Citizen used it one wish to wish for infinite content! The content fairy said done! It than gave them a magical seed which they planted in the middle of the office, and from that seed a large content tree grew, laden with magical content fruit, and they found no matter how much content fruit they took from the content tree there was always more. And they lived happily ever after. The end!

In short I wish I had a magical infinite content tree like star citizen. Would make life so much easier. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AndrewP posted:

how many of those things will actually be fun though

Fun isn't the point!!!