Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

All the feature creep and bloat and unnecessary crap that they not only promised, but started selling. Not like I feel bad for them, they dug themselves this hole. But it's basically fraud if they sell a ship that makes planet bound outposts, and then later they say "well, we can't do outposts.."

TL:DR: they're screwed...

Ah, but they absolved themselves by adding a sneaky little line to all of their "pledges" saying that the buyer mark backer agrees that literally everything about the promised product is subject to change substantially, even to the point of never actually existing, presumably. Check and mate, goonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

Actually, it only delays the deadlines for 3 months one time so they'll have to admit that they hosed up thrice this year. But there will be a new $750+ ship so everybody will be happy.

Ah, but going forward, every key feature that gets punted from this patch to the next one means they'll get six months to lay the groundwork for why it's necessary to punt it again, instead of struggling to justify it every three months.

Plus, staggered development means that one team can say they made no progress on a feature because it requires something that the other team is working on to be completed first, which greatly expands their options for avoiding or ditching unpleasant and/or impossible tasks.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

mp5 posted:

Joke's on them, the spaceland I spacebought already has caves

Have the real super-weirdos started asking when tunneling/digging vehicles will be sold so that they can pay money to imagine making/modifying their own caves? I bet the only thing better than imagining how awesome your planetary base will look is also imagining how safe you'll be deep down in its basement where no one can find you.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

"even if the game becomes awesome", huh?

This is why it's so important to stick to the script. Nobody's actually going to read your furious regurgitation of "It's alpha, you don't understand game development, doing things never done before, all you need is a starter package, pipelines, fidelity, blah blah blah", but it'll keep you from accidental admissions like this. "Even (an unlikely possibility) if (so very unlikely) the game becomes awesome (which it definitely is not right now)."

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's a shame that Star Citizen is such a niche product, easily ignorable by the vast majority of internet denizens, because I think "Blobering" would be a good word to describe following topics around to every single comment thread just to post the same drooling, obsessive, relentless idiocy you posted in all of the other ones.

Poor ol' Blobby, forever denied his chance at true Internet Fame.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Ambaire posted:

When a human child is born, they have had no first hand experience with the world. Should we, therefore, decree that as they have no life experience, they should be denied life experience?

When a human child is born, they have had no first hand experience with the world. Should we, therefore, decree that as they have no life experience, they should be denied life experience? Be sure and tell those human children to visit https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs TODAY!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

echothreealpha posted:

From having an 890 article out on Newsweek, of all places,
This part will make a lot more sense to you if you look at the articles from the past few years that have been written about Newsweek, IBT Media, and Olivet University. (If you just want the juicy parts, you can throw "money laundering" and "fraud" into your search and it should get you to the 2018 convictions.)

The executive summary is that Newsweek got sold, eviscerated, and turned into a internet click-mill by a weird-rear end cult. Fun times.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mr.PayDay posted:

Did they just exclude SQ42 as a topic in their convention because why not ?!

They can't say anything at all about SQ42 even though it's due to enter beta next year, because it would be a spoiler.

Specifically, this spoiler: SQ42 will not enter beta next year.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

It's the slow build up of condensation on the inside. Bagman is the hero of the entire event.

Poor bugger was slowly suffocating during the whole thing.

Hypoxia often causes giddiness (and mild hallucinations!), so he was probably having the most fun of anybody at CitCon.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Again it was all just window dressing for another boring scripted fetch quest with broken stealth and FPS mechanics, and over an hour of interminable flying, driving and walking with no real gameplay.

Hey now, that's totally unfair, you can't say that the stealth mechanic is broken.

For something to be broken it has to actually exist. Which it does not. You can't break what never got made!

You're right about the rest, of course. I suppose their FPS AI barely exists, but it's apparently broken so badly that they couldn't even risk it in their live demo's walled garden, and good lord, that whole thing was super-boring, from concept through execution. You gotta wonder what the two other people on that team were supposedly doing while Glen was being yelled at by Chris to "pretend that you're using the multitool" and "pretend that you're blending in." The only time Chris seemed genuinely interested by anything happening, it was because he was getting to live out his movie director fantasies by trying to demand particularly cinematic angles.

This is what the actual release of Star Citizen will consist of, I guess: a janky Arena Commander module, a jankier Star Marine module, and the jankiest 20v20 whatever they're calling it module, plus a lot of empty space in the PTU where you can pretend you're doing things.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Nothing is mandatory on the roadmap, and nothing is exactly what they're out to deliver!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

monkeytek posted:

"I am here today to show the first ever Billion Polygon character! It takes five render farms to make it move! We are working closely with leading computer scientists in architecting the hardware necessary to run this amazing first ever AAAAAA game:

Game Requirements:

Power: 22 Gigawatts
Processing Power: 20 QuintaFLOPS
Video: We will require reaching out to Render Farms as no single GPU solution will manage at this time. We estimate monthly costs to hover around $50,000 for two hours of gameplay.
Network Bandwidth: min. 3 banded 100Gbps ISP grade fiber. Estimated build out to house $10M monthly cost $300k
Storage: SSD! Standard HD will cause less than optimal performance.

I hope you are as excited as I am and remember we'll be at E3 this year. Just find us on the floor, say the passcode: "I believe" and get a code for an amazing ingame digital item!

Yours truly Crobo!"

Entirely unbelievable nonsense. No one would ever believe something like that would be possible, even in the realm of utter hyperbole.

Give you a code for an item? Ha! They'd give you a code for a 10% discount* on an amazing "in-game"** digital item.

* New money only. Obviously.
** item may not exist in-game. If at some future date the item does exist in-game, the purchaser agrees that the item may be significantly different from its original description. No refunds. All pledges are spent immediately upon receipt.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

They better fix this bug pronto. If the whales find out they can get valuable NPC floor-moppers for free, they're never going to hire poor Citizens to crew their ships, and the whole Quantum Economy Model will collapse.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Inacio posted:

(quoted some citizen repeatedly insisting that "If something is well-animated, it will be fun. If a feature is animated right, it will be fun on its own. I think CIG is going to animate food animations to a very high standard so it will be fun to interact with food/drink.")

I like that you just positively identified Chris Roberts' sockpuppet account and didn't even make a big deal about it.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

precision posted:

Squadron 42 Episode 1 will be an hour long and will consist of your character standing in a crowd while Gary Oldman gives the speech. You'll be able to fidget and blink which will have a dynamic effect on the attitude your squadmates have towards you. Fidelity.

I look forward to reading the walkthrough for Squadron 42. Fifty lines of text consisting of "Walk forward while the character talks at you until the next cutscene triggers. Don't move too far from the cutscene or it will glitch out and you will not be able to continue! When prompted to do something, choose "Stay Frosty" and wait until the next cutscene finishes. Walk to the quest marker to trigger the next cutscene" repeated over and over.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i cant believe the star citizen project ultimately failed because of the coronavirus global crisis

And just when the pace of development was about to really pick up, too. They were almost done deciding what tools they would like to have eventually built, and the pipelines were really going to start opening up after that!

It's simply tragic how vulnerable projects are when they're in their early days, like Star Citizen was.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Quavers posted:

:trustme: [i]May 6th, 2020

Attention Recruits,

What you are about to read is the latest information on the continuing development of Squadron 42 (SCI des: SQ42).

Our top agents went into deep cover and managed to extract information on work on the Javelin's weapons and engineering sections, as well as key info on the next step of cinematics.
The information contained in this communication is extremely sensitive and it is of paramount importance that it does not fall into the wrong hands. Purge all records after reading.

Huh, I thought purging all records of what CIG planned to do and claimed they had done was the job of their community managers, with help from the hardcore cultists. I guess they need more help doing that, people still seem to remember some of the dumbass things they promised.

Also, good lord, the amount of "began work on" and "will include" and "investigating ways to" and "looking into how to approach" and other coded phrases for "we haven't done this yet and have nothing to show for it" in that. Eight years in, and they're still flailing this badly?

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2020

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

He is the unseen grabby hand which moves all things.

He's the CFO (Chief Fidelity Officer) and according to him, everything is perfectly normal and going exactly as it should.

(Except for all the green things that need to be made blue, or vice versa. But that's normal, too! One look at this game and you know it's designed by a perfectionist!)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

The ground is a finished and released game.

Nah, I'm pretty sure a bear can hit the ground if it falls out of a tree accidentally; there's no way that a treeful of crobears could make a finished and released game on purpose, let alone by accident.

The ground's just accountability, their natural enemy.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn't one of the rumors that they had to scrap the nearly completed SQ42 because the scale was completely off.

Like right now everything is tiny as gently caress but they company that put SQ42 together just used normal size poo poo so nothing was compatible.

That was the rumor for Space Marine, or whatever that arena fps shooter Illfonic did for them was called.

The Squadron 42 rumor was that they had their level designers putting together on-foot locations and then suddenly realized, whoops, their cleverly-named aliens with the swords were too big to fit in any of their own hallways.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

I will bravely say that I highly enjoyed both DA2 and Inquisition. They were both played quite a while ago and the fact that I can't remember any of these downsides but I certainly do remember playing them for long sessions and having a good time seems to speak well of them.

Looking forward to the next one for sure.

I spent under five bucks on DA2, and maybe $7.50 on Inquisition, and at those prices, they were both fun. Big flaws in both (DA2's copy-paste locations, Inquisition's avalanche of bad and incredibly tedious quests), but also some big successes (DA2 characters were probably the best Bioware ever did, Inquisition had a few 'Oh, that's cool' moments).

My conclusion is that the secret to really enjoying a Dragon Age game is to wait until it costs less than a bad lunch.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Body dragging and improved throw down 2%?! nooooooooooooooooooo

"Body Dragging" is just the internal term for the overall state of Star Citizen development. 2% down means they've made enough money that they think they can keep up their Weekend-At-Bernie's routine for even longer before they have to dump the project into a shallow grave and walk away casually.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

If I still interacted with the Citizenry at all, I'd really be curious what they think is the thing that makes SC so supremely ambitious anymore. It's not the mechanics of gameplay- those have all turned out to be pretty much the same bar-and-meter implementations as every other game. It's not the first person perspective in a world of vehicles- that's been done so many times now that it isn't actually that interesting anymore. Fully realized planets? Been done. Big simulated economy? Old news. Combine all of those aspects? Well, Elite exists, and X4, and No Man's Sky, and you can point to a dozen indie projects that have had more actual success in the same space. So what is it that Star Citizen aims to accomplish that justifies how bad it is at every step? What's the big un-done thing?

I think it's the toilets. They dream of walking around their space chariot and seeing it as a real place rather than some dumb game map, and the emphasis on bathrooms and bunks and galleys convince them that it will be a real place for them. It's a detail that would either be left out of any other game or go completely unnoticed due to having actually fun things to do, but to these guys, it's an emblem of realism and complexity. A functioning flight system or a useful HUD or even a legible navigation system are things a game would do, but making sure the ship has been designed to have a place for spacemen to poop makes it a true simulation.

The rest of Star Citizen's design principles are wholly incoherent, obscure, and often contradictory, but the toilets are consistent. No other space game has promised toilets and reasons to sit on them. And no other space game ever will, for obvious reasons.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Inacio posted:

you know what's even more absurd? the gameplay systems for this one are largely in place. but they won't be integrated, obviously.

- the hunter gets a mission for a player with crime level (in)
- hunter pew pew shoots the criminal (in)
- hunter DISABLED criminal ship, captures the live criminal (not in)
- hunter drags criminal into a pod (not in)
- criminal instantly spawns in the prison (in? -ish? minor change anyway)
- hunter has to deliver the now-fake-npc-criminal in order to get a bounty (not in)

so what does cig need to do to make this complete?

- let people disable ships instead of just destroying them like an 80s game
- let people capture criminals from their disabled ships
- make criminals in pods just get TPed to prison
- add a new "land at place, remove npc criminal" mission

that's literally it.
probably two loving weeks of work.
won't be out til 2053.
buy a cutlass blue.

Even easier: just turn all the criminals into boxes.

Of course, then they'll have to fix their tier-zero box-carrying and vending machine systems. Hm. Y'know, I'm starting to suspect that maybe they just can't make this game.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

By releasing posting comments on toothless, impotent Youtube and Twitch videos.

fixed for accuracy

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Holy poo poo, Wagner James Au. I haven't read one of his blitheringly idiotic articles in years, I didn't know he was still in the bad writing business.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

The non existent flight model is really a sight to behold.

Imagine making a game about flying space ships, and after nearly a decade and $300M you don't have one, but you can really walk around good on the ground in FPS.

....wait, did they finally get walking around to work? I would've guessed that stairs were still lethal.

It's definitely an AAAA game now, time to buy that Idris, I guess.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Popete posted:

Just imagine someone is paying you exorbitant amounts of money to spin your wheels and they will only ever stop giving you this money if you ever finish what youre doing.

I wonder what would happen.

To be fair, as far as the rank-and-file is concerned at CIG, it's not like they can finish what they're doing; they either keep duct-taping more crap to the rickety mound of garbage they've been building and hope that some night their hearts' wishes will be granted and mysterious unseen faeries will magically transform it into something that isn't a total embarrassment, or the company goes broke and they have to scramble to find a new job. They know there is no work they can do to get from what they have to what they're supposed to create, but there's work that they've been assigned to do that they can get paid to do, and if that's the only job you can get in this bitch of a world, you hold your nose and do it.

Chris and his c-suite pals, on the other hand, are absolutely just spinning their wheels at this point. They know that there's no way to deliver what they promised, or even deliver something that would be remotely worth the amount of money that they've been given, and they've decided they're okay with continuing to collect fat paychecks to pretend otherwise. Underpay some desperate kids to keep duct-taping crap onto the garbage pile, look for newer and better tax rebates, look for richer and dumber loan officers, get a good accountant to set up private trusts to keep your earnings safe, and don't turn out the lights until you're sure you've gotten everything you can out of it.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

That's kind of always been my question too.

I figured people would be coming out of the woodworks to talk about their new purchases and such, but it seems like nobody ever does. :shrug:

It is a true mystery of a sexy bear. :iiam::iiasb:

Yeah, that always seems weird to me, too. Sure, a lot of those ships are being bought by the obsessive collectors (and, I suppose, by some deranged grey-market RMT enthusiasts who are still waiting patiently for the big payoff they're sure must be coming someday) and neither of those two camps are actually trying to play this disasterpiece of a 'game,' but still, it's hard to imagine that much money all comes from there. You'd think there'd be more of those people who loudly proclaim how great the game is and how they've had hundreds of hours' worth of fun who would spare a sentence or two about how sweet their latest space chariot is to fly than you actually see out in the wild.

The money laundering angle is vaguely possible, I guess. After all, you can buy a ship jpg with your filthy rubles or whatever and as long as you get paid back something in some manner, it doesn't matter what happens with the actual 'sale.' Grey-market it for whatever you can get, give it to your least favorite nephew, delete the confirmation e-mail and forget about it forever, it's all the same; meanwhile, one of the 20+ shell companies that seem to exist for no other reason than to obfuscate where CIG's money gets spent could cut a check for services rendered made out to the clean company of your choice to be treated as Perfectly Legitimate Income, and it's smiles all around and champagne toasts the next time you all meet up on a Cayman Island beach. Theoretically, of course. I'm sure they learned their lesson about breaking the law back in their Gizmondo days and would never consider crossing that line again.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 1, 2020

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Not many. Even Skyrim had only ~100 people working on it ("The game was developed by a team of roughly 100 people composed of new talent as well as of the series' veterans." says Wiki).

From the big titles, it's mostly the very big ones - GTA V, The Witcher 3, few others. But there's always the issue of what consists of "developer" - W3 has 1500 people listed globally, but only ~250 people developed the game in-house. Or to say it otherwise, if WoT has people in foreign countries in tank museums that are there for PR and communication, would they be added to development team size?

In CIG's case, we already know that everybody counts as a developer, from the barista on up, because more employees = more legitimacy.

But that might be reasonable, given that the barista is probably only six to eight months away from being promoted to a senior lead position.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Beexoffel posted:

I'll try to remember berk. I only knew it as an obscure D&D Planescape term for a random guy.
Like a lot of Planescape jargon, 'berk' was borrowed from Cockney rhyming slang.

Berk, from Berkeley Hunt, from, uh...a word rhyming with 'hunt'.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/berk

There's definitely plenty of opportunity to put this vocabulary to work in a discussion about Star Citizen.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

resistentialism posted:

The development is extremely subtle,

It's like jazz, it's all about the development milestones you don't reach.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Thoatse posted:

Haha this guy's batsuit parachute needs a Star Citizen logo on it, it's extremely Chris Roberts's style of never been done before

You're absolutely right. (That's a picture of Franz Reichelt, modeling his 'wearable parachute' in 1912; he climbed up to the first platform on the Eiffel Tower to test it, and plummeted to his death.)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Dooguk posted:

You can tell looking at his body language that he knows it's not going to work and this will be his final farewell.

Same with the parachute guy.

Yeah.

Plus, everyone with any expertise or even common sense was telling him not to do it, that it would be a disastrous failure, that every element of his plan was flawed. Many even suggested other things he could try if he was serious about succeeding, but...he needed backers to give him money or he would have gone out of business entirely, so he just ignored them and went ahead anyway.

The parachute guy had all of those things, too, but also the wind to deal with. So really, Star Citizen was less ambitious.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Star Citizen schedule:
January: Planning month
February: Recovering from planning month
March: Secret/SQ42 work
April: More secret/SQ42 work
May: Some more secret/SQ42 work
June: Secret/SQ42 work ends, nothing of essence got released
July: Can't spoil CitCon
August: Can't spoil CitCon
September: Can't spoil CitCon
October: CitCon, nothing new (complete) gets revealed aside of ships to sale
November: Can't spoil end year video
December: End year video gets released, nobody mentions it ever again

Well, sure, but now that they've laid the groundwork for investigating improvements to their scheduling pipelines, the pace of all of this will really begin to pick up! Buy an Idris!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

CIG recruitment at its best:

- beg for a Lead Producer who has shipped two AAA games
- settle for an internally-promoted barista who has completed a "HELLO WORLD!" tutorial

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Still, it would do well to consider the possible hindsight bias that might be influencing our perspective of the past. I remember when the project first crowdfunded the image I remember being present of Chris Roberts then was that of an accomplished game developer returning to the industry to make the game he always wanted to. That wasn't such an unusual thing back in the heyday of crowd funding, and I don't think CR's past was as heavily scrutinized as it is today. Remember, SC's original pitch was just a modern Wing Commander or Freelancer. A perfectly reasonable and doable game. But as the money came rushing in the promises grew, and the scope grew, and the money grew, and everything grew in a runaway reaction as people bought into the hype, the dream, the narrative, the movement until it all soared into cloud cuckoo land and it was obvious that it was never going to happen.

True. When I first saw the kickstarter, my initial reaction was "Oh, cool, I'd have fun with a Wing Commander/Freelancer-esque space game," and I didn't really know or particularly care what Chris Roberts had done since going to Hollywood and being a huge failure as a movie director. He had made similar games before, so believing he could make a similar game again wasn't too big a leap. It wasn't like I was expecting him to do anything more than regurgitate the same basic concept he'd used before and let modern game designers and artists punch it up into something that would look like it was made in this century.

Of course, the kickstarter pitch almost immediately took a turn into multiplayer-focused play, at which point I tuned out and decided to not buy in at all, because none of that even remotely appeals to me. By the time I heard about Star Citizen again, it was a few years, a hundred million dollars, and countless increasingly ludicrous promises later, and the main focus of the project seemed to be figuring out just how much real life cash you could charge idiots for just a picture and a vague description of a videogame spaceship.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Nope.

I can see it now.

"Squelude is free to Concierge and Subscribers (Subscribers must have concurrent and continuous 3 billing cycles to qualify)."

I'll go you one better: "Squelude is free with purchase of this new heavy fighter that really punches above its weight; $350, new money only."

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Part of how you can reward people for spending an exorbitant amount of money on your broken game is to allow them to feel superior to their less spendy buddies by letting them work as free QA testers on prerelease versions.

Historically, the role of QA is a paid position. They do it for free, even filling out tickets per the specs of CIG requirements.

And even this is just another layer of smoke and mirrors, because they're only pretending to let people spend money to do that super-exclusive QA testing. The bugs they log aren't going to get fixed. They're probably not even going to be looked at. There are too many milestones they've already missed, too many promised features not even thought about yet, too many bugs they already know about, and way too much Chris Roberts to make digging through the massive pile of whale-submitted bugs even vaguely possible. There might as well be an actual garbage can behind the "submit" button, because that's where all those bug reports are going to go.

But letting the whales submit those bugs helps maintain the illusion that This Is Normal For Software Development, because real projects track and fix user-submitted bugs. And it also gives them a handy way to shut down complainers who think that spending real cash money on a game that they were told was being made entitles them to a game that isn't a janky-rear end pile of severe glitches and unfixable spaghetti code: "That bug was reported earlier and we are currently tracking the issue. Please submit future bug reports in the proper format to the Issue Council. Thanks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Realistically, CIG is a victim of ignorant people talking like they are experts and other ignorant people believing them.

This is mostly true. Unfortunately, the ignorant people talking like they are experts work for CIG (one of them is even in charge), and the other ignorant people keep giving them more money.

I'm not sure how CIG is the victim in this scenario, is all.