Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just lack of communication is a universal thing in all wars and especially WWI. Have a unit that advanced a little too far and a little too fast for the timetable. Have an officer realize they're in an area where they're not supposed to be and they're about to be subjected to the mother of all artillery barrages and their pigeons are dead and their phone lines are cut (because it's WWI). So they send back a runner. He goes through all sorts of convoluted war adventures but gets back to HQ and gets his message in just a little too late. The end of the movie is our hero on a faraway hill watching his mates get blown up by high explosive in a horrible mistake. He's helpless, the system is helpless, his friends are helpless, and no one is really at fault. Also he's perversely happy because by chance he's somehow alive when they're all dead. War is just hosed up like that.

I’d like to see this lighthearted romp of a ww1 book made into a movie: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45878. it’s a firsthand account of a German landing party that is left by their ship on an island in the South Pacific. if you want spoilers (for a 105-year-old story), the author is Hellmuth von Mücke who has one of the driest senses of humor I’ve ever read and here’s a snippet:

The Englishmen on the island were little pleased at the prospect, and begged permission, in case it should come to a battle, to withdraw to one of the other islands. Their request was granted.
Accompanied by two of my signal men, I now took my station on the roof of the highest house to watch the fight between the two cruisers. As a whole, the Englishmen showed little interest in the conflict that was going on but a few thousand meters distant from the island. Other matters seemed to claim their attention. With an ingratiating smile one of them stepped up to our officers, who were head over ears in work down on the beach, and asked:
“Do you play tennis?”
It was an invitation which, under the circumstances, we felt compelled to decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

coathat posted:

Two episodes in and the al pachino nazi hunter show is bizarrely written and made

it genuinely can’t decide if it’s pulp or earnest, you’ll get a shot that looks like the Hugo Stiglitz pop from inglourious basterds then an auschwitz flashback for some really powerful whiplash

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

is that the one that was bad because stealing water rights is boring and bond movies are supposed to be about flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracies that dont make any sense

i vaguely remember that movie did have a flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracy that didnt make any sense but the endpoint of all that being the villain just wanted to steal the water rights was fairly straightforward

it was bad because the people who made words decided that they would like to get paid so the director and Daniel Craig just kinda winged it on what he should say

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

does anyone here know what a jpg is

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nonathlon posted:

I've said this before, but I once read the AVClub blog of an Office episode and the comments below. And these people were opining about how things were in or out of character, taking about plot arcs, callbacks, what they hoped would happen or a character deserved: treating it like it was a soap opera or even real life. Isn't this just a little inappropriate for a dumb sitcom?

And on those lines, pop culture sites are becoming tiresome. Reading "trauma" into episodes of Steven Universe, quarterbacking movie studios (I'm sure Marvel is glad that you've got their back), angry that someone think their favourite video game is only okay.

That word "parasocial" is getting a lot of work these days.

this has been around since the dawn of the internet though? pop culture reviews always have to justify themselves and many of them do that by reading really far into the material or weaving really nonsensical narratives into things, nothing pitchfork wasn’t doing 15 years ago though. people are so connected now that you can get a read on what your social group is watching or listening to and their immediate review of it so reviewers have to work twice as hard to churn out emotionbait words about them for those sweet hot clicks

someone posted the Steven universe clip about him at a therapist talking about trauma and I think it’s actually cool and good that kid’s shows are teaching about mental illness

and nobody posting here gets to comment about parasocial relationships :ssh:

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Mar 18, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

working in film, I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to work on someone’s pet scene that you know know know will never make the cut but you get to invest 5 hours of your life in it anyways

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

did a lot better than your typical kook and got 20% of the vote.

the doc was really shady in portraying this as 20% of the general election vote. he got 20% of the libertarian party primary vote :rolleyes:

e: <700 votes

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Apr 4, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dex_sda posted:

that's still on?

it was renewed for a hundred episodes last year lol. also their staff unionized to the chagrin of one of the creators

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

here’s this incredible visual universe where anything is possible, now let me tell you what I wish my job as a radio host would be

like asking a genie for a box of crayons

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rewatched Air Force one right after Chapo and trueanon’s refreshers on yeltsin and hoo boy:

-just nodded at everything Gary oldman had to say
-lol at the us repeatedly tripping on their dick by kidnapping a foreign leader on orders of a puppet Russian president to start the whole plot then killing said leader on the orders of said puppet as he’s walking triumphantly out of prison then shooting down jets over sovereign airspace like holy poo poo how could that have no repercussions, not to mention the communist forces still controlled Kazakh airfields enough to launch fighters
-they had to make the mustache-twirling General a genocidiere just to justify any of the preceding (they don’t even say against whom because I’m sure the writers had no clue where Kazakhstan even was until the art department had to make the map for the radar display)
-decorum-poisoned veep doesn’t 25A the president for some reason and is never justified
-many people think “get off my plane” is the highlight of the movie. nope, it’s the prisoners singing the internationale over AF1’s PA system

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

Air Force One was genuinely ideologically motivated, Radek was the military dictator of Kazakhstan, a former Soviet officer who wanted to use his nuclear arsenal to retake Russia and create a new Soviet Union if I recall correctly

gary oldman being all like "You talk as if you have nothing to do with this! This is all of your doing, this infection you call freedom, without meaning, without purpose. You have given my country to gangsters and prostitutes. You have taken everything from us! There is nothing left! (spits at harrison ford)"

my headcanon ending of af1 is that the nukes start flying after the extrajudicial abduction and murder of a sovereign head of state

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

to me the new star wars films seemed to be kind of like game of thrones in that even if you were excited for the first few iterations of it, the last one was so obviously bad that we all collectively got amnesia about the whole thing

is there any franchise or piece of media at all that has staying power anymore now that there’s 10 billion things to watch? I can’t name a thing that came out in the last five years that people still discuss despite its popularity at the time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mostly remember Worf as being the guy who's right about the alien threat of the day and being shut down by Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the movie’s raison d’etre is to deliver the hammer-blow line of “the studios control the means of production”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Weirdlu emough i actually think the movie has some relevance. While the conditions of being a bored white guy with an unfufilling but well paying job are outdated, tylers mokies are basically proto-proud boys and from that perspective you can glean some insight

tyler was the only one with any sort of money. all the goons were bartenders and service industry wage slaves. bored white collar workers didn’t go away either, just waned a bit, especially in media because they have no compelling story to tell

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

So what's Biden-era mainstream liberal pop culture gonna be like?

And early guess? A lot like Obama-era stuff, but way more overt with its handwringing and handwaving of tensions. We're gonna get a lot of messages like "The world is complicated, but who cares?"

an endless stream of:
1. “average” people who live idle lives in huge apartments in big cities with a strong focus on the superficialities of their races and ethnicities, but not the real struggle of those broader groups (and certainly not of those in poor circumstances in undesirable places)
2. historical dramas but every protagonist is decades ahead in terms of social progressivism
3. still more cop/legal dramas but woke including several redneck white characters shown their error of their ways

get ready for a lot of trumpist apologia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I guess they’re bored enough to think Avatar is exciting, which is understandable. I got a year of Apple+ for free with my new work phone and am at the point in my own isolation where that drama about a morning talk show is looking pretty intriguing. It’s a dark future.

watch Little America instead, gently caress Morning Show for setting their show in NY and shooting all but 6 scenes in LA

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Little America is the documentary series about mildly eccentric people living mildly eccentric lives? How To with John Wilson primed me for more of that.

each episode is about a different immigrant’s story about reconciling their old culture with their new one in America

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

the guy who came up with this premise must have gone to one of Canada's best business schools and got really good grades

Incredible premise.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

i think the hbo max harley quinn series is funny as gently caress

I really really want to like it. I enjoy the setting and premise and characters and tone, but the jokes just don’t hit. it has that LA comedy writer myopia where every other line is an industry in joke or lazy snappy comeback or played out stereotype. very frustrating

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duz posted:

yeah, att has over $10 billion cash on hand, this is probably 100% coming out of just the marketing budget because they have so much money just laying around

budgets are fake lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

except it is awesome to be in the mafia right up to the end where you end up dead or in jail

the mob is a pretense for adult male friendships to blossom

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

ugh goddamn everybody knows okay

it was wild finding out the “most pretty women are cops” scene was word for word from IA

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I love all of iannucci’s other work and the acting is alright, the jokes just aren’t there and it’s a huge bummer

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nonathlon posted:

I've had this conversation recently with friends. There's a lot of stuff on streaming that just seems a little undercooked. The script needed a few more rounds of editing, the acting needed a few more takes, they really needed to do some scenes again, the whole thing could be tightened up. But presumably the economics don't allow for it

I feel that with the huge wave of new high-budget shows, more and more power is being taken out of the hands of the creators and writers in favor of producers feeding the algorithm. also you get a lot of green writers and directors who don’t know or can’t get what they want creatively and get rolled by the studios

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there should be an oscar for animal performances

also voice acting (insane there's not one yet)

not before stunts :colbert:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

joker got into the raspberry jam jar again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AC4AMEumU0

every loving time lol, just zero effort into getting the musical themes to mesh in a unified way

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

i kind of want to watch the snyder cut, but also kinda don't wanna watch a fuckin four hour superhero movie

is it worth

it’s really bad, def wouldn’t have kept it on if I weren’t post-vaccine couch bound. also the joker scene is at the verrrrrrrry end

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got an apple tv+ trial and and just finished the first season of for all mankind. I forgot how an RDJ show works and how a lot of very slow ~~poignant and topical~~ commentary is punctuated by poo poo like an astronaut getting disintegrated by a rocket plume and another one just heaving a fuel tank to a dead ship like a fuckin javelin and the ussr dodging afghanistan and chernobyl and I'm just hootin and hollerin over here

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Has there ever been a demographic survey of just how many actors on TV were originally high school drama club weirdos? I know some actors had even weirder childhoods than that, and some others had pretty normal lives until they stumbled into acting much later than usual. But I usually make the assumption whenever I see an actor on TV, especially if the persona presented is that of an aspirational everyman.

"Yep. He was actually probably a drama club dork."

from my experience working with actors? at least 80%

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh yeah the subtext is there that the death eaters are killing thousands of "mudbloods" and muggles in Britain alone. Then you can remember that the death eaters supposedly have global reach with thousands of members that have paralyzed the entire wizardry and muggle worlds.

Harry does become a cop and you joke, but the OG upper command of the death eaters almost all get away with their original crimes because they say voldemort mind controlled them and you can't prove they are lying.

JK makes a poignant nazi allegory, completely by accident, and then utterly fails to explore its implications

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Harry Potter had people going 'Huh, so kids DO have the patience to read full-length novels' when everything else was the Animorphs publishing model of endless ghostwritten filler. It's hard to see it in retrospect the same way as it was when it came out.

filler? animorphs was a a series of body horror novels framed entirely within a narrative of child soldiers killing a body-snatching invasion force. they just never became popular enough for KA Applegate to deem herself to be too good for an editor

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of them were ghostwritten and have nothing actually happen.

I clicked on a random ghostwritten one and got this:

quote:

Rachel, Marco, and a human-morphed Tobias and Ax assemble at Morgan Airport, where they jump the fence and hijack a private jet belonging to Phillip Morris USA. After putting the plane on a collision course with a building

sorry, seems like it owns actually?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I feel the exact same way about Leftovers and boy howdy is that a controversial opinion in TVIV

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my current film job does mandatory 3x testing per week and if you get a vaccinated destination on your badge, you're allowed to ride in production vans/buses and take your mask off outdoors. it's one of the only industries I've heard of doing it right, but that's because the unions continue to fight for it and 90% of the crew can't wfh

they also tell us that only 60% of the crew is vaxxed

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm so tired. I am interested in watching the movie so I'm not looking for spoilers, but does the segment at least make sense in the context of the film or is it just some random ching-chong-wing-wong poo poo thrown in for shits and giggles?

I'm grown up enough to know that depiction isn't necessarily an endorsement.

so the bit is this white guy and his Japanese wife (who doesn't speak English) open a sushi restaurant. he talks to her in very slow, loud, racist-accented English and she talks in very fast Japanese. the first scene with them leaves some ambiguity as to how much he can understand her but the next time he shows up, he has a new Japanese wife who doesn't speak English and admits he has no idea what she's saying. the protagonists don't critique or call him out for what he's doing, but the husband isn't portrayed as sympathetic either. it's made pretty clear that the wife is the competent one actually running the place, food and business wise, so the joke isn't exclusively the husband's accent like Mickey Rooney, it's more their weird dynamic as a couple and how uncontroversial his behavior was for the valley in the 70s

it's also two scenes total out of the whole film, one of the many vignetted stories

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Dec 14, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Matt Damon was the only good part, yea. More films should have him show up outta nowhere

his episodes of 30 rock are great and he's always pretty unassuming so you never know if his character is gonna be cool or an rear end in a top hat

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the scene where he goes off about The Legend of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole will never leave my brain.

no! I wanted the books to slide off!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the plot in that episode is confusing. Jack doesn't want his kid to be born in Canada because then he couldn't be president but Ted Cruz definitely ran for president

there's an episode where he makes a lifetime movie to get his wife out of a north korean prison and also one of the characters is immortal. it's a setup for jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hail caesar is fun, they should make more movies about communists proselytizing the science of historical materialism to empty headed himbos

my hypothesis is that they wrote the whole movie to hinge on the perfect Fischer delivery of "The studios control the means of production!"