Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I remember it coming out and afterwards having a discussion with a friend who hated it because it perpetuated the concept of loving up a planet and then just moving on elsewhere, like one would after pillaging a nice village. I get what he meant, and I agree that it isn't a great way to frame the climate collapse thing as a science and human spirit will persevere (and I don't even know how the Lazarus Project was going to really save us anyway).

That said, Interstellar is one of my all time favourite sci-fi flicks for the score, visuals, overall vibe of the film.

I like interstellar but it is a very lib-brained movie. The scene at the beginning where McConaughey's character is arguing with the school principal or whoever and he's like "Yeah, poo poo's hosed people are starving we really need farmers right now." And McConaughey's character all indignant is like "My daughter is going to go to COLLEGE!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

indigi posted:

the problem wasn't a lack of farmers it was that nearly every domesticated crop was susceptible to a rapidly mutating disease

I actually looked up that scene real quick since I own the disc and yea he literally tells him "We don't need anymore engineers we need farmers. We didn't run out of TVs we ran out of food." Although it was in regards to his son not his daughter I got that part wrong.The university only takes a handful of applicants and his son didn't pass muster.

It's very much a lib-brained experts are going to solve all our problems kind of movie. Still fun, though.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Best part of interstellar was when they leave that guy on the ship by himself for like twenty years and then Matt Damon blows him up. That guy really got the poo poo end of the stick.

Man I might rewatch interstellar tonight.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Ya it didn't make much sense but Chris Nolan needed his big bombastic tidal wave scene and it owns.

edit: vvvv yeah they left their crewmate alone in the ship while all that was going on. For them it was only a few hours maybe but for him it was a few decades lmfao

netizen has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Jul 23, 2023

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
All the best and brightest survived so that's all that really matters. Humanity shall persevere!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1683193352672428036?t=cq1ART4bOIA2nSghwe52Kw&s=19

They are selling an empty box containing no physical media and people will buy it

Apparently this isn't an official Disney release, it's being released by Manta Lab a company from Hong Kong. I guess it's just a collectible item that comes with postcards and other crap.

e: lol it's $90.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Okuteru posted:

They Cloned Tyrone was OK.

It felt like a remake of Jordan Peele's Us, but with a slapdash version of Get Out's social commentary on Assimilation. At times, it felt like a film adaptation of some 90s adventure RPG (Use the KEY CARD to access the elevator. Use FONTAINE to brute force your way though this area).

Jaime Foxx was a delight as a throwback 70s pimp placed in a retro futuristic setting, and the lady who played Yo-yo was pretty good, too.

Apparently Jaime Foxx got super sick after the filming of this and went to the hospital for a long time I guess he's doing alright now?? His old school pimp character was so good in this movie.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

RIP william friedkin! exorcist + sorcerer are certified 5 star goats, i need to watch some more of his stuff

https://twitter.com/mubi/status/1688592511437094923

Oh drat, that sucks. I just finished listening to his Marc Maron interview. He was a really interesting and charismatic guy.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

What's the word on Napoleon? we're thinking of seeing it next.

I don't know but I doubt it will bomb the way The Last Duel did being that Napoleon is a popular historical figure. Millennials are safe from Ridley's wrath.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

galagazombie posted:

I loved the last duel but anyone with half a brain could tell Ridley Scott his movie was tailor made to fail. Releasing it in theaters at the height of the Covid lockdown? A slow burn period piece? A non-crowd/spectacle movie in the age of streaming? What did you think was going to happen?

No it was the Millennials and their phones.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I like him well enough but I get the sense a lot of people are upset with the direction he took the Alien franchise.

e: I confused him w/ peter jackson for a sec lol.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

i say swears online posted:

gently caress the hobbit and ridley scott's shoddy work

i get them mixed up all the time, also I'm an idiot.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Xaris posted:

the coping was a dumb podcast thing he did with Marc Maron and was not like a media spectacle. of course buzzfeed/vox/vice/goons writers are full of the dumbest people who woefully misread anything to generate clickbait for other dumb buzzfeed/vox/vice/goon readers

it was like a 5 second clip from an 1 hour podcast and just him mindlessly broadstroke rambling about facebook, not really bomb coping or anything

every time theres an article about a director saying some poo poo like that you read the actual interview and it turns out that they didnt say it at all

Marc usually does a good job trying to coax it out of them, though. That's why I kind of liked the William Friedkin interview. I'm paraphrasing based on memory but Marc was basically like "Don't you think movies are missing something nowadays?"

And Friedkin was like, "Nah, not really, they're just different."

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Haven't listened to Maron in years and holy poo poo is the Friedkin interview good. He's very inspiring, with a ton of old guy energy and outdated takes like the cops in French Connection era Chicago were at times faking racism to survive, and despite this comes across as intelligent and likable. The way he says the word 'Blue-Ray' is extremely pleasing, just go listen to it. Going to go watch Bug which I've never seen, might rewatch Killer Joe which I did not realize at the time had helped McConaughey escape from romcoms.

Also definitely did not expect Nolte to be writing novels about his characters. Someone plz share more Friedkin content, I could listen to him talk about anything.

gently caress Fassbender, feels weird to admit that learning additional context with this car poo poo makes him easier to dislike.

His story about how he came up with the idea for Cruising is pretty wild, too. Most of Maron's Director interviews are pretty good. Tarantino is a really good one. It's interesting to hear how Directors think about films and how they came into making films and all that. To me, becoming a director seems as improbable as becoming an astronaut.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I almost forgot about how much Once Upon a time really hammered home just how much Tarantino loves feet.

I checked out the novel from the library today and got a little chuckle when I noticed the cover has a picture of Margot Robbie with her feet propped up on a stool. I don't even think it's a scene in the movie. He knows everybody knows about his foot fetish and I think he's just playing into it for laughs at this point.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ya you can tell he really loves that character. Haven't started the novel yet but I think he even wrote himself into it as a child getting to meet his hero Rick Dalton.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

kindof surprised loquacius isnt trying to hype us up for it himself given that the movies premise is literally everybody loves tom brady

I thought it was about how grannies love him.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Yellow is the color of my energy.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what is everyone's favorite spooky movie for the month of October? I gotta go with 2014's THE GUEST

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Ken's just better at the job than she was. He's charismatic and has a good report with the contestants on top of being a Jeopardy! legend. Whereas Mayim was never really liked and has a sort of forced lizard-person demeanor. I never got why they kept her around for so long when everyone clearly liked Ken better.

It's actually kind of incredible how badly they botched the whole Jeopardy host thing. They knew Trebek had cancer for a long time you'd think they could have handled it better.

netizen has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Dec 17, 2023

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

For those not up to date on Jeopardy lore, the former Executive Producer of Jeopardy was Mike Richards, a scummy sort of dude who had previously hosted game shows and aspired to host Jeopardy. It appears that the entire rotating host gimmick was his idea to create an opening/excuse for himself to host a few weeks and then at the end of the process announce himself as the new host. Similar to, as Ken Jennings put it on a podcast, Dick Cheney tasked to find the best Veep for GWB and then concluding it was himself.

lol, I had forgotten about that guy. If I remember correctly he was trying to play like he was "stepping up" to fill in for Trebek during this trying time when it was obvious he wanted the job.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

dr_rat posted:

i have a feeling the Very Serious Jeopardy Fandom does not care for things like being likeable, or fun of any kind.

What? Spending countless hours memorizing useless facts to be good at trivia isn't fun enough for you?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Replace a letter in benis to come up with a word for a male reproductive organ.
What is penis?
*Shocked Steve Harvey face*

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Yeah, Wolf Blitzer bombing on Jeopardy was an all time classic. Cheech Marin destroying Anderson Cooper was another great ep.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Al! posted:

my npr station is called jefferson public radio so its going to happen any day now imo

Does NPR still have that show where that nerd would cosplay as Jefferson?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

josh04 posted:

he's trying to get snyder back on the "shooting on film" train

and God bless him for it.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://youtu.be/thkFsTjM-DY?feature=shared

lmao did anyone talk about the new film the obamas produced, it looks so awful

The ending was top tier C-SPAM poo poo. You should watch it.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Greg12 posted:

I watched the whole obamapocalypse movie and cannot remember the ending it all

it sucked so bad

were the deer controlled by tesla autopilot?

oh gently caress I remembered it ends with that girl watching FRIENDS

It's a good movie. China hacks the deer and nukes the United States
and they also use sonic mindblasting devices.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cats are the natural predators of ghosts.

Spend a little time in the Astral Projection subreddit and you'll find that cats are actually spirit guides.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

indigi posted:

I think The Rock is a perfect movie that can't be improved upon in any way. but imagine a Rocklike with Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence and Will Smith and Denzel Washington. god drat I’m about to faint

The Rock 2 starring Chris Rock and Will Smith. Will two mortal enemies put their past behind them and work together to foil this terrorist plot?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

I knew he was playing up the redneck schtick but I didn't know he was completely making up the accent. Also, he looks like Colm Meaney in that picture.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what? I listen to music with violence and self harm all the time

:rock: cut my life into pieces :rock:

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
When you got movies like Timothée Chalamet in them, you can't lose.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

loquacius posted:

Part of why I hate it so much is that there was conflict in the show's premise and first few episodes and it just kind of fizzled out because they had no interest in it

It is a slice-of-life anime of a TV show

Writing conflict is hard. Much easier to not think and write on good vibes alone. Sounds like a decent gig if you can get it.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
It would have been hella cooler and more badass if they made it look like an eyepatch.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

i say swears online posted:

i have zero tattoos but have been thinking about a full shoulderblade-to-shoulderblade thing for my 40th bday because i'm too poor for a sports car or hair plugs or w/e other midlife crisis thing

Do wings, but one side is an angel wing and the other side is a devil wing.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
please stop talking about anime

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
anime will never die

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Lol Garfield was smoking his pipe. That cat is crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Got half way through Spaceman and got bored. Even Paul Dano as a weird space spider couldn't do it for me. I've read Blindsight and nobody will do space spiders better than that.