Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a bug made me (the player) cry

this is probably the best game I've ever played, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

She might've been an Ultra back in her younger and hungrier days, but both her demeanor and the color of scheme of her portrait suggest Moralist leanings.

She's surprisingly understanding about it if you take a hardline communist stance in your interactions with her. That and the self-deprecating way she talks about her role in society, I interpreted it as some kind of subdued remorse.

She also clearly doesn't want the situation to escalate to bloodshed. She didn't even want mercenaries in the first place.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xander77 posted:

Got drunk and aggressive, broke a stuffed bird - ashamed to look people in the eye.

ASHAMED.

Is that what it says? Neat!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

God in heaven we got a clown in here quoting that TPUSA 100 million deaths figure that includes, among many other things, the Nazis killed in world war II and the difference in birthrate between the USSR and western nations

Astounding. Did you fail an encyclopedia check or something?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Speaking of which, my first thought upon finding out about Klaajse's real line of work was "ooh, a shadowrunner."

considering that the devs of this game are clearly tabletop gamers I would say that there is definitely some conceptual omage there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, I spent a substantial portion of the early game thinking that Cunoesse had my gun, because the pawn shop guy said the person who bought it was scary and kept saying pigs, and Evrart implied some kids might have it..

I think that's an intentional red herring.

ha

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ragnar34 posted:

Oh man, my game had a huge bug too.

And I bet it was right at the end of the game, too. Typical.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Golli posted:

There is also one mystery I haven't puzzled out, maybe some of the detectives ITT can help.

How did Harry get back to his room after he crashed his car?

Very carelessly

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Epic High Five posted:

It's Suggestion not Good Suggestion

Good Suggestion is called Volition, after all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Let me guess, it's a good old case of "you are frankly depicting racism/homophobia/etc without glowing neon signs that say BAD GUY, ergo you are endorsing those things"

There is no satisfying that kind of moral crusader

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hwurmp posted:

Disco Elysium is the one RPG with genuinely realistic combat, don't @ me

What if I'm @ing you to agree

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

Speaking of overcoming hopelessness, I really liked the walking date Harry can go on with Lilienne the Net Picker. A second date at the end of a year of sobriety is an interesting stretch goal. Bonus when Kim is there as the lovably uncomfortable chaperone.

wait wait wait

are you saying... I can go on a date... with Kim?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Neopie posted:

It can be improved.

I disagree :colbert:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

overeager overeater posted:

What would be the funniest political alignment + copotype for a 1/1/1/1 failcop run?

I would say fascist cop but making Kim sad is not generally funny I think

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phenotype posted:

How does the game play out if you never find the bullet? I thought that was how you figured out the guy was shot instead of hung.

I think you can pump the hardy boys for circumstantial evidence in this regard. At any rate, the cause of death would be revealed at the end of the game in any case, I imagine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

freebooter posted:

I also missed it and at the same time you're interviewing Klaasje/noticing the ballistic evidence around her window, you get one of those little "meanwhile" chunks of text, about whoever's doing the proper autopsy back at HQ, and they say something like "ah, no wonder they missed it." Which... I guess would be possible, if the entry wound was then covered up by the tightened strap, and there was no exit wound?

We can safely say there is no exit wound, on account of the bullet never exiting.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DalaranJ posted:

Baba is You is much bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.
In that way, and basically no other way, it is quite like Disco Elysium.

Nonsense, it is also like Disco Elysium in that it is Good

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

...but it will make me happy...

Invest more in volition!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xanderkish posted:

In some ways, it's quite clever. Because from my experience the longer someone espouses racism the more they sound like a self-important moron.

you never hear anyone talking race science except from an angle of self-flattery

aside from our dear protagonist, of course

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Greaseman posted:

Is that made explicit? I took Kim going "sure, I'm part of the homosexual underground" as him rolling his eyes while trying to get you to drop the subject, if that's what you're thinking of. And it's implied that maybe he's being subtly manipulated by Klassje in a way similar to Harry, which makes me wonder.

Klassje has more going on than just her sex appeal, she is a talented manipulator and it's not out of the question that she is stringing along Kim for reasons that have nothing to do with his libido. Hell, the first time I played, I felt more sympathetic towards her than I ought to have, and I too am part of the homosexual underground

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xanderkish posted:

Man, what is it about Kim that makes him such a beloved character? I can't remember the last time I played a game and everyone just universally loved the player's partner, or a party member.

he good

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

John Charity Spring posted:

Austin Walker correctly identified Sunday Friend as monstrous but in the same article wrote about how moralists are just well-meaning but ineffectual centrists, which feels like a very basic misreading of the world presented by the game (not to mention the actual world we live in).

Part of being a liberal in the 2020s is the pathological inability to connect certain dots

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dias posted:

Honestly I think he isn't bothered by that aspect because he's a liberal, quite the opposite, he's an American Communist through and through, and any sort of jaded approach to being a communist tends to be met with strong rejection by those.

Nonsense, there's plenty of jaded American communists, they're just the ones who have been doing nonelectoral organizing work for at least a couple of years

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

If you go 1/1/1/1, then Harry can barely recognize his keys.

Also, who are the people who think Harry is handsome? Lena, for sure. Measurehead, hard maybe?

me

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

I have this shivering feeling that there exist Harry people, Kim people, and Harry-Kim people.

And Harry Kim people.

https://twitter.com/theyoungdoyler/status/1216602797287841793?s=19

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

(frankly I think Kim deserves better though. even if you do everything right Harry's still a big hot mess who probably needs to work on himself for a while before getting involved with anyone. Fisherwoman has the right idea)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lol I, the bug dummy, just realised the title is (among other things) a play on Disco Inferno

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Avalerion posted:

Do skills actually force you to do (or not do) things? I def had times when a skill was pushing me to take a drug or get drunk but I just didn’t.

You are captain of the ship, baby.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Dick posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return is both overtly left-wing and romanticizes the police.

a classic case of mixed consciousness

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Illegal drugs barely seem like an issue given they're treated exactly the same gameplay-wise as alcohol, which is cheap and plentiful, and the worst addicts you see are pretty much all alcoholics.

Seems like a good idea to talk the raver kids out of running a drug lab, which the union might see as competition.

I think the kids are going to start manufacturing for evrart

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Haven't played it but I was hoping it would be New Vegas in Space, but my understanding is that it pointedly falls short of that

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

itry posted:

At some point you can ask "Kim, why haven't we arrested her yet?" and Kim has no clue. Arresting her is the right and professional thing to do.

Edit:

as for specific reasons:
    Tampering with a body.
    Covering up a murder.
    Interfering with a time-critical murder investigation.
    Endangering the lives of everybody in the docks.
    Potentially leading to Ruby's death by sic'ing the cops on her.

If she hadn't done all of that then you'd have found a way to get to the Island instantly because you wouldn't be wasting time chasing false leads. You'd be able find the Deserter and bring him to justice, preventing The Tribunal.

And of course there's her being an awful manipulative person that uses people as chess pieces. But that's not a crime, it's just disgusting.

Yeah, she has a lot of blood on her hands. The blood of basically OK people she manipulated.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yeah, I can't think of any other games where you're an amnesiac because your character was such a fuckup that they drank themselves into brain damage

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

itry posted:

The Courier isn't an amnesiac, he's concussed. :v:

more like TBI. there was a bullet in those brainmeats

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wafflecopper posted:

i did, there's no need to be condescending. i just didn't find that part of it particularly convincing and felt like the rest of your argument relied on it so that's the part i wanted to respond to in particular. like yeah you're probably right, he does seem to have a reputation, it's just that to me the whole super cop thing stretches credibility

When you play as Harry, you are basically working nonstop from 7 am to 2 am, doing nothing but investigating (directly or indirectly) the murder. You do not take breaks. You are a relentless engine of focus and drive. It's a video game so maybe you don't think about it, but that is superhuman dedication and ability.

If that is how Harry functioned in the past, such an amazing record makes sense. I don't think there's any text in the game to suggest he is a fraud beyond just showing how damaged he is by this pathological workaholism.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hwurmp posted:

You can tell Kim you're wearing the boots and he says "Yes, I see that." :allears:

It's wild he is willing to put up with grand larceny and tampering with evidence like that.

I guess the cops must really be rotten if he decided it's still worth working with you rather than reporting it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

really sells how the Expression is an unnatural rictus

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flanders: If it's clear and yella, you got juice there fella. If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town. Now, there's 2 exceptions, blah blah

Volition [Legendary: Failure] - ooh... you can stay, but I'm leavin.

*Homer collapses*

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what inner voice makes homer shriek TRAMAPOLINE! TRAMBOPOLINE! and run into a wall?

pretty sure that's a composure failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I enjoy how tidy the lettering is.