Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish I'd grabbed Derealization early on. Would easily have been three or four skill points / forgotten thoughts ahead of where I am now if I'd done it day 1.

I suppose it doesn't really matter that much though. I think I might do another run, anyway, so I'm gonna grab it early.

chaosapiant posted:

Having finished two playthroughs, I'm thinking of now starting an rear end in a top hat/fascist run but....I don't think I have the courage to be mean in this game. :(

I don't think I can bring myself to do it, but from what I've heard being a fascist involves a lot of pretending you aren't a fascist.

I think I might do an ultralib/hustler run for my rear end in a top hat run. No more sorry cop for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think I misunderstood it at all. I finished it in 20 hours and completely solved the case, read every line of dialogue and saw every place available.

If you kept most of your skillpoints banked there was plenty of dialogue you never saw.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Do skills actually force you to do (or not do) things? I def had times when a skill was pushing me to take a drug or get drunk but I just didn’t.

Only other people's skills, like when Kim uses his Authority on you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I relentlessly savescummed white checks I was sure didn't matter, especially if they used skills I didn't care about.

The only important thing I would have savescummed (but didn't need to) was the dance party. It was vital to my entire self concept that I succeed there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah the clothing bonuses system was pretty dumb.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Mostly because of the dream sequence towards to end

Holy poo poo I had no idea this was a thing. Why would I ever choose to sleep in that ratty old bed while I had full stats?

loving hell! Am playing it right now, can't believe I missed this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I got caught in conversations and had to restart a few times, it was impossible to punch Measurehead for example, it just locked up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what did you think would happen if you tried to punch Measurehead

I thought I'd get my rear end kicked. I was very disappointed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The meeting at the end has some comments if you're wearing the full armor suit like I was, collecting enough pieces unlocks a thought that gives you a big bonus to the shootout, and wearing the breastplate saves your life even if you get shot by someone

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I can place everyone but one person. Who is the guy in green?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I really wish the end of day review for day one was something that happened every day. I spent like twenty minutes trying to figure out how to trigger it the second day.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I absolutely love the parts of the game where other people using their superior skills on you. Kim using Authority, Klassje using... everything.

A few bits of turnaround really do make it so much better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

centrists who choose neutrality and status quo

By invasion and upheaval in favour of one specific side over all others!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

so, only a cliche if you consume anime or anime-inspired video games

There's a lot of video games that do it, period. The Witcher, KOTOR, Cave Story, Geneforge, just off the top of my head. Like half the final fantasy games. A bunch more jrpgs in general.

Certainly enough to consider it a trope, especially within the RPG genre, what with jrpgs making up the bulk of it.

Although just the fact that Disco Elysium takes it from Planescape would probably qualify it as a trope all on its own.

Oh God why am I weighing in on this, I could be doing literally anything else other than having a conversation about tropes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 8, 2020

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Didn't the pissing match only start when the Harry squad had already bowed out.

Otherwise Kim got there super loving late considering it should have been solved by then.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This makes me feel like I missed something important by somehow missing any sort of karaoke scene.

I really need to replay this game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The union aren't communists.

I really need to remember to start a quick game with maxed out Inland Empire just so I can talk to the eyes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Turpitude II posted:

where are the mysterious pair of eyes, anyway? and where does this conversation happen? i've managed to miss both of these things so far.

From what I've heard, its near the port gate on the first day if you have absurd inland empire.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, knocking things off the list. Got the good dream ending, saw various sights... Does anyone know how many Van Eyck gig posters there are scattered around? Not sure if I missed any. Couldn't bear to do a Cuno run, I just couldn't let that happen to Kim.

I'm assuming there's no actual solution to the puzzle that is the red chair room?

christmas boots posted:

You don’t have to be consistent. You can easily be a Boring Sorry Apocalypse Superstar Cop who preaches the virtues of Liberalism, Communism, the Free Market, and Fascism.

Sort of considering a Fascist Feminist run just to see if they interact at all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Has anyone had trouble with any of the achievements? They've been mostly pretty straightforward (although the Gluten-free pie one is really obtuse and I went out of my way to get the Palerunner achievement instead of glitching naturally) but I can't seem to get the Massive Torque Dork one.

That is probably the one with the weirdest requirements, because it require you NOT to meet the requirements before doing so, I think?

It's weird. Use the wiki.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve just started Day 4 and so far my strategy of “just out a skill point into whatever you need at that moment” is working quite well.

The only real problem there is that the vast majority of the skill checks in the game are passive and invisible. But that's pretty much the way I played first time through anyway, yeah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Only thing I disagree with him about is that Kim is a moralist. Kim goes out of his way to indicate he is not, in fact, a moralist, although he used to be.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, what was the deal with that? I always kept the tie on, but I didn't pjt points into IE, so I think I must've missed a lot. (At least, I don't recall the tie saying anything particularly special/redemption-worthy)

You need to talk to the guy selling booze near idiot doom-spiral for the Tie's redemption arc to begin. I missed it on my first playthrough as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

She didn't say there was any user choice involve, right? Just random uniqueness. There's actually a couple movies that have done similiar things, right? Where different people randomly see different versions?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Some skills, like Rhetoric and electrochemistry, are probably mechanically detrimental more often than not.

They are still very desirable and awesome though. And most of their drawbacks can be ignored by just not listening to them (but you should listen to them anyway sometimes)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I very much enjoyed getting into a lot of trouble with the Sunday Friend.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

i am a moron posted:

Have they patched any new dialog in? I just had a conversation with my Limbic System about apes dukin it out on a huge ball during the opening, never had that happen before and this is like my fourth playthrough.

That's like one of the most iconic and talked about and quoted scenes in the game from the day it was released, so, no. Its definitely not new.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sorry for the tangent, but has everyone tried out the "gameboy version" of Disco Elysium yet?

https://csbrannan.itch.io/disco-elysium-game-boy-edition

It's surprisingly good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Holy poo poo, this is amazingly perfect.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FutureCop posted:

Kinda felt like they lost what they initially built, but again, in a similar fashion to above, maybe this goes with my character getting more comfortable with being a cop and thus, not saying stupid things in the first place (well, at least not incredibly stupid things).[/spoiler]

There's definitely some encounters later in the game where this is still true. Several conversations towards the end make saying certain things... risky. But the consequences are usually fairly soft, mechanically - a minus 1 or 2 to checks that you'll need to make later on or a penalty to health and morale that you can fix with drugs, so if you had the right stats and items to pass those checks even saying something dumb isn't gonna mess you up much. Usually.

You can and will get killed for saying the wrong thing when talking to the Hardies, though. The game gives you plenty of chances to NOT do that, but if you stubbornly continue to say the things it tells you you probably shouldn't say... yeah. Game over, man, game over. I think that's the only instance of dialogue=death though.

Oh wait no there's also shooting Cunoesse but I guess that's more doing the wrong thing during a dialogue than saying the wrong thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I got the impression that the Innocences were... not really human, on a fundamental level. Or at least Dolores Dei wasn't. But maybe I'm just giving too much weight to the opinion of an assassin?

quote:

One of the men in this secret service killed her -- 22 years later. A young man who had come to suspect that Dolores Dei was not entirely human, but something else. Dolores Dei was shot in the chest with a fowling piece. The man, thought to be insane, said he once touched her and her body had been unnaturally warm, like furnace -- and that sometimes while on duty he observed her forgetting to breathe for over ten minutes... Something that had walked in our midst, watching us stumble for hundreds, if not thousands of years, until it decided to interfere -- interfere in the course of our history. "We were supposed to come up with this ourselves!" the man was reported to have screamed at the innocence... This *inhuman* quality was witnessed by many others as well -- glowing lungs and all. It is commonly attributed to mass hysteria and religious psychology.

Also the innocence that the world had just before the game set resigned and said people should learn to excel on their own rather than deifying history.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I love cunos voice but something definitely seems off about the recording itself and I wouldnt mind if they fixed it somehow.

I'd love to say I trust them to still pick good new voice actors but I still can't stand the new portraits (I think they look goofy and not in a good way) so I dunno! Maybe I'll end up being a "purist" after all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vegetable posted:

they really should use em dashes

The em dash is quite possibly the worst, most horrible piece of punctuation ever invented (far worse than asterisks for emphasis by an order of magnitude) and the fact that there exists people that don't just tolerate them but actively prefer them to any other option will never cease to boggle my mind.

Anyway,. I've got lots of friends who are holding off on their first dive into this game because they are waiting for the final cut, I am super excited.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hey now—let's not say things we can't take back!

I genuinely hate this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Or, hear me out here, don't use it. Just don't.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While it would of been great if the voice actor they got to voice half a million lines of dialogue in a free update could also do 24 unique funny voices, I think it's reasonable that's not the case and probably for the best for the voice actors health, both physical and mental.

I think people were mostly expecting the actor to have different feelings/moods/affects and maybe effects overlayed. Not genuinely different voices. Any skilled voice actor should be able to cover that range pretty easily I would think?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I explicitly remember NOT being able to do the church stuff post tribunal and having to reload to an earlier save...

Or wait, maybe it was immediately prior to the tribunal, that would make more sense

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The important thing about the political ideologies as represented in the game is that they are also deeply personal, and thus deeply flawed because of who you are on a fundamental level. Even if an ideology is "right", the game makes it clear that Harry's embracing that ideology almost certainly has a lot more going on in terms of his reasons to do so than any surface level reading of the ideology itself would present.

And I think that holds true for the other characters too. For the most part, the likeability and admirability of the other characters is not primarily dependent on their ideology. Even one of the fascist characters is genuinely sympathetic, and there are examples from all ideologies of the people espousing them and genuinely believing them being hosed up and monstrous. Because the politics always has to travel through that personal lens, and the politics you espouse does not actually change who you are on a fundamental level, it can only reflect it.

Harry embracing every ideology inconsistently makes perfect sense when you realize he's a man struggling for a coping mechanism and using ideology as an attempt to shield himself from a past he is obsessed with. Harry embraces fascism not for any nationalist reasons so much as because he is angry and bitter about a woman and doesn't want to blame himself for losing her. He embraces communism for similar reasons, he is idealizing a past and it's potential future that was never going to happen, and now he's unable to move on, and simultaneously wishing he could clear away all the detritus and just start over, and it just leaves you angry at an unfair, unjust world that hurts people who don't deserve it (because you've been hurt and you didn't deserve it, or thats how you see it). Ultraliberal Harry clearly doesn't engage with his 'hustle' on a substantive level, but instead uses it to distract himself from thinking deeply about things, because thinking deeply about things hurts and its easier to build a fantasy world for yourself where you're actually super successful and in-the-know about a bunch of poo poo and definitely not the failure of self control that you actually are. Finally, moralist harry is ultimately still a cop, an enforcer of the status quo, and doing your job well actually is important to you because it's literally the one thing you've got left, it's an admission that your hope for something better is gone, torn apart by your failed past, and you're doing your best to ignore the hosed up state of the status quo because the only alternative is oblivion.

No matter which ideology you pursue, you are still, ultimately, Harry, with all that entails. There's a reason the ideologies available to you are what they are, and why you can't be any of the several ideologies presented in the game as belonging to characters that aren't you and only have those four to pick from.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 25, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

i am a moron posted:

Wow some of you must be insufferable irl. They set the table early talking about apes duking it out - the fact that some of you got so attached to another form of tribalism presented in the game says more about you than me. There isn’t an oversimplified political ideology they didn’t take the piss out of, but congratulations on your intellectually superior reading of the game I guess.

You know they talk about the evil apes duking it out on the ball again later, with a much different take on things, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think Rene is depicted in a sympathetic way, even if his ideology and the things it has done to him isn't. And he's a literal fascist footsoldier.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 26, 2021