Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We have a release date?! :neckbeard:

Been following this for what feels like years.

Accordion Man posted:

Going to look like a slob and bug the poo poo out of people with stories about my wife until they incriminate themselves.
:hmmyes:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It will be good. :colbert:

Please be good. :ohdear:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thinking of the question "What kind of cop are you?"; I came up with a thought exercise that might be fun to do, and maybe help us get familiar with the Metric system.
The idea is to pick a character from a book/movie/play/etc. that you really like, or just want to emulate in the game, and create a sheet for it.
Pick a famous cop or detective, such as Sherlock Holmes - Elementary version. Or the friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Maybe Macbeth? Or how about Lorraine Broughton (Atomic Blonde)?

I picked Lew Archer, one of the classic hardboiled private detectives.

This is my subjective read of the character (If you think you have a better one then :justpost:)
I used High/Fair/Poor to describe the skill levels, but you can do w/e.

Psyche
pre:
	Volition		High
	Inland Empire		Poor
	Empathy			High
	Authority		Fair
	Suggestion		Fair
	ESPRIT DE CORPS		?
Motorics
pre:
	Hand/Eye Coordination	High
	Reaction Speed		Fair
	Perception		High
	Savoir Faire		Poor
	Composure		High
	Interfacing		?
Intellect
pre:
	Logic			High
	Rhetoric		Poor
	Encyclopedia		Poor
	Drama			Fair
	Conceptualization	Fair
	Visual Calculus		Fair
Physique
pre:
	Physical Instrument	Fair
	Electrochemistry	Poor
	Endurance		Fair
	Half Light		Poor
	Pain Threshold		High
	Shivers			Fair
He'll get sapped, but that won't stop him for long.
Prefers to not carry a gun whenever possible, but is an excellent shot.
Empathic, but will often be critical of people's appearance.
Knows the ins and outs of his profession, but he isn't a walking encyclopedia.
Can understand addicts, but can control his own urges.
Isn't beyond lying to people to get information.
Won't be bought or suffer corruption.
Has an excellent memory for clues and facts.

Well, that's Archer. Hope you enjoyed my :words:

itry fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 26, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think it would be fun to pump lots of points into Electrochemistry, Shivers, inland Island, Interfacing, H/E and Encylopedia. Just a drug-addled paranoiac crumpling under a dozen different visions, psychic intuitions and bizarre facts.

You don't play the game - the game plays you. :hmmyes:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Opoids can cause constipation.

"We can't fight right now", says Endurance, "We really need to take a poo poo."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but then how could you play as Captain Sam Vimes

There does seem to be some similarity between the PC and pre-"Guards! Guards!" Vimes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Robert Kurvitz posted:

We accommodate for every stupid little thing that you wanna do.

grate deceiver posted:

listen up nerds, I'll say it

game gon be gud

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Kyle Hyde posted:

I was amused that in that whole preview they never found, or seemed to think to find, their shirt. Just walking around and talkin to people in a blazer and tie over open chest.

A bold fashion statement.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"The influence of the *Ham Sandwich Race* is waning." :allears:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Please close this thread until release day so I won't be tempted to read it.
Thank you kindly.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some people don't have an inner-voice at all, actually.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Brains are weird.

:same: but with brains.

SelenicMartian posted:

Will the PC have a voice telling him to jump off bridges?

Inner Broseph will egg him on, daring him to do more and more dangerous stunts. :ohdear:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I demand release time be 12 AM Estonia time. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm just at the blackness intro, but that conversation was something else;

What's out there? The apes and the ball. How small are the apes? How big is the ball?
What happened to me?
You lost.

And then that loud engine sound. Chilling.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm nearing the end of the second day and need some cash for rent. I'm wondering if there is any use for this item or can I safely pawn it? :ohdear:

This game is very dense, I feel like I'm going through it really slowly.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hub Cat posted:

You can give it to the old guys if you threw their ball in the water

But it's not even the same size :monocle: (or at least it doesn't look like it is).
I didn't ruin their game, so I assume it's safe to pawn. Unless there's a way to open a youth gym and get my hobo-cop into shape. Thanks.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 16, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iGestalt posted:

I'm torn on what I want to do for my first run. Either a 4/2/2/4 (Percpetion) run as a thinky seey or a 2/2/4/4 (Not sure) run. The way they've made every skill be interesting and involved is really neat and refreshing

Look at the skills themselves and their syngergies. The category level only limits how many times you can train the skills you find important for your type of detective.

And you get a point at a constant rate of 100 exp points. And there are ways to raise the caps.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 16, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This made me laugh more than it probably should have:

It's just a cropped out of context comment by Conceptualization.

Al! posted:

i found out what my real name was but it still says "name unknown" on my profile because i rejected it

Guess it's not really your name then. You'd know best, wouldn't you?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You know what this game really needs? Outfit loadouts.
I keep switching clothing a lot and it's kinda hard to keep track on what I'm wearing, or looking for.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

So, about that shipping container... I only have one question: What THE gently caress was THAT?

OscarDiggs posted:

I dunno why but the idea of setting up to fail deliberately makes my teeth itch.

If success means doing something horrific, is it actually a failure?

itry fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Finished the game. I had a 3/5/1/3 Harry with high Empathy/Volition/Perception/EDC, and I love how he turned out by the end.

A lot of stuff to say, but it's all spoilers. Maybe when the thread quiets down and more people have played it.

The end with the phasmid was pretty strong too, similar to the end of day 1. And it was fun shoving my accomplishments down Jean's throat. Man that incredibly sad guy (according to Empathy) guy comes off as a prick.

Small complaint: The ending/fade-to-black was kind of abrupt.

Maybe I'll go with a drunk and angry cop next playthrough.

And these moments were pretty great:

Would also work with a lot of the other ones.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 19, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The game tells you when you're reaching a point of no return or something like it. I don't know how long I've played, but it must have been at least 20 or 25 hours.

I haven't read all the books, and I haven't done some stuff I know I could've. There's probably more I'm not aware of.

The devs are possibly counting multiple playthroughs.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 19, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No it doesn't. Finding Ruby triggers the shootout which closes some things in the harbor, but going to the isle triggers the actual ending.

It may be also time limited, but if it is I haven't reached it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zikan posted:

the shootout closed off a few side quests in my game so it's basically the start of the endgame imo

Well yeah, but only in the harbor. There's stuff to do beyond the water-lock.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I get the feeling he didnt even break down doors completely unrelated to his investigation. :thunk:

Everything's related. :tinfoil:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

OscarDiggs posted:

::(:

drat it. It didn't feel like I was rushing. It's only been 5 days. And since the passage of time of day isn't up to me, I don't understand how I could have screwed up this bad.

What day are you on? Because thinking I had a 5 day time limit is what informed most of my decisions.

I was on the fifth day when the shootout happened, then I woke up on the seventh day.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There are at least 2 playthroughs in this game, and that's already about 40 hours. :shrug:

Regardless, I think I got my money's worth.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Basileus777 posted:

If only there was a thought that let you scroll the map without moving the player character.

:hmmyes:

cubicle gangster posted:

Also i'm at 8 hours played and at the end of day 2, my to do lists just keep getting bigger and i'm barely knocking anything off them. The end game is triggered by doing something and not which day i'm on isnt it?

Pwnstar posted:

The endgame happens on Day 6 if you don't trigger it earlier.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 19, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Basileus777 posted:

It's nice seeing this text slightly differ. I wonder what all the signs of being a high school gym teacher the game tracks.

More than slightly in my case.

Did anybody try not to pay for the room and sleep under a bench or something? Or under that tarped boat near the abandoned house with the swing.

Oxxidation posted:

retrieved my gun. that was not the scenario i expected

when i saw Pigs my first thought was "in a different kind of game this lady would be a loving boss encounter"

She kinda was a boss encounter though. Like DE:HR's real bosses were the conversation matches.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 19, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hub Cat posted:

So I tried not progressing the plot at all and there isn't a game ending time limit or at least not one within a reasonable playtime if anybody was worried about that

I'm up to day 10 of not progressing the plot and the only thing that has changed is the old royalist guy dying, the hardie boys and the cops from your station showing up at the hostel, and the jacket guys showing up

Good to know. I'll probably take my time on a second playthrough.

BBJoey posted:

Right proper ending spoilers:

At the very end of the game, second last piece of dialogue, I got an esprit de corps check of Captain Pryce and the precinct medic going through a list and concluding "Harry's our man, he'll pull through. When he does, he'll side with the people." Am I going out too far on a limb in thinking Precinct 41 is planning an insurrection of some sort? Or is that standard regardless of ideology?

I got that too. Not sure if it's dependant on any ideology. I chose not to ponder any of them.
It did say "Revachol" instead of "the people", if that's a direct quote.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also I wonder when the alt right gamer brigade is going to find out this game allows you to embrace fascism but the motivation is directed By gut flora and the poo poo in your little intestines

It's also funny that the (ending spoiler) killer is basically a racist, women-hater hypocrite. Gamergate-esk.

Oxxidation posted:

and a question of my own - i read a few posts about a quest involving a drug-running operation. who gives that out? i'm on the verge of day 5 and while i've made good progress on the murder case and the church quest i haven't heard anything about the drugs

There is another way to find out about it not involving Joyce at all. So if you don't want to cooperate with her, you don't have to.

Mulva posted:

You're a big ol' Sad Boy, doing it Sad Style, rocking out to Sad FM. The only way you end up as machismo huffing jerk is if you decide to go that way. In which case, well, that's on you.

:emptyquote:

itry fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 19, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was. :hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, the clock only moves from 0730 to 0200.

Unless you're Kim, in which case you wake up before 0700. Probably goes through his notes too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They do tell you it's "game-over", but yeah, pretty weird and inelegant.
I haven't done it, but I assumed you could sleep in the dumpster.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Doing a second playthrough with a different build. I highly recommend running away from Garte just to see what happens.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, you get some pretty fancy jackets as you go. There's a weird lack of pants in the game though, for whatever reason. I think there's like maybe 4 or 5 pants total?

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno, you get some pretty fancy jackets as you go. There's a weird lack of pants in the game though, for whatever reason. I think there's like maybe 4 or 5 pants total?

Yeah, it's really weird. I've been walking around with the FLAN trousers for the majority of the game. And there are only 4 pairs of normal shoes, not including the sabatons. More hats would be nice too.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 20, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The ending had a sequel hook, so I'm pretty sure they're already planning it.

Jerusalem posted:

I did this (successfully) on my first (and current) playthrough and it was wonderful. What happens if you fail?

Failing the check is much more fun. You should try it with a new game, it's just 5 minutes in.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 20, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harrow posted:

Starting up a new playthrough after my first is proving challenging because I found the way the story went to be so satisfying. I suppose the only solution is to go for something extreme HARD CORE TO THE MEGA this time.

My first run was 4/3/2/3 with Shivers as my signature (which also ended up being my highest skill in the end). This time, I'm considering either doing something nuts like 1/5/5/1, or just going with the starting physical build which I think is 1/2/5/4.

I think if you want something HARDCORE you should go 1/1/5/5. :cop: :cocaine:

And I know what you mean. I really liked (my) Harry as a character after I fnished the game.

pmchem posted:

Is it currently possible start a 1/1/1/1 character without mods and successfully complete the main quest?

It should be possible. There's a lot of stuff that can raise your stats and caps.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 20, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sad cop is canon. Not sure about the boring part.

But it's OK. You can get better. :)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I found two bullets. I don't know if there are more.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you can't stand hardboiled noir stories then you might not like the game's ending, or story beats.

Neurosis posted:

Edgar and Evrart wanted conflict too. Evrart is pleased as punch at everything that followed from the murder acting as a spark. I got the impression Wild Pines was more willing to compromise but was playing dirty by sending the merc team in to drum up scabs and if an opportunity came up kill the Union leaders.

Evrart also must have known who killed the merc. He absolutely wants a war.

There are at least two bullets in the game.
And I'm pretty sure the killer wanted to kill Klassje too somewhere in his broken brain, instead of just "punishing" her.

Xander77 posted:

Ok, cheat engine doesn't seem to do anything besides crashing my game.

Any other trainers that work / aren't filled with malaware?

Go through this thread, it has various tables: https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?t=10530

Your game crashes probably because you're trying to access protected memory addresses.

PSA: CE exe might have adware if you install it while your PC is online. Or at least it used to have adware. So just go offline before installing it.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 21, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not when I installed it, which admittedly was using an older exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harrow posted:

A nice little touch I enjoy is how, if you mouse over Thought Cabinet ideas or clothes and look at the skill bonuses and penalties they give, there's always a little blurb that contextualizes/explains why each bonus/penalty exists. Those little blurbs are often pretty fun.

What is Polo?

No, but seriously... what the gently caress is Polo?

BlondRobin posted:

+1 Conceptualization: "What is polo?"
-1 Encyclopedia: "No, seriously, what is polo?"

Dammit :arghfist:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Should I recreate my highly empathic supernaturally attuned sad cop or should I go muscle head full authoritarian turbocop?

Seconding the empathic sad cop being very satisfying to play.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 21, 2019