Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Boris should've resigned the moment he heard ruling. You know the first order of business is going to be a no-confidence vote.

Second order is going to vote to shitcan Brexit.

Actually, they can't no confidence first or he'd already be out.

They have to do a couple of things to make sure that they don't Brexit out before a new election can be held. One of those things may include throwing Johnson into a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And all it took was Trump going after one of their own for some lovely nepotism. Truly the Rubicon had been crossed at that moment.

Paradoxish posted:

She's stuck at this point. A majority of the caucus is in favor of impeachment, so there's no way this isn't going forward.

This has been true since last year. It really is the fact that Trump is going after the presumed candidate that has made her move.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

lol what does this guy think equal protection means

I want him to say that to a lawyer just so I can watch a lawyer's head explode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I still don't think they'd be so quick to comply if they knew it was damning. They'd fight more. Maybe it's just me.

My guess is there will be an 18 and half minute gap in them or something similar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The worst part of gainful employment is that I won't be able to follow this through the day and at this point I'm expecting eight batshit insane things to happen before lunch.

How have the WH aides not locked Rudy in a room far away from cameras yet?

"He triggers the libs!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, there's the new thread title.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had a meeting after lunch with my boss who casually mentioned that he used to work for Joseph Maguire. Then he went on about how "non-partisan" Maguire was and how his testimony was great. My boss did not appreciate me providing actual facts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The question is how many potential leakers are left still having access to leakable things

If there's two leakers for every crime Trump committed in the white house then the number of potential leakers exceeds the total population of the earth.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What do we think are the odds of Rudy causing a constitutional crisis by ignoring the House?

Rudy ignoring the house isn't a constitutional crisis. He's not a member of the government and the congressional powers and response are extremely clear.

The crisis will come when the justice department refuses to haul him in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rick Perry is a shithead who couldn't pass Meats, but I doubt this is part of Trump Ukraine scheme. Perry hasn't been one of Trump's crimebuddies and cabinet members going to a foreign leader's inauguration when diplomacy matters is a normal thing.

Which doesn't mean don't ask. Just that I doubt they'll find anything here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There’s a press conference by the house Dems today, right? What’s it about?

Speculation is that Mike Pompeo has been committing more crimes for Trump and not even doing them especially secretly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Next week they announce the Nobel Laureates of 2019 and I really hope Greta gets the peace prize, just for that sweet, sweet twitter rage from big dum dum.

She wasn't in the public eye during the nomination period. She's got a shot at 2020, though!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not all on the same heart, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems NK basicaly just demanded everything for nothing.

Which is what they have continuously done and why previous administrations haven't had any luck making progress. Then this one decided to ignore what everyone else has done and had to learn all the lessons over again from square one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sanchez posted:

I could possibly make it down there, sounded like the audience was having a blast at the last one.

Do it, dress in a suit, say you're from the SA News Service, and ask a question like, "In a statement earlier today, Harris said that you were barely a 3 in bed. How do you respond to these allegations?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Trump PROBABLY won't be removed by the Senate

But I'm comfortable saying that the odds are no longer effectively 0. It's hard to imagine his handling of this being poorer. He's currently got Lindsey Graham saying he's wrong on Twitter, and nearly everyone is critiquing his decisions RE: Turkey.

Trump being removed is going to require some amazing self-destruction that directly threatens the senate republicans. We're talking things like actually having Adam Schiff arrested or announcing that he'll institute mandatory abortions in exchange for democrats stopping impeachment. Trump's working on it; I think by Thanksgiving we'll have a much better idea if he'll manage to shoot himself in the foot enough to get republican senators on board.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I guess we have pretty good odds of seeing Giuliani arrested in the next few days if he thought he was going to be caught up in this bust.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

The Trump Presidential Library is going to be a gift shop.

The Trump Presidential Library will be a couple of warehouses of evidence boxes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

I think everyone with an IQ over 80 realizes that Trump is a Putin proxy by now.

Excuse me, Trump's IQ is nearly 83 and he doesn't realize he's a Putin proxy; he thinks he's a smart and handsome manipulator.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/1184424038472568832

this sounds illegal in a very straightforward way

You're not supposed to go, "Why not both?" to "Tax fraud or bank fraud?"

The article makes it really clear how blatant this is. I mean really blatant. Like, if anyone did a cursory examination of tax documents it would be the first thing they spotted blatant.

skylined! posted:

More importantly, where can I find these incredibly loving stupid investors?!

Not in the US! Until 2015, Trump had to go overseas to find people who thought he was worth putting money into. I also wouldn't be shocked if this was part of the money laundering Trump was doing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Trump making a dumbassed claim about making new nuclear weapons means he's either making poo poo up again, or someone accidentally told him a state secret and forgot that he leaks like sieve. At this point I'm going to go with the former but the latter isn't out of play. He may have even told Putin before he told anyone else.

If he means manufacturing more of them, it's not a state secret. I briefly spoke to a recruiter a year or so ago about a job that turned out to be manufacturing parts for new bombs (I thought it was for nuclear power plants). If he means whole new weapon designs, then that would be different.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like you could say, "Their testimony could prove damaging to Trump," about anyone who had been around him for more than five minutes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's no way that Trump doesn't use this time to demand criminal justice reform to protect presidents.

I know he's going to back out, but it's going to be so good if he actually does it.

eviltastic posted:

...the Lanham Act? In his capacity as President and political campaign, and not on behalf of his businesses?

It's a pity that the suit won't be filed and if it is it won't be litigated for long, because it'd be hilarious to see some poor judge have to do fact finding on what exactly has confused the public or damaged the prestige of the Trump presidency, or the brand of the presidency in general.

e: thread movin' quick today.

It would never get to that point. This is a summary judgment in the first motion followed by sanctions against the attorneys who were stupid enough to file it situation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I think he is really pushing things too far with how absolutely blatant he is, and a lot of them are privately wondering what he will want them to defend next

Most GOP members have like 1-2 open scandals. Trump has 1 every loving day, sometimes multiple

His asks have become more and more insane and overreaching, and he will never stop because he demands complete loyalty at all times, so every new insane thing he does is another loyalty test

It's going to be interesting to see how many GOP defections against Trump finally occur. He's definitely broken a few of them, but it's going to take something really huge and directly threatening to them to really get the GOP to revolt.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I like those odds! I also have been figuring it closer to 10% at the moment. And falling as Trump gets enough time past the stuff that's driving the wedges between Trump and those senators that it falls out of their goldfish brains.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I have a harder time seeing a realistic path to Trump not get removed from office than the other way around, tbh

We're talking about people who are explicitly saying things that amount to "a republican president cannot do anything wrong and you are going against God to suggest otherwise". The senate votes really are not there. If they impeached right now and sent it over for a trial I think that they might get five republican senators to vote for removal.

That said, Trump has been doing some very stupid things lately and it's possible he'll do something that forces a lot more republican senators into revolt. Remember that it took Trump actually threatening the democrat party directly by setting up crooked investigations to finally get them willing to start advancing on impeachment; it's going to take something on that scale to move any amount of republicans.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 20, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's good to know that they've invented a computer that can tally all of the Trump crimes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are Texas and Montana similar states to Kansas?

They haven't been completely obliterated by republicans going full republican which is what's making Kansas shift (I'm not sold on that being a permanent change, either). Texas, however, has demographics that should be making republicans very nervous and has been looking like they're on the verge of a big political shift for a while. I don't know about Montana since why would someone pay attention to Montana.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ManBoyChef posted:

what do you think of durham doing a criminal investigation against the people that investigated russian interference in the 2016 election? Fascism much?

It'll be hilarious if they forget to stack the investigation with political hacks and they wind up indicting some Trumps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

For being a country that is, in theory, built around the idea that monarchy is a tyrannical system, there sure are a lot of Americans who are all for treating their president like a king.

There are times for cordial politeness to assholes. The ball park is never one of them and at this point I'm not sure any such time exists for Donald Trump. I'd say maybe in court as he's on trial for his crimes, but frankly I think he deserves heckling even then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

What happens when a Marine kill team helicopters in to kill a dog?

The best Air Bud sequel ever!

("There's nothing in your loving rulebook that says a dog can't take down a special forces team!")

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Would Trump's Senate trial be public?

We've got exactly two precedents to look back on and only one since broadcast journalism existed.

So first, there's nothing stopping the senate from doing this in a closed session if they really, really want to. They'll have to change a few rules, but that's trivial when they'll have to establish the rules for their trial anyway.

It's a safe bet that it'll be on television. It's too significant of event for republicans not to want to use it for grandstanding. It's just if they wanted to keep people out, they could.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Basically a lot of the alt right have kinda written off trump

Who would have thought it would be hard to control a deranged, narcissistic idiot with absolute power?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

We give Nate a lot of poo poo for his bad punditry but the fact remains that he was closer to "right" last time than almost anyone else, laying out the exact path Trump would need to win. He did say it was unlikely, but he never said it was impossible, so I'm more inclined to trust him when it comes to numbers.

Listen to Nate on numbers and polling, remember that he's talking about probabilities so a 70% chance of a win means a 30% chance of a loss, and tell him to shut the gently caress up whenever he gets into punditry.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also Trump doesn’t believe he’s had any consequences from shutting down the government so he will absolutely do it to try and stop the impeachment.

Not only will I not be shocked if this happens, I have been fully expecting it to happen since they started the proper inquiry. Trump couldn't engage with Congress in a meaningful way when they were covering up his crimes. There's zero chance he doesn't try to use a shutdown as leverage and almost no chance that he doesn't go through with it. And it's iffy on whether he'll back down when the country is about to start burning like what happened last time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Did she then congratulate him?

The people she's talking about Trump hurting are herself and her father.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

This book hasn't even officially come out and I'm already sick and tired of hearing about it.

Why do I get the feeling that this was dropped now as a distraction? IMO anyone "concerned" this much about Trump wouldn't still be drawing a salary working for him. This smacks of a Republican diversionary tactic to me but maybe I'm too paranoid. Either way, we should be ignoring this book, not breathlessly repeating its contents. None of the "bombshells" to come out thus far has been in any way surprising or enlightening.

As a diversion, someone who says they were in the white house claiming Trump is an insane idiot who shouldn't be in office doesn't really help in the face of the House going Trump is an insane, criminal idiot who shouldn't be in office. This is solely a cynical cash-in; somebody whose response to Trump was to make some money off the situation but not actually do anything about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

Are we sure Trump doesn't think he's Pope and that Papal Infallibility applies to him? Or that he heard about it and thinks it applies to POTUS?

Trump thinks he's emperor, not pope. The infallibility thing is just his narcissistic personality disorder.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

This ONE WEIRD TRICK to get rid of Trump.

Seriously. No one in congress is going to want a secret vote and the American public shouldn't want congress to go around having secret votes on things. I wish people would stop calling for one as the way to get rid of Trump.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

canepazzo posted:

"Did that lawyer ever work for me, which would be a conflict?" :psyduck: What the hell does that even mean

Trump has hired over 87% of lawyers in the country. This is because as soon as he hires one he refuses to pay them. And obviously using a lawyer that previously worked for someone and no longer has any ties to them would be a conflict of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

...ok so if I understand right. Gym Jordan's logic is "This crime didn't happen because there was no meeting about it and no announcement"

...because he's stupid.

Do they give Nobel prizes for attempted chemistry?