Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Sorry USPOL Fall took too long, I have been busy with work recently and my sleep schedule is hosed. Here's to another season of insanity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rabble posted:

I mean, I’m not huge into Clancy style spy/espionage but we already know that Trump looks up to Putin as something of a father figure, and that Trump is also dumb enough to fall for obvious conspiracy bullshit.

Trump fanfiction is stupid but this is even dumber.

Trump doesn’t look at Putin like his dad, he’s like the little pathetic hanger on who follows bullies to cheer them on.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

empty whippet box posted:

kinda feel like I'm gonna wake up tomorrow morning and this thread will have 12000 new posts.

This is every day except most of the posts are banal fanfiction or petty squabbling and I just hit last post.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you think that making Trump's life an inescapable hell will reach point that he just says gently caress this and resigns?

No, but it will probably produce funny whiny tweets in the middle of the morning while he watches Fox News.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lol called it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

skylined! posted:

Honestly surprised Paul Manafort is still alive.

Kind of agree with this one tbh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

Reagan was not super bright and yeah he had brain worms, but even near the very end of his life he was way more on top of his poo poo than Trump has ever been in his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HM60M7Kgvs An hour of unscripted interview with Larry King, you can tell he's not sharp but there is just no point in Trump's whole life where he was ever able to just speak like a human being, it's always been this self-interrupting jumble of gibberish

This is objectively untrue, Trump was coherent and basically just a normal racist dumbass as recently as the late '90s/early 2000s, it's extremely night and day obvious if you compare a clip of him from 1999 and 2009 that he went senile sometime in the late 2000s.

Like seriously, Trump was always a dumbass but his brain is mush now because he's old and unhealthy and that's what happens when you are unhealthy and old.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

I've watched a lot of unscripted video of Trump and do not agree. I'm not interested in the TV show performances, I mean the interviews and court appearances and things like that.

I mean don't get me wrong, Trump was always a dumbass, but he wasn't word salad incoherent Fox News uncle rambling dumbass in 1999.

Remember that he was gonna run for President with the Reform Party and disavowed them for being too obviously racist back in 2000 and being involved with David Duke, Trump was if nothing else much more aware of his public image 20-25 years ago than he is today.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

Here he is in 1987. He talks faster but it's the same aggaddaggaddaggadda formless gibberish, and that's with King leading him really carefully through the interview.

I mean I dunno, I just don't agree. I think it's a subjective thing, but in this interview what I see is "a guy who is an idiot but who is coherently stupid," basically the average uninformed culturally conservative person being asked to provide political opinions. Compared to the complete ridiculous bullshit he says now - clearly attempting to convey ideas but unable to string together coherent thought or avoid bringing up extraneous bullshit all the time - this is significantly less bad to me, which makes it merely profoundly irritating instead of insufferable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

Well sure, that's why he was successful in media and now in politics, because he can run that stream of gibberish at high intensity. Try this though, try reading it without the staccato intense talking.

https://factba.se/transcript/donald-trump-interview-larry-king-september-2-1987

quote:

Japan is one of the wealthiest machines ever created. Saudi Arabia -- and it's not -- hey, lemme tell ya, I'm a big beneficiary of Japan. They buy my apartments in spades. They're fine people.

I mean it's the same themes just being presented with nominally more tact and coherency lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh sure, he was never not a racist piece of poo poo.

and he never backed off from this btw even after they were all acquitted

That's what's funny about Trump being senile; he was always racist, but the Donald Trump of 2000 was smart enough to disavow David Duke, while the Donald Trump of today can't be bothered. He thinks he's invincible, or at least should be, and it's as much a function of his wealth and status as it is of his senility lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Inferior Third Season posted:

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Chelsea Manning has been in jail and fined per day for almost a year.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

7c Nickel posted:

In private? Hey everyone, remember that time the UN laughed in Trumps face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoZXoQ0390

Trump cultivating blatant disrespect for American power, the true anti-imperialist president

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The climate and gun strikes prove that the kids are alright :smith:

It’s not like old people are any goddamned help

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well yea the olds have proven themselves to be worthless assholes willing to strip the planet bare and have literal children die/locked up just for that quarterly profit to go up.

I’m siding with the kids.

The olds in my Sierra Club / DSA chapters are cool though. They are old school lefties from the 1960s who can’t believe they still have to keep fighting for the same poo poo they were protesting/fighting for 50 years ago. You can see the exhaustion in their eyes:(

:ssh: all of you are old

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Number go up

I wonder if the GOP can help but react to these polls

Why would Republicans care about polls that don’t show splitting of the Republican base, 2/3rds is about the right amount to reflect people who are and aren’t Republicans overall and Republicans have routinely done deeply unpopular things so long as they still have base support.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh, a big enough wave could see them lose another 20-30 house seats on top of the 40 they lost in 2018 as well as half a dozen senate seats. They'd kind of prefer that not to happen.

Probably on an individual level, but on a structural level Republicans know they have a strategically easier time than their opposition. All Republicans have to do is pull all the wires out of the box and then ride the right wing grift machine when they’re out of office. The next Democratic government will inevitably fail to fix all the damage quickly enough and then Republicans just ride the wave back in. “Starve the Beast” has been an extraordinarily successful long term strategy in tandem with the Southern Strategy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ok this is the funniest thing I've seen this year.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ershalim posted:

The pathology is even deeper than that. Part of the reason there's a push for people to have "get out of gay free card" is because a large subset of the people who are performatively outraged that trans people exist are also trans-chasers. There's a big group of men who have sex with transwomen because they have a specific fetish for women with penises. Which of course, makes them gay. Only it doesn't, because that's impossible. So it's a trap. Which is a crime so the sexy transwoman needs to die! ... ish.

The overlap of cultural baggage, gender, and sexuality is a massive clusterfuck which has a lot of competing (and totally conflicting) theories to explain it. But ultimately it's a case of cognitive dissonance writ large: "I'm someone I can't be because being that would be wrong, therefore it's your fault." It's the cornerstone of most social conservatism. It's why you so commonly see the anti-gay preacher slurpin' D and the anti-trans orator being way more likely to murder a trans person. We don't have adequate mental health care for people who have issues they feel they aren't allowed to express, so poo poo gets warped. See also: Iran with tons of transwomen but no gay men. Social oppression and cultural taboos lead to some wild poo poo. [quick and dirty: sexual oppression can manifest in gender dysphoria through a feeling of being born incorrectly as a response to the fear of ostracization and death -- it happens in fundie circles too, but not as often; Iran's punishment for homosexuality is death, while being trans is legal -- it by no means suggests that all transwomen would have been gay men, but it does feed into social pathology being a big, beautiful mess.]

"People who hate queer people do so because they secretly just want to gently caress queer people" is not actually as prevalent as society would think and I invite you to rethink this particular interpretation of queer politics.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I remember reading a decent article from back in the day about how gowdy found the shitshow of Benghazi incredibly trying. not on moral grounds, on "I take pride in my work and you incompetent jackasses keep loving this up for me" grounds.

if you asked him to imagine hell it would probably look like this case

imagine Trey Gowdy thinking that you are incompetent.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sometimes Nate Silver produces content that's actually funny.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rime posted:

So how many Republican senators do you figure there are who are privately not cool with history recording them as being on the wrong side of a strongarm attempt to end constitutional democracy in America?

Less than a quarter of them, if that. Republicans either don't believe they're in the wrong or view Trump in purely decorum "he is saying the quiet part too loud" terms rather than material ideological disagreement. They believe they will be written down as the heroes in this story.

Sad part is, if popular perceptions of Reagan are anything to go by, they're probably right.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe introduce some legislation to stop it shithead.

I'm quoting this monkey's paw of a post for later when Republicans authorize arms shipments to ISIS or something else equally inane.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

That’s a pretty big mistake you idiot lol.

TulliusCicero posted:

Shouldn't this be the worst possible thing to his base? He has absolutely no balls, just a craven coward

They either wouldn’t believe it or believe it’s a good outcome because lol if you think Trump supporters are concerned about non-white non-Christians halfway round the world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It’s so easy to show corruption from Trump, ahhhhh why is American journalism such poo poo

Don’t answer this question it’s rhetorical

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

1glitch0 posted:

Sorry, no jokes allowed!!! Probation! Comedy is forbidden!

Really, is this the joke you’re going to bat for?

Jerry Seinfeld account spotted.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twice burned ice posted:

This is pretty obviously a joke post and whoever decided to probe for it is real dumb

it's the kind of joke post that is both not very funny and has the potential to mislead uninformed observers about the nature of the issue at hand, and considering our hell country is currently facilitating genocide against the Kurds, I am unamused.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah im sure someone was midway through writing up their mla citation before you bravely let them know a sarcastic joke posted on a comedy forum contained factual inaccuracies

It's ok, almost all of your posts are bad and I still love you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Daily reminder to cancel your subscriptions to WaPo and NYT lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Munkeymon posted:

Counterpoint: if your delicate eyes can't deal with an Insufficiently Leftist ArgumentsHeadlines, don't look at opinion sections.

:hmmyes: this is definitely the problem with NYT and WaPo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I have no words.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The NYT and WaPo have amazing investigative reporters who do good work that are hamstrung by a lovely editorial section and often terrible editorial staff.

With that said, I donate to ProPublica and PBS for their Frontline coverage.

There’s lots of news outlets like this. Mother Jones has that guy who goes into deep cover into the worst places for amazing pieces alongside absolute poo poo garbage. That doesn’t mean we have to or should give them money.

Journalism in America is fundamentally broken if in order to have investigative journalism we also have to give money to Bari Weiss, and it’s we the consumers who are scolded if we refuse.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zwabu posted:

This G7 thing is going to be a big history book entry about the Trump administration. Like Teapot Dome kind of thing. Unless all the schools are Donald Trump the IVth High School and we're all reading from DeVos/Trump textbooks.

People will be slack jawed reading this poo poo. IF we recovered from it in time.

Ok serious post, this isn’t what should be next to Trump’s dumb history book entry, his ethnic cleansing of Latino people and facilitation of genocide in the Middle East should be. The hotel thing is minor bullshit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Isn't that just saying journalism is fundamentally broken? Investigative journalism is funded as an afterthought for the most part, with only a handful of viable dedicated investigative outlets and those generally heavily beholden to their advertisers anyway. It's not like a ultraconsumerist model of only funding individual journalists you like has proven practical.

Journalism is fundamentally broken, yes, that is the point.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

well, when you say american journalism, i presume you have some ideal or at least better way you are contrasting it to.

i mean you seem to be saying that between the choice of the current purveyors and conductors of investigative journalism and nothing you choose nothing, or am i wrong?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I guess my point is, how do we fix it? I mean we need investigative journalists and they need to be paid/funded somehow.

Maybe it’s outside the scope of this thread.

I wouldn’t give money to an institution that employs Bari Weiss or Bret Stephens, but that kind of individual consumerist thing isn’t actually the point. The point is that journalism has always been broken, because capitalism isn’t interested in journalism. It’s interested in tabloids and opinion pieces by the worst dregs of society. Journalism will always be a tertiary consideration under capitalism.

The solution is to kill capitalism.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zwabu posted:

I know that, it's actually one of the less important bad things he's done. But it's easily the most brazen and obvious.

"During investigation leading up to impeachment, Trump awarded his own hotel the annual international meeting of economic leaders."

I mean no it’s objectively not, he’s brazenly putting Latino people into camps. Keep some loving perspective please.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Edit: I am going to gracefully concede this argument while I have the chance because I’m waiting on a surgery.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 19, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lol imagine believing America is good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
In case we forget it amidst all the bullshit petty corruption drama, Trump is responsible for facilitating genocide in Syria and this poo poo too:

https://twitter.com/piperanderson1/status/1185572944136855552?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

isn't that genocide?

I’ve seen people say it falls under whatever official definition of genocide is used by the UN, but I would probably call it organized human trafficking if asked. Whatever it is, it’s monstrous.