Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OAquinas posted:

House Oversight committee: crimes, crimes-

Other dems: crimes, CRIMES

AOC and the rest of dems: CRIMES, CRIMES, CRIMES!

Pelosi: OK, maybe there were some crimes.

Calling my rep (McEachin) to yell IMPEACHMENT *click*. I don't think he has a public stance yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

As if the Trump admin has ever cared about air quality in any capacity beyond deregulating it. Oh your air sucks too much, we'll withhold highway funds until you let cars pollute the air more.

The usual Trump EPA line has been to spuriously conflate air and water quality, in the sense of particulates and smog, with the environment more broadly, specifically to sort of slide climate change and habitat destruction out of the conversation entirely. It's under this framing that Trump has proclaimed himself the best on The Environment (you'll have the best air, the best water), even while doing away with pollution controls at a breakneck pace, because hey, the most visible forms of environmental damage aren't too bad right now! So this is very on brand for Trump and his administration.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Quorum posted:

Calling my rep (McEachin) to yell IMPEACHMENT *click*. I don't think he has a public stance yet.

Update on this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepMcEachin/status/1176527531018805254?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

McEachin is impeachin' :) I hadn't gotten around to calling yet so when I do it'll be a good work call instead.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

He gets to stay president as long as one hand stays on base, the Constitution is very clear

gently caress we didn't say "Simon says leave office and be disqualified from holding and enjoying any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ugh of course aoc would buy some $80 streamer mic and not some $600 professional microphone.

for real though, optimal distance from the yeti is like 1-4 inches and they sound great as long as you're super close.

U.S. Representative whispers in your ear about expropriating Wall Street profits to fund a federal jobs guarantee [ASMR]

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SubG posted:

Congress in general does not, but members of the intel committees have access to TS/SCI materials. The way the intel committees conduct hearings and deliberations are structured to accommodate this.

As I mentioned in the thread earlier today (about a billion posts ago) the real problem is that most members of Congress don't have any staffers who have TS/SCI clearance and there are limited ways in which staffers can obtain clearance, which severely limits the practical ability to conduct oversight.

My understanding is that any Congressional committee with oversight authority over a given field can subpoena, and read, classified information relating to that field, because classification is an executive branch thing that applies to the executive branch, and separation of powers prevents it from applying to members of Congress or federal judges, but practically speaking classified stuff (being mostly stuff relating to the IC) gets handled by the intelligence committees.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

It's very easy to forget in this era of the Imperial Presidency that we've had for the past 40 years or more, but as designed, Congress is supposed to more or less be the highest authority in the land. It is Congress that the national intelligence mechanisms, like any other federal institution, ultimately answer to, not the President.

As if to drive this point home, the Article of the Constitution defining the legislative authority is Article I. The president isn't until Article II.

Unfortunately, exercising real oversight is hard because when bad poo poo happens you have to take some blame for it, so over the decades Congress has passed an enormous amount of its power and authority to the president, and that bird has come home to roost.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

CHEF!!! posted:

Is this accurate? Would it be a yuge breach of diplomatic protocol if we ignored them and publish them anyway? Or is this them trying to keep investigators from Russia_crimes/*.flac ?

Little of both, really. Under normal circumstances heads of state aren't saying things to each other that they desperately want to keep secret though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mahoning posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1178746337074073601

So important distinction from some of the other impeachment polls. 47% of those polled already believe that Trump should be impeached and removed from office. This is with impeachment inquiry barely even under way. There is no way this is sustainable for the GOP to continue to support him in lockstep.

holy poo poo

This helps clarify what percentage of people are on board with impeachment but not necessarily removal yet and what percentage are also already on the removal train. That we're already seeing almost half of Americans already saying just throw the bum out before we've even started hearings alters some calculations significantly.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

eke out posted:

unlike Congress, the State of New York actually has quite a few jails and prisons

Wanna see them convert the Capitol crypt into the Donald J. Trump Memorial Inherent Contempt Detention Center though.

Especially because the statue of noted traitor Robert E. Lee is down there, and we all know how much this administration loves statues of that guy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

What a loving waste of a perfectly good set of human organs (liver aside) this man is. I didn't think I could be more astonished at his utter lack of anything even vaguely resembling a single principle, and yet

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Im starting to think Barr isnt going to leave Europe at this point.

He's going to quietly set himself up a nice little villa somewhere in the Dolomites and get a job consulting for the Lega Nord :italy:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also lol if you think any hair salon is charging AOC full price

They'd better, if they don't it's technically a gift to a federal official and subject to reporting requirements! :eng101:

Shammypants posted:

Military discounts, senior discounts, on and on. What’s the difference?

Discounts that apply to broad classes of people-- even subsets of federal employees-- are fine to take advantage of, it's discounts extended specifically to individual federal employees that are questionable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

their current talking point is because this testimony isn't in front of literally all of congress it's fake, so expect this to be spring-boarded to "WOW WHAT ARE THE DEMS TRYING TO HIDE HUH???"

By and large, Americans are bored by process arguments, and the fact that Republicans are stuck with them this time around is extremely good. To most people the details of how stuff happens don't matter and being on the side that has to explain how things are supposed to happen is unenviable. Historically it's been the Dems in that spot.

Incidentally, this is also why there would be next to no blowback from doing important process things like abolishing the filibuster, just as there was none from previous filibuster rollbacks. Only the most insufferable politics nerds like us give a poo poo.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

We shouldn't be surprised if the Republicans start to do this for any proceeding they disagree with. Just storm the room and bring it to a permanent halt.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1187052920287698944

Honestly, after today I really think there's a nonzero chance we have a caning of Sumner moment in Congress before the end of next year. I still don't think it's likely, but more because the HFC are all weenies than because our institutions aren't collapsing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

so how's Mulvaney doing on that

He checks the president's self destructive impulses every day, just to make sure they're still there and working properly.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

skylined! posted:

Not going to get a single R vote to even hold the official vote. Doesn't bode well for any defectors.

Kinda what I think we all figured would happen, but all the bluster from some republican reps maybe pulling away has turned out to mean nothing, yet.

edit but two dem nays

That's not super surprising, there are barely any "moderate" Republicans left in the House after 2018, between midterm losses to Democrats and retirements. The Senate Republican caucus has always had slightly more squishiness because they've got vulnerable Senators who are up next year or in 2022 to defend.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 31, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

why is he describing goons on his Twitter

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

I know it's a dumb thing. It just really annoys me. Like when the president has to pardon a turkey or give kids candy for Halloween, I know it doesn't matter, but it still annoys me. Or that dumb correspondents dinner which is despicable, but Trump doesn't do for all the wrong reasons. Like, everything is loving burning and the president is doing this poo poo? I've credit for Trump for not doing these things except he does them in hilarious terrible ways or out of spite.

Honestly it's mostly a consequence of the US's weird-rear end commingling of the roles of head of state and head of government. In most nations there's a Prime Minister to do important governing things and put out fires, and a monarch or President to shake hands and do ceremonial cutesy stuff. Having the same person do both jobs is responsible for a lot of issues and one of them is the sort of dissonance you're describing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

LOL, this guy's pretending to be a Democrat. He's already lost.

That's pretty par for the course in some of the competitive Virginia suburban districts this year. One Senate district near me has a Republican state senator who has branded her entire campaign in green, run on her (totally made up) record of protecting health care access, and pretended she doesn't even know the word "Republican." They're scared.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

I personally am somewhat pessimistic and think we only manage to take the House (because it got un-gerrymandered) and fall short in the Senate because both Dem and GOP voters turn out.

If that scenario happens I think the Dems are still slightly favored to take the Senate thanks to suburban demographic shift. It'll look like the 2018 House races. I've got my eye on the Sturtevant vs. Hashmi matchup in the Richmond suburbs, personally; that district has been really close in all of the last several elections and Sturtevant isn't doing the "pretend to be a Democrat and hope the suburban white college graduate women don't notice" thing, so it's a direct base turnout contest.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

:ohdear:

This race tipping the right way would be one of my personal touchstones for A Good Night, surpassed only by losing none of our new good Dems and taking the Senate.

Incidentally, anyone who wants to TV/IV results of tonight's races, consider the State and Local thread as well as this one, it's full of knowledgeable locals and lots of nervous posting energy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Democrats appear to have taken the Virginia State Senate

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/1191882607237185536

:toot::toot::toot::toot:

The House is looking much closer, though, and with those races a single precinct dropping can change the calculus, so I'll be biting my nails for a while.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Haschel Cedricson posted:

What's with the write-in candidate leading in VA-30? I assume they are garbage since their opponent is a Democrat.

EDIT: It turns out the thing that is with them is an error on the vpap website; they are indeed Republican.

It's not an error. He's a Republican who forgot to turn in his homework and therefore wasn't allowed to be placed on the ballot as a Republican. We were hoping the effort of running a write in campaign would sink him, but alas.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, no one alive remembers when Congress wasn't old as dirt

Average age has gone up by about 5 years since 2000 as boomers struggle to keep their greasy hands in the cookie jar. On the other hand, the relative age of congress vs everyone else has actually been declining as we overflow with aging boomers!

It really is interesting that you can see (a) the dawn of increasing lifespans and more active twilight years thanks to modern medicine and sanitation following the Civil War and (b) the March of the Boomers beginning with Reagan or so. Plus the dip in the House age during Clinton, though I wonder if that's associated with the Republicans knocking off a bunch of old Blue Dog incumbents in the South.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Otteration posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/11/16/like-chasing-shadows-uncovering-colonial-williamsburgs-lgbtq-history/
washingtonpost.com/November 16, 2019
"Other historical sites have faced backlash recently for grappling with topics some visitors see as polarizing. At Monticello, Mount Vernon and other plantations, they have complained about staff efforts to speak more honestly about slavery."

Dear Disgruntled White Plantation Visitors, Sit Down.
afroculinaria.com/August 9, 2019
"Dear Disgruntled White Plantation Visitors,"
"My personal favorite was when I spilled some of the contents of a heavy pot of water as the light was dying and you all laughed and one of you said…and I could hear you…”This boy doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“Boy.”

I was exhausted. I had been cooking over an open hearth for 7 hours. One enslaved cook in Martinique was thrown alive into an oven for burning a cake. How do we know? His mistress calmly showed his charred remains to her guest after the meal. Spilling or burning food could have meant my rear end."

I've spent most of my professional career in the public history field in Virginia and every time I see a story like these I am filled with vindictive glee, because it means the people I really respect in the field got through to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Trump confirmed as a Buddha, his nonsensical actions an attempt to reveal reality for the illusion that it is and help others also achieve the elimination of desire