Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

This is a recurring theme and its super creepy and gross and I am not sure if they are all pervs or are just too stupid to realize how creepy they sound.

Although I remember the super weird fetishy poo poo that came out with Hogg so I guess they might just be closet pedophiles.

they're trying to minimize her words as coming from someone who is more of a child than a teenager, also they are authoritarians and if they can physically batter someone who says or does something they don't like then they will advocate for that. this is one of the reasons folks still hold firm on spanking, because it's one of the few times you're allowed to hit someone repeatedly and not everyone thinks you're a monster for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the point of technically being able to remove presidents if nobody bothers to try until their term is almost up anyways no matter how egregious the crimes

politicans are supposed to care about the good of the country more than party politics and their own careers. obviously this is a bad and unworkable assumption but that's how it is intended to go

even if trump doesn't get removed from office there is still some merit in him being damaged by impeachment stuff going into an election

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

No Safe Word posted:

I doubt it given you've already resorted to "wow what emotion" and whataboutism instead of like, reading the transcripts and all of the analyses saying "hmm this is actually quite bad"

"wow, what an echo chamber in here, i'd appreciate a little diversity of thought and less emotion" i say to myself as i am banned from the starbucks for making GBS threads on the floor

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if the republican base is starting to sour on trump it's because of angry ranting like this. one of his big weaknesses is that he sounds like a crazy rear end in a top hat. if you're tuned in to politics and reading his twitter feed it's obvious, but if you're not paying active attention and don't spend all day On-Line then it's easier to rationalize or dismiss how nuts trump is. putting tantrum video on the news puts his bad behavior front and center and it reminds squishy republicans of the obvious, that the president is deranged

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ewiley posted:

Trump was caught on tape in his own words saying he would grab women by the genitals and won election just a few months later. I mean, that was a different time, but don't think his re-election campaign won't work like hell and collude with R leadership and Fox news to spin the gently caress out of it with nicely written talking points. The Fox/R leadership was caught off guard by Trump's sudden release of the call memo and the release of the whistleblower report, but by Monday they'll have all coordinated and messaged this to hell and the Dems will need to respond in some way that's not "hey CNN here's the bothsides report you were looking for!"

who outside of the trump campaign wants trump as president for another term? fox was making hay out of trump as a ratings generator to oppose the hated hillary clinton. republicans were similarly expecting trump to lose and holding him up as a spoiler when he improbably won the primary. the trump presidency has been a horror show, they don't even have the excuse of "at least he's good for business" because he's constantly pointing a loaded pistol at the economy. the republicans will put up a token show of support for their boy because it's bad form to just walk away from an election entirely but how much enthusiasm can there really be for president wet brains after everything that happened between 2017 and 2020?

both fox and the gop need a rebuilding term where they can go back to the status quo of being an obstructionist party, without having to try to voice that position while also kowtowing to a cranky fascist wannabe

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rabble posted:

My favorite part of this bullshit is that under the clothes line item it says "(Old Navy not Gucci)" as if somehow burning through almost a quarter million in post-tax dollars is a huge sacrifice because they're shopping at Old Navy.

many questions about how someone manages to spend $400 a month at old navy and considers that a necessity, not a luxury

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

why not enroll them in, you know, a public school

they're talking about preschool, aka daycare, for which there is no typical public option in the united states

my kid goes to preschool for free paid for by lottery money but that's a state thing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, what? public pre-school doesn't exist? :psyduck:

not in the united states, no

most states provide some funding for pre-k, which is for 4 year old children typically. fewer states do anything for younger children or infants

there are only three states which provide universal pre-k, try to guess which ones and be shocked. also some cities (like NYC and DC) offer free or reduced cost pre-k

georgia

oklahoma

florida

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

huh. well blow me down

i always figured the reason people avoided putting their kids in pre-school was because they felt they wouldn't be ready for it

every parent would absolutely love to have their kid in a good preschool, not only is it enrichment for the child but it's daily childcare as well

the big obstacle is affordability. childcare is one of those things where people will give up working to be a stay at home parent if it makes financial sense, because you need to make at least $40k yourself as a parent for it to be a sound idea. and there are plenty of folks who have no choice at all and pay for the shadiest barely licensed in-home daycares they can afford

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also at the sad as hell intersection of working poverty and childcare - 24 hour drop in daycare centers

https://psmag.com/economics/rise-extreme-daycare-working-24-hour-children-school-93860

Trabisnikof posted:

Georgia's is limited by the total number of available Pre-Ks:

yeah, it's a subsidy paid to a private care center. so if you live in a place with a lot of daycares already, great! if you live way out in the sticks, sucks to be you!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the fun part about this tweet is that initiating a bunch of global chaos with a capricious and unpredictable trade policy makes the dollar stronger as investors park their money into safe US government bonds rather than speculating on economic growth

trump is doing more to make strong dollar than anything the fed can do to counterbalance his whipsaw economic whims

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

The cig industry has never not had a year of explosive growth in the last 80 years so, uh. Don't know where you think you're getting they were ever being strangled.

And cite your sources for the massive rise of nicotine addicted in the youth due to vape flavours

the CDC has been saying it over and over

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/Quick-Facts-on-the-Risks-of-E-cigarettes-for-Kids-Teens-and-Young-Adults.html

flavored cigarettes were a strategy tobacco companies used to appeal to youth smokers decades ago

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/tobaccocontrol/11/suppl_1/i5.full.pdf

ThanosWasRight posted:

You have to live in Koo-Koo land you think that Vaping - small or big - isn't about getting people hooked on a addictive substance.

How many vaping stores are there on each corner in a average city? In the poorest communities?

it's about artisinal, small-batch, mom and pop nicotine peddlers. we must respect the roots of the small town tobacconist, the innovative vape developer, the man who stands up to Big Tobacco and says "no! no more! i will injest the highly addictive substance in my own terms, on my own means, using the precursors your firms grow and harvest and greenwashing them as a grassroots movement by addicts, for addicts!"

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not like they were gonna ban vaping itself, just like they haven't banned cigs. They're only banning the bits that make the side competitors viable.

flavored cigarettes were mostly banned in 2009. any ban on flavored vape juice would be bringing vapes up to the same regulatory standards that currently exist for cigarettes

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 1, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mummy Xzibit posted:

PMI is a good leading indicator, right?

under some circumstances, but right now a drop in PMI is just telling us what we already know - the trade war is disrupting industry because it's making GBS threads all over global supply chains

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

This thread is obsessed with the sergeant at arms for some reason.

people are deeply hungry for immediate justice against the criminal administration

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what the argument is with cops. Are they going to be fighting other cops? Staging a coup? What happens when they leave the front lines at the end of their shift because they don't get overtime for doing it?

anti-government milita types, who are well known for working in unison with cops and other government agents without problems,

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a federal judge just blocked the georgia abortion ban from going into effect while a court challenge is pending

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dammerung posted:

This sounds like great news! Is it? I'm worried whenever I get my hopes up.

it's not great news, the law was not yet struck down, but it was going to become law on jan 1 and that's been delayed until the court challenge is resolved. so that's pretty good

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

What if Pompeo/ Trump actively sold out Ukraine to the Russians? Holy poo poo

nah, the war has been in a quiet stalemate for a while now and the new president of ukraine, zelensky, had said before he was elected he would try to end the war by negotiating with russia. this probably isn't the exact outcome he wanted but it's clear now that russia's proxies control the area and nobody can help ukraine do anything about it, putin basically won

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Ukraine reeling from Russian attacks, reliant on NATO/US aid, US president starts making insane demands and witholding aid and supplies, SecState acting as an intermediary and suggesting a "peace" plan that ends the nightmare via "mutual" capitulation and elections. Russia gets what it wants and no more military hardware tied up/operational expenses.

Just spitballing. I'm sure that's divorced from reality.

the war has been real quiet for the last couple years. there are still soldiers in the trenches being shot and dying, there are still rockets and bombs, but at a very slow rate with most days seeing no shooting because of persistent if not always observed cease fires. while the war is technically still active there isn't much war happening

here's an example, a ceasefire implemented in the middle of july lasted more than two weeks with no shots fired

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1UW15D

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BlackIronHeart posted:

Alright, this is actually scary.

this kind of poo poo isn't going to help him because it makes him look like an obvious loon to people who did not yet realize it, and trump doesn't have nearly the amount of support as he thinks he does. his personality disorder plain old prevents him from accurately understanding how popular he really is

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"as a homeowner, "

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

“as a parent,”

this could just as easily be a story about poop, or awful politics

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Slowpoke! posted:

Is this climate change or like, broken pipes?

climate change

miami has always been prone to flooding. it is built between the ocean and a swamp. it is a very wet city. a lot of the coastal southeast is like this, but miami especially didn't really exist a hundred years ago. it's not on high ground like new orleans or charleston, it is carved out of an actual dismal swamp by sheer 20th century magic

because of rising sea levels, miami now experiences regular, predictable flooding from natural tides. the actual storm drains fill with seawater and back up on to the streets. there is nothing anyone can do about it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

https://prospect.org/environment/sinking-feeling-politics-sea-level-rise-miami-s-building-boom/

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
right now is high tide season in miami, there's like news bulletins about it and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU4sGuOIFW4

Paradoxish posted:

Miami fascinates me because basically everyone acknowledges that this is happening, yet the city is still pumping money into poo poo that's going to be underwater in less than twenty years. This is happening in Boston too. It's loving mind boggling.

there's not much they can do. the city isn't going to say "ok, everyone get out now," they have to keep performing CPR until it's obviously on a corpse

as long as taxpayers want to keep spending money on flood mitigation, and voting for a government to perform this act, it will keep happening

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Not than I am a pompeo fan, but he went to Harvard Law and was first in his class at West Point. By those metrics, he should be smarter than he is acting.

"smart" people aren't immune to dumb behavior. smart is something you do, not something you are. being an ivy league graduate or doing well in school doesn't necessarily make you smart. and most importantly, "smart" people are just as prone to falling for scams or getting wrapped up in idiot schemes, except it's harder to pull a "smart" person out of this nonsense if they think they can clever their way out of the situation, or continue to explain their own behavior to themselves

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think Turkey is way more invested than the US and just very successfully called America's bluff.

they didn't call america's bluff, the president just completely submitted on the issue for mysterious yet terrible reasons

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because anyone who would be willing to fight a war in Turkey over Syria is a bloodthirsty idiot.

you've got it the wrong way around. it's not about who is willing to fight turkey, it's about if turkey is willing to shoot at american soldiers

they are not

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Everyone on Earth knew the Dumbass in Chief wasn't going to start a war over Kurds. Turkey pushed, he caved immediately.

he caved by removing troops from the area, because their presence in the area is what was preventing turkey from attacking the kurds in syria

the tripwire is an effective deterrent, because turkey asked trump to remove the tripwire and he did. you are focused on the wrong things

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Unoriginal Name posted:

Remember that guy that got abandoned and dismembered in Libya and Trump told his wife that he knew what he was getting into?

Tripwire force, lmao

that wasn't a tripwire

it seems the problem with folks not getting trump's actions here don't really understand what a tripwire is, how it works, or what happens when the president decides to just withdraw troops at random without consulting anyone else in congress or the military

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Unoriginal Name posted:

what if the president doesn't really understand what a tripwire is, how it works, or hasnt received proper tribute to his personal coffers from whatever ally just got invaded

he doesn't, but just because the president doesn't understand what is going on is not an excuse for people to have ideas as uninformed as trump's itt

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

Which economy has he "totally destroyed and obliterated before"?

atlantic city, nj

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

What did Erdogan promise Trump?

this is the mystery. what did they talk about that would cause trump to instigate a fuckup of such magnitude? or is trump just in a mood and there's no more even semi-competent people around him to check his behavior?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Or Turkey told him they were gonna do it regardless and he decided loving off would be less unpopular than flag draped caskets.

turkey, a NATO member, is not going to unilaterally threaten soldiers of the united states, the keystone NATO member

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well they kept saying they were going to invade Northern Syria, and were openly preparing to invade Northern Syria, and then called President Mushbrains, who is now tweeting orders to pull out of Northern Syria.

Could be some hella 5D chess, but it sure looks like they told him they were gonna invade Northern Syria.

you don't have to express your befuddlement in terms of "trump 5d chess master"

if erdogan did indeed pressure trump to pull back troops, he did so via persuasion or some kind of bribe rather than via threat

of course, it is just as likely that trump made this decision all on his own like a big boy and world leaders and politicians are scrambling to make sense of his whimsical rulership

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He probably just told Trump he was going to invade and to keep Americans away from the poo poo that was going to explode.

this is a wildly risky move on erdogan's part and makes no sense at all given how obviously trump can be manipulated into doing just whatever

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Consider the Oath Keepers group, a far-right armed militia. Calling on its 24,000 Twitter followers

wow thats a lot of followers

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all those white nationalist militias who were pretty chill and non-violent, until mean old trump came along. drat him!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

what is this based on?

stuff like this

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/11/military-officers-trump/598360/

people who rise to the highest ranks of the military tend to be fairly conservative in outlook and sensitive to the status quo, because wild risk taking gets people killed in a very direct way. this is true for senior bureaucratic leadership in general, but the stakes are higher when you're trying to keep america's weird empire intact without getting your people killed by some impulsive politician who clearly disregards basic knowledge or empathy. i'm not saying the military would prefer not to fight, but it's much, much easier to fight effectively when your boss isn't changing his mind based on what he just saw on television in the last six hours

nobody out there likes having a boss who rules on a whim and can gently caress up your entire day by dumping loads of work on you without consideration to your goals or needs. if you've ever had a boss who wants you to stay late or threatens your job if you don't come in to cover a shift on a friday night with a few hours notice, now imagine this same person is asking you to figure out a way to move billions in hardware and put tens of thousands of your young people's lives at risk for similarly inane and ill considered reasons

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey could we not do a left wing turner diaries cosplay? Cool cool.

late night thread is all about the power fantasies and defensive posting of same

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

A little good news in hell world, Jimmy Carter is back to work even after his fall:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1181213645503680513

drat, even ol jimmy can't retire

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just lmao if you don't write it as 100$00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ershalim posted:

A lot of it is cherry-picked, like, "women in homosexual marriages suffer even more income disparity than straight women because their combined income is less than it is in traditional marriage"

i appreciate the strong argument here that all men should raise children within committed, loving homosexual relationships because of their superior household income