Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mistaya posted:

I honestly think it's sticking because literally everyone knows what a mob shakedown sounds like. It's not some difficult to understand need to read multiple pages report about obstruction of justice something something maybe Russia did help Trump but it's not like you can prove that Trump colluded...

Here we have:
1. Trump himself
2. Talking to another world leader directly
3. Telling him to investigate a political rival
4. Or else

It's cut and loving dry and the fact that the foreign aid was withheld and then extra was added is just... okay there's the material payment proving this wasn't just a "Haha funny joke Mr President!"

I think this is it. The offense is as simple and easy to understand as you could ever hope for. You can fully and accurately describe what happened in one sentence, and what happened was on its face (to anybody who isn't already a Trumpist) hugely immoral and, perhaps even worse, cheating.

e: also makes him look weak, and incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Otteration posted:

Ratings are hell of a drug.

Rudy legit has brain damage. He had a really bad fall and head injury while drunk a couple of years ago. He's always been a shitstain but he's become quite unhinged since then.

And nobody will do anything about it, just like nobody will acknowledge Trump's growing dementia.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

pthighs posted:

As a cleric the Sergeant-at-Arms is forbidden from using edged weapons.

Clerics of the Tetragrammaton are more than capable of using edged weapons. Check and mate.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lock her up.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

This is a different IG, but this kind of poo poo is why IGs exist. They're supposed to be neutral, apolitical arbiters in these agencies to handle the bureaucracy. Its also why I think 9 different cabinet agencies still have vacancies at the IG position

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1179152425900498944
Also, Trump had a literal Dr Evil moment, trying to get prices on snakes and alligators to put in The Moat, which seems like it will be part of his reelection pitch

Eerily close to the all time Freeper classic idea of a 10 mile wide trench along the border stacked with old car tires 30 feet high, filled with water for mosquitoes to breed in and poisonous snakes. Then set on fire, to burn eternal.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

It is very good to see that there is some institutional fight left. Be brave, career bureaucrats.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It checks out. If i'm a drug dealer who traffic in pounds of weed I absolutely jump at the chance to be the key witness in any trial I can find. Put me in that loving courtroom and sit me down for interviews with cops!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just got to great clips and get a $16 haircut...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ague Proof posted:

While reading up on how the Wisconsin GOP are antidemocratic shitheads using dirty tricks to screw their state and take power from their Democratic governor, I learned that he still has (as far as I can tell) the most powerful veto in the US. An extreme form of the one-line veto called the Frankenstein veto allows the governor to delete words, sentences, and digits in spending bills to completely change their meaning. It's the FTFY veto.

Line-item vetos are an absolute abomination (Alaska's trump loving chud governor has been using his to great effect to ruin the state) but it is very fun to see the tables turned on those soulless ghouls.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

IIRC generally campaigns buy the rights to huge chunks of music via the megacorps that own them, so the artists don't have much more they can do but say "eat poo poo and die".

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:lol: I hope this guy has kids and I hope he lives a long life.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kale posted:

I dont get why people are just able to say "this means this now" and people just kind of go along with it. It really does feel like a lot of things are just defined now by social media and how many retweets or likes by influencers it gets. If enough people just retweet something and its deemed to hit meme status it just seems to mean that new thing now cause thats the context people see it in. Not sure that applies to this particular case but that almost seems like how it works in a lot of cases.

I don't like it, but it is real and it is something that happens. If I see someone with rune tattoos my first thought will always and forever be "white supremacist". The OK sign, man, I know it basically just happened like a year or two ago but already its been poisoned. You can't take it back, as ridiculous as it is.

It's a weird world that doesn't make sense, but there's no rule that it has to I suppose.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trump does this dumb poo poo like every 3 months and it's the same thing every time!

Hail the supremacy of the unfettered free market! Never gets it wrong!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183232552464719873

It's still cool to rent out the military to Saudi Arabia which is in the...... middle east

Blood of the Kurds on this piece of poo poo's hands. Burn in hell.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I didn't delete my Facebook profile, but a year and a half ago I deleted the app from my phone, closed the always open tab, and stopped using it except only on the occasion it was needed for organizing something. It has been hugely beneficial to mental health and I don't miss anything about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Looking back at the last decade or so you can really clearly see how the post-war international order died with a whimper. Aggressive, unilateral action is going to be the international norm for the rest of our lives, I suspect. Hugely exacerbated by climate change resource crises.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
John Bolton has more integrity (not much) than the yahoos running this White House, what a god drat time to be alive.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Slowpoke! posted:

It is important for certain industries but they could do a lot better at protecting our information.

But without it you would blow a couple useful industries up until they figure out an alternative. Like no more subsidized iPhones on two year contracts, for example, because there is no way to verify if someone can be trusted to pay off that $1000 piece of hardware.

Most of the problems with the credit industry have nothing to do with scoring companies like Equifax, to be honest. They are a convenient piñata but they are not the real problem.

The real problem is that wealth is so utterly skewed that people don't have the ability to buy a nice phone in a single transaction to begin with. Credit is a lovely rotten band-aid attempting to cover the festering wound of astounding wealth inequality.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

goons showing their tech privilage by not thinking sub 200$ phones are "real" phones lol.

(well not really because inequality is probably so bad that even 100ish$ items are probably put on credits and stuff. BTW Flip phones still exist and again you should do you banking with credit unions)

My phone is a $200 phone because it's all I can afford.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Why would a Hindu Nationalist be an ardent Assad supporter though? I don't get the connection.

I can't imagine why Russia would have an interest in signal boosting the most prominent American Assad supporter. It doesn't make any sense! Hillary! :argh:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

VH4Ever posted:

What's been weird for me is the Tulsi blind spot exhibited to this day by Bernie fans just because she endorsed him in 2016. So what? I don't have to like her too just because I like him.

Said it before but anti-foreverwar is good but ideally the candidate has at least one other good policy besides that if they want to be president.

I have definitely noticed today that the people most loudly outraged about Tulsi are the same who most loudly shout down anybody who isn't Bernie or Bust. It's really weird. Tulsi sucks, Hillary sucks. They can both be awful and poo poo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
He's supposed to really hate it when people call him Donald.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How are you going to organize and sustain a national-scale general strike in the United States, a nation of 300+ million people that spans 3,000 miles, PJ?

Not even taking into account the fact that whatever huge % of Americans can't even afford a surprise $400 bill.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

So bold and brave behind their closed doors, off the record.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

Are they saying that minimum wage keeps black youth from being hired? Because they're not worth it? :stonk:

I took it as something like "young black americans aren't worth anything but to work minimum wage jobs" or something to that effect. gently caress TP USA and Charlie Kirk's lovely malformed head.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only people reading this thread who are going to "retire" on 401ks or whatever stock market nonsense are those who are already in their 50s. If you think there's going to be a stable global financial system in 30 years you should adjust that expectation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

beejay posted:

I'd be interested in reading about this.

Come to the climate threads.

e: the tldr is that if we want to have a future with human civilization that looks anything like what we have now, then we have 10-15 years to reshape our global economic systems in such a profound way that the entire foundation upon which that system lies (growth, forever and always) must disappear. You can see how that will slightly effect markets as we know them.

That's the challenge, and one of two things happens:

1) we meet the challenge and enter a new era of civilization based wholly on sustainability and a more communal society because we have to by necessity of the changed world we will live in,

or

2) we don't, we go full steam ahead, things get much much worse and we end up with billions dead, billions more displaced as climate refugees, nations unable to feed themselves much less others due to extreme weather, running out of water everywhere, etc etc.

In either scenario there's no room for a stable, global financial system like we have known for the last 50+ years. Simply cannot exist as it has, so do not put your eggs in that basket.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 28, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

That is loving abhorrent.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

Then why did she do it?

Because she thinks its more advantageous to do it than to not do it at this point. But clearly you, dead forums poster HootTheOwl, know better.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

What is that advantage?

quote:

evilweasel posted:
because now that a court definitively ruled that the trump administration's arguments are 100% bullshit she can saw the only limb that any senate republican would manage to go out on behind them from a position of strength

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

Is that the point? To just test which republicans are willing to break?

There's a huge difference in public sentiment (born out by polling) on this whole thing compared to a month ago. There's going to be far more pressure on many House Rs on this public vote. Yeah, its a move that takes away a Republican talking point and also makes them squirm. It's fine. There's not advantage to give away.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

The advantage was that the courts said how you were proceeding was fine.
Now you've made that advantageous court ruling irrelevant. Or as I put it: Gave away.

What was the advantage? Just to say "nuh uh, what we're doing is legal!"

I'd rather have Republican House members have to put their names on a vote after a month of huge increases in public support for the impeachment inquiry.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

Having the vote isn't some horrible blunder that will cost everything but it's really loving dumb to validate right wing whining when you had no reason to, and continue the noble tradition of Dems agreeing to whatever under the banner of 'decorum' and 'norms' while the the Republicans wipe their rear end with that stuff because why would they not

e: dropping it.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 28, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

nah they'll just shift from 'OH SO EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS VOTE WAS FAKE AND DIDN'T COUNT SO YOU CAN'T USE THEM' or some other stupid dogbrain idea

They can make whatever argument they want. Until the polls start showing support for this inquiry decreasing it doesn't matter what they scream into the chud-o-sphere.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

VH4Ever posted:

Wasn't there some amount of pro-Bernie voters that went Trump in 2016? One wonders if this is just them again?

There's a whole category of voters now called "Obama-Trump Voters". Will they stick with Trump the next go around? We don't know. Of course there were Bernie-Trump voters, but I don't know of any numbers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

VH4Ever posted:

FWIW I remember it being a pretty small number.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. It seems most people like Bernie for his left economics, but there's certainly a small percentage of anti-establishment reactionaries who would back Trump over KKKlinton.

e: a small number of people who backed Bernie definitely moved to vote for Trump, I'm sorry if it makes you feel bad but it is a fact. vvvvvv

How are u fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 28, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

I was a shithead who like GW in HS my dude, and thought climate change was fake. I was an awful person politically.

People can change

I voted for W as my very first vote in 2004, and I was smug as heck about how sad people were on my liberal college campus the next day because I was an idiot who knew nothing about anything.

People can indeed change a lot.

that's a super good post vvvv

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 29, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Obama was as good as we could possibly get st the time. Don't beat yourself up over it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

This isn't really directed at you, but it will never not be frustrating how much poo poo I've taken over the last 20+ years from people who are always so sure they know what's best and they turn out wrong over and over again. Kudos for admitting it. But I'd like to convey there is a lot of bitterness with people who have been saying "No, don't do that!" to people who were so sure they were right and then want to gloss over how wrong they've been. Especially when the narrative becomes "Well, EVERYONE fell for it, no one knew!" A lot of people knew. We were just mocked and called idiots. Whether it was that Bush would be a bad president, or that Gore shouldn't have tapped out for the "good of the country, or the Iraq invasion was a terrible idea, or Obama was a fraud, and now with climate change, and a thousand other things.

This is a weird post.

"I've been right about everything, its very hard for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

no, but it does humanize him more than he deserves

I swear to god that Zuckerberg has the most soulless loving eyes. There's no humanity in there.