Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

VideoGames posted:

I wish I could form a sentence adequately expressing the conflicted emotions I feel about this.

LMAOuch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

XMNN posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LGBTCons/status/1179138916676505601

im having a great time down here at the empty club in my smart outdoor coat :what:

e: watched it agaiN on a bigger screen and she’s actually outside, but she doesnt look or sound any more enthusiastic

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Welcome to old nationalised boots world Winston.

Leadership popularity is such an ethereal and changeable quality it's just not important unless it's directly tied to a definite criticism because otherwise it's just received wisdom from the media at best and can be swept away with good campaigning locally if it suddenly becomes necessary like at an election.

So yeah if someone is super Remain and dislikes Corbyn specifically because of that then that's probably a geniune dislike, otherwise eh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

All of Corbyns critics slur him because of his positions- any talk of replacements will have the same treatment unless they have different positions.

That's literally the end of the discussion unless you personally have a problem with a position Corbyn has taken. It's also how you change people's minds by winning them over on the issue and then letting their attachment to the issue override the abstract notion of Corbyn Bad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

The Royal Navy is all about tradition.

(i almost am)

Where's the rum?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Solidarity with all the XR lot who are going to get their heads kicked in next week though.

I feel the next week is going to really cause a shift in the organisation because they're already understanding that they need to focus their actions and next they're going to learn the police can never be trusted.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

What are they doing next week?

Attempting a 2 week occupation of London targeting government infrastructure. Police are expected to roll into them hard and the weather will be much shitter than earlier in the year so this will be really tough.

The 12th is proposed as a trade union action day if anyone is getting involved at that level.

Overminty posted:

Do they still have that XR landlords group on facebook?

I thought that specific pic was a fake? Regardless their closeness to all the lovely elements of capitalism are well known.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

Someone update the Boris majority graph

Moris Bajority

LMAO 3am tech support.

That's actually more believable if he was ALSO sleeping with her.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Last month of the quarter announcement on the 10th and quarterly announcement on the 30th from ONS.

Lol this is going to be amazing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah Khan has been a very New Labour mayor so is poo poo but Rory the Not Tory and a Tory running probably mean the right wing will desert Khan but split.

Hopefully the obvious draw of the whole left wing vote would draw Khan to them and be less poo poo.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

why do the press act like rory stewart is some big centrist and not right wing as gently caress?

Because he says bad things about Brexit, obviously that means he reads the guardian!

vvv lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Chris Morris extremely good. Find the 15 minute interview, watch all of it, destroy the PREVENT program and implement full communism.

Please.

Or I will.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Other than the use of far-right talking points? Like I say, literally the only people bringing religion and race into the Rotherham case are Tommy Robinson and his band of merry fuckwits.

Nah there's some tankies (as in proper Stalinist ML Party members) who go in on "clearly this is primarily an element of class struggle but to unite with those members of the working class outraged by this we've got to start by addressing all the Muslims going around raping kids"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Walks like a nazi, talks like a nazi, it's a loving nazi.

Eh chauvinist nationalist-minded authoritarians exist in a lot of non fascist varieties. Sometimes it's worth maintaining the distinction.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What for? What are we hoping to gain by "Well actually.."-ing to defend people who agree with the fash on all of their headline issues?

Because while they hold similar attitudes to each other they present and conceive of themselves under totally different concepts and languages so blurring it all together just makes a mess of any attempts to criticise them directly or explain/warn others about them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay but the point wasn't to treat either of them well it was to treat them differently.

As a counterpoint my support for the headline "open borders" means I agree with some stripes of uber libertarians and capitalists, doesn't make us the same or get the same reaction.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dabir posted:

There's something that comes up in here from time to time, some philosopher or old politician talking about how it's fine for the poor to spend a bit on luxuries because it's how they deal with how much being poor sucks. Who was that? Anyone have a link to it?

Its George Orwell, Road to Wigan Pier

“The miner’s family spend only ten pence a week on green vegetables and ten pence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The half-crown spent on meat mightrepresent a small joint and the materials for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes – an appalling diet. Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to theNew Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t. […] When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll have a nice cup of tea. That is how your mind works when you are at the PAC level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread”

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

what did the conservatives actually stand for before thatcher turned them into extreme neolibs?

Ground rent, small shopkeepers and nationalism primarily, obviously there was tension between them which allowed all kinds of allowances to the poor to allow them to serve the nation better and the post war consensus.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

What part of "david cameron called it for political purposes and didn't think he would lose it, and everyone else has been trying to use it to win elections since then" do you not get? It doesn't need a purpose, it doesn't need a benefit for the people, what insane idea are you operating under where you believe politics has to benefit people?

loving yanks man, jesus.

People need grand narratives to define themselves within and if it ain't class analysis it takes you strange places

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

With that and their aforementioned lack of adaptation, their leadership structure must be absolute dogshit, sending people to get arrested while the leaders sit safe and happy.

That's the weird thing - Hallam has gotten arrested over the failed drone blockade. He at least is principled enough to stick to his terrible rules and the organisation is structured around agreeing with the basic rules of XR so the only possibility of change is people who were supporters of the approach seeing the reality and changing their view without leaving XR.

I can't say how that will work out in the future but XR will start developing internal fractions and spin offs as a result of the next two weeks.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

justcola posted:

I had a disagreement with my partner over the weekend about XR as there was a pamphlet saying take 2 weeks off work. I was arguing that XR didn't go far enough, were too cooperative with authority and weren't doing much - her counterpoint was that I wasn't doing anything and at least XR were good because you could see someone was doing something. Though to me, that's the rub - the appearance that someone is doing something that has little impact and everyone can slap each other on the back at a job half done.

True praxis is posting on the internet, sitting atop a throne of skulls, atop a river of blood, optical nerves grafted onto VGA cables, fingers split across a word orb to pull sigils from the grave dimension.

Yeah basically it's why many of them are so blasè about being arrested. They think they're just making a statement that the authorities will understand and they can basically walk it off.

The actual experience of being bashed, kettled and imprisoned is going to cause significant damage to that self image.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't get how dipliomatic immunity helps with this though?

Why does my guys being able to park their carriages where they want and ride down innocent peddlers mean you're less likely to kidnap them when you want to?

The two things just aren't connected.

Police harrassment because ACAB. If someone were so minded there's a lot of petty and awful laws you can find yourself breaking or under investigation for.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the suggestion was that if you put a tube around them or stakes people will just think they're supposed to be there.

But enough about the foundations of private property.

vvvv drat that's much better

namesake fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 8, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"You there! Stop all that looting or we shoot!"

"Let us go and you can have the cash and alcohol."

"On your way then mate."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

At least you'd expect the undead to have a long term plan.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Chuff McNothing posted:

I imagine a 30-year old thesis in quantum chemistry is terribly outdated at this point.

Yeah you won't find many potential solutions in it any more.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I had to google all three of those.

This is why Leave won.

To be fair you're doing Brexit stockpiling wrong if you're stockpiling cheddar cheese, scrumpy and Yorkshire puddings.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm no expert on middle east politics but is there any will among people in the region to try and have Kurdistan be recognised as a nation with, say, Diyarbakir as its capital ?

It's about as likely as R'lyeh being their capital.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Is there any chance that XR is doing the Ghandi-style "walk smilingly into their machinegunsprison cells" thing to try and normalise protest over climate crisis, and also make people see how even that friendliest, most cooperative activism gets cracked down, to show there's a need for far more radical action?

not that it makes it good or effective, but is there a goal behind trying to bring everyone in and then get them arrested as quickly as possible?

I've met someone who says that's their master plan but he's an idiot and low level as far as I can tell and that's a loving galaxy brain strategy if I've ever seen one.

Best way to start organisations willing to break the law is make sure all your members have criminal records or have been ID-ed by the police well in advance.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Not going to lie I think a batman reboot with him as the villain would be pretty excellent and a cool way to reimagine the franchise while doing something actually cool and thoughtful

E: no I don't mean batman as an anti hero like he's always been, an out and out villain

So the plot centres on a family in Gotham where one of the characters is a social worker trying to engage with the needy while struggling with all the obvious social issues in the city but any work they do with anyone veering into the crime circuit is immediately hosed up by the vigilante the Bat Man who the cops only pretend to pursue because he does a lot of work for them. Eventually the social worker attracts the Bat Man attention and so there's a bit of cat and mouse leading to the reveal of who the Bat Man is...

Not sure how to end that but yeah I'd watch it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Well Rupert Reed the XR guy wrote this a few years back...

https://theecologist.org/2014/jun/19/love-immigrants-rather-large-scale-immigration

Just endless bad politics for anyone who isn't middle class and white. No wonder they had to bake in 'no politics please' or they would actually have to confront this shite.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

He does at least mention the need to do this by more foreign aid that isn't arms sales to build up the areas that are being turned into desolation zones by emigration, both domestically and internationally, rather than throwing up walls and machinegun posts like the European right want to do.

There's a big difference between "people shouldn't feel pushed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe" and "people shouldn't be allowed to travel thousands of miles to live and work in Europe", or "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible" and "climate change displacing millions of people in the Global South is terrible because they might move next door to me", and in the middle are the people saying "these people all sound exactly the same" while refusing to fund increases in public services.

Weaksauce half-burns about fascism though.

I'm not going to let

"Yes: just because Hitler liked something doesn't mean it was necessarily bad. But there is a genuine similarity between why governments now secretly like mass immigration, and why fascism openly encouraged population growth."

Slide because that's just UKIP talk in nicer language. You solve the problems globally and then let people move where they like because that's what global equality means rather than quibbling over who gets to move where which will always be racist and classist.

Also goatse the queen, make this happen.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Already signed up and got trained :getin:

We're not supposed to talk about the super secret antifa training. :shhh:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

His fascism comparisons are poo poo, but that doesn't mean we can't accept people are forced to move around for all kinds of bad reasons and address those reasons that people are forced to move. The people giving their life savings to traffickers for a chance at crossing the Mediterranean on a pool noodle aren't moving 'where they like' and would probably be happier if they didn't have to do that, same with the people bonded to work gangs, and the people they left behind are often the people who can't leave.

That's something that has to be addressed in parallel with making sure that public services are adequate for people moving here because they'd like to.

Smugglers exist because border control is already too tight meaning they have to cross illegally, you tackle the gangs by opening borders not closing them.

There's also two ways of framing the push factors: "people are losing their homes and that's bad" and/Or "those people will try and come here and that's bad" and guess one is pretty bigoted. The article saying that we need to improve the other places does not excuse the xenophobic framing of the issue and the piece is also weak as gently caress at point out that the rest of the world is not inherently poor, it is actively impoverished by the global economic system which needs more than foreign aid to change.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Brony Car posted:

What actually happened between Johnson and Varadkar? CNBC says the pound rose because of their talks.

Are the Irish really going to save Johnson’s rear end here? Disappointing!

All the traders went and had a really good lunch with quality coke so they decided that it was good news this time rather than the time the food was slow which meant the news was bad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

Very excited for CHUKTIG 2: Conservative Boogaloo

I can't wait for Umunna to join them and fail to become leader yet again.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

The lib dems don't actually want to stop brexit, they want rejoining the EU to be their powerful political project for the next 15 years, get on my level this is conspiracy theory crap but it's also 100% whats actually happening.

Their inability to fashion a platform outside of the UKs relationship to the EU absolutely means this will happen but they will also see the popularity of trying to rejoin the EU when it means the Euro and no rebate so they're digging their own grave while also dragging the rest of the country along with them.

Because they are also Tories you see.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

the only issue with her as leader is she's really young

Yeah potential successors probably don't have enough roots and background yet to really have the same level of trust that Corbyn and that gang have, that's a particularly bad approach from McDonnell if true.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A mass exodus of leftists from the party is a good way to ensure Labour never gets a far-left leader ever again

There's no parliamentary road to socialism, so long as enough people don't quit activism entirely then that's not the end of the world.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Bundy posted:

Am I missing some skeletons that should rule Thornberg out of the running for leader?

She too young, not an MP and Swedish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Well it's not like the DUP actually matter any more and so long as Boris goes into an election after 31st having left some part of the EU then it's all golden for him.