Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jeez y'all she got convicted no need to wish further harm on her. Being a cop in jail is probably gonna be pretty loving unbearable, even without the guilt of having murdered an innocent man.

I'll be convinced when she doesn't get the minimum sentence, isn't put in the best possible prison conditions, and isn't released the moment parole becomes available.

And what in the world makes you think she feels guilty for a moment? That she cried when she found out she would be punished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

I can give anyone some useful life advice, never, ever, work for some startup in silicon valley. They're all insane, I did it contracting from the UK for 2 years and jesus, you can feel palpably how the entire system is going to implode. I'm now happily designing actual physical things with a company that isn't going to evaporate 5 seconds after I stop paying attention.

And if you do work for a tech startup, never give up cash pay for stock options. Basically treat them as bonuses paid in lottery tickets.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I rewatched Veronica Mars. At the end of season 2, which was filmed in 2005 I believe, the titular character is going on a trip to New York and says "I'm bringing my pepper spray in case I run into that Trump character".

11 years before his election it was an open secret that he was a gross rapist/perv. We still elected him. :negative:

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/new-york

They knew.

Manhattan
Clinton: 579,013
Trump: 64,929

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

Trump has the highest approval within his own party of any president since FDR, IIRC.

It wasn't as extreme because of the media environment, but Nixon was also overwhelmingly supported by Republicans ... until he wasn't. They will memory hole him if it becomes necessary, and every idiot Trump supporter will find some excuse to vote R anyway.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I dont think many people disagree that biden used his political priviledge to get his son into good jobs, like everyone else does (and still doesn't make it right) but asking other governments to do it during an election, then GOING ON CAMERA AND ASKING MORE COUNTRIES is uhhhh bad

Is it actually clear whether Hunter was seeking out favors based on his dad's name, or if Joe was directly intervening on his behalf?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That actually seems legal, just gross.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EBB posted:

It seems like there was a brief window in history where things were dire enough that throwing men out of airplanes was preferable to defeat by fascism. It was also not even close to the strangest idea to come out of that war.

Where do parachutists fit in with a modern military anyway? If things are so dire that we can't land planes to unload soldiers, would light infantry have any survavibility? Or are they the ones taking runways and such so the heavier equipment can follow?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Airfield seizure, but why we need an entire division of light infantry on jump status is a great question.

Hah, looks like the last time we bothered to drop paras was in Iraq, and there were already ground forces at the target. I assume someone insisted so they could pretend to be useful?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Except the Democrats havent done poo poo for the poor lately which is the entire reason we're here.

We are working in a two party system, and Democrats' policies are better for a large, large majority of the country. A whole bunch of poor/not rich people are voting for the party who actively works to hurt them instead of the party that simply doesn't care about them because of some combination of racism, misogyny, and spite.

mlmp08 posted:

It is a direct right wing talking point to say that voting for Democrats is bad for poor people. In practice, poor voters generally vote for democrats (not rural poor, but the poor in general).

Now, poor white dudes? Yes, poor white dudes vote Trump.

This is a good point, while Republicans point to Democrats as the party of the "elite", Republicans on average are wealthier and earn more. But there's just something there that causes poor whites, especially men, to vote for Republicans. Wonder what it is....

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

It's because he wasn't really the problem, he was a dumbass bastard but not the prime mover. That was Rumsfeld and Cheney. Dick Cheney is a man that's so evil, despite him being in power 20 years ago I still can't understand what in the name of hell he wanted to do.

Even if it was just out of political expediency, don't forget that Bush was vocally anti gay rights, campaigned on a constitutional ban on gay marriage, etc. That seems awkward considering Ellen's activism stretching back to that era.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah, he’s a truly good human. A shame he only got one term.

Good a time as any to remind people that there's a reasonable chance Reagan tried to privately negotiate with the Iranians to delay the release of hostages to make Carter look bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/15/world/new-reports-say-1980-reagan-campaign-tried-to-delay-hostage-release.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

To be fair, it would probably be just fine if no over the age of 25 was allowed in a discussion about whether we should go to war. Even if it was just the males.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Yes, men age 18-25 should make decisions that are monumentally important to human life and could result in the deaths of millions.

Obviously it was tongue in cheek, but it turns out the assumptions were faulty too. Based on popular perception I assumed that younger people would be the least likely to be pro-war, but at least in the case of Iraq they were the strongest supporters in 2002 and 2003.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Much like people who hide behind the first amendment but really don't believe in it, conservatives don't actually give a poo poo about the constitution. Film at 11

It's been said a lot lately, but conservatives want the law to protect them, but not apply to them. It should apply to others, but not protect them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Remember when Trump said he could kill a person on Fifth Avenue and no one would care? What if it was Picadilly?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html

quote:

Donald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat who killed a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that "we've all done it".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Saudis may not have been there at Inchon, but they were there at 9/11! :patriot:

“Saudi Arabia pays cash. We would certainly help them,” Trump said, noting that “they’ve been a great ally, they spend $400 billion in our country over the last number of years. $400 billion, that’s a million-and-a-half jobs."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50032290

This is in Texas, wasn’t the lady cop who got jailed last week also from Texas?

Yup, and Forth Worth is basically a suburb of Dallas, where the Guyger/Jean shooting happened.

e: The city has a long history of being a shithole, these flyers were up prior to JFK getting shot.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 13, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

The intent does matter in the eyes of The Hague, though.

And even if it was exactly the same, you're comparing a single apple on the one hand (the U.S.'s) to an entire loving orchard (Russia and Syria). The scale of it happening intentionally by Russia and Syria is completely insane, and our massive fuckups are a drop in the bucket compared to that. Even setting aside intent, comparing them isn't at all fair because the difference in frequency and scale.

If you don't really give a poo poo whether you make a "mistake" when planning things, resist to no end the idea that you might have made a "mistake" when someone calls you out, and more recently stop bothering to track whether the "mistakes" are even happening, I don't think you get to keep pointing to intent as a defense.

I wouldn't put up the US's body count of innocents over the last couple decades against anybody, by the way. It's six or seven figures easily, not a ton of players in that league.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why the gently caress have they not be removed before now?

Remember how we got all upset during the Cuban missile crisis? Turkey is to the Soviet Union what the Caribbean is to us.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that sounds 100% what it is and with how much the rnc is getting from impeachment fears it's needed

Is there a better RNC fundraiser than Clinton though? I think she does more good staying quiet.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Not to mention that means testing adds significant administrative costs to programs, and stigmatizes them as something for poor people. It would be much simpler, for example, to just give everyone food stamps.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The ProPublica staff probably did their research, but isn't keeping two sets of books something companies normally do above board? Like tax laws and GAAP may have different depreciation schedules, etc, to where it makes sense to run your accounting one way to determine tax liability and another way to report to the SEC.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Cool, unlike the president he’s not protected from indictment.

Yeah, the DOJ will get right on that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

The cartels also hire current and former military, and send their members to join the police/military to learn military tactics in addition to being inside guys.

It's impressive really.

I'm more surprised that doesn't happen more in the US, given how many people we've cycled through the forever wars. Ditto for how little judges and prosecutors are targeted when they give out multi decade sentences like candy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tulsi was also on the short list to be VP for jill stein and she’s in with putin’s people also.

Who knows whether these people are explicitly involved with Russian intelligence services, but there is no question they are being signal boosted by the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188048255797608449
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188048258255540224

President defending traitors, no big deal.