Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I marked out for the space lawyer reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I can't help but keep thinking that yes, okay, mutant resurrection is totally a thing, but that don't mean that kid who saw her mom get shot in the face in front of her isn't gonna be in mad therapy for the rest of her life.

Unless you have Xavier delete the memory, but that's its own can of worms.

"A Can Of Worms" could the the title of Xavier's autobiography.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I feel the same about X-Men being disjointed. I liked each individual issue but right now the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

I guess the timelines aren't necessarily linear or in sync but I also felt it was odd that Xavier's resurrection was addressed in X-Force two issues later rather than in any of the intervening X-books.

It looks like New Mutants 1 was Hickman/Brisson, 2 was just Hickman, and 3 was just Brisson, which might have something to do with the shift in tone. I preferred 1 and 2 to 3 as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

FF/X-Men was pretty entertaining, even if I'm kinda cooled on Dodson's pencils. Loved it having at least one callback to the '87 miniseries which was really good but nobody talks about anymore.

I liked it and I thought the art was generally fine.

Generally.

Marauders was good too, thanks for the history lesson upthread.

Love that cat.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 5, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, Reed, what the gently caress.

Professor Impossible isn't a parody of Mr Fantastic, he's just Mr Fantastic. No wonder The Richard's kids wanted to leave them, and Ben not having any of that poo poo either. Though Kate being in this kind of messes up the ending of Marauders, as we still don't don't what happened to her after she went into the drink.

The timeline on FF/X is a bit confusing. Pyro doesn't have his face tattoo so it's either before that happened in Marauders or after he died and was resurrected at some point yet to happen in Marauders. Or that's just a consistency error. In any case, probably best not to think about it too much.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So just to be clear, Krakoa / The X-Men now control the entirety of the brood? :eyepop:

I think you'll find that Broo controls the entirety of the brood.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cabbit posted:

What's the logic there, precisely? That if people spend a month buying digital comics they'll realize exactly how obsolete brick and mortar shops are?

If people buy the digital version of a given comic while stores are closed they won't buy the print version when stores open up?

It's not necessarily all that helpful but I guess there's some show of solidarity at least.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I don't know if it count as a spoiler, but here's some promo art of the villains from X of Swords.

gently caress yeah giant crocodile with a sword!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cyclops eating a cheesesteak would make a great av if we were still paying for those. (From Cable #2).

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 29, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I know the tails on speech bubbles get messed up all the time in comics but I really got a kick out of Goldballs Egg suddenly becoming Scottish in X-Factor this week.

I was wondering about Proteus there too. Seemed a bit off.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

From today's Cable:

Between this and the cheesesteak I'm on board for a "Culinary Adventures of Cyclops" spinoff.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Things are ramping up to X of Swords this week, and some threads from earlier in the run are being picked up again.

Read Excalibur before X-Men.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Pogg Ur-Pogg will definitely outlive this event though.

Open the door, get on the floor
Lovin' that chonky dinosaur

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Squizzle posted:

lmao at any tournament arc fight seeming anticlimactic ever again when this has been sucking up all of the “wait what” anticlimax energy for several decades, and will for ages to come

It looks like there was a climax to me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

The Hellions who died on Arakko could be resurrected by the 5 in theory right? It didn't seem to be a part of Otherworld, though I wouldn't imagine anyone had a cerebro memory scan of anything that happened off world.

I think so.

And isn't the latter bit convenient?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I managed to forget whatever stuff I read with Nanny nearly three decades ago. What was that thing in the final panel? I imagine it's a big no-no for the council, considering what just transpired pages before.

I thought it was a baby Smiley robot, but I'm not sure if robots make babies.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I wonder if they'll ever get to some of the philosophical issues of the resurrection protocol? Even a perfect copy is just a copy, and the original consciousness/brain is gone. Maybe in Way of X?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s a thing that genuinely dissuades me from reading Marvel and DC comics: you find a side character you like and then they get killed off by some other writer for cheap drama

All the more reason to get on board with the easily ressurrected X-Men!*

*offer not valid for fans of Rockslide

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Great X-Force this week! A very nice balance of comedy, action, and emotional, with a cliffhanger that left me wanting more.

SWORD was good too. Excalibur was probably my least favourite but it was still fine.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cartridgeblowers posted:

2. Why is no one talking about the best part of the issue, which is Wolverine making GBS threads his pants in Wild Child's hallucination. "OH HELL NO! It's Wild Child. The BIG DOG!" made me cackle.

I couldn't help reading this as Micheal Cole calling Roman Reigns and I was equal parts amused and disappointed in myself.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

If giant-sized is 30-35 pages (current run) and 48 pages (past runs), how many pages is planet-sized?!

Anyway, it's Gerry Duggan so I'm in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Daken shouting "see you tomorrow" when sacrificing himself to Morrigan was an amusing moment in today's X-Factor.

Children of the Atom didn't grab me but I'll give it a chance to grow. It would probably help if I was remotely familiar with the main characters.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Am I understanding the ending right that these kids aren't actually mutants? I started to get that impression about halfway in what with the Cerebro thing, but that penultimate page is frankly not super coherent.

That was my impression. I also found the fight scene at the start of the issue to be difficult to follow at times.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I liked X-Force and usually enjoy the art but there were a few panels of Jean that really didn't work for me.

Link's not working, but yeah, something seemed off.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wouldn't the new Laura have no recall of her life in the Vault? Kind of puts a damper on the bit at the end if so.

Cool issue though! The timelines were an interesting story telling device.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

That's kind of the point. That shot mirrors the one from the last issue, where they first met.

Ah, I guess I just wouldn't be as cheerful in that situation.

I should probably trade wait because my memory for details is terrible but I'm not patient enough.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I like X-Force but it doesn't seem to have a point? There's no real through-line other than Beast being a poo poo.

The Many Deaths of Quentin Quire are enough to keep me coming back awhile longer. I'm not all that invested in Cable's bigger picture but there are some nice little character moments.

This week's Marauders was my first encounter with Bliss and...I'm not sure how I feel about them.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SWORD was great. Way of X was exactly what I was hoping it would be. X-Force was...X-Force.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

One small thing I liked about Way of X was the mutant slang. It's a nice way to show how they're developing their own culture.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Loving Way of X but Dr. Nemesis's head fungus really creeps me out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Hellions was just delightful. I hope everything works out for this lovable band of screw-ups!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Which Sinister is that at the end of Hellions?

The plural is Misters Sinister, right?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It also includes some kaiju straight out of Pacific Rim which I assume will be explained at some point.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Ok this comic is taking the piss right? It has to be & I am enjoying it way too much

I'm digging it too, and you left out Wolverine stabbing himself not once but twice. Gerry Duggan has been doing good work lately.

Hope nobody lands in the hole when it's all done!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

rantmo posted:

Wolverine having a weaponized, Adamantium surfboard is incredibly stupid in a way I cannot help be delighted by. I agree that Logan has his own book for him to be in focus on though. I like the Quire/Phoebe stuff at least. SWORD ruled rear end, Wiz-Kid owns (admittedly, my Wiz-Kid loves comes largely from Jay and Miles' coverage but still he's a cool character) and the last page was rad.

I was reading up on Wiz-Kid mostly to figure out how he has acquired dyslexia (which is extremely rare) and came across this gem:

quote:

Discovering that the three mutants were too old for his purposes, N'astirh ordered them killed. Takeshi was able to save their lives only by displaying his mutant technoforming ability. N'astirh then ordered him to create a supercomputer which would allow him to cast several spells at once, layering his magic. This computer increased N'astirh's power exponentially, allowing him to open a portal between Limbo and Earth more quickly, accelerating the speed at which Limbo's inhabitants could spill out.

Computers!

I wasn't able to figure out how he ended up with dyslexia.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Big moves in Inferno #4 and X-Men #6 this week. They said they were going to burn it down and they weren't kidding!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

site posted:

that's the mini where murd blurdock comes from

It's an excellent mini and I'm glad some of the gags and characters have persisted.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Boy, yesterday's Marauders was pretty messy. Still no closer to understanding why Kate can't use the gates which was an early hook.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

He pressured women who worked for him to have sex with him. Nobody has called him a rapist.

Using authority to coerce people into sex is rape. Well, assuming it worked, otherwise I guess it's probably classed as harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mameluke posted:

So wait, why aren't Nanny, Orphan-maker, Nature Girl, and Curse in Sabretooth?

I got the impression that issue 1 is set before those events.