Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hazo posted:

Prequel lovers and TLJ haters tend to intersect at a very loud group of teens-young 20-somethings who are too young to actually remember the prequels and how bad they were and think posting HELLO THERE is peak comedy. Once again I’m thankful for the SA paywall.

TLJ was fun, the prequels were between meh and very bad, the Phantom Menace was boring as gently caress and the CGI from back then aged so drat BAD. CGI Yoda is laughable bad next to the puppet from the 70's and even worst next to Baby Yoda now.

Speaking of puppets, is the Jim Henson Company involved in the new show, or it's someone else?

By the way, hello thread, the Mandalorian is awesome and I'm starting to get an itch for watching some samurai and spaghetti western old films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

CGI Yoda sucked, but Puppet Yoda from the original TPM release looked even worse. He looked like a Yoda doll you'd buy at the flea market.

All Yodas are trash but Baby Yoda.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I wonder if the jelly coins are edible.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dad Mando is the best :swoon:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Baby yoda in a wookie onesei is too cute for our fragile human brains.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I felt a tonal shift. This episode felt like a family friendly fun fest. I liked the grittiness of eps 1-3. They felt like Star Wars to me. This felt like the Ewok Adventure. Let's hope it returns to form next week. The concept art looked great. I would have liked to see the village look a little more like that and maybe a whole lot less bad acting from Gina, villagers, and bartender.

Yoda baby, still confirmed cute.

That Ewok movie was a favorite of mine when I was a child, so I have no complains with a little friendly feelgood-ish episode because nostalgia.

Also, agree with baby Yoda's cuteness still going strong.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

To Moon Slayer; Indeed, it is great.

quote:

They all love Quentin Tarantino and when you try to teach them good principles of filmmaking, they say "Quentin breaks rules all the time," again not understanding that Tarantino knows every single principle of filmmaking inside and out so he can break them effectively.

I love this one because it applies to EVERY visual media profession. You have to know your poo poo before you can start wrecking the rules.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Didn't even RLM said the original Star Wars was more intended for a younger audience /family friendly or something? At no moment they were too graphically violent like the prequels and the new ones. It was just this big space adventure. But then again my parents allowed me to watch Cronenberg movies when I was a child so I never found Star Wars too scary/violent :v:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

gizmojumpjet posted:

"Episode 4" showed us murdered Jawa bodies being tossed onto a funeral pyre by a robot slave, the protagonists' family getting roasted down to the skeleton level, a drunk rear end in a top hat getting his arm bloodily chopped off by a space wizard, an entire planet getting blown up, a whole lot of rebel fighter pilots getting killed while screaming, and a space ship that could be confused as a small moon along with what may assumed to be a million-plus crew members being absolutely annihilated at the end of this movie made for children.

Like I said I have Jeff Goldblum vomiting white goo in someone and the scene of the melting mutant doggo from The Fly movies imprinted in my mind, so I guess my child brain decided the Star War things weren't that bad after all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah they said it was the hardest material in the galaxy and she was hitting it basically bareknuckled

One of the Klatooinians also hits Mando in the helmet with their bare fist later on.

Anyway, this is a universe with space wizards and cute 50 year old babies, everything can happen and who gives a gently caress.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Generic American posted:

They're also whining that this episode was anti-men because the only one who knew how to shoot in the village was a woman.

it's like they've never seen a Western before

Thanks, that's a Western 101.

Lady/Widow/Old Widow who was secretly a good shooter and has the balls to protect her land/family/town.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

If you want to complain about the show breaking its own rules? His armor is supposed to be damned-near indestructable, but a bare-fisted punch can knock him on his rear end. That's loving stupid.

The rest of it is just storytelling.

If it bothers you then we can all pretend Cara Dune comes from the planet Amazonia that is inhabited only by strong muscular women who can break rocks with their bare hands, so punching Mando's nearly steel is nothing.

There, solved.

Edit: :lol: that someone is definitely gonna write a fanfic about something like that.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 1, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Here's exactly how much it bothered me:

"Huh. That's kinda' dumb. Ooh! This gal is fun to watch fight."

TK-42-1 posted:

Exactly. It was a ‘wait... oh gently caress it’ moment.

Cara is the best.
:allears:
I enjoyed every second of her kicking Mando's butt. Hopefully we will get more sweet wrestling moves on her next appearance.

PureRok posted:

The only thing I thought of when they lady raised her hand that she knew how to shoot was: "I wonder who taught her how to shoot, and why. Is she not from here?" and then they showed just how good she was during the montage and it made me even more curious to learn how she came upon this skill.

Dunno why someone would go "Only woman know how shoot gun?" instead.

Same. There's a chance she was a former rebel? That's a mystery I would like to see being solved.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 1, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Bone broth is apparently high in protein and essential amino acids, among other health benefits.

Mandadlorian is trying to make his son grow up big and strong.

Well, strong. He is of Yoda's species after all.

I truly,truly want to see a Mandalorian/Bounty Hunter yoda.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Wheezle posted:

I feel like any property that is considered the domain of nerds fills with this sort of anti-feminist sentiment. Not particularly unique to Star Wars.

Regarding RLM I always kind of had a feeling they were at least chud-adjacent but I could never really put my finger on it. I don’t really keep up with their stuff but I’m not at all surprised to hear what you’re saying.

Jack Packard seems to be the only one leaning in to the left and being more of a feminist BUT he isnt that open about it, so i dunno what really. Even the canadian guys give me chud vibes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:swoon: Oh my god, Gina is a superwoman!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

Episode 7 of this show is apparently going to feature a sneak peek of TROS after the credits.

TRON III?!
HOLYSHIT YEAH

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

A cyborg sith warrior who dual wields lightsabers and has four more lightsabers built into his elbows and knees?

It's true. All of it.

HAHAHA I remember that one. It was so loving stupid.

Behold, thread:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I want to believe he has a lightsaber on top of his head as well.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I think my new past time is gonna be searching EU stuff:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Not to pat myself on the back or anything (because plenty of people contributed to this thread) but this could help.

Note 1: Not all images in that thread work anymore, but a bunch do.
Note 2: God that thread was fun.

Oooh, time to read and dive in to the silliness.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Are we ready for another weekly cycle of Mandalorian posting tomorrow?

Day 1: “Holy poo poo that was amazing!”
Day 2: “We’ll actually it was dumb because tactical stuff and they should’ve done this.”
Day 3: “Holy poo poo new Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 4: “This is the worst Star Wars ever since The Last Jedi. Here’s my 10 page essay on why Last Jedi is awful.”
Day 5: “More Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 6 and 7: “Here’s all this non Disney canon former expanded universe stuff that they should incorporate because”

I'm here for the baby yoda memes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

New episode was good and I'm a little sad Ming Na Wen was gone so fast. I still have hopes she gets patched up, because space adventure and I don't one care about RL logic. But it seems that won't be the case :sigh:

Still laughing at the few internet people who are hating the monster of the week- 30 min episode format yet still keep on watching.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Edit:

Err, I think I'll drop the subject and just focus on The Mandalorian and my excitement to see more Cara Dune kicking asses left and right.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 7, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJrG3Ua5Kk

(I don't even know if the Italian is well written.)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Whatever it is, I just want them to recreate that famous scene from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

So from some very cursory googling, it looks like the sigil of the True Mandalorians. It's definitely slightly different than the one on wookiepedia though, maybe to play up the similarities if it's really what people are speculating? I'm by no means an expert on lore outside of the movies, I'm just really interested in what happens to the cute little kid.

Aww, yeah, good and correct finding. The reason it looks different is because the things that I guess are supposed to be flags are cut out in the photo that was posted.The banner is slightly folded in the edges so you don't get too see the whole thing. I also love how negative space tricks our minds and we start seeing things like baby yodas

So play a sad trombone for everyone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

My eyes are tired from working on designs the whole day, I didn't want to open photoshop.

The rl one is slightly squished. Probably some designing bullshit, like "we have to put this poo poo in this space and my boss doesn't give a poo poo if I hosed it up lol", or new official vector by Disney. I dunno, whatever, it is the same.

:Mandalorian-sigh.gif:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

The thing on the wall is definitely the "True Mandalorian" sigil and also definitely a Yoda face, when it's revealed that Mandalorians and Yodas have been palling around for thousands of years. OG Yoda gave Herzog the contract specifically so Mando would find this kid and rekindle the relationship.

*Sighs in Mandalorian*

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

There are several Mandalorian t-shirts I would like to buy, but holy money exchange rates! :stonklol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Australiancrying.gif

$80 for a t-shirt, gently caress that for a lark

It's around $360 Mexican pesos for a t-shirt for me. And that's already with the discount. :shepicide:

Panfilo posted:

I ended up getting a Mandalorian hoodie because I am a huge nerd. It has a face mesh and also a cape. I do not regret my decision.

I salute you nerdy goon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

CornHolio posted:

They still call New York "New York" though

My country was called "New Spain" for like 300 years or so, until everyone got tired of colonizers and went gently caress it, let's have a war.

Anyways, the episode was so drat good! I'm gonna miss it when it's done.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Awww :3:

Mando dad should also have drawings done by his son on the ship's cockpit.

(I'm still surprised I haven't seen a "Do it for her" meme but with baby yoda)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks, you just saved Life Day!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

This is us, all of us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7EyOy0-Of0

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ok, this is the part of the thread where I post memes and fanart because I worked like 5 extra hours today on a drat Saturday and I'm still a bit upset.

https://twitter.com/Orientalld/status/1205761729189285889

Edit: Awwww, this is the person who drew the same fanart teagone posted and their twitter is full of Mandadlorian fanart :kimchi: (And some gay stuff, gay stuff is super welcomed).

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 15, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hot take. I don't like porgs, they should be replaced with baby yodas in the next TLJ: extended George Lucas' special cut edition.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:yikes:

The thread's cycle never breaks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Planet Boston sounds like my jam.

Your space jam.

:downsrim:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I was at work and didn't have a chance to see this.
Aw, my...so adorable :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Doronin posted:

gently caress!!!!

Oh poo poo I am clenched. We have to wait 9 godamn days?

What has this show done to me?

It's gonna be torture waiting for the second season. And more if they end with Baby Yoda being taken away from Mando Dad for real, this time. Although I'm gonna laugh my rear end if the cliff hanger is Boba Fett lmao