Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately this was in the mirror dimension, we transport things much more safely here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/0p1EqVx.mp4
Posting on behalf of Cartoon Man, cut down before his time by senseless mod violence :rip:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It has some quality dramatic reveals and comedic escalation, better than most movies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Even duct tape has limits :rip:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Goddamn, I forgot about Magic Mike. It seems like years ago but it was just this past February when he went off to flat heaven.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

Oh, Jesus, that reminds me of a story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqWal_EmBg

This is a pilot who lost pressure in his cabin and went hypoxic without realizing it. His voice is super hosed up and he's saying all kinds of crazy poo poo like "unable to control altitude, unable to control heading, unable to control airspeed, otherwise everything A-ok." ATC started trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, eventually rumbled it, and was trying to talk this guy into reducing altitude while his brain was turning into pudding. It's one of the most terrifying things I've listened to.

If you're worried about listening to a guy die, he makes it. ATC gets him down to a safe altitude and his brain starts firing on all cylinders again almost instantly. But holy poo poo was it a near thing.

Oh god, working around aviation I'm dreading the day I eventually have to take high altitude training. Almost as much as the underwater egress training that's coming once normal travel and stuff are generally safer :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I liked how they even gave it a :classiclol: face to let you know how much it likes chomping down on all that snow

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Reminder that Robots have to be trained by a human to do the work, which means somebody (probably with very little welding experienced) trained the robot to weld that badly.

Wait, really? I know basically nothing about production line robots, but I would've guessed they were set up with preprogrammed instructions like a cnc mill or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMadkJO0Xhg

A lot of the actual movement is programmed by leading the robot, then setting the parameters for start/stop of action. Its very much taught.

Thanks thread, I've learned a lot about robots today :awesomelon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The really impressive one is the C-130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

:stare:
Geez, I've been in a C-130 a fair number of times for work, and I never would've guessed that could happen unassisted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Here's what that looks like when you're really serious about getting airborne as fast as possible, as opposed to doing a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo&t=68s

Note that this was to allow the thing to take off full of troops and rescured hostages from a soccer stadium. The rest of the video is also good, but I've timestamped the takeoff because it's *very* short.

Far Cry aircraft physics working as intended

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Good god, that's 10x crazier than I imagined :stare:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Strange. I would otherwise have bet on a microburst, but the topiaries don't seem to move much.

Yeah, a microburst would basically be a whole solid wall of rain and wind slamming down on the entire area for a lot longer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Alright cars, I'm just going to do *THIS*, and if you get kicked, it's your own fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSoJDUD_bU

All my experience driving in and around Chicago leads me to believe that the inverse of this is true

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's not tree-fuckling, this a tree-fuckling.

It's insane the size of trees they used to fell when industrialized logging began in earnest. Monsters that make General Sherman look like a bitch. And they're all gone now, we'll never see trees of that size again.

Splode posted:

This is very sad.

Yeah, I was just gonna say, even back when stripping those resources really kicked off, I just can't understand the mindset of seeing wonders like that and going "gently caress yeah, we're taking em down"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess I'll fry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Those line guys knew exactly what they were getting into

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look, just because I post while I drive

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You know what vehicles have plush as gently caress seats? Giant trucks.

It's crazy how true this is, my dad got a big four-door truck and it's the roomiest, most comfortable vehicle anyone in the family owns. (it's a little bit big for the amount of hauling he does, but he's very much not a macho truck guy so I'm pretty sure he mostly bought it because it was so comfortable)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Whyyyyyyyyyyy would you open the door???

I spent a while watching it, trying to figure out why they didn't just gun the engine as soon as they felt the road tipping up, and I'm guessing that the perspective makes the growing gap look a lot smaller than it actually was. I assume they probably also froze for a while, then had the idea to run to safety but their view of jumping across that gap probably looked pretty terrifying by that point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*equips crowbar and jumps on in*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

it's ok, they've spent a long time training for just this situation

You must've had a real loco motive to make a joke that bad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All that chat has had me thinking about how drawbridges work way more than ever have before. It took me forever to figure out how that person fell from one a week or two back, because my basic assumption was wrong. I figured that the pivot points were designed to keep the top surface of the paired roadway segments essentially together as the bridge portion rotated up (avoiding any substantial gap), rather than part of the bridge portion also rotating down and creating said gap. I guess there's probably mechanical or design reasons that make this way simpler or cheaper or something?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

open and close the nearest room door while staring at the side with the hinges and all will become clear

That's the thing, if they *were* hinged exactly like that, maybe the gap would be bigger than I imagine scaled up to a bridge. But the video has the pivot set up so the bridge section rotates completely away from and under the other road section, which I was totally not picturing. Oh well, obviously I've never lived anywhere that drawbridges were very common, I probably haven't even driven on one for at least twenty years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edward IV posted:

The section that drops down is acting as and is probably holding counterweights so that the motor(s) can exert less force to lift the bridge. It also means the motors and brakes can be sized much smaller as it no longer needs to rotate and hold up the whole weight of the bridge. While you could have dedicated arms to hold onto the counterweights to separate it from the bridge deck and move the pivot point so that no part of the bridge deck dips below the roadway when moving, it's probably easier and cheaper to build it as a simple span and have the deck dip below like a see-saw.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense from the engineering side, thanks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What about woman truck seats, how do those fare?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I knew jaguars sometimes go after birds, but that's insane

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

D-Duncan?? :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also it's really cold way up there, so it's just simulating what the birds will actually be like

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, Gooey Louie's gotten way more intense since I played it as a kid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hedenius posted:

It's also probably not real. I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Ukraine at the moment.

Not to mention anything going in

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

These videos always remind me of when those multistory indoor playplaces got popular when I was a kid, and I realized I really don't like climbing on even child-friendly equipment way up in the air, even with multiple levels of nets and padding below. And then there's these guys

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Exactly. If the pros do it all the time, you just follow their lead, they know what they're doing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

That reminds me, the trucker convoy apparently hit Des Moines last night. I only know this because a few overpasses nearby had cars stopped on them while people watched the traffic, so I had to ask what was up. Any convoy presence was 100% indistinguishable from the normal I-80 traffic, lol.

I hadn't even heard we had one but instantly assumed it was for :coronatoot:FREEDOM:coronatoot:

But yeah, I've spent way too much time driving back and forth on Midwest I-80, and it's such a truck-heavy route that I could probably never tell if there was a concerted effort by truckers to protest in favor of a virus.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

New Mario Kart DLC looking good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

A large boulder the size of a small boulder came off a cliff above a home in Finland and split in two crushing a sauna building and a car.

So it's two medium boulders each half the size of a small boulder now?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You know what, in retrospect it's bad to kinkshame and I take back what I said. Clearly I need to work to remove the moat from my own eye.

Well have I got a tool for you!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've had a bunch of fun screwing around with a giant pvc potato gun my brother made, I never knew there was any particular structural danger :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What’d you use for propellant? I used aerosol hairspray and a camping stove lighter, the kind with a little steel wheel and a flint.

I quit playing with mine sometime soon after I launched a rocket made of a 1” pvc tube with a 3/&”x4x lag bolt sticking out the nose into the stratosphere in the direction of the next neighborhood over.

It was pretty much that, hairspray plus some kind of flicky lighter assembly. It was a ton of fun, I'm glad we didn't blow our faces off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That reminds me of the Dumbest Thing I Ever Did: as a kid, we decided to pack an empty 12g CO2 cartridge with gunpowder unloaded from shotgun shells, stick a wick in the top, and jam that in the top of a model rocket in the hope that the charge intended to release the parachute would set it off. It worked perfectly, it made one of the biggest explosions I've seen at about 700 feet up without somehow killing or maiming us along the way, I don't know how we were so lucky to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoWake posted:

a giant, fist-sized popper

I'm entertained by this concept, regardless of the eventual outcome