Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Speaking of amateurs, her lawyers went on Good Morning America to tell her side of the story. WTF.)

What's the thought process for these people? Winning in the court of public opinion is nice, I guess, but that's not the court that will decide whether you're guilty of negligent homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What's the abrasion medium? I can't tell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I think you overestimate your ability to strategize immediately after having your dick bit off

The lesser known variant of chessboxing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

and also don't wear jeans.

OK, what's wrong with jeans?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I was just gonna say, even back when stripping those resources really kicked off, I just can't understand the mindset of seeing wonders like that and going "gently caress yeah, we're taking em down"

There will always be more, right? We can't use it all... right?

Same brain as the climate denier.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The target audience is literally people who want to commit vehicular manslaughter. These are for people who want to run over protestors.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Safety factors are an important part of design work. For life-threatening failures, they tend towards 6. That means you list a 100 lb limit, and build it to take 600 lbs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Uthor posted:

Honestly, sounds more accurate than what I wrote. +10% is so small of a number, holding a little thing in a small clamp with no danger would still be at least +50%, even just to allow the system to lose strength if it wasn't taken care of over time (ie, used in a factory where maintenance = lose of money).

Edit: I don't work on things that can kill people, to be clear! I'm not an expert on that.

Part of engineering is working within your constraints. Non-critical parts might end up less cost effective than a maintenance swap if you design them to last forever in an application that really doesn't need to last forever (because an accident or environmental wear will put them out of action before fatigue does.)

On the other hand, elevators have a safety factor of 11, and I don't trust all of them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

What IS electricity though

There's a bad explanation, a less bad explanation, and a really confusing explanation.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

every few months I manage to get a drop in my eye, which loving sucks, bc it's basically lye

Have you considered safety goggles?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Line-to-ground setup on that TX, with bare leads. SMDH.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Demand heaters are safe (if inefficient) when installed by a competent electrician.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Some people shouldn't be allowed access to relay switches.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

No, no, it's cabover

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

So it's kind of weird that we got two videos in about a week of a front loading concrete hauler that had to stop short and dump over idiots in traffic. Not that I'm complaining, just interesting is all.

What is the car even hitting here? Giant snare trap? EDIT: 5th watch finally get it. Looks like a guy-wire

Back to my age old question - why are you recording what should be something mundane? Unless pulling into the drive in obnoxious way is just what he does.

Specifically, it's hitting the screw-in anchor that the down guy attaches to. Those are at least six feet deep and are rated to 10000lbs of guy tension on the small end, so they're absolutely going to win an argument with any consumer vehicle.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Strengthened glass always has a weak axis.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What am I missing? They're even both wearing safety harnesses.

The guy below should be wearing a hard hat I guess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

No, no, the other kind of bus.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

iroc.dis posted:

It's supposed to be his employer's responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and provide appropriate PPE, but unfortunately it's fairly common for welders to be ignored so they can just get the job done. Especially if they're working plant shutdowns and outages.

If feasible, local or area ventilation is an ok option to help remove the fumes and/or toxic gases. The next option is for the employee to wear a respirator. There are several types and probably the easiest way to break them down is into non-powered versus powered. Under non-powered, you have disposable half face (like the N95), reusable half face, and reusable full face. These are basically powered by your lungs. You're inhaling air that is being pulled through a filter. They are not comfortable to wear.

When it comes to powered, there is only a full face style and a hood style. These have a device that hangs off the back of your belt. The device has a fan that pulls air through a filter and then shoots it up a tube that runs up your back and connects to the back/top of the mask/hood. The clean air is then blown in front of your face. On a previous project, I had several welders that needed to use these so they could weld on stainless steel pipe. They are holy poo poo expensive. Like $1500-$3000 each. My guys loved them. They said the air getting blown on to them was cool so they stayed pretty comfortable.

There are also a bunch of different filters depending on what the hazard is (particulate, organic vapor, acid gas, etc).

Really it depends on what type of welding your cousin does, what sort of material he works with, what sort of environment he is in, and how much welding he actually does each day. There are a bunch of factors that go in to choosing a respirator so it's not really for me to say he should be using one versus another. If he has a company or plant safety representative (or better yet an industrial hygienist), they would be the one to help him make that determination.

This doesn't even get in to all of the different requirements that would be expected of his company if he did need to wear a respirator.

Powered air hoods are absolutely the current standard and if it is possible for them to be used, they should be used. They even have auto-darkening faceplates built in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

how

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Oh, it's an art install ad:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The short answer to whether current or near-future computers can drive a car at the human or near-human level is no.

The long answer is, we don't even know how human brains work, let alone how to make an AI that can drive a car. Computers are good at solving strictly bounded problem sets, and safe driving is the opposite of that. Not to mention that the work is being done by a bunch of techbros who don't even ask the right questions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Wrr posted:

Is that a technical?

No permanent, warranty voiding alteration with a crew served weapon, so unfortunately no.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Why would you take your unique, expensive, completely untested hot rod out onto regular streets to test drive it? Why not, like, any track?

I know the answer to this and similar questions is "more money than sense" but I still feel the need to ask it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

Will wasabi powder burn? I think the principle is that anything that's both combustible and finely grained enough to become airborne can cause an explosion, it's a physical process not a chemical one

vvvvvv I mean, it doesn't depend on what the powder actually is, just whether it ticks the boxes

Yes, any remotely combustible powder is a fire hazard, an explosive hazard, and likely a breathing hazard. The finer the powder, the worse it is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Shapers have been obsolete since the mill was invented.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If we can build ballroom fabs, we can build some nuclear power. Christ, I hate the O&G companies.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Byzantine posted:

...should those be next to each other?

Consider: they could be stored in the same room, in identical barrels with the same threads.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It... it could've stopped/gone left. Lol.

It's literally impossible to get a muskhead to stop trying to defend tesla's dogshit products. Don't even devote a single braincell to it, they don't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

how much did casting/handling musket balls back in the day also give people boomer brain?

Unless you worked in a shot tower, your atmospheric and environmental lead exposure level would be vastly lower than the leaded gas era.

Here's a fun thought: every one of us has microplastics in us. What health effects do you think those are having?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Go read the deviant art thread and you’ll see what thr millennial / zoomer version of lead brain looks like.

I think that might be a left-handedness trap. Just because something is more visible doesn't mean it's more prevalent.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Well, the recloser on the source side works.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gromit posted:

Yeah, these coil guns are fairly lovely. Projectiles are not rifled so they are innaccurate, and come out pretty slowly. You got to start somewhere but I'm not sure where the tech will go. I assume we need better power storage and delivery to give it a lot more oomph.

The simple fact that the chemical energy density of current gen propellants is so far beyond what we can get out of even the best capacitors, let alone batteries, makes electrical weapons a dead end -- and that's before you look at cost. Smokeless powder is cheap.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What the hell is in that radiator, mud?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I would have some brackets for support and/or stress relief on the hoses, but as retrofits go that's not the worst thing I've ever seen.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Do not look Byford Dolphin up, you really don't need to read a description of what happens during high pressure events.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

:piss:

So are you all going to have to dig up a bunch of buried lines? Because to this armchair idiot who knows nothing about electron fuckling "we saw smoke coming from the ground over buried lines" sounds no bueno niet goed

It depends on whether they can use directional boring to replace the lines. I doubt transmission size stuff can be done without daylighting it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

They can't pull a new cable through the same conduit?

Not if the conduit is damaged, it might tear up the insulation. For a distribution conduit you just pull the old cable out and blast the borehead through whatever conduit is already there, and it pulls the new conduit behind it, but there's an upper size limit on directional boring machines.

They'll probably run an optical check through the conduit after they pull the old cable to see if they can re-use it.

e: And this is assuming that the transmission line was pulled through conduit, some of this stuff is so big that is has to be laid and then a shell built around it.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 3, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

sigher posted:

I'm surprised he didn't violently throw up from all of that spinning. Which would have made the video even better.

That's why they're hustling him over to the edge of the trampoline afterwards; it's way easier to hose off some concrete or grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Looks like some authentic American tree trimming to me.