Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Burt Sexual posted:

German looks impossible to read and even harder to speak. Good osha though!
Its actually pretty easy to read - Pronunciation rules are pretty strict, you don't have a lot of stuff where like, C is pronounced 14 different ways depending on the word like in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FuturePastNow posted:

I would have guessed fire fighters to be higher, but I guess it makes sense that if a firefighter gets hurt, there are likely to be a bunch of other firefighters with first aid training and gear right there with them.
Firefighters also have a general philosophy along the lines of "we don't trade lives", which is to say they try not to put themselves in situations where they will die. Contrast that to any free market environment where the general philosophy is "I don't give a poo poo if it seems dangerous, stick your head in there and see what the issue is".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I was at a national park and they had a similar sign over the urinal, read something along the lines of:

"This Urinal Uses Reclaimed Gray Water.
Do Not Drink
(We didn't think you would, but legally we have to warn you)"

It was cute. I'm guessing this is the same situation, but less cute.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Honestly thought the driver was gonna use the windshield to gently push the guy upwards.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

Would that concrete floor even cure? That would take years to cure, c/d?
Sure, there's essentially no limit to how deep/large a pour you can do other than time (which is to say, supplying a continuous amount of concrete) and controlling for the heat that is produced during curing. Think about stuff like the hoover dam - Definitely sections poured more than hip deep.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Hey, at least they didn't freshen up the trunk cut.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

lol that they didn't tie it down at all, it just was in there loose.
Nah, it was probably pretty well secured, I think it just went flying because of the giant sheet of metal that hit it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

haveblue posted:

...how did whatever he was trying to reach get up there if the stock picker doesn’t work in that position
In an area with lots of little dips and bumps, you can still level out the lift if you reposition yourself.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

May Contain Nuts posted:

The final exam was about 30 questions in the same style as the module quizzes, it took about 5 minutes.

Would not recommend.
I worked for a community college and had to do these exact same style modules (my guess is it's the same company) for things like sexual harassment training, title 9 training, etc, etc constantly. I generally just put them on in the background while I did something else, and just clicked through the quizzes when they popped up. They felt designed to be impossible to fail, especially the sexual harassment ones. Lotta stuff like "Jane has asked Bill not to slap her behind when she's done a good job, is she being an upright bitch or is this sexual harassment?"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Man, it's gonna take him forever to extinguish that volcano.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Look, the yacht's name is "Go", y'all seem to think it's name is "Stop".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Conflicted between wanting my body detonated and not wanting to help the MIC.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

By popular demand posted:

I still can't get over how dumb he and his partners were, but maybe that's because I never handle fissile material.
For all I know that core slowly whispered sweet nothings to Louis until he trusted it to not be an insanely dangerous object.

Too trusting Louis, you always had been a fool.
Demoncore, I can't believe you'd give Slotin the ol' spicy screwdriver.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Wear gloves when handling sharp things, and don't try to catch them if you drop them.

:nms: for blood.

My enormous meat paws narrowly save themselves from tendon or bone damage yet again.
Did the same thing while removing some T1-11 siding off my house. Panel slipped out of my hands, I decided to try to catch it, and caught a nail sticking out of it instead.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

I saw this pop up in the vernacular press last night and knew it would be some scary fodder for this thread

What a terrifying way to go. Japanese OSHA is JISHA (Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association), btw.
This reminded me of a personal OSHA. I was an operations manager for a restoration company, and we sent two guys out to power wash a basement with a gas powered unit. We didn't think to tell them "set it up outside and run the hose down into the basement" because, well, no poo poo, right? The crew chief is a younger guy, and his helper is this older guy who is this real mild mannered looking guy in his 50s, but who is just a demolition machine. Outpaces everyone, doesn't get a speck of dirt on him while the rest of us are just filthy by the end of the day, etc.

So naturally they set the gas powered power washer up in the basement and get to work. The younger of the two guys ends up feeling dizzy, can't breathe, so they stop and go outside. They decide to call the ambulance. While waiting for the ambulance, the other guy goes back in and keeps power washing. The EMTs arrive, start treating the younger guy and then in a panic run in and grab the other guy and get him to accompany them to the hospital. Young guy gets put in a hyperbaric chamber. They run some tests on the older guy (honestly don't remember if it's just a pulse ox, or blood gas analysis or what), but he's objectively far more monoxide poisoned than the young guy, but feels totally fine and declines treatment, back at work the next day ready to demo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sjs00 posted:

what the gently caress is that story?
In my short stints last year as a roofer at a labor pool I got told some really depressing 'guy dies on the job' type stories that were enough to last me a lifetime really.

this is the part where communication broke down. Don't assume poo poo shithead
thats how people loving die?
I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I would agree any workplace should have pretty robust training to avoid injury and death, but by the same token, I think it's fair to say some stuff is common enough sense that's it's reasonable not to think to mention it to someone. We did in fact end up having a meeting about it and kept the incident in mind in the future. But "internal combustion devices can poison you" just honestly didn't cross anyone's mind. It was a job we had done a hundred times before, both of those guys had been with the company for awhile, and seen it done correctly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Otteration posted:

Just curious, but what's the point/advantage? Cheaper? Environment? In the Midwest, regular cremation costs around $1000 atm. Probably over 50% of that goes into natural gas costs?
You can cremate a large dog (private cremation) for a couple hundred bucks, so I can't imagine there's 500 dollars worth of natural gas use in cremating a person.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dogs aren't people sized in most cases. Most americans are swinging around 2-4 labradors of varying size. I'm about 2 fat labs, or 3 in decent shape.

Also pet cremations are usually done multiple at a time. Unless you specify you want it cremated alone, it's 2-8 animals at a time, depending on the size of the oven. At best, there's a divider keeping remains separate.
I specified large dog, but perhaps should have said giant breed (pet crematoriums generally have a "100 lbs and above" or similar weight class) which can definitely outweigh people, or at least come fairly close. I also specified private cremation, where the animal is put in by itself, and you receive ashes back, which is definitely more expensive than the communal or partitioned cremation you're referring to. Basically, I've personally witnessed 200 lb dogs privately cremated for far less than 1000 dollars. It's a cheap process, was my point.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MrYenko posted:

Racing mowers (yes it’s a real thing) are hilarious, and that guys haircut says everything else you need to know about the sport.
The demolition derby we used to go to did riding mower demolition derby as a warm up event some nights. Just 6 dudes slamming into eachother on old mowers. It always looked waaaaay more dangerous than the main event.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ is better than flightradar imo because it shows all the flights. FlightRadar doesn't show military flights even if they've got their transponders on, but I've spotted everything from T-38s to U-2s on adsbexchange. And more egregiously, FR has a program where rich people can pay to have their flights hidden from the interface. gently caress you Elon (N628TS) I see you flying to Europe in the middle of the lockdown.

FlightRadar has better coverage over the oceans but who cares about boring tubeliners going over the oceans.
This site is super interesting. I live near Camp Lejeune, and it definitely shows some military craft, but specifically seems to exclude the Ospreys that are constantly flying overhead. The Super Stallions show up, along with the occasional military cargo plane, but no ospreys.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Otteration posted:

Just for those that wonder...that's a table saw turned upside down. :O
Wanna see that thing kickback.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Great model. Although, I'm 50/50 about what'll explode first, my back or my knees
When I'm explaining to coworkers how to lift with their legs, and they say "I don't know how to tell if I'm doing it right" I tell them if their knees hurt, they're doing great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It's wild to think that the best runners probably had the lowest body fat percentage and so those were the folks who couldn't survive.
Still, pretty exciting moment for the 21st fastest runner in China.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Didn't hard hats get invented when workers were getting killed at the Hoover dam and one dipped their hat in tar and let it dry or something?

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all ppe was less than a hundred years old and took decades longer to get adopted in any serous way
I think the general idea that safety has greatly improved in the last hundred years is dead on, but PPE is such a broad term that this specific claim is hard to really define. Medieval blacksmiths wore leather aprons and gloves, for example.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Goddamn. She goes hands on hips, not hands on head. Nerves of steel.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

It did go on water, it ruled. I broke one and got a second one, not exactly sure how it failed.
I got one without really considering I had no water to use it on. And it was complete garbage on concrete and asphalt. And grass. So it got a lot of use on hardwood floors, and one glorious day when there was a sheet of ice all over the asphalt at the nearby school.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Doll House Ghost posted:

Really late, but we visited Sonic with some friends while roadtripping in the US. I didn't know about the rollerskates (or anything about Sonic tbh) before so it was in itself really weird, but then also the waitress kept falling down and clinging to posts and walls for her dear life. Finally the very flustered manager ran out and told her to get back in. It felt like being in a really strange absurdist comedy.
Generally they don't seem to wear the skates unless they want to. We had one dude who was like, Brian Boitano level talented, and it was strangely fun. Dude was just spinning around at like 50,000 rpm somehow not spilling the tray.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

"Welp, might as well start unloading, we've got a bridge to build"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Poor guy got halfway through framing his roof before the price of lumber skyrocketed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The garbage bag trick actually works really well if you don't suck. That and bucket feet got me through many a flooded basement. I understand I am OSHA.txt.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Looks like one of those Christmas trees with the lights set to music.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Edit: Missed an entire page, ignore me!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Serephina posted:

By adding two large black bars to the side? For shame.
Audio is stored in the bars

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Holy poo poo, the dog getting apparently shamed at the end and just heading back into the house killed me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Devils Affricate posted:

Really weird to see people just calmly standing there submerged up to their shoulders in the flooded subway car. If the water were to go any higher, they'd be hosed. Do those doors not have emergency releases?
Their heads are above water. They'll use the emergency release once it's an emergency, Mr. Panicky.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Haven't gotten to finish the video yet, but that bridge looks pretty strong, I'd probably have taken cover there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I might be missing the point/a joke, but riding a skateboard down stairs is pretty easy. I would surely die instantly if I tried it at my age, but when I was a 10 year old "skateboarder" with my friends, it was the only trick any of us could do.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

That’s a whole Lada headlight fluid
Goddammit. Beat me to the joke, and added a delightful pun.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lol, imagine having an opinion about anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

PinheadSlim posted:

It's almost always better to deal with things without the cops and gently caress the goons whose first thought for a minor inconvenience is "call the loving police" lmao
To be fair, sounds like op is British, so his police call wouldn't have ended with a dead black person. It's not a terrible use for a sane police system.