Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Some companies are having their attorneys draft a legal opinion and distributing that to employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dog nougat posted:

This totally safe looking thing is available on Wish!!

I'm losing money not buying this

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

chitoryu12 posted:

Having brought up Canada's Worst Driver before, they had an Eye of the Needle challenge specifically about this. You were going at 80 km/h and had to pass through 5 arches, each only slightly larger than the car. By looking where you want to go, you'll subconsciously bring the car where it needs to be. This is vital for crash avoidance because it allows you to swerve and avoid debris or another car instead of slamming on the brakes or blindly staring at it and crashing into it. A few people have written to the show saying the lessons from it saved their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qfTPmJn-I&t=1775s

Reality TV manic style is annoying but drat was this entertaining

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vortmax posted:

Do you have full coverage or something that covers you breaking your own window? Because I'm pretty sure my liability-only-plus-uninsured-and-underinsured-motorist-coverage won't pay to replace a window if I break it.

Pro tip: don’t tell them anything other than it’s broken

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Nice! posted:

The 3000 mile oil change is an anachronism that dates back to garbage us cars built in the 70s and 80s. Everything built in the last 10-20 years or so has a service interval of 5-10k that I've seen.

Also, the windshield thing depends on the state. In Florida, every auto policy must fix windshield chips and cracks free of deductible. So you don't see cracked windows often unless the car is a $500 beater that barely runs anyways. its different elsewhere.

A guy I know in Florida used to work for an autoglass marketing company where they'd canvas parking lots in low income neighborhoods and find people with cracked windshields, then tell them they can get them replaced for free in an hour. A dude would come out to the parking lot and swap windows right then and there in usually about an hour.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

How does one witness this and not try to slow down the truck? Absolutely awful that they’re just consuming watching someone try to kill a man.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Icon Of Sin posted:

Does anyone want to make their own safety signs?

https://observatory.db.erau.edu/generators/signs/

Yes, yes I do.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Drone_Fragger posted:

Oh no, it’s me, I’m the OSHA. I was doing some testing on drilling into a PE pipe with a hole saw and the hole saw snagged resulting in the power drill I was using spinning round and smacking me square in the orbital bone at full torque. Now I have a nice face egg. I’ll get a photo when it’s actually bruising in fabulous technicolour.

I've also had a hole saw torque my wrist and/or nearly clock me. Easy to do.

Wheel/brake on fire:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 24, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xylo posted:

don't mind me I'm just filling up

In my state every gas pump has a sticker on it to call the state and report poo poo like that. I recall someone I knew 10 yers ago called them, gave a report on a gas station mischarging, and got a call thanking them and telling them the corrective action taken within 2 weeks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Uthor posted:

For some reason, using a hook seems nuts to me, though I don't see how a bolted joint would be a better solution.

I'd at least add a safety line like the one in my garage that catches the springs if the connectors break.

Aren’t they changing them suspended from helicopters sometimes? The problem isn’t the hook concept it’s using a 100 year old one with corrosion cracking

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Humphreys posted:

Because of the greater sigma of WRX owners being insufferable?

For me I think it was that my car was loud and windows tinted. Couldnt tell how white I was until they actually pulled me over. I got tickets constantly in my loud 02 WRX. All dismissed except one dead-to-rights speeding on the highway. I now drive a completely stock '15 STI, haven't gotten a ticket in 60K+ miles driven...been pulled over maybe once. Speed constantly.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Memento posted:

The noise this thing makes at 0:32 is terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLG2_ErvJs&t=27s

The discussion of the weight and balance of the plane after a catastrophic failure as a way of calculating and coping with their friends survival chances, followed by the jokes about the quality of aircraft parts as the probability of survival increases as he successfully recovers is the most "plane guys" thing ever. You can hear the panic in their voices at first followed by the increasing relief once Kevin is in a nice descent and smooth turn then joking on the radio.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thomamelas posted:

Other critics have more reasonable complaints.

https://www.gao.gov/mobile/products/GAO-20-339

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Scratch Monkey posted:

To visualize this

F-35 vs F-15X

SAMs are a lot better than they used to be so being able to get rid of them so that much bigger, less survivable planes can dump precision guided bombs without being shot down immediately is very important.

lol....yea sure on those numbers

Literally every number in that graph is a closely guarded state secret.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ixian posted:

In a world where the only major combatants who can field air forces that matter still have lots of ICBMs with nukes the F-35 doesn't really matter for poo poo.

Wasn’t there a video of an F35 optical system making fire control quality tracks for a counter ICBM system released like 10-15 years ago?

I.e. it could be an essential part of the ICBM kill chain?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Oh god no, a 5th gen fighter will have the RCS like between 10% and 0.1% a fully kitted out F-15. The super low frequency radar that can at least SEE the stupid thing vs the higher frequency stuff, but that's the difference between 'that spherical cow from physics class' with an RCS of like 2, and 'a pigeon fart at 40 miles' with the RCS of three grains of rice.

Whereas the F-15 has an RCS of like 45 m^2, and can be seen from space.

I can say with moral certainty you don’t know what you’re talking about. This is a very dumb post that each individual fact, and the units, and the way you express ratios is wrong.

Edit: especially lollin at 45dbsm

Edit2: since I’m being a jerk without contributing:

On the last page of the below PDF are two RCS plots of a “large bomber” and a “large ship” at unstated frequencies. You’ll notice that 45dbsm falls in to the “large ship” category.

http://faculty.nps.edu/jenn/EC4630/ComplexTargetsV2.pdf

And it doesn’t make sense to compare log scale numbers as linear ratios eg 10% of 10dbsm.

If you’re interested in this topic, this book is very good: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Airborne-Radar-Aerospace-Systems/dp/1891121014

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I use EM radiation all the time at work so I'm pretty familiar with some frequency bands at least. I got an opportunity to view the f35 through the 380nm to 740nm band and it wasn't obscured at all.

It had a tarp on it, Trump already leaked it’s invisible.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

There are a pile of threads where this is better covered, such as the cold war / airpower thread.

I’m drinking with my wife and only replied to the dummy because I assume this was the AIRPOWER thread. Feel kinda bad but...so dumb and war is very OSHA

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 4, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Karia posted:

This is already a product. McMaster's got changeable face hammers, sledges, or deadblows.

There's also similar changeable tips for tap-testing hammers, which have piezoelectric transducers to record the force of impact. We use them to measure vibration response: hit a part and record its motion using an accelerometer/capacitance probe/vibrometer/whatever, and you can compute the frequency response based on the motion and the input force. Changing tips gives different responses: a harder tip applies more energy over a wider bandwidth, so if you want to get high frequencies you generally use the harder tips, but you also run the risk of damaging your part. High-performance machining: we hit things with hammers!

Ive used these hammers in research and read lots of papers on machining dynamics, but I’ve yet to actually see someone use these in industry.

Have you actually done tap tests in industry? What were you machining where the system dynamics were worth studying in this detail as opposed to just varying the DOC and spindle RPM until you figure it out?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
3D printing is gonna replace c and c machines

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wesleywillis posted:

What if you 3d printed a CNC machine and then used it to make 3d printers?

Oh yes a 3 C and D machine

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

CNC machining won't be fully replaced by 3D printing

FWIW I started this derail by trolling the dynamics :spergin:-dude who decided to go into machining dynamics 101 even though I clearly understood what he was talking about.

I published in the area of micromachining, using spindles >75k rpm where machine dynamics matter. I was straight trollin by calling it c and c machining and saying it’ll be replaced by 3d printing because it obvs won’t that’s a very dumb thing dumb people think.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I wonder what the story behind this is...my only thought is that they plan to flatbed the trailer because it isnt mobile.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I really don’t get the Tesla fear mongering either. I don’t have opinions on “autonomous cars” as a whole because Tesla is the only one with a large amount of miles driven semiautonomously. If the measurement of that safety is miles between incidents autopilot seems to be much safer than the us average, at least according to the numbers reported by Tesla. 4.5M miles between crashes with autopilot engaged compared to a US average of 0.5M.

There’s certainly flaws with this logic, maybe most important is that autopilot can only be engaged in lower risk scenarios, but that seems to be changing very soon. Additionally, the types of people who buy Tesla’s may be safer drivers than those who drive Maximas and Malibus, which have the highest MY2017 death rates. So at a minimum the fear mongering seems unsupported, but the consequences of acting on that fear mongering may mean 5-10x more accidents.

There’s a ton of fear mongering around “plowing into pedestrians/children” every thread it’s mentioned in but here’s the euroncap rating on their cheapest car: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model-3/37573

It scores comparably in pedestrian safety to bmw sedans and the test report indicates the cyclist avoidance got full points and the pedestrian avoidance performed well. There’s billions of miles driven...so I just don’t get the cultish hate in the same way I don’t get supporting Trump or not wearing a mask in public in the US.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jabor posted:

one curious fact, that you might or might not find interesting, is that the people most cynical about it are the people that actually know how it (and the industry that produced it) works.

while the people most in favour of it are people that see it as a magical black box that solves their problems.

just something to think about.

I find your implication that I’m dumb and don’t understand pretty goon-:smug:

Im a mech E undergrad, MS Systems engineering and have developed/deployed a web app that can take a photo of any US coin since the 1860s and classify what it is (eg barber dime) with 97% accuracy using a DL model I gathered the data for and trained using pytorch. I’d say I have a better understanding than most.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sanctum posted:

Agreed on both counts. I think SpaceX is cool and good and hope they succeed. Elon Musk is terrible and I hope he fails. He's failed his weird underage marriage so that's all v. good.

Speaking of rockets, I love this hour long episode about a tour of a modern rocket factory. My favorite part was how the CEO explained why they were manufacturing rocket hulls using orthogrids instead of the older isogrids. He explains why they prefer orthogrids because they are lighter, stronger, and much, much easier to machine. Some wizards in the 60's punched in a question for a computer without stopping to think about how assembly performs logic. The primitive series of BJT transistors gave them the answer known as the isogrid rocket hull. Decades of rocket scientists never bothered to math why this was supposedly the mathematically ideal rocket hull design. The isogrid was not an ideal rocket hull design.

Here's an isogrid by the way. Triangles, laughable.

Orthogrid. Literally just squares, that's it.

This is a really inaccurate post. Like...you got basically every fact wrong. Including what’s said in the video.

The isogrid design is stated in the video to be from the 90s not the 60s and that part about ??”BJT transistor generated isogrids”?? is dumb bullshit you made up. Also while I can’t claim that those parts are identically complicated to machine without seeing a print, a rectangular pocket and a triangular pocket are more-or-less identically complicated for a CNC machine. Also those aren’t squares.

The idea that probably a hundred stress engineers, all of them trained in how finite elements work from the the classes where you calculate the matrices by hand up through using the software, never thought to consider anisotropic designs is just insulting.

Way to make the world dumber.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 12, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirk the Average posted:

This. It's the sort of thing that any engineer will do as part of their coursework. [...] Also, calculating the strength of a design like that is relatively trivial as far as FEA goes.

Yea this is why I got so bitchy about it. It denigrates a profession that takes weight and safety very seriously and which directly affects every person who drives a car or flies on a plane.

I took two classes in this as a junior in mechanical engineering. Every engineer understand the differences in simulating those two designs and why it was a challenge/constraint in the 90s but not in 2020. The guys and gals in the stress group I worked with at [big defense cos] often had masters degrees or PhDs focused in this area and that was on a mil airplane that’s been flying a long time. The foundational stress experts that make “we’re going with an isotropic design” do so after significant trade studies, prototype building, and real world testing and will easily have 20+ years experience and a PhD.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Platystemon posted:

CarForumsPoster, you almost [...]

Imma let you finish but my boy Elon had one of the safest rockets of all time

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cthulu Carl posted:

Releated, here's a 777 wing stress test

Dirk the Average posted:

How many cycles do they run that for? For some medical implants, they're stress tested for the equivalent of 10-15 years (the testing is sped up to ~40-60Hz, which is not realistic, but is far more aggressive than normal conditions).

I dont know this for sure, never been part of one, but that gif looks to me like rigging/displacement for a static test. That wing may just be getting tested to failure and the gif is being reversed.

EDIT: The reason for guessing that is the total displacement of the wing seems pretty nuts to have that be the fatigue test and I would think, but dont know for sure, that they'd need at minimum a dynamically similar mass simulator for the engine which seems to be absent in the GIF. There appears to be an engine mount but no cowl/nacelle.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, it's was a test to failure. They calculated the wing could take 150% of the designed load, and it got to 154% before failing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

Thats some good simulation.

Also that's a different plane than the GIF, yes I am fun at parties, yes I do like my red text.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

I believe the one in the gif is an Airbus of some sort. And for reasons I can't recall, the FAA doesn't always require testing to destruction any more -- pulling the wings up to some extreme level and letting them back down is enough. Maybe just the impracticality of breaking these strong new carbon-fiber designs.

An Airbus should be certificated by EASA

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

A true welders tool

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Taken from the construction thread. Japanese demolition crew not wearing proper high vis

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

2 pages late but: this owns.

Also even the cool goons look like goons god drat SA you really found a niche.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PainterofCrap posted:

Not any more.

Phone posting but I only see weld beads along the bottom. Assuming the heat treated rails are the top flange the HAZ of the welds are no where near the top flange.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Lone Badger posted:

Canids otoh are at least as good at endurance hunting as humans despite having neither of those advantages.

[Citation needed]

I see something on wiki about African dogs but reading further looks like the “endurance” timescale for humans is much longer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Being knighted means absolutely nothing to anyone. Nobody cares.

I care a lot about who is knighted

You’re just mad because you’re a mere scallywag, unfit for the regal title of knight

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The OSHA thread considers nearly every risk to be an actual thing that will happen to them personally. Just don't mention Tesla. It doesnt work. You get red texts.

They don't do Bayes. They don't know who that is. They use flip phones. "You can get viruses on iOS!" they cry.

I drew a picture for the regular OSHA thread posters:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 5, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the more I think about it the more the idea of preinstalling breathalizers in new cars is the ultimate holy grail.

You have a set of requirements for the equipment that's pretty much this:
Get and record reliable timestamped info about the state of the vehicle. Driver is attempting to start, the vehicle is running or not etc.
Show information to the driver about their test, notify them that they need to take a test, etc.
Securely store and communicate this info to your database + get any additional info like pic of the driver, etc.
Prevent the engine from starting except in xyz condition.

If you were partnered with the manufacturer almost all of this is already taken care of. New cars have their own screens and poo poo. They have their own gps and clock which means you have reliable date and time info. They can transmit data through onstar or whatever. You have an insanely huge preinstalled user base.

You just have to wait for the dui's to roll in, and you can tack on an extremely reduced test taking apparatus + camera, it would be like how deep sea anglerfish males are a reduced parasitic life form clamped onto the female. You'd barely have to manufacture anything, especially compared to the old days, and wouldn't have to do invasive time consuming installations on the new vehicles, it'd be ideal. Politicians get to look tough on crime. Car manufacturers get to look responsible and safety first. Telecom gets their cut whenever it phones home. You're already supplying the gear cops use to test people for DUIs in the first place, so you're on good terms with them.

Literally all you need to do is manage the data, make sure the paperwork side looks good, and make sure the test taking part of the system is accurate. Even that is greatly simplified if you can partner with the vehicle manufacturer. You could potentially reduce the entire system to the highly simplified breath testing portion and one tiny self-contained chip that waits doing nothing until activation.

This is the worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

What aircraft is this? I find its long thinnyness ~pleasing~