Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Be thankful you're getting your do-or-die election over and done with. America still has eleven months of nonstop bullshit to go. Pray for us.

lol how the hell do you think anyone is getting any Brexit-related thing done in less than a year or two no matter what happens

it seems you are not familiar with Brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lady Demelza posted:

I used to buy cheap leggings and t-shirts from Primark and wear them along with fingerless gloves under my indoor clothes. Being colder inside than out is miserable. Poundland sells rolls of bubblewrap that you can put over windows but will obviously still let light in. You will have to keep an eye on condensation and mould. Handwarmers are brilliant, the Hot Hands ones are pretty cheap and make a good alternative to hot water bottles as they don't go cold overnight. Shame they're single-use only.

You know, as many times as I've condescendingly laughed at the ridiculously abysmal state of construction in the UK, it only now occurred to me that actually - obviously - it's also a part of the traditional Great British plan to keep poor people down. Holy goldarn, it all makes so much more sense now

I guess what threw me is that most of the middle-class and upper-middle-class shithovels in this country are also shithovels, not just the poor people dwellings. But of course the poor suffer even more, and after all, that is the most important thing if you're a conservative

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I don't know what will happen when the queen dies but I read that Guardian article a while back about how there's gonna be lots of pandemonium and hassle

Wonder what the political ramifications would be

Edit: this article

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

She's pining for the lords.
Elizabethan Blue, nice plummage!

:monocle:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The election being held between Christmas and new year would be so perfectly idiotic that I'm now convinced it will happen

I mean think about it, law says 14 days forward, right? Well not necessarily, law can be changed, to make the election take place in January instead, right? ...Except how exactly, since there are no MPs

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

I was literally planning to vote for my local labour candidate, and voted Labour in the last European and General elections.

You were? Who do you plan to vote for now?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Grr, Labour membership joinery form doesn't let you input your address manually? (There are apparently these official databases of UK addresses, two or three editions, the older ones don't have the correct address for me)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So uh, how do I sign up to the "here's where we need some leaflets distributed" thing Momentum or whoever is doing, or however that works

Thinking I might be able to help with something simple like that. Election needs winning

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

One of my best friends is in tears because of this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1203922486968147969

She's been here for decades. gently caress these people.

Yeah, if you ever move to a different country, you really should try to get some kind of permanent residence permit as soon as possible. As soon as the equivalent of Theresa May or the tories come to power they will instantly try to gently caress you over in every way they possibly can. One of the defining features of current conservatives is their burning, irrational hatred of anyone and everyone who wasn't born in the country, it's super obvious in the UK, in the USA and many other countries.

It's pretty interesting how the EU is the only thing that makes it actually feasible, and even fairly easy, to move to a different country (as long as it's also inside the EU). I don't think anything else really compares. In the UK I've heard so many stories of people from USA or Nepal or Iran or wherever having to pay stupid money for their visa (e.g. £5k a year every year), getting deported as soon as they get divorced (after 15 years here), a permanent residence application might cost several thousand and many people don't have that kind of money, it goes on and on. And if you don't have the best possible papers you just get loving Windrushed.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those private polls led them to bet extremely heavily on Remain in the hours before the polls closed. Also the most likely thing to cause medium-term sterling volatility is largeish Tory majority allowing Boris to Hindenburg us into a no-deal Brexit.

Hmm, Financial Times has been writing though that sterling always ticks up a bit recently whenever it seems that conservatives will get a majority. Apparently because of the ensuing "stability" as in "at least something will get done for sure" or I dunno

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Here's a classic party political broadcast from the Conservative party

Vote Labour

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Doccykins posted:

Get some rest team, polls open in under 7 hours!

Wish I could yeah

Goldarn we gotta get some good results from this now

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
PRI-ME MI-NIS-TER COR-BYN

ok i don't actually know how syllable-ification works in english sue me

anyway

VOTE LABOUR

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zakutambah posted:

I just do not understand people. Leaving JC to the side; how do you look at Boris, his performance up until now, his utter lack of empathy, his complete refusal to talk on any real policy over the campaign... how do you look at that, and think "yes, that person represents a party of values I support"? Nothing personal about it, just looking at him fumbling around in any professional role; mayor, politician, foreign sec, prime minister. Absolute clown shoes.
I don't get it.

what makes you think they're looking

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nucleic Acids posted:

I cannot even conceive of how any migrant, refugee, or EU citizen residing in Britain must feel.

Jesus loving Christ.

i feel like at least i have a relatively easy option to gently caress off back to somewhere in the EU

really don't want to have to do that though, fuckin' 'ell

the conservatives have gone full republican (in the "gop" sense) and if they really also have a chokehold on the whole country now, well, loving goddamn

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So when are the first actual proper results coming in? Should be right about now yeah?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

of course the lib dems hosed us

Farage was smart enough to just loving give up so he wouldn't split the conservative vote (or at least not badly)

Jo Swinson, on the other hand, loving lol

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The more I think about it the more I agree with all those saying that Labour just need to simplify their message and campaign. Come up with a simple slogan, maximum three words, then hammer that poo poo every second sentence. Like, TAX THE RICH. Dunno if that's the best one but something like that. Right?

No money for the NHS? Solution is TAX THE RICH, that gets us money, yes it's that simple.

Railways are hosed and electricity costs too much and so on? Well TAX THE RICH then use that money to improve those services. Education too costly? Guess what, TAX THE RICH. And so on

Of course even this won't work if everyone in fact wants to throw out the foreigners and get a loving no-deal Brexit so I dunno. :v:

But, in theory you could even go neutral on racism (yes I know :vomit:) by focusing on just TAX THE RICH. You know, foreigners coming over here? Well if we just TAX THE RICH we'll have the money for British services for British people in any case, right?

Seriously, I feel like we just need a simple message, it doesn't need to be 100% correct and right and nuanced, as long as it's like 80% correct and simple to understand.

(I mean rather than tax the "rich", which sounds like "focus on taxing rich people specifically", I think it's probably more important to tax big multinational corporations and crack down on tax dodging by companies, but think about the slogan - TAX THE MULTINATIONAL CORPzzz sorry audience fell loving asleep there on the ninth syllable mate, that won't cut it)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

winegums posted:

"For the many, not the few" was a great slogan. Just need to lose all the complicated baggage and stick to "tax on wealth/excess property, money redistributed to schools and hospitals".

Not a great slogan, too many words. :v: And "for the many" is too vague imo.

I'm not saying "tax the rich" is the best possible slogan but it seems to me that we need some kind of easy-to-understand message like that

Pochoclo posted:

“gently caress the rich, help the poor” doesn’t work because most poors think they’re temporarily embarrassed millionaires

I swear they’ll complain about raising taxes on second homes and incomes of 100k when they’re on UC

Yeah stuff like this is a problem, and the media being total cunts is a problem. But with a whole bunch of consistent campaigning and so on it might be possible to overcome this kind of bullshit. What can I say, I'm an optimist

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

The huge problem with Labour Lexit was that it would be hobbled by Northern Ireland. No way Corbyn would want to blow the GFA up.

The main problem with Brexit is that Brexit is inherently a stupid bullshit idea for morons, which was never going to make sense or work no matter how you do it

I guess the silver lining here is indeed that said stupid bullshit now belongs completely to the tories, they have more than enough rope to hang themselves with... but holy poo poo it's gonna be a long howevermany years

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A future relationship with freedom of movement (Norway+? I legit can't remember which dumb loving name they had for it) honours the GFA.

Yep it does, but then it's Brexit in name only, which is a stupid bullshit idea :v:

It's interesting I think to try to ponder how one would do Brexit properly, as in, how to make it actually make sense. I mean, the EU is obviously not immutably awesome always, it's not obvious that every country would want to stay in forevermore, of course it should be possible to leave... but how would one construct an EU exit that doesn't gently caress everything up?

I mean for starters you'd need a majority in parliament - and possibly a solid super-majority which is large enough to be immune to intra-party factionalism - for something which is also acceptable to the EU. Then, this something needs to not be stupid bullshit for morons like (imo) a BRINO would be, and like obviously Johnson's deal is. :v: And while I'm dreaming why not throw world peace on there as well thanks for reading

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

What is this "bone-headed resistance to PR"? By whom, Labour? Is that true; why would someone resist PR... as opposed to, I dunno, anything else? :confused:

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can saw A LOT about the American Left, but at the very least the American Left has a relative solid coalition behind it. In contrast it seems that the English Left doesn't appeal to anyone besides youth and people in the big city.

What's this American left coalition? Honest question. There aren't really any labour unions in the US; workers and poor people mostly voted for Trump; but there are... urban liberals? Who you just said don't count? :confused:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
About proportional representation: I'm from Finland which has always had PR. For me it's just one of those things where obviously you do it like this, it's dead simple and also the best solution. Right? :)

In Finland historically there's been 3 big parties, which each get around 25% of the vote; then the government is a coalition of two of these + a few of the smaller parties. It has honestly seemed to work pretty ok, we had that Nordic welfare state and all that good stuff.

I say had as right now of course there's a bunch of austerity and also the loving nationalist party is now one of the big ones... it looks like four big parties with maybe 20% each right now.

Anyway; to me the question is more like "why would you want something that's not PR". Like, why would anyone want a system like FPTP, where some party gets 30% of the votes and 60% of the seats? Or a preferential system which seems complicated and isn't proportional? Instead with PR it's 30% of voters voted for X, so X get 30% of seats, the end.

Oh well, not like the UK FPTP is ever getting replaced with anything better anyway :v:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

The usual objection is that PR leads to unstable governments

no it doesn't

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean the usual argument against list-PR in the UK is the importance of the constituency link between elected representatives and constituents - thats why no one really propose classical list-PR and the usual recommendations are STV or a variant of MMP (AV with MMP being the recommendation of the Jenkins commission back when we where actually thinking about maybe changing the voting system)

Yep this is a good point. I don't have much experience in how the whole "local MP" thing works here, but back in Finland the districts are like half a million people each (between 180k and 1 M people, between 7 and 35 representatives (out of 200) each). There's not much "locality" there that's for sure

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Trades posted:

Thinking on fairness, I know it’s like a day late but re slogans what about ‘Fair work for fair pay’. Traditional, ties to the moral messaging that worked well down south and implicitly resists the handouts and scroungers counter narratives. Or does that sound too union?

That's a good one imo. Maybe not as the "only" slogan but as someone said, if it was like a collection of max five or something. I dunno I think proper, ugh, marketing is needed, simplify the message, etc

marktheando posted:

And the type of tory these new MPs are will be relevant to what happens next.

literally every one of them is a brexit true believer and johnson loyalist

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If I was going to suggest a theme for the next labour platform then it should probably focus on the "left behind", places, people, who have been ignored by all governments. Because even if you yourself aren't doing badly, chances are you live somewhere that has been. Come up with some good plans to rebuild towns and cities, fix housing, schools, public spaces, the environment.

Because labour needs to win back those northern seats. It can't retake scotland and I don't think there's much more progress to be made in the cities.

It's also a good chance to really disown blair, or at least his politics, because you need to get out the idea that we aren't all the same.

With the impending loss of EU subsidies there's probably also an agricultural policy you could throw in there, local subsidy for local supply, with unneeded land being bought and reforested.

Yeah gotta agree with all of this. It's clear that so many of those northern places felt completely abandoned by Labour; making sure all the areas get proper attention and help is the right thing to do; and it's also a proper left-wing thing to do, suitable for Labour.

(Also have to mention again a better, simplified manifesto & better messaging on it. Make it super clear how things will be better under Labour. Don't dilute the policies (except maybe dumb ones like free broadband), just improve the messaging.)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think that’s right: Labour can’t be the party of the provincial working class, the metropolitan working class and cosmopolitan social liberals all at the same time without watering down, and if it has to sacrifice one of those groups IMO it should be the last one.

Can't be for all these; why not? Honest question

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mehall posted:

Hell, naming anything nationalised "British <THING>" is nationalism, but I can bet most of you are onboard with calling it British Rail when it gets nationalised again for "nostalgia"

But also legalise an Nationalise weed and call it British Grass

MikeCrotch posted:

The big problem with a nationalism focus for Labour is that the core Labour vote is now ethnically diverse city dwellers. A pivot to nationalism risks that core vote, and doesn't necessarily win you anything - people in Midlands/northern towns are concerned with Brexit and neglect of their local areas but not really with immigration at this point. That hit a high point in 2016 but has dropped considerably since.

I still feel that there must be something that can appeal to, not the full nazi types, but like softer "fence-sitting" semi-nationalist types. Like you know let's create more British jobs here in the UK, and don't focus on the fact that people other than white British gammons are allowed to do those jobs too. Surely a bunch people would say ok immigrants still bad, but you know what, work is good, more jobs is more important than that.

Or new kind of technology, maybe some kind of grant to try out new tech and stuff, creates jobs, new kind of industry, good honest jobs, heavy machinery and poo poo... and don't focus on the fact that these new jobs are also namby-pamby green environmentalist bullshit. Well with e.g. renewable energy the greenness would be kinda obvious :v: but, again, hopefully "you now have a job and it involves handling many tons of steel and other manly poo poo" would weigh more.

Or indeed increase the minimum wage, honest pay for honest work or what was that slogan, don't focus on the fact that the unemployed will get some help too (and the old "hand up not handout" could be a useful slogan as well).

Like, I feel that if there are not enough jobs and wages are poo poo and everything is miserable, of course people will easily start hating immigrants and all that poo poo, but surely that hatred could be mitigated to some extent by genuinely trying to get people better wages and jobs, without needing to also make hating immigrants part of that platform.

edit

peanut- posted:

The idea of that not alienating 'traditional' voters requires pivoting to some hardcore nationalism seems like a completely false proposition to begin with.

All you have to do is be convincing enough that you don't hate the Queen, want to disband the army, and think that IRA bombers had the right idea. Then issue largely just goes away.

Corbyn never managed to clear even that hurdle in the minds of voters (mostly because he probably does believe all those things and was bad at pretending otherwise).

Yep this is a more concise way of putting it

jaete fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 16, 2019

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't think we should pivot to nationalism but try to explain the progressive policies from a conservative frame of reference, like I was saying with "gently caress businesses that would betray us" "are we not strong enough to take on the corporations" but as I also said it risks coming off as insincere and cringey like when churches put out rap videos that try to inject their faith into appropriated youth culture.

"how do you do my fellow patriot. Wouldn't it restore pride in our English heritage if we took back control of the means of production what ho"

I'm certain that there exist (or at least can exist) people who could completely sell this kind of vision

"Listen, you gotta pay your fair share - you gotta pay your share, if you're a taxpayer you gotta pay, if you're a company you gotta pay, you need to pay your fair share. If you're a big company and you don't want to pay, you can gently caress off! What we need to do with these firms is we gotta call their bluff. Yeah? They keep whining about how they'll leave and then there will be no businesses left. Well guess what, they're just trying to bully us into submission. Way you deal with bullies is, you look them in the eye and you invite them to loving try it then. Are we not strong enough to do that? What, is the British market too small? Are the people here too poor? No, these big firms, they loving want our business - they want to be here, they will still be here even if their tax goes up by a few percent - they're just trying every trick they know to get out of paying their fair share. Sure, we could fall for their bullshit, if we were suckers. But we're not. Call their bluff - they gotta pay their fair share. You gotta know how to deal with bullies."

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Johnson will make it illegal for the government to ask for any further Brexit extension

This is excellent news... if you're an accelerationist. Finally, the hated state will literally murder itself

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

because the minute the press see any voting system which isn't "put an X in a box" they'll start screaming to the high heavens about how complicated a system it is

and they're right. pr best, also simplest :colbert:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

November 2020: All negotiations must be concluded, so the EU can vote and implement the new treaties in time

I thought this would be in like June at latest, since everything needs to be ratified by all the parliaments and whatnot

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Braggart posted:

Bovine spongiform encephalopasty :yum:

good name for a grindcore band there

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

(otoh ask me about weird bodybuilding diets, like the person who eats nothing but breakfast cereal, skim milk and whey powder)

that sounds pretty good to me tbh

what kind of cereal? like bran or sugared-sugar or something in between

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ms Adequate posted:

Is it funnier to pronounce Chipotle like Aristotle, or Aristotle like Chipotle?

I don't get why it's "Aristotle" anyway. The guy's name was Aristoteles (well, to a first approximation). Similarly the other dude was Platon, not "Plato" pronounced "PLAY-TOH" but Platon, pronounced, you know, "Platon" (IPA: [platon]).

Silly anglophones and their name manglings :arghfist:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

she's got two birthdays so anything is possible

yeah they all have two birthdays of course, egg-laid-day and out-of-egg-day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

MeinPanzer posted:

My wife and I moved to the UK a year and a half ago and after being in a weird limbo I'll be starting a new job in Scotland in the new year that pays substantially more than I've ever made in my life. Given that we're both debt free and now aiming to live in the UK long term, I'd like to start looking at simple investing, but I'm not sure how best to start things off. Is there a UK investing or money guide anywhere? I know there was one for Canada that was really good with basic step-by-step guides.

There's a UK personal finance thread here