Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I like being liked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1R-5p_j5c

Maybe I'm just an old man, but the LS motor is a pleasure in whatever form, and the C6Z is simply the epitome of stupid torque fun. Less monster than the Viper, less cool than the NSX, but so much the middle of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or maybe an S2000.

:v:

drat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I made an appointment for a test drive of a used car at a dealer yesterday and they have already called me back five times to confirm and find out if I was helped good enough jesus christ what have I done

There's your problem.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

There's a bunch of people arguing about association dues on the neighborhood FB page and it's getting heated and one lady keeps posting HOW ABOUT ZERO DOLLARS over and over and I responded with NO DUES IS GOOD DUES and I am become dad joke plz kill me now.

You're doing god's work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have a model year 2019 car, it has three pedals, manual parking brake, and uses a key.

:smug:

Third world countries don't count.

Actual conversation at my house this evening:

Me: I spent $300 on tools today.
My Wife: Good.
Me: Explaining why I spent $300 on a Milwaukee Cordless Finish Nailer.
My Wife: I never question you buying tools, I know you'll use them.

I have the best wife.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

a 90's Hyundai was a deathtrap shitheap. A 2019's Hyundai is a class-leading car that has dutifully stolen all the best designs from Ford, BMW and Honda and I say: good for you.

What about an 80's Hyundai like I drove in college? :ohdear:

The thing was loaded in comparison with contemporaries in its market segment, and I got it 2 years old for next to nothing at a repo auction because nobody knew what it was or how to price it. Plus, it smelled like coolant. It died on me on the way home, I forget the issue there. The coolant was a heater core they had a recall on. The only problem was that I was in indiana and the nearest dealer was over an hour away.

It was a good car, but man, they've really come a long way.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Too much sidewall but I knew this going on today, will get it figured out.

I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe a bit of disproportionate gap at the front, but livable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Great choice. Good price, too. Keep in mind I sold my low-mile US-spec car for $13.5k back in 2014, and a RHD GT-S is more desirable.

Waiting on burnout.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Why is a RHD is more desirable? Or are you thinking more the trim spec?

Also, I love :3: those Mr. 2s. I remember when they were available brand new on the lot :corsair:

I was thinking more of spec, since only RHD is going to be GT-S, I guess I was being redundant.

I think RHD is a niche thing, it could be a plus or minus, depending on the buyer.

Rhyno posted:

Quit modding and do a goddamned burnout

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Minnesota Mixup posted:

As far as I know GT-S is just what they called the turbo version in Japan.

But afaik, we didnt get the turbo in Rev. 3 version here?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You're just troll-feeding.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Competing in the WRC and then not responding to someone challenging you to do a skid. :colbert:

:drat:

You Am I posted:

got a call from dad's nursing home last night, looks like he is refusing to eat or communicate the past couple of days. The thing that pissed me off was that I visited him on the morning and none of the nurses mentioned anything. Dad was asleep when I saw him, but that's become a regular thing as I have been told he has become a night owl and is usually awake and joking with staff at night.

Poor old man :(

:( I hope he's okay inside his head. ( I hope that makes sense, and I mean that sincerely)

:(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

There will be after you make one!

There's the tools thread though.

Ahem. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

fridge corn posted:

That's a lot of words just to say you dont care

SMH. And there was a time that I had hope for you. What happened to corn's quality posting?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

6000rpm timing failure + Zero bent valves = Christmas Miracle.

:wow:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just finishing up getting about 1500sqft of white oak installed on the first floor. Also had new stair treads installed to match. The bottom riser of the stairs flares out and is much larger.

The contractor brought 12' of 1" thick stock with a roundover edge, but it was just a bit too short in total... he was missing about 2".

Home gamer to the rescue. I was able to use my router table and a 1/2" roundover bit that I got from Home Depot to cut one of his cast off pieces into shape and it worked perfectly. I made the router cuts with the owner of the hardwood company watching. It was like I was back in school again with a teacher watching over me.

What I cut matches what they had shop-made exactly. :feelsgood:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

tl;dr I poked an angry bear with a really sharp stick, I didn't die yet. I might die soon.

:ohdear: I hope you don't get bear bites.

Geoj posted:

You may want to rethink the latter half of that statement.

I wish there was a cheap, easy, and reliable way to measure BAC. I would like to know what my actual BAC is, just as a benchmark. Edit: I mean right now, and... in general.

Edit2:

quote:

In the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down or cut him
'Til he cried out in his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving", but the fighter still remains

Jesus. If there's loving canon for being a man, it's this right here.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 12, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

drat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:five:

Residency Evil posted:

My dad just called me and said he wants to buy this:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=258620881

He's handy and also has a friend who can do bodywork/wrench.

How bad of an idea is this? How excited should I be?

Terrible idea. I see at least 4 different colors of red on the panels, and it's obviously been rode hard and put away wet... and that's with a car that's notorious for being extremely picky about maintenance, and also a repair whore.

He should do it and start a thread.

Edit: :wtc: 3000 miles ago it had a broken sunroof, no horse cock shifter and the engine plastics installed. That speaks to a HARD 3k miles that included a ROOF SWAP, since it doesn't have a sunroof now.

https://autoauctionhistory.com/automobile/mazda/rx8/8a0bed6537-2011_mazda_rx8/

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 13, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

I was rear ended by a literal ton of tile yesterday. Driving the company van on the highway with a pallet of marble tiles in the back, and of course, we have no ratchet straps or tie downs at all in the company van. Since it's in Chicago and Chicago is the worst, some dickhead cuts me off and brakes so hard that we go from 70 to ~20. Guess what's still going 70?

If there wasn't also an old A/C unit and some plywood behind me, I'd probably be dead right now. I honestly thought that I was hit by a car at first because it was so loud, painful, and jarring. Thankfully, no tile broke, but now I've got whiplash

High and tight.

Stay safe out there!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Thoughts? I've never been is a position like this before. Should I even care?

I've taught for a number of years and I've seen things like that before. Running its course is the best way. If you have anyone higher up to report to, it never hurts to let them know what's happening and how you're proceeding.

Just hope that she doesn't get pushy like the one that kept emailing me wanting to "unconventionally meet me" after class. lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Seriously, how old are we that all you got were wise and mature answers? Hehehehe.

Old enough to recognize that the employment and legal consequences are enough to trigger cover-your-rear end mode. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I just spent the main part of my afternoon figuring out the rear brakes of my 2006 Passat.

Rear brakes shouldn't take that long. :colbert:

Electronic parking brakes should not be a thing.

Needing to hook a computer up to a car to change the rear brakes should not be a thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Our furnace blower motor is being a bit weird, How hard is it to replace? It doesn't look all that difficult to access.

Jesus christ, another red title.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What's worse than a 20.3 1/4 mile time at 70mph? Motorweek bragged about it because it was 2 seconds and 5mph faster than the previous version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E77io_1O6NU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Ufff, sorry bud. What they find?

I'm guessing they said the heat exchanger was leaking.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

I am not a super cutting edge techie geek, and all the smart appliances kind of creep me out, but I have to be honest a smart thermostat with a phone app is awesome.

IOT is overplayed. I agree, smart thermostats are nice, but I just bought a bunch of appliances, and I see no reason why my refrigerator should be on my wifi network. I mean, I put it there, because :shrug: , but I see no tangible benefit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

If someone wanted to hijack my lamp and spell that out in morse code I would happily hang out to watch that happen.

That's kinda where I'm at... I guess I gave up on the whole "privacy" facade somewhere after the Patriot Act and... really, what's someone going to do in hacking a device on my network, presuming there is a viable backdoor (which I know there is)? I mean they can find drafts of my resume, and some accounting spreadsheets... but other than that... it's a home network, the same as any other home network.

THERE'S real nihilism. It's my stuff, but who cares, it's the same as everyone else's stuff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

Why is a lightbulb and IoT device? I have a dimmer switch, I could have an IoT outlet serve as a dimmer switch, why does the lightbulb even play into this? Why isn't the reset process, "unscrew the drat thing"?
:psyduck:

I have 2 lamps in the foyer. They are full-intensity 5000k color temperature through the day, then drop to 5% intensity at 2400k color temperature through the evening/night. The pantry has the same setup. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ferremit posted:

This thing is going to be burning into the new year. I still have no idea on the status of my plantations, but if they’ve either been burnt or heavily smoke logged the koalas won’t eat them and that puts us in a very very difficult position finding enough food for the fuzzy bastards

I'm having a tough time envisioning scale -- are the animals still in the area, or have they been removed? Is there going to be anything for you to go back to?

Stay safe, that's some nasty stuff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

You’ve got to love the reminders the planet gives us now and again that we’re just tenants here, and don’t own the place. Nature really is a Mother.

In the immortal lyrics of the Grateful Dead:

quote:

We don't own this place, though we act as if we did
It's a loan from the children of our children's kids
The actual owners haven't even been born yet

But we never tend the garden and rarely we pay the rent
Most of it is broken and the rest of it is bent
Put it all on plastic and wonder where we'll be when the bills hit
:sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Barlow or Hunter? Sounds more like Barlow to me. Killing me we’re losing all them dudes.

Barlow. He was really coming on in the later years. :(

quote:

On a happier note, Santa says I’ve been good.

Yesssssssss

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Who can we trust to not be dicks about email? Google is dicks. So is Microsoft.

Self host.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

With all of the discussion here about privacy and security lately, here's something that everyone should read.

Then you will a) get freaked out and b) if you're meatpimp, have your opinion further reinforced that when everything is open, rando individuals don't really have much to worry about.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/20/opinion/location-data-national-security.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Something's fucky with this new US ID system.

Now I'm about as white privileged as it gets, and when I start feeling like there's suppression going on, there must be something SERIOUSLY going on.

So I've tried two times to get the new Real ID. The first time I didn't have something, I don't remember. The second time I went to the BMV with my birth certificate, passport, multiple bills in my name/address, current driver's license, and a current auto title and registration. Everything is identical, name/address/etc. But I DIDN'T have a Social Security Card or W2, so I was boned. I'll try again later on this year.

My wife went to get hers today. She had her birth certificate, passport, social security card, current driver's license, 2 bills in her name/address. Should be enough now, right? Nope. She also needed "proof of legal name change" since her birth certificate was not in her married name. :wtc:

So I grabbed both our marriage license and marriage certificate and hopefully she's getting the card this try.

Now we have all of our identification documents in order and secured, so they're easy to access, but man, there are a LOT of people not so organized / lucky to have that setup. This is going to lead to a huge number of people unable to fly in the US starting in October of next year.

"Obviously" this is for our "security," but what's the real game here? What is the suppressive intent?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KillHour posted:

I'm going to have to get a new one for no reason my security.

Fixed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Me, reading this post from atop my sick Ford:

That's not wild west, that's 1920 -1930 organized crime or rum running. :colbert:

And I'm the rumble seat, because rumble seats are coooool.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Merry Christmas, jerks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The holidays can be really complex. Socially, emotionally, personally. There's no easy way through it, and it's my least favorite time of the year. The good thing is that you seem to have a reasonable read about your situation, and that can help a lot. It's when people lose their perspective when things can get really nuts.

Merry Christmas again, jerks, and take care of yourself and those around you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

And for Christmas I gave my poor girl an engagement ring and it immediately made her Christmas and lifted her out of a pretty bad funk she's been going through. The morning after she said she was depressed because she felt like she didn't have anything to look forward to anymore because of her diagnoses, and now she's exicted for the future :kimchi:

Best news I've heard this season. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Last year I bought my wife a new HU for her car and they of course omitted the detail that having her steering wheel controls hooked up was an extra charge. Well I bought her a GC to cover that expense and in a silly moment I picked up an old Wii steering wheel and taped the card to it thinking "i am such a genius."

So you let your wife go for a year with no steering wheel controls instead of just hooking them up yourself? Shameful.