Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I have high hopes, but I admit I am disappointed with what appears to be going on with Ciri. At least based on all of the trailers she seems to have a big presence in this short (what, 8 episodes?) season, which I don't think will give her backstory time to breathe. I feel like the audience will not understand why Ciri is 'joined by destiny' to Geralt without a good leadup to it.

Unrelatedly I also feel like the casting choice is bad, the actress looks ridiculously frail, and weirdly beady-eyed (though this may be due to color contacts). (book... 4? spoilers)I just don't buy her being at all intimidating or dangerous (like when she hung with the Rats). Like, my 10 year old daughter is bigger than her. It might have worked if she was playing a damsel in distress, but not Ciri. Having said that, good acting can go a very long way, and I realize I'm just being super nitpicky due to being an ardent fan of the series. Don't take me too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ep2: Not a fan of whatever they're doing with Yen. The harry potter school for witches is kinda dumb.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ep3 Lol pronouncing it the temple of 'melly telly'. Again not a huge fan of Yen's story here, they decided to go from subtlety (hey, sometimes working with magic has side effects, such as Yen's infertility) to 'hey let's literally remove her entire uterus on camera'.

On casting choices:
- Cahir was hamming it up a bit too much with the whipping his head around comically like a bird
- Fringilla has a weird kinda... moon-face that feels very out of place in the setting
- Foltest is supposed to be handsome damnit! Not a low-rent version of King Baratheon
- Triss looks literally identical to Maya Rudolph and I can't not see it every time she's on screen

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know how ya'll didn't pick up on the timeline shenanigans by episode 1 with Renfrie talking about Calanthe just recently winning her first battle a few scenes after that event was mentioned to Ciri by her grandmother

Yup, I'm pretty happy with how they've handled it because each time they have done a time skip, it has always referenced something that was almost immediately previously mentioned before. Renfri mentioning Calanthe winning her first battle (meaning that storyline takes place approximately 35-45 years before Ciri's dance party), Foltest and Adda being at the witch's ball (placing it again about 30+ years previous)... there was also the bit about the king Elf's uprising that Calanthe put down AFTER the wedding. It's good.

EP 5: Welp, first time a story change has actually made me go wtf. Making Cahir into a straight up murderous villain is stupid as hell. Same thing with Fringilla? What the crap. Also unrelated but the druids of brokilon were stupid.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Hot drat the song at the end of ep 5 is super bad. Seems like they were going for a rains of castamere thing and just found someone off the street to give it a go.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wow, really surprised they put in (ep6): Villentrentenmerth. That owns.

But... seriously... what the gently caress are they doing with Cahir and Fringilla. Really giving me big frowny face time.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Ciri shouldn't have been introduced at all until maybe the end of the season. Her stuff feels so goddamn boring. Not to mention it ruins Cahir's character >=(

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

BIGASS BOOK SPOILERS, DON'T READ: I hope they are satisfied with the casting of Duny... considering. I wonder how they'll handle that? Make him grow a beard or give him enough makeup so that people don't notice? Might be hard if they list the cast at the end of the episode.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rocksicles posted:

The only thing that seems to be well liked in this show is food and beer.

Counterpoint: Every time Geralt is given a beer in a tavern he spits it out because they apparently purposefully give him swill.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Starting to lose me as of ep 7. The more I see the more I absolutely hate the magic school. Did they not think forward here? Yen later wants to send Ciri to the school to be taught, but with what we've seen in the show there's no way that'd be the case. Also this absolutely weakens the very good chemistry between Yen and Ciri when Yen was originally teaching Ciri magic. Now Yen calling Ciri 'ugly one' and being rough on her will look ridiculous, and like she's aping the show's version of Tissaia.

EDIT: Also, why the gently caress make Nilfgaard a psycho take no prisoners religious cult. So dumb.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

What is with the tanned and dried giant nutsacks that Nilfgaard wears for armor

ep 8 What in the gently caress, vilgefortz would have eaten Cahir for breakfast what is this revisionist shitttttttt

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 21, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I know I've been posting a lot, but that's what happens when you're shotgunning this poo poo.

Now that I'm done, the weak spots are absolutely the Ciri and Yen plots. BIG BITCHIN TIME:

Ciri Story:
Disregarding that with her dyed eyebrows Ciri looks like she sat too close to a campfire, her story went nowhere and was ridiculously dull.
The druids of Brokilon looked ridiculous and honestly didn't serve any purpose that I could tell.
Killing mousesack with a doppler of all things was bullshit, and that little subplot honestly was dragged out for far too long.
Turning Cahir weirdly bloodthirsty and evil was a huge misstep. Like, literally having him murder an entire tavern of innocent people? How did this make it past QA.
That Dara character just screamed 'made for tv' to me, and even had the cliche 'I am not helping you anymore! *walks away*' scene, for... reasons? Just leave his rear end at Brokilon, he served no purpose!
The problem with telling this story is that Ciri is a nobody to us, and has no relation whatsoever to anything else going on in the plot, so we don't CARE that she's running for her life. It just isn't interesting without an emotional connection.
Geralt! At last! Let me run to you through the forest and give you a giant hug as if I even know who the gently caress you are.

Yen:
Torture school for witches was unredeemable trash, and causes all sorts of cracks to form in this adaptation that will be felt later.
Similar to Ciri above, seeing the backstory for a character we don't know or care about yet is a bad move. I think the first time that Yen does anything on her own initiative that isn't being tortured for shits and giggles is like episode 5.
Essentially stealing the Yen->Ciri magical training storyline, except no slow warming up to the character over time, and in fact Yen doesn't seem to be taught anything at all, ever. Tissaia is just a straight up bitch the entire time with no relent, so Yen suddenly being besties with her in the final episode makes zero sense.
Where to even start with Fringilla. And even in the TV canon, she was a middling student, suddenly turns into a badass at Sodden? I sincerely hope if they ever do the Geralt in Toussaint storyline they pick some other random sorceress for him to connect with.
Bit early for the heel turn with Vilgefortz, but.. whatever I guess.
I wasn't originally one of the folks worried about the actress' age for Yen, but yeah, she lacks a ton of the gravitas and imperiousness that the character needs (to be interesting and not just 'random hot sorceress'). She came close a few times but just her posture and the way she talked just made her seem like she was just barely out of her teens. I know it sounds nitpicky and dumb, but it was really noticeable to me, near everytime she walked into a room with sort of slumped shoulders.

The real problem that those two characters caused is that the actual good stories didn't get time to breathe, because we had to keep cutting to the others to see oh hey there's ciri running through a field alone again, let's spend 15 minutes of this episode on her.

I don't know, to me it's kind of like if during the fellowship of the ring we were getting flashbacks to Faramir's upbringing, it just cuts away from the actual interesting story to some poo poo we don't yet have a reason to care about.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

Did you watch the show or did you have it on in the background because some of these points just don't make sense.

Like your point about Yen "Not doing anything on her own initiative" comment makes no sense when she literally does things of her own initiative during the big climatic moment of Episode 3

Well I did say 'that wasn't being tortured'. And what did she really do here? Made herself pretty real quick so she could go dance with someone? It was a neat scene when spliced with the striga but honestly I hated every aspect of the school, not to mention the absurd straightforwardness of literally taking out her uterus, so it spoiled the effect a bit for me. And while I did like the followup with Istredd where she reveals her inner thoughts, it felt a bit haphazard, because even to the audience (who generally are allowed some insight to the character) her confession felt completely out of left field.

And yes, my thoughts are from shotgunning the show all in a row from 2am on, so if they're not 100% you can feel free to blame it on that. It's essentially 8 hours of TV so it's easy to forget certain events, especially if those events are SUPER BORING, CIRI.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

I don't want to sound mean here but you stayed up late, shotgunned the show, missed some things that some would say they hit you over the head with, and are now ranting about it.

For instance with Yen and the school, there were numerous scenes showcasing Yen's growth of not only her magical capabilities but the relationship between Yen and Tissaia down to Yen realizing the plot going on and going against the wishes in order to make a very blatant power move to get what she wants, which is way more than just "being tortured"

I didn't miss these things, I found them not compelling.

I explicitly was talking about Yen not being 'taught' anything by Tissaia, because not once are we shown that. We see her doing magic in other scenes, but there is never a case where there's a 'aha! well done yennefer!' moment where a student might bond with a teacher. That was my point. Yen becoming friends with her has no basis whatsoever beyond Yen pitying her losing a modicum of power.

Again, up until the exact moment Yen mentions 'oh hey they overruled you' and then suddenly feeling empathetic towards Tissaia just because she lost a vote, there is nothing but animosity between them. Vilgefortz (who may have in fact been lying) saying that Tissaia said yen was her best student ever is ridiculous, given what we are shown. Due to this, her 'power move' feels weak, all she did was make herself pretty and dance with a king, and just at that Tissaia is helpless to stop her? It would have made more sense if Yen was shown to be some prodigy, but not given the recognition she deserves, instead of being one of the laggards in the class. At least then I would believe that Tissaia would have a grudging respect for her, as opposed to interally thinking about turning her into an eel once the dance wraps up.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

So you are just not acknowledging scenes now because there's a very long scene of Yen discovering what the knocks mean and then pushing them into the magic enchanted water and they had a moment there too.

You saying you find it boring, or not compelling is one thing, that's fine everybody has their own opinions on media. But a lot of your points are just wrong :shobon:

Hey fair enough, I memory-holed that scene because it was so goddamn dumb. They did in fact bond a little there.

EDIT: over their shared ritual murder of innocent people, admittedly

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. The king being horny and kinda racist > *

I can see it, I'm just coming from the books where the power dynamic is the other way around (even if the king's believe otherwise).

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

King Foltest lookin like Rich from RedLetterMedia

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dandelion was perfect casting. I straight up loled when he was singing the song after they escaped from the elves and it hit 'he couldn't be .... bleaten'. Just *mwah* chef's kiss.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I have no reservations about saying that witcher 3 is the best game I've ever played.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

TheBalor posted:

Something that's underdiscussed in the fandom, I think, is the exact *way* that Nilfgaard is bad. It's not just that they conquer and kill. They operate their empire like the Romans did: After conquest, vast populations are shipped off as slaves to Nilfgaard, and Nilfgaardian colonists are imported. The remaining locals hate and fear the local colonists, who in turn fear the locals, and the Pax Nilfgaardica only sets in after any semblance of local identity has been ground out of existence. Exploring this is the whole story with the Rats bandit gang later in the books, who are able to operate freely in their slice of Nilfgaard because all the conquered peoples hate the conquerors and give any kind of aid they can to those who slit their throats.

It always bugged me that people always gloss over that when talking about how superior Nilfgaard is to the Northern Kingdoms. Yeah, the Northern kings are more brutish and warlike, but at least they don't practice chattel slavery on a continental scale.

Season of Storms shows that the north engages in this too. After the Nilfgaardians have moved into the northern territories, the northern kings hire mercs to move the border bit by bit (literally, with signposts), and carted in peasants and levied taxes on the inhabitants. Everyone sucks!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm watching the last episode right now and I have two questions.

why did the Nilfgaardians sacrifice mages to launch fireballs with a trebuchet, why not just throw flaming pitch or something that isn't costing you a magic user every time?

Also why are the mages okay with one of their own becoming so fanatical and joining the Nilfgaard in their conquest, I thought they were supposed to be a neutral faction trying to maintain order over chaos?

Both of those questions are answered by the showrunner having a dumb idea and no one telling her no. In the books if a sorceress went rogue like that she'd be clapped in dimeritium irons faster than you could blink and brought to task, but for whatever reason in this show a neophyte mage who was shown to be mediocre with her skills somehow just runs amok, using forbidden (in the show) magic and whatever else. Hell in the books they even captured and imprisoned Yennefer for defying them about Ciri, though admittedly that was the lodge and not the brotherhood.

eke out posted:

can someone who remembers more about this explain the difference between druids and mages?

is it just that the latter do like formal magical training while druids are hedge wizards? or is it a more d&d thing where they're doing a different type of magic altogether

In witcher-land there is just magic, and how people access it is different, is all. Whereas magery is more like a science, some people of faith like druids and the priestesses are able to do tap into it, but in a much more... foo-fooey way? Like praying and having a prophetic dream as opposed to whipping out a fireball.

eke out posted:

they never even explain what The White Flame is in this season, right?

Tehran 1979 posted:

Nope. No idea what the White Flame is at this point.

White flame: The 'white flame' refers to 'the white flame who dances on the barrows of his enemies' which is the ... I guess title? Nickname? of the new emperor of Nilfgaard, Emhyr. Turning it into a weird, apparently religious, thing is the dumbest poo poo. It's enough that he is expansionist and ruthless (while not being what one would call evil), without making all of his subjects fanatics. Like that one soldier that starts spouting off a prayer like he's a loving mad max war-boy.

Cahir: They whiffed this hard on Cahir too. His whole deal is that he was a very young up and comer, and he ALMOST captured Ciri during the sacking of Cintra. Unfortunately failure is not well regarded by Emhyr so he harshly rebukes him and pretty much gives him a 'find her or you die' ultimatum, whereupon Cahir begins his pursuit. The thing is though he isn't evil by any stretch of the imagination, he's just doing his duty to his country. It gives a good insight into both Emhyr AND Cahir for this to occur. Instead we never see or hear of the emperor outside of a single throwaway line that mentions his name, and Cahir is turned into an evil charicature. What's extra weird is he even gives a little speech to the doppler (when the doppler is disguised) about how he didn't wanna hurt anyone or whatever, but then they immediately ruin this characterization by having him ruthlessly murder everyone in the tavern?? It's loving bizarre. Goddamn I'm still mad about it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Tehran 1979 posted:

Also going to ask again since I can't find a thread in the Book Barn, why did Geralt bite the striga? He was asked at the end of the first chapter and it wasn't answered. He bit her in the show too and at the time I just filed it under 'well that was weird but ok'.

It's clear you read it but others in the thread might not have so I'll post the contents here:
She swiped him across the neck with her talons, cutting him deeply. Blood splashed onto her face. She howled, striking him in the eyes with her other hand. He fell on her, grabbing her by the wrists, nailing her to the floor. She gnashed her teeth--which were now too short--in front of his face. He butted her in the face with his forehead and pinned her down harder. She had lost her former strength; should could only writhe beneath him, howling, spitting out blood--his blood--which was pouring over her mouth. His blood was draining away quickly. The was no time. The witcher cursed and bit her hard on the neck, just below the ear. He dug his teeth in and clenched them until her inhuman howling became a thin, despairing scream and then a choking sob--the cry of a hurt fourteen-year-old girl.
He let her go when she stopped moving, got to his knees, tore a piece of canvas from his sleeve pocket and pressed it to his neck.

Seems it was just him realizing his time being conscious was maybe limited, and he needed to disable her as quickly as possible so that he wouldn't get clawed again, and his arms were otherwise occupied.

Knight2m posted:

Wasn't aware of the different times lines until Ep. 3 when Foltest is at the party as a kid. I don't have any issues with it, once I was aware, it was easy to keep up with each.

Actually this brings up (potentially) another problem with the plot that will be felt later, unless I miss my mark: (future plot spoilers warning)Making Yennefer be 'in training' during this period and spend the next 30 years spinning her wheels in court 'forgets' that she is one of the architects behind Ciri's lineage, perhaps even as far back as Calanthe, which is a major plot point. Now unless she's a time traveler she will have had no hand in it at all. Kind of a big deal :|

Knight2m posted:

Also, as someone who has no interaction with the source material or game, I'm really glad they didn't exposition everything to me.

Clearly someone didn't pay attention to Dandelion in ep2.

Knight2m posted:

Same with Vilefortz turn. Seemed to come out of no where.

Bad writing, sadly. Not to mention making him look somewhat weak, although it's possible he lost the fight to Cahir 'on purpose' so as to be out of the battle and not contribute to the north's success. Book spoilersIt was much more effective having him encounter Geralt (after up to this point being on neutral/friendly terms with him, at least in the 'join my side' sense) and just WHOOP HIS rear end as if Geralt was a 5 year old with a wooden sword. Now it won't really be believable if Geralt loses to him.

enraged_camel posted:

also, it is explained that nilfgaardian mages don't have any reservations about practicing certain forbidden schools of magic, which presumably makes their spells a lot more powerful (and explains why the brotherhood mages are not prepared for stuff like mind control worms and demetrium dust)

Another weird choice. There's no such thing as 'fire magic' or any of that other garbage. I think the only 'schools' of magic ever mentioned as being a thing are necromancy and oneiromancy (dream interpreting). It's an odd (and imo bad) choice to try and make Nilfgaard have an 'advantage' in the use of magic to make them more scary. Book spoilers: The whole shakeout of the battle of Sodden (and ultimately, Thanedd), was to create a group of mages with no national allegiance so they wouldn't fight each other again, and it wouldn't really make sense with how the show is doing it to ever build that. A set of mages with apparently religious fanatic devotion to their leader with an overwhelming firepower advantage would never choose to hobble themselves in this way.

Unrelated to that, I just flat out don't like how they're representing magic as it is. Creating magic brain worms that take over your mind and having a guy run forward spewing mist like that one orc with the torch at the battle of helm's deep. Just... dumb.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It seemed pretty obvious to me that he lost on purpose when he woke up and bashed a dudes face in while seemingly completely uninjured.

I don't know if I'd call it obvious, decided to watch it again, and he randomly shouts at Cahir 'what do you want, why are you here?', which would be utterly pointless if faked. Simply fighting the bad guy would be sufficient to fool the others. Additionally him getting knocked the gently caress out was definitely not for play, it cuts to a sharp stone covered in blood where he fell, and he stumbled through the forest until he found the other mage and clocked him. Again, always up for interpretation I suppose. In any case I guess I'm in the end just arguing that his heel turn here is premature (as we hardly know him as a character at all), and a little hamfisted/moustache-twirly.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Knight2m posted:

I heard the exposition dump, but when they're throwing out a lot of unfamiliar places and civilizations, it's tough for me to keep up. It might have been just after that episode I turned on subtitles so I could follow more of the story. I might have done better in history class if the prof. had subtitles.

Knight2m posted:

Also, as someone who has no interaction with the source material or game, I'm really glad they didn't exposition everything to me. I'm okay with not knowing the entire history from the onset and just learning as the story plays out. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Kaedric posted:

Clearly someone didn't pay attention to Dandelion in ep2.

Jaskier in episode 2 posted:

The elves called this Dol Blathanna before bequeathing it to the humans and retreating into their golden palaces in the mountains...

There I go again... just... delivering exposition.

Sorry :) I was just making a joke, not actually saying you weren't paying attention to the zillion nameplaces and whatnot.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The most annoying part of this show is that Geralt takes a lot of baths but Cavill is always super careful not to get his wig wet.

To be fair he was covered in selkiemora goo, including his wig, in one scene, so I don't know if they were trying that hard to avoid it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

esperterra posted:

The only big changes I can see possibly loving with stuff down the line are changes to Fringilla and Cahir, tbh. The changes to Yen's storyline didn't effect the trajectory of it at all.

Minus the timing, which I mentioned before. Books: Having her still be 'learning' magic while calanthe is queen and then going to court for 30 years excludes her from being involved with meddling in Ciri's lineage, which is kinnnnnda important.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Casting black actors doesn't hurt the show at all. It's odd script and character changes that are potential problems going forward.

Absolutely agreed, what they need to fix instead is costuming. The elves (every last one of them) looked atrocious, and the sorceresses, which are described very often as wearing amazing dresses/outfits and jewelry, look like they found something at the local goodwill and just grabbed it out of a bin (especially the student outfits at the lovely torture magic school, literally the definition of frumpy). They didn't even bother to give Yennefer her iconic choker. BOOOOOO

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the name of those two creepy detective Geralt employs in the saga? I want to say Codhringer and Fenn? It’s been a bit since I read them. I love those two and hope they make it into the show.

You got it right (thought it's 'Codringher', not that it matters in the least).

chaosapiant posted:

She didn't change herself either. She had "magical surgery" more or less just like was shown, sans the uterus removal.

? When did this happen, I don't recall it being that way at all. I think it was always stated that most sorceresses changed themselves over time magically to remove imperfections. Having a magic Queer Eye guy is the dumbest poo poo and I hope it's not canon.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

LinYutang posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel that adapting the books is and was a bad idea. The games really elevated the material by using the world but avoiding dealing directly with Sapowski's cliche writing. The world and characters felt fully fleshed without needing to overexplain their origin stories.

His writing is actually pretty good, and not really cliche at all. He doesn't generally have the badass hero valiantly winning the day etc. It's one of the reasons I really like his work, in that there's actual stakes and almost always things never work out perfectly (no happily ever after, as it were).

Which actually reminds me: they messed up The Lesser Evil in the show. The whole point was that even though Geralt made a choice, as opposed to staying neutral, it didn't matter and was in fact still the wrong thing to do. In the show he confronts Renfri's crew and kills them to prevent them from murdering the townspeople as leverage against Stregobor, then Renfri shows up and flat out says she will kill everyone in Blaviken until Stregobor comes down (while holding a little girl hostage with a sword against her neck, no less). This is essentially 'dumbing down' the conflict, because it very simply makes Geralt justified to kill Renfri at that point. There's no wrong choice here. He can be sad about it after, but in the end he had no choice, right? After this Stregobor comes in and incites the townspeople to violence against Geralt, because you see, he's a BAD GUY(tm).

In the books: Geralt confronts Renfri's crew in the town square, fights them, and then Renfri shows up. She states that Stregobor refuses to leave his tower, no matter how many people she would end up killing, so she gave up. However, seeing that Geralt killed all of her friends, she fatalistically decides to fight him, and loses. Stregobor shows up after and still wants to take her body to autopsy, but when Geralt refuses, Stregobor insists Geralt come with him and leave the town, since the townspeople won't understand why Geralt killed these people, and will think him a monster. Geralt refuses, and the townspeople show up and start throwing stones until the Alderman comes and stops them, and he tells Geralt to never come back.

Here you have a situation that could have been completely avoided, no one would have died. Choosing the 'lesser evil' was a mistake (as it always is). No one in the story is an out and out moustache-twirling villain, as they are in the show. It's magnitudes better.

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 24, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So Yennefer did a huge non-consensual magical orgy.

Naw, they reference a couple times that the town is a bit ... repressed, sexually, and all she was doing was some magic Spanish Fly, complete with magic safe-word.

JacksLibido posted:

I think there are a lot more people who are annoyed by it than are willing to speak up for fear of being beaten down as "racist", I'm one of them. I don't mind POC being cast in fantasy Europe, it helps break up the "everybody is blonde with blue eyes" type shows you get like with LOTR. However, I think Netflix went off the deep end a bit with Triss, Yen, Fringilla, Istredd, and Vilgefortz all being race swapped. That's a LOT of main characters to be swapped, and it kinda took me out of the slavic fantasy. The boat ride towards Sodden Hill really emphasized just how much they changed it up.

The only ones that bothered me were Fringilla and (not sure if this counts because it's a show-only character, but since elves I don't think were shown as having dark skin) Dara, but not because of their skin color. The problem I had was how.. modern? they looked? Not sure how to exactly describe what I mean, but it's kinda like if one of the white sorceresses was cast as Alicia Silverstone? Like, I would absolutely expect to see those actors in a tween drama. Dara especially was a bit too pretty-boy for a homeless elf I think.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Please! There is no fighting in the War Room!

You're right, that was needlessly incendiary, removed.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

No the Witcher 3 has a much more traditional structure than Witcher 2. In the Witcher 2 there is no good ending no matter which story branch you choose, since Geralt is swept up into larger political events and doesn't have the power to alter the outcome.

Well I wouldn't say THAT, while the 'ending' won't necessarily change, you can affect certain outcomes, just like witcher 3. Off the top of my head there's making sure Saskia, Letho, and... Sheala survive? I think you can also lessen the bad outcome of the pogrom on the mages/non-humans.

CJ posted:

I don't really give a gently caress about Triss, but since the reason this show got made is the extremely popular videogames which have Triss as a prominent character, and "Triss or Yen?" is one of those divisive choices for the ages like "Coke or Pepsi?" or "Edward or Jacob?", i think it's odd that they didn't make her look like in the games. I don't get why they added her to the Striga story if they weren't making decisions based off the cultural impact of the games.

Fair enough but it's really more like Coke vs RC Cola or Faygo, with Yen being Coke.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Im through ep 3 and onto 4, and I think it's a huge mistake to even mention GoT let alone compare this to it. A much better comparison would be that movie where Sean Connery does a voiceover of a dragon, or those D&D movies, at least for me. Further confirming a widely known suspicion that the games were written much better than the books. GoT lived and died by it's refusal to conform to the high fantasy stilts, the HBO show in the beginning was really well made and had great actors. The leads in this probably could not do the prostitute in GoT, laughably bad acting, Im just watching a fantasy porno. Polish Van Helsing played by loving Superman doesn't need political intrigue, it's all wrong for me so far but I will stick it out to the end. Considering that people are saying what I saw was the peak of the show though, I guesstimate that unreasonably mean reviews are probably justified, it's all kind of a cringy mess in the Disney Star Wars kind of way for me.

Thing is though, like I've noted earlier in the thread, the TV show takes the good parts of the books and dumbs them down. A series widely known and lauded for its grey morality suddenly gets out-and-out villains and black and white morals, just like every other bog-standard fantasy show. The political intrigue is one of the main parts of the books; outside of the short stories, there actually isn't a whole lot of 'witchering' that is being done, it's in fact mostly politics and machinations and rather a lot of war strategy.

Cut out Ciri completely from season 1 (unless you go back and put her and Geralt meeting in Brokilon), and cut out most of Yen and spend more time on actually fleshing out the short stories (and not dumbing them down 'for tv') and this could have been amazing. Right now I'm just like "well that was ok, hopefully will do better next season and gain momentum?'.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

itry posted:

I don't like it either. Especially the eel thing. But Yennefer didn't create the fire, she took it from the burning buildings and directed it somewhere else. Like the lightning in the bottle.

Another case of making a 'for tv' decision that kinda sucks tbh: late book spoilers The show says 'fire magic is forbidden' which is a (dumb) twist on *drawing* from fire as a source being *dangerous*. In the books mages generally use water or the earth as sources for their magic, as they are stable. Ciri, while lost in a desert and dying of hunger/dehydration, without any magic in the area to draw from ends up trying to use a small fire as a source to cast magic and heal her wounded unicorn companion, against Yennefer's previous warnings. Ends up being like PCP where she believes herself capable of anything with the huge amount of power available to her and she goes a bit mad with it, until she actually burns out her ability to use magic entirely. From that point on she's unable to do even the simplest of spells. I like that bit of sacrifice better than just 'oh hey have a mook wizard come over and turn into dust so we can cast a thing'.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Canuckistan posted:

OK, I'm bad with names and can't remember the details, but from the book, was the mage who killed all those girls justified? In the show it was proven that the girls (at least the one we saw) were indeed mutated, but was it for certain that they were going to end the world or whatever?

Not at all, his prophecy didn't rhyme, therefore it wasn't true.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The more I think about it the more I think the showrunner doesn't have a clue what she's doing and should be replaced. Every interview I see just makes me go 'oh god, why was she put in charge of this'.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

It was different but not butchered. I still had feels at the end of it even after the third time.

Them not meeting in brokilon kinda killed it for me. Ciri literally had essentially never seen him before or knew who he was. A ton of the impact was lost.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole brokilon subplot in the show was a cul de sac that went nowhere and actively broke the geography of the setting to make it happen. Brokilon is a couple hundred miles north of the Yaruga river where Nilfgaard was stopped. That means that ciri wandered a ridiculously long way north to do a cliff notes version of Sword of Destiny before getting kidnapped and dragged hundreds of miles south again, all offscreen between scene transitions.

I know reading fantasy world maps is pedantic but it really drives home how contrived the brokilon scene was this season.

I'm hoping that they adapt geralt and ciri bonding in season 2 while they're on the road to Kaer Morhen

Agreed. If they gently caress up traveling with Yarpen a ton of characterization would be lost.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

itry posted:

I was pointing out that Calanthe is an awful person even if we disregard her treatment of the Elves. Whether Foltest has done the right thing or not.

There are no good monarchs in the setting.

I think Meve and Thyssen were the only ones that weren't outright bastards, I think?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

That's actually one of the things that bothered me in the books. There's no explanation given for why he was assassinated, especially since he was (as far as I can tell) playing ball with the other nations. I also assumed it must have been a lodge thing, but I can't really figure out the end goal. It's not like Thyssen would have been against an arranged marriage?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Can't wait to see how they manage to gently caress up the story even more

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-witcher-season-2-march-2021-netflix-news-and-production-update-roundup/

Lol at that last spoiler there, christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

this show was really bad hope season 2 sticks to the loving books

Just reread Sword of Destiny and goddamn it just made me mad all over again how they butchered everything.