Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

discordgoons.com in the OP is some domain squatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Now it's just dated by default. I wish they'd stop using Chromium for everything.

That’s not going to happen. The entire history of the software industry has been a continuous search for the laziest possible way to construct a user interface and as bad as web browsers are, they can run some pleasant looking multimedia effects portably across platforms and there’s a huge number of people who know how to develop for them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

These "Indie devs discover that they should market their game" stories will never stop being funny in a very sad way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

orcane posted:

Old backwards compatibility was funny. The PS2 had a miniaturized PSX on board and the NTSC launch PS3 used PS2 hardware for its BC. Sony ripped out the PS2 hardware for the PAL launch though, and all the "slim" refreshes didn't have it either - PS2 compatibility was purely based on software emulation afterwards, and very limited because of that. PS4 hardware was very different from PS3 again and didn't have any official backwards compatibility at all, but since it came out after everyone got used to buying their game a 3rd time as a "HD remaster", no one cared I guess :shrug:.

I know a guy who worked for Sony during the PS3 era and was positioned in the org chart to know what was going on in the backwards compatibility team. His story is that Sony intended for the PS2 BC to be pure-software from the beginning, but the team was so far behind schedule that the ended up shipping with the hardware stopgap. They kept working on the pure-software emulation only to discover that the PS3 was too slow to emulate PS2 games in the general case (something related to memory bandwidth in the Graphics Synthesizer, IIRC — the PS2 could read back memory faster than the PS3 could, and some games relied on this). Sony took the PS2 hardware out because they were losing money, but they have a software PS2 emulator which they used to sell some PS2 games on the PS3 store.

They could dust that thing off and stick it in the PS5 along with their PSX emulator, depends on whether they think the business case is worth it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I think Steam isn't downloading nearly as quickly as it could be and I haven't been able to diagnose why.

I have Steam set to download from a data center in the city nearest me -- the city is only about fifteen miles from my house, though I don't know the exact location of the datacenter in the city. Regardless, I'm very close and absolutely not out in the boonies.

I also have gigabit fiber to the home. When running download speed tests from my PC I routinely get 300+ megabits per second. (It's not the full 1000 Mbps because the machine connects over wifi -- when I plug in directly, I can get that speed.)

Despite this, Steam always caps at around 60 megabits per second. Notably, it even capped at this speed when I was previously on regular cable internet, not gigabit fiber. Maybe that's a coincidence.

I am sure that my Windows machine doesn't have a download speed limit, my router doesn't have a limit, and Steam doesn't have a limit. What else might be causing the slow speeds?

EDIT: I'mma plug in directly (instead of wifi) and see what speed I get.
EDIT2: Plugged in, I get 432 Megabits. Obviously much better, I guess I'll just plug in when downloading something large. Still, it's weird that it maxes at 60 Mb via wifi, since wifi is rated for higher speeds and clearly my ISP can deliver it. Maybe it's the router's wifi throughput? Or maybe I'm wrong about the capacity of 802.11-whatever-I-have.

WiFi's speed ratings are a bunch of bullshit that assume you have multiple antennas in ideal interference free condition; 60 megabits/second sound very much like 802.11n in a single antenna configuration.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Clear out your backlog: https://store.steampowered.com/labs/playnext

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

First recommendation is new vegas, which I've played, similar to xcom, civ 5 and borderlands :thunk:

I bet it is basing it off play time and those games are wild outliers.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

It also doesn't work if Steam is aware of the update, it won't allow you to play even in offline mode.

You can edit the manifest file for the game to make Steam forget that there's an update needed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Incrediblastic posted:

Some Keys since I got a bunch of bundles and should really be active in the steam anonymous thread.

Agatha *hristie - The AB* Murders: QY4X8-R5WZX-H8*WF

Neat, thanks.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ulio posted:

When is the next big Steam sale?

I don't know about you, but basically everything on my wishlist has gone on sale since mid-March, for some unexplicable reason.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Loop Hero...has no cloud saves. :negative:

I wish this were a standard feature! Especially now that I'm in a position where I go between my desktop PC and laptop a lot!

e: ...wait, holy poo poo, it does? Why is it not marked on the store page??

Probably because only the Windows version is configured for cloud saves.

To add to what other people have said -- Steam has two different cloud save systems: a native SteamWorks API where the game talks to the Steam client rather than reading and writing files to disk (which generally works flawlessly in the face of e.g. multiple Steam users sharing the same Windows account), and Steam AutoCloud where the developer doesn't have to modify the game at all, they just set some configuration options in the Steam backend that tells the Steam client where the save files are located and what their file names look like. If AutoCloud is misconfigured then you can e.g. end up with separate save files for Windows/Mac/Linux rather than one shared save file, and if you have multiple Steam users sharing a Windows account you can end up with everybody's save files getting merged together or other weirdness.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Superanos posted:

It's a bit surprising that people still get tricked by the "vote for my team" thing after we've posted about it for so long. Lurk and post more!

However, the scam itself is quite tricky. The website pretends to do an OAuth login and gives you a fake pop-up window which looks like a pop-up from your browser but it actually isn't. That way they can have a real looking address bar that has the actual Steam URL on it instead of "staemcomunity" or whatever. The scammers are running a script that will immediately log in to Steam with the phished credentials and will give you a Steam Guard pop-up if they get one.

You can spot the trick by trying to move the Steam login pop-up outside your browser window which will not be possible.

You can spot the trick by noticing your browser didn't automatically fill in your saved Steam account name and password on the fake login page.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Leal posted:

Goons can't be this dense about online security

The funny thing about you posting this image is that it is visible proof that you fell for their phishing scam.

Like, you knew that it was a phishing scam and didn't log in, but everything about your wrong explanation demonstrates you don't actually understand the issue.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Here is a condescendingly marked up explanatory image, as is the style:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i'm not going to the site to find out, what does "not real" mean in this context? is the top bar an image instead of actual menus, or is the url spoofed? (afaict at first glance it looks valid and from Valve - but i'm also high as a kite atm)

It's like https://www.windows93.net/, a fake in-browser implementation of the Windows UI.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It is a game about getting stuck in time loops to the point where the new game plus is another iteration of the time loop, a sequel in still another iteration of the time loop is a natural fit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Yes, which is why this is newsworthy. Even then, that’s not necessarily true - Maneater, for example, has a Steam page up and its one-year anniversary is in twelve days, but we’ve heard nothing about a Steam release.

They started updating the Steam metadata three days ago.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

Why does an inside-out tracking headseat need basestations

Because it is tracking the base stations from the inside, like every previous Vive and the Index.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

EA Sports posted:

settings>controller>general controller settings>*click your controller under detected controllers*>calibrate.

dead zone adjusting is here.

The change in the latest update is for Steam Input to not use any dead zone at all, which is probably the cause of the problem.

Steam Input has two dead zones, the global (per controller) dead zone, and the per-game configuration dead zone.

Previously I think both the global and per-game dead zones were applied (in that order), the most recent change was to add a per-game setting to choose between the Calibrated (global) dead zone, the Configuration (per-game) dead zone, or None at all, with None being the default.

So what is happening is that Steam Input used to hide your stick drift from you and now it isn't, which is better from a user perspective since Steam Input should be invisible by default, except in your cases your controllers happen to suck.

Note that the Steam Input dead zones are separate from any dead zone applied by the game itself, Microsoft actually has recommended minimum dead zones for Xbox controllers that games are expected to apply themselves and some games just don't bother (hence the Steam Input dead zone).

The way to test if this is true would be to either turn Steam Input off entirely (if the stick drift still happens, it isn't Steam Input's fault) or to calibrate the controller in Steam Input and then switch the per-game setting to Calibrated instead of None (if the stick drift goes away, it's your controller's fault or the game's fault for not implementing it's own dead zone).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Can someone who understands Steam bundles help me decide the best way to go about buying the Saints Row The Third Remaster? I already own Saints Row The Third, Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, the Trouble with Clones, and the Nyte Blayde pack.

This bundle is $18.90 for me. However, there is also this older Full Package bundle for $3.74. If I buy the Full Package to pick up the rest of the bits of DLC I don't already have, won't it bring down the first bundle (the one that is currently $18.90) to less than $15.16? I am having a hard time understanding why buying the old Full Package bundle seems to take off more than $3.74 on the remastered bundle, especially if you consider the Full Package bundle includes a "season pass" (which is essentially access to Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, and the Trouble with Clones) that is absent in the newer bundle. Most people on the Steam discussion are mentioning prices closer to $12-14 for the new bundle, so I don't understand the discrepancy.

I have everything in the Full Package bundle except for the $1.74 Season Pass DLC and everything in the 3rd Street Saints Bundle except for Saints Row: The Third Remastered. The price of the 3rd Street Saints Bundle is showing up as $13.91 for me.

The way complete-the-set bundles work is that the bundle discount is applied to the total price of all the items you don't already own. In this case I own everything in the 3rd Street Saint Bundle except the $23.99 SR3 Remastered, and the bundle discount is 42%, so the total price I'd pay is 58% of $23.99 which is $13.91.

The discrepancy is just because Deep Silver messed up the pricing. Or they don't care.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 22, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Technically true... but out of the box I'm pretty sure SteamOS is only going to run Steam games.

They've said you can Alt-Tab into the regular Arch KDE Plasma desktop, which means you can install itch.io or Minecraft or whatever.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

I would not put it past MS to work on getting Gamepass working on the deck by sometime next year. They've said they'd put it on the PS5 and Switch if they could.

PS5 and Switch have market share and getting Gamepass on them would ultimately hurt those platforms which is Microsoft's goal.

Making Gamepass available on the Steam Deck or Linux in general would probably help increase their market share, which is the opposite of Microsoft's goals.

Having said that, Gamepass already works in Chrome on Linux.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Volte posted:

What market? Are you saying Steam Deck would eat into the market share of Windows itself? Because I really doubt it. Not that I think Microsoft is overly obsessed with that these days anyway. This isn't Steve Ballmer's Microsoft. They already embrace other platforms openly. They sell Android phones, put games on the Switch, support macOS and Linux with their software development tools. Anything to get people invested in the Microsoft ecosystem is better than nothing, and Game Pass is a huge money maker for them.

The future that Microsoft wants is one where distribution of Windows software outside of the Windows app store is impossible and no competitors to Windows exist.

Steam for Linux/Steam Boxes/Steam Deck are Valve's hedges against that outcome. (Or an alternate outcome where Microsoft's flailing around trying to force the Windows app store on everybody kills the Windows platform entirely and there are only iPads and Chromebooks.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft puts games on Steam purely to make Steam look like a bad deal compared to Gamepass.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haldolium posted:

yes absolutely it is. In my experience games do not need to do this, unless poor filemanagement/whatever is in place. I tend to have ~50-100 steam games installed it is very notable out of the ordinary if a game needs much packing/unpacking after patching. There are also a few examples where this exact patch behaviour had been fixed, so it doesn't need to unpack tons of GB for minor patches.

here are 3 random examples from today:

NMS ordinary patch

Valheim mature content update

Aliens FE... reverting a single thing

If a game has a 10 GB file containing all of its assets and the patch changes a 300 MB chunk in the middle, all 10 GB of that file has to be rewritten.

The alternative is you have thousands of small files and you have to deal with Windows’ poor file system performance whenever your game opens individual files.

(There’s a third alternative where the games asset system is built to allow new files to override existing files, but that means the game sizes grows continuously as the game gets patched because all the old assets that the game doesn’t use anymore are kept around.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Alternate theory: your hardware is failing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Gadfly posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/beta-rollback-update

How likely are they going to roll this "feature" out? I usually mod games, so I need the functionality to rollback to previous versions of the game.

You can't reasonably expect to be able to install Steam games by any process other than clicking the Install button.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They seem to get Time Travel or Time Manipulation.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Leal posted:

My brother gifted me a copy of Back 4 Blood and something we noticed on the email is that it said he gifted me a subscription of the game. Is this new corporate language to be used so they can go "no we aren't selling a product, we're selling access to a product"? To try and navigate around consumer laws?

It isn't new -- every single product key I've ever redeemed on Steam has thanked me for activating my subscription.

And as CharlieFoxtrot mentioned, you have never owned any of the software you've bought. You've purchased access to a contractual agreement where the copyright owner allows you to violate copyright laws in certain limited ways that lets you use a computer program.

Downloading a program off the internet violates copyright law. So does copying the program off the installation DVD to your hard disk. So does copying the program from your hard disk into system RAM, and copying data from system RAM to video RAM, and making copies of various bits and pieces in the processor's L1 and L2 caches, and the various caches in your GPU, and the cache RAM inside your hard disks. You are allowed to make these copies by the license agreement you have to agree to in order to run the program in the first place, and if you don't you're committing a crime. Thousands or millions of crimes per second, technically.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve installed a new drive on an old computer, installed a fresh copy of windows, and am now moving some steam stuff over. So it’s going from a standard c: install to a standard c: install. I had steam install one game to get everything set up, and I’m currently copying all the other installs from steamapps/common to the new steamapps/common.

When that’s done, will Steam notice these new installs when I fire it up, or will I need to go through and “install” each one again?

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4BD4-4528-6B2E-8327#exist

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Preloading seems pointless unless you have very slow internet. It's going to take an hour+ to decrypt the files anyway, even on an 8-core PC.

The performance bottleneck is simultaneously reading and writing to the same disk, core count is irrelevant.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ideally Steam would allow you to preload to one Steam library and then decrypt to another but having multiple Steam libraries is probably rare enough that it isn't worth the effort.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can create multiple Steam Libraries on different disks. Preloading to a library on one disk and then decrypting to a library on another disk would maximize performance, but so few Steam users have multiple Steam libraries that it probably isn't worth the effort for Valve to implement this and come up with a UI to explain it to people like you who don't understand the concept.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also (good) SSDs massively improve the situation over spinny disks due to the lack of seeking and massively huge read/write speeds but reading and writing the same disk is still a performance bottleneck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dr.acula posted:

I bought the Ukraine bundle but I've never used itch before. When I open the app it doesnt show me owning any of the games :confused:

You need to go to https://itch.io/my-purchases/bundles and add specific games to your library.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Whats the deal with these fucks thinking that a grocery store is a place to pick up women? I've seen this numerous times now.

They're forced to overcome their agoraphobia to go to the grocery store because everybody has to eat and the women who work there are paid to be polite to them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Space Robot posted:

I'd also like to take this time to ask why some men seem to think that telling a women that they "look European" is a decent come on, I've gotten that one several times now.

It's because they're white supremacists.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

there's so many games in that humble bundle that steam locked me out of redeeming keys temporarily because i was doing too many

LOL same. It appears to not like redeeming more than 50 keys in 30 minutes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Other way around, the Unreal store/updater came first and morphed into EGS. There was a point at the very beginning where the Unreal Store had Shadow Complex and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oxenfree just got a content patch in advance for the sequel and they patched in a story-relevant NG+ a while ago so it's probably worth playing again.