Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm lovin boomer shooters atm and i'm replaying quake for the first time since i was 6 years old. i also played ion fury, dusk, amid evil, project warlock, the old doom games and liked or loved them all. other than quake 2 does anyone have suggestions for more? due to severe personality issues i don't want to play anything on early access, i've got like six of them wishlisted for when they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hwurmp posted:

play Unreal Gold and Strife: Veteran Edition if you've never played those
also play Overload

will do, thanks.

ZearothK posted:

Kind of old, but since you're playing Q1&2, Serious Sam and Painkiller Black kind of fit there, though I wouldn't say they are as good as the revival or the classic games, but for a while they were what we had. Unreal 1 is kind of in the liminal area between Quake 2 and Half-Life, but it is definitely closer to the former than the latter.

Edit: Oh yeah, Overload owns

i played painkiller when the zero punctuation review for it came out so i must have it on steam somewhere. i can barely remember it. i'm gonna give the serious sam games a look too, they've been on my radar for a while. thank you.

e: overload looks very cool, that's a solid rec.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mordja posted:

As someone who only really got into that particular style of shooter a few years ago and has no real nostalgia for that subgenre (my blind spot is towards more linear experiences like Half Life), Blood really is among the best of them. Just don't be afraid to customize the difficulty to your liking and know that it's got a pretty tough start.

Otherwise there are a few early access ones that will probably be out fairly soon, the most notable being Wrath and Prodeus, so you might wanna keep your eye on them.

i'm definitely gonna pick up blood, and in general i like playing difficult games so no problem on that front. though quake was very rude when i tried to play it on hard and kept getting owned by two shamblers in a row on level, like, 3.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Orv posted:

There are legit third party key sites, the things listed on isthereanydeal.com are all legitimate ones and not grey market. Grey market sites, ones not listed on isthereanydeal, are not necessarily always selling keys bought with stolen credit cards or something like that, but the chances are good they are and your key might get revoked. The devs also see nothing from those sites. Recommended to avoid those ones.

buy grey market keys for games whose devs you hate. and all AAA games. it's a win/win.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i had no idea sir alonne was designed for co op. what makes you say that? i didn't find him that hard solo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
how healthy is the online community for soul calibur 6? it's very cheap rn and i've played so much tekken already.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

municipal shrimp posted:

Slipways is out today. I know it bills itself as a 4x in 30 minutes but really it's more of a fun puzzle game of resource management. You connect planets to each other via trade routes that cannot cross. Each planet requires certain certain resources to output other resources. At first a planet may only require one resource to output but after that is met and the planet is also successfully exporting resources it will level up. Your goal is to level up as many planets as you can to their max level in a fixed number of turns. Eventually you will able to to create wild card resources and warp gates that let you break the rules of the game which add even more wrinkles into the puzzle. It reminds me a lot of a solo board game. I found that games typically lasted closer to an hour but you can pause and quit or to resume st any time. I played 3 or 4 hours of the demo and I really enjoyed it. It's great for playing while you're watching something else or listening to a podcast.

it's one of those games that knows exactly what it wants to do and it does it exceptionally well. i also ended up getting hooked on the demo big time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jokymi posted:

It doesn't sound good!

Highlights from that article:
- The only available resolutions are 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The only way to switch between them is by using the Steam launch options menu.
- Zero keyboard/mouse support
- This fun note from the developers:

that's a bummer. i tried to play ninja gaiden when i was a young child and didn't make it past the first room of enemies. i really wanted to play it again.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Artelier posted:

I looked up videos of this and I can't really understand what kind of game it is. Retro graphics FPS but not arcadey - has objectives and it looks like you can plan stuff? Not sure if it's doing a whole new thing or if it's cribbing from an older game I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe retro graphics isn't quite the right word but it is definitely a look alright.

it's like a tactical fps. every mission you're told to kill one or more people and then find the level exit. there's tons of different ways to go about this, the levels are generally enormous and sprawling and full of weird things and secrets and terrifying enemies. the game knows it's a game, knows that you know it's a game, and so messes with your expectations and its rules very freely. movement feels amazing and only gets better with the more hideous and disgusting bio mods you buy and install into yourself. it looks ugly as gently caress until you play it for a bit. then it looks great.

no setpieces, no walk and chats, no compromising fun for the sake of realism with five second animations for picking up an egg. just gameplay. it's hard to explain the exact feeling you get but it's kinda like when you pull off something really sick and unexpected that the game clearly didn't account for. cruelty squad feels like it doesn't account for anything, it just lets you try whatever you want.

definitely one to try to see if you like it, there's nothing like it.

well haha good luck.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've got prodeus on my wishlist and ready to buy the second it fully releases (along with gloomwood, wrath, ultrakill, hrot, a bunch of other FPS games) since my brain worms won't let me play games in EA and all the new boomer shooters seem to be there.

speaking of FPS's though i started playing doom eternal for free* on gamepass and it's hard as gently caress but really drat fun.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mescal posted:

Looking at my wishlist

potral 2 - $2
icewind dale - $6
bulletstorm - 4
elderborn - $8

That's twenty bucks, so I think I can afford one more expensive game. Do you think I would get more play time out of Sekiro, Wasteland 3, or Hades?

sekiro and hades are both excellent. sekiro is hard as balls while hades is explicitly designed to become easier as you keep playing, if that helps.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
outer wilds is constantly making me poo poo my pants despite having zero enemies. parking your spaceship on something going very fast through space is nerve-wracking.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i get why people don't like it, i think i would hate it if i didn't love space so much (and if you couldn't easily get to wherever you need to go by flicking on autopilot and roleplay as a stoner astronaut for a minute or two)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Stux posted:

anyone who pays that much for those games, is truly beyond saving

i hope they sell 10 million copies

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm actually not really having much trouble with him (yet?). I've only given it a couple of tries so far and like you say, a Greatshield nulls most of his attacks completely. When I play tonight I'm going to change my armor so I can dodge quicker and out of the way of his frost breath attack cause that's unblockable and the slow rolling doesn't cut it. But overall I don't expect to have that much trouble with this one, I was more using him as an example for a tanky boss because even the ones that are relatively easy in terms of their attack patterns seem to take so long to put away that I eventually die through attrition. So I assumed I'm lacking damage, but my weapons are upgraded about as much as they can be at this stage of the game, and I've put most of my levels into damage, so... :shrug:

Then the other one I've got on my plate is Dragonslayer Armour, and that's another that feels relatively easy and I'm irritated with myself that I haven't beaten it yet. Frankly rolling off the bridge accidentally is as big a danger as the boss itself in this case, but even still he sometimes one-shots me, which is why I asked about upgrading armor. Cause I'm already using some of the heaviest armor I've found so far. The extra i-frames from that ring help a lot in this one.

This one and Aldrich are both fights that have felt easy to me and yet I've found myself dying to them too often and, notably, too soon into the fight, which is why I wondered if there's maybe something wrong with my build - just that nagging feeling that I really should not be having this much trouble with them.

I suppose it could also be a psychological thing, or too much Dark Souls over the past few months. Maybe I'm just out of form. :v:

I will keep this in mind.

dark souls 3 is way harder than the first two. i haven't played it with a shield but given that bosses frequently attack in rapid succession and then give you a brief window to smack them, i get the feeling that they designed the game with dodge rolls in mind rather than blocking. i played it with a fat two hander (vordt's and a murakamo) and lots of VIT, that seemed very strong once i got the dodge patterns down because the weapon just melted most of the bosses and i had enough VIT to take a few hits without dying.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
these anglerfish can suck my dark bramble

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

deep dish peat moss posted:

The first and only time I played SNKRX I built a party of all warrior-types and got some relic that let me bounce off the walls (I think? Something like that). I was able to beat most levels by literally taking my hands off the keyboard and letting it play itself, and the remaining three-ish levels I beat by steering straight into enemies because I was a blender of aoe damage, bump damage, and massive damage resist. And that was all just from the way the warrior-type units are designed, and only using the basic ones you see right at the start of the game with none of the expensive advanced units. No relic synergies or anything.

I can't bring myself to play it again after that :effort:

it goes all the way up to new game plus five - the first difficulty is very easy, i beat it on my first run as well. it gets a lot harder.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Serephina posted:

How about Mass Effect 1? I know everyone and their dog has played it, and someone gifted me the original (non-legendary), but I got about 20 seconds in before the first character I talked to started expositing to me at length. Um, is the shooting/storytelling worth this?

it's archaic in every sense - the gameplay, the story and how it's told, the hilarious renegade/paragon system, the bioware™ bang any member of your party power fantasy, etc.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you might as well just play alpha protocol if you want to play an old game that feels like poo poo to play for the story, it actually got close to delivering the plot reactivity the mass effect games promised.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
rdr2 wastes so much of your time. press and hold button to ride to the mission start, press and hold button to ride to where you're going while someone talks at you, do a thing, press and hold button lots of time to loot everything, press and hold button to ride to wherever you're going next. you can't even drive your car at warp speed through traffic to make going places fun like in GTA.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just sounds like it wasn’t your guys’ cup of tea, which is fair enough. It’s slow and ambling because it’s a classic Western. It’s not “wasting your time”, that’s the game, take it or leave it. It’s all in the tone the game is trying to set, and there are parts where that stumbles like forcing you to walk slowly to cross the camp, but the dialogue and travel is the core of the game. I hate how restrictive the actual missions can be and some of the aforementioned fiddly inventory, but otherwise loved it.

More games ought to not appeal to everyone and do weird poo poo to stick to a vision. I’d sooner live in a world of Deadly Premonitions, Death Strandings, Red Dead Redemption 2s, Disco Elysiums and Cruelty Squads than the same few rote templates done well.

It’s particularly an issue in the strategy game space, where so many folks just want the same hex and counter bullshit being all the old grognards tend to go for. Give me more poo poo like Radio Commander and Radio General, where you have no bloody clue where your troops are unless they tell you, more like Scourge of War and Command Ops where order delegation and lag is a thing, and more like the board game Churchill where you’re not commanding troops, but arguing over resources with America and Russia, and the war plays itself.

rdr2 is stock rote rockstar game design, just with more bells and whistles. the game has less freedom in how you approach its missions than gta 3.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
is escape velocity nova the top down spaceship game where one of the storylines has you indentured as some kind of mind-controlled slave soldier and you break down and start crying after one of the missions? i remember playing that a lot of years ago.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Insert name here posted:

You took the cargo mission to Earth didn't you

this sounds so insanely familiar that it must be what i'm thinking of. time to go into space.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like how in the video they never showed the guy having to move the right stick and press a button at the same time

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Khanstant posted:

To be fair, The Switch, Most DSs, Most 3DSs, GameGear, and the original Gameboy all were uncomfortable too, handhelds kind of suck for comfort.

the joycons are poo poo but the ds and 3ds were very comfortable imo. i had small child hands when i had a gameboy so i can't comment on that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ghostrunner is sick but if you don't enjoy dying lots and lots of times to perfect your run through a room full of the nastiest bullshit then it's not gonna be for you. the first boss level killed me 198 times and it took me 30 minutes or so to beat for an average of 9 seconds per death.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you need to be constantly moving or you're going to die, yeah, in the beginning you get some leeway but towards the second half of the game it's top speed all the time. one of the things you have to adjust to is to time your strafe so that the enemy has already fired before you dash, you can hang out in the slow motion strafe mode for a surprisingly long time. another thing is that your slash has a longer range than you think, mr. ghostrunner will compensate for a lot of distance when you press the kill button.

once you click with the game you really feel exactly like a mirror's edge samurai though, or at least i did. i wish the game had a replay feature like superhot because some of the poo poo you pull is really cool.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Alright, well, since nobody has ever had anything good to say about keystores it sounds like I should just avoid them entirely.

unless you're buying from scumbag devs and don't want to deal w the hassle of piracy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I recognized this game because at one point a goon posted in some thread in Games asking if anyone remembered the name of "that post apocalyptic meat game", but post-apocalyptic meat game Death Trash came out in EA today and it's good:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/941460/Death_Trash/

It's an ARPG homage to oldschool Fallout with the familiar dodge-and-manage-stamina combat system we're all so used to these days, also with guns and light crafting elements. The gimmick is that this post-apocalyptic world is infected with flesh. Just big heaping mounds of meat springing up out of the ground everywhere, and in some places becoming animated and turning into monsters. You play as a mysterious entity who was kicked out of the underground habitat you were in (i.e. Vault) for being 'infected' and you need to figure out what the hell you're infected with. Beyond that your first side quest is to find friends for a lonely Flesh Kraken pictured in the first screenshot below. Some elements are inspired by *Souls but Death Trash is impressively not trying to ape *Souls overall, it's actually a pretty interesting mashup of Fallout and *Souls that doesn't feel like a clone of either one. There's text and dialog and letters/books/etc with lore in them but not as much as a straight up RPG like Fallout.

I'm about an hour in and so far it's good. There's an overworld map and then zone maps like in Fallout, and if you die you just restart from the beginning of the zone map that you're in without losing resources so it maintains a bit of the "keep re-trying it until you nail the whole run" feel of Souls games without being the same old bonfire-to-bonfire romp. The combat felt too easy at first but then ranged enemies started showing up, then showing up in groups and it got more hectic. I hear there are about 2 hours of main story content right now and another ~3+ of side quests and this is allegedly about 1/4 the length of the full game. You can focus your build around melee, guns, occult magic, or cybertech magic, there's also a stat called Empathy which opens up special dialog options, and skills like Animalism to capture/interact with animalsmeat-creatures, Lockpicking, your standard small guns/big guns/energy weapons stuff, stealth, etc.

I'm pretty happy with EA in this case meaning "feature complete and just needs later chapters added" rather than a barely functioning prototype like today's other release Starmancer turned out to be :v:

It's pretty aesthetically crude, and not just the visuals - there's a dedicated puke button for example and another early quest is about helping someone get some emesis-inducing berries so he can win a competition with someone else to see who can puke more :shrug: But it's not offensively in-your-face about it. It tries to be humorous in the same way Fallout was - like it's not throwing jokes at you constantly but there's a consistent, recurring theme of just going "heh, oh yeah, that's what this world is like" and while I wouldn't exactly call it a 'funny' game, so far there's nothing I've seen that has just really not stuck.

e: I bought it on EGS because when I searched on Steam it didn't come up - turns out that was because I set Steam to stop showing me porn games, and this game is tagged as nudity & sexual content because of the naked man you can see in one of the screenshots in this post :pwn: But I just found out it's on Steam too so I edited the link in my post seeing as this is the Steam thread

i think there's still a demo available, that's what convinced me to buy it as soon as it's in 1.0.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

OzFactor posted:

At the risk of opening up the wormiest of cans of worms, Fallout 4 with all the DLC is on sale for ten bucks. Like any rational person I love New Vegas and I quite liked 3 even with its flaws. I am not a person who is particularly attached to Fallout lore (I didn't play the first games until way after they were canonized and thought they were mostly fine). Was the initial criticism of 4 from crazy Fallout people, or is it legitimately just not very good?

it's a good explore and loot and shoot game. the plot is truly wretched and your character sounds dumb as gently caress 100% of the time but skip all of the dialogue and just follow the map/quest markers and you'll have a decent time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Ⓑ HATE NEWSPAPERS

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

that is loving nuts. i oh so badly want a new vegas type game in this world.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

OzFactor posted:

So, I'm playing Blasphemous and so far it's rad as heck, but, like, is there some point at which I'm going to have any remote idea as to what the gently caress is going on? I am through the first three bosses and I got their... things... and now I'm fighting the censor-hammer dude on the bridge who is kicking my rear end (I got real close last time, I should be fine). But, uh, why am I doing these things?

yeah but also not really.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i gotta play blasphemous again, i never played the DLC and now i'm remembering what a truly excellent game it is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Trickyblackjack posted:

Speaking of Humble Choice actually being good, I finished Paradise Killer from a couple of bundles ago and thought it was fantastic. It's a ...VN with exploration...game in which you play detective investigation freak Lady Love Dies. As her, you are liberated from a 3 million-day exile to solve a mass murder, investigating immortals and demons, searching for clues or just artifacts that drip-feed really creative lore. It oozes a sort of surreal style that mixes a night club with a lot of mythology and blood-letting. It's really upbeat, but also pretty bleak. I got really strong vibes of "Invisibles" or "The Filth" Grant Morrison. Don't skip this one.

it's a good game and for gamer brain fuel addicts like myself you get an air dash and a double jump to whiz around with which is really fun.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also the best thing about it is the things you gradually uncover about the society it takes place in. and what your role is in it. without patronising you with paragon / renegade style decisions.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the one downside is that you can manipulate the trial really easily so that it will come to any conclusion to want. well, that and the random spot in the ground in the middle of nowhere you have to dig up to figure out what actually happened.

that's true but at the same time there's a very clear correct outcome for the game - you can start the trial at any time, but why would you, since replaying the game will be 99% the same so you might as well investigate everything. that gameplay premise didn't really work for me but the mystery and world of the game is extremely compelling so i didn't care.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwCsMFiblc

game's out. if you played the demo it's even better. if you haven't played it you should try it. it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think it was only for one of the game festival things, but the game takes all of 2 minutes to teach you the controls and then it's go time, you'll know if it's for you well within the refund window.