Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I actually pulled the trigger on Hood on account of a friend's urging and... it was actually pretty alright? I haven't really run into any glitchy backstabs so far, since regular attacks track a lot and being in an attack animation seems to provide some protection. Even against the dedicated assassin class I seemed to win more often than not just by pre-emptively hammering her in the face.

It is true though that the stealth aspect is only marginally present in the first half of a round. Raising an alarm is not really much of a big deal, and with few exceptions you can pretty much just carve through NPC guards face-first as long as you stick together. Once the loot gets grabbed it proceeds to basically a full-on king of the hill style deathmatch. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, we've had a few really fun tight moments trying to winch the loot to safety while desperately keeping the enemy away just one more second.

That said, we've only been at it for a few hours, so who knows how it'll turn out in the longer term. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I want to play a game with good exploration. Preferably in a ship or spaceship or something, but not confined to that, and where the ship is an actual thing that develops in some way over the course of the game. I want to find weird supernatural mysteries or ancient alien artifacts or something.

Outer Wilds would fit that almost perfctly, to the point where you've probably already played it. But if you haven't, absolutely do give it a try, it's excellent. Apart from that, No Man's Sky is also in a very decent shape by now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft always likes to trade in the imagery of real-world geopolitics while remaining as vague as possible. Sometimes that results in a somewhat interesting story, but most of the time it's just a confused and indeterminate mess of various political iconography. Being surprised by this is like being surprised that the newest Blizzard storyline features corruption as a major theme.

Also, the last time they were specific about it, they caused an actual international incident by mishandling it so badly:

quote:

The Bolivian government has sent a formal complaint to the French embassy about Ubisoft’s Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands. In the complaint, interior Minister Carlos Romero says that the game unfairly portrays the country under the control of a drug cartel, Reuters reports.

Wildlands launches next week. In its fiction, a powerful Mexican drug cartel swoops in and turns the country into a “narco-state,” holding sway over the government and its people. Bolivia, one of the largest producers of coca leaf in the world, becomes the largest producer of cocaine, virtually overnight, making $2 billion a week.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/14801948/bolivia-complains-to-french-embassy-ghost-recon-wildlands

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

The length, linearity and moddability were not the main problem. The writing was really bad was and them remaking and artificially restricting themselves to look and play like a Bethesda open world RPG made no sense if they were making a new game from scratch.

Yeah, it just felt very tonally dissonant. Early on, it goes for an extremely satirical, even farcical tone, where you have mortally wounded soldiers quoting advertising slogans to you because it's in their contract. Which in principle would've been fine, if they'd stuck to it. But then they quickly compromise it in an attempt for a semi-genuine morality tale, which doesn't really have much of an impact. How does the game expect me to care about the oppression of NPC A, when just minutes earlier I watched NPCs B through K get mutilated basically just for a quick laugh?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xander77 posted:

No, I meant Mordhau. As in, you could build a... loadout that had stuff to do beyond "hit dude with sword" (axe) (hammer) - traps, bows, support, medic, engineer etc.

It's not immediately apparent, but Chivalry 2 has much the same abilities, just as an integral part of the various classes. For example, Chiv 2 has an "Engineer" class that does double damage to structures (including destructible objectives like castle gates) and can deploy bear traps and palisades. Other classes can do things like throw medkits, plant a healing banner on the ground, throw fire bombs, deploy sharpened stakes that damage enemies, and so on. Some of these are available from the get-go, others are abilities that you charge up as you play and earn points.

The main difference in terms of playstyle is that Chiv 2 is more streamlined. It is very discrete in what the various actions like block, kick, and counter do, distilling them down to essentially a rock-papers-scissors system with a sort of initiative system like many fighting games have. Usually when you get hit, it's very easy to look back and recognize why that has happened. Mordhau by comparison is more freeform, giving you more potential tricksy ways to get around the enemy defense through feints or fakeouts, but is in turn somewhat harder to read. Sometimes you just completely get poo poo on by some gimmick without getting an attack in edgewise, and you can hardly tell what you're even supposed to do about it at first.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Canopus250 posted:

What are some good tactics/squad games options on steam? I just finished another heavily modded run of X-com 2 and am relatively clueless as to what else is out there from the last three years or so. I also really enjoyed the smaller scope of Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad as well.

I'm down with fantasy/sci-fi/comteporary as long as the characters or plot have something to them. I already own Troubleshooters apparently and didn't love the first hour or two of Fae Tactics. Real time stuff like Desperados 3 was solid but I prefer a turn based or initiative system over real time.

Any suggestions out there?

There's Phantom Doctrine, which about spies getting up to spy poo poo in the cold war. It puts a somewhat stronger emphasis on stealth, a bit like X-Com 2 except more, while the story is mostly about figuring out a big old conspiracy. It's fairly jank, but does offer a few fun twists on the genre.

Edit: Oh yeah, Warhammer Mechanicus is very good as well.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Terra Nil just dropped a demo, though the release date is still TBA. The devs describe it as a "reverse city builder", as it's basically about repairing a post-apocalyptic wasteland by planting forests, creating swamps, irrigating rivers, and so on. Similar to Dorfromantik, it seems to focus on being very relaxing and comfy, and even just the demo is succeeding at it really nicely. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593030/Terra_Nil/

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

40k Battlesector looks to be a solid tactics game. The commander units seem to have quite deep skill trees and while it's not in the demo, I know there's supposed to be some kind of weapon customization for your squads. There's a slight disconnect between the quality of the models and environments (around DOW2 level) and the animations (below DOW2 level) but it's no dealbreaker. You can give multiple units different orders at the same time, so it's pretty snappy for a TBS. As far as I know it's just Blood Angels and 'Nids, but with a generic name like "Battlesector" I wonder if they have plans to expand down the line.

Aw hell. I was actually also pretty taken with that demo, but I didn't realise it was only those two factions (plus I guess a Sororitas unit?). Probably gonna give it a pass unless some more factions come down the pipe. Boring-rear end Space Marines always have to get all the attention :arghfist::saddowns:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Industries of Titan is very fleshed out now, but i'm not sure if I really enjoy it. There is alot of spinning plates involved and some of the mechanics, such as power management, are frustrating rather than interesting.

Yeah. The gimmick of being able to design your own buildings is pretty cool at first, but after a while it ends up a bit superfluous once you figured out your favourite layouts for a given purpose. When I just need some extra power I'd like to be able to just plop down a power building, and not have to build a new factory (floor), wait for it to finish, then fill it up with various generators and fuel fabricators. The game really needs a "copy current floor layout functionality, and it's weird that it doesn't seem to have one at this stage.

Now, it does have some dedicated buildings for power generation etc. available as well, but those are locked behind a fairly lengthy grind. Clearly the idea is for you to make do with self-made buildings until you're too rich to have to care about such things, but currently that's kind of a pain.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In terms of Subnautica-likes, there's also Breathedge. It's a bit more story-focused and environment is not quite as expansive, but it still is heavily focused on crafting and survival. Personally I kinda bounced off of it, but that's not so much failing of the the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deakul posted:

Nosgoth was unironically fun as gently caress and I'm still sad that it died, reminded me a little of the Vampire Slayer mod for HL1 way back in the day.

Yeah, it was something really quite unique. I loved flapping around as one of the winged vamps, swooping down on unsuspecting hunters and dunking them from great height. Worked maybe once out of every five attempts, but it was so drat satisfying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's even better now that they've patched out the few annoyances that were present near release (e.g. everything being ORANGE as gently caress). It's excellent and I easily enjoyed it as much as the "real" Ace Combat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Palpek posted:

Fun fact - Alpha Protocol still sold way better than Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadifre.

It's so weird that I can't get into Deadfire. Everything about it sounds like something I should love: Pirates! Ship Battles! Ship customization! Good writing! A unique setting! Dual-wielding pistols! Big hats!

And yet, every time I do try it, I end up dropping off after a few hours. Perhaps it's just too dang wide.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trickyblackjack posted:

Gris
The opposite of La-Mulana. A very simple platformer that is really just a showcase for absolutely gorgeous art and music. Look at a screenshot and if the idea of immersing yourself in that world to experience feelings of wonder and mild melancholia for a few hours seems at all appealing, then go for it. I loved it.

Absolutely seconding this. Relaxing, very pretty, with an incredible soundtrack.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, comparing it to Days Gone is actually an interesting exercise because like Mad Max the first 5-10 hours are like "Cool, this is pretty fun', and also like Mad Max you're doing the exact same thing for the entire game... but I was very, very thoroughly done with Days Gone about 10-15 hours before it was finished, and I never hit comparable frustration with Mad Max.

I wonder if part of the difference is that Mad Max is a single game loop, and Days Gone is basically a really neat zombie tech demo taped to a subpar cover shooter.

Yeah, the pacing of Days Gone feels very weird. You've got stretches of sort of loving around followed by story missions coming one after another at a breakneck pace. It's also loving long. I'm about 10 hours in now, and while those were legitimately fun and good, I'm reaching the point where it feels like I've kinda seen it all and done it all. With other games, this would be the point where it could comfortably head into the endgame without feeling rushed. But in this game, it feels like I've only just gotten out of the prologue.

Also, having the protagonist be an actual slaver sure is, uh... a decision.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kagrenac posted:

5e D&D also has extremely simple and limited character creation to the point where some fighter levels didn't have a single option.

It's still a great game from what I played of the first act but it's not the D:OS 3 I was hoping it would be.

They shoulda used D&D fourth edition. Dumb nerds kept complaining that it felt too videogamey, so why not use it for that purpose for once? :arghfist::saddowns:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Well this is certainly an opinion.

I was gonna say, I don't think I've ever played a game that has thrown more pointless annoyances at me than RDR 2. In Death Stranding, the difficulties during traversal were directly tied to its gameplay mechanics, with the game giving you several tools to work with and around them. In RDR 2 it feels like all the various simulationalist tidbits just exist to waste your time, getting in your way rather than meshing with the gameplay.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just sounds like it wasn’t your guys’ cup of tea, which is fair enough. It’s slow and ambling because it’s a classic Western. It’s not “wasting your time”, that’s the game, take it or leave it. It’s all in the tone the game is trying to set, and there are parts where that stumbles like forcing you to walk slowly to cross the camp, but the dialogue and travel is the core of the game. I hate how restrictive the actual missions can be and some of the aforementioned fiddly inventory, but otherwise loved it.

The main issue I have here is that I'd say it's "wasting time" not because the story and its presentation is slow-paced, but because the game's very mechanics make you jump through time-consuming hoops for no good reason. It's one thing if a story mission just takes a while to get to the point. If things take long for that reason, that's generally fair enough.

Where it veers into "wasting time" is in purely mechanical things like "my horse ran away and is out of whistling range and now I have to run after its dumb rear end", or "gotta run back to my horse cause the game automatically unequipped my weapons", or "This mission by design left me without a horse in the middle of nowhere, better hope I find somebody to murder for their horse soon", or "some missions automatically fast-travel you back to camp, some don't, and it's never the ones you want to". Nothing kills immersion more quickly than the realization of "this is annoying and I don't wanna do it".

To put another way, if you just put the various story bits in a row in the vein of a movie, it could well make a nice atmospheric, slow-paced western story (presumably. Personally I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters after 10 hours playtime). Where it really falls apart for me is basically everything inbetween.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Man, weird to realize I might not be excited for a CoH 3. The Relic of CoH 1 is long gone and even the people who worked on 2 and DoW 3 have probably mostly moved on but Relic does not inspire confidence in RTSes for me the way it used to.

Yeah, DoW3 poo poo the bed with such force that it's difficult to have any faith whether anybody over there still knows how to make good RTSs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea it owns

the only issue with it is it really starts to drag on

Yeah, at some point you end up having to do a lot of backtracking, and the game having no map of any sort (at least when I played it) really didn't help that. But still very fun for the first half or thereabouts.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn and the Frozen Wilds DLC yesterday. I ended up playing on easy because machines became too damage-spongey and I hated farming for blaze to make blast sling bombs. Even on easy, by the end of the campaign I was short on ammo for most of my favorite weapons. It was a 55 hour game and I did every side quest I came upon but ignored errands and hunting grounds. I hope the sequel has a better balance of enemy health and resource availability. I want Aloy to be like the Doom guy with plenty of ammo.

Yeah, that's what dragged it down for me as well. The first time you bring down a big machine through a mix of traps and weakpoints is very fun and cool, but then the game goes ahead and seems to expect similar time and effort for every single machine fight from there on out, which gets tedious in a hurry. Fortunately setting the difficulty to the lowest let me just breeze through the second half without any worry.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CarlCX posted:

This is extremely true and it's also why I ultimately got frustrated with the game. The combat is really involved and thoughtful, and that's cool, but it becomes less cool 50-60% through the game when you can regularly get into situations where walking from point A to point B gets you spotted by a Glinthawk, and that means you're fighting three Glinthawks, and the commotion aggroed a Watcher so now you're fighting two Watchers, and their fighting you alerted the herd they were protecting so now there's four Broadheads running around, and while rolling around avoiding them you fell into the path of a couple Sawtooths or Ravagers so now they're after you and just for shits and giggles somehow this pulled a Snapmaw from the nearby river.

It has this deep joy of cascading around you, and it's not that the combat is exactly HARD so much as you spend a lot more time dealing with it than you necessarily want to. Though it's also possible this being my second playthrough of the game I just have way less patience for it.

Yeah, that was one of my main complaints as well. Turning monster fights into basically miniboss encounters was pretty cool the first few times you went up against them. But when very nearly every single major fight and every bit of exploration devolves into such an encounter it really gets tedious eventually. In most games you first learn how to fight more involved enemies the long and hard way, and then as a reward you eventually get more powerful equipment to shortcut them. But with HZD that second part never seemed to happen. Fighting a ravager near the beginning of the game takes as long as fighting it twenty hours in, since the raw power of your weaponry doesn't seem to increase very much. At some point I just wanted to get on with it without having to chase weakpoints, juggle elements, or setting up a dozen traps every time.

Fortunately the game does have adjustable difficulty, so just turning that down to minimum let me breeze through the last act at a much more pleasant pace.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

victrix posted:

The Ascent is very good, with notable caveats. One that I'm playing it multiplayer and it feels like the combat was made for multiplayer. Two that it has substantial performance and other jank.

Yeah, I'm noticing this one as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to heal yourself aside from random medpacks dropped by enemies. In MP that's no trouble since you can just be revived if you go down, but in singleplayer you're just plain dead and have to reload. It's very easy to get attrited to death if you run into an unlucky stretch with no medpack drops.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

?

Is it bad? I've been interested, but haven't followed it very closely.

A semi-closed beta is currently going on, and it's... very 7/10. It's generally competent, but doesn't really capture what made Left 4 Dead so memorable. Nor does it manage to really iterate on the genre's core concepts. It's mostly a plain L4D clone with some bits and bobs bolted on to it, like a weapon attachment system. They also completely whiffed the PvP mode. For F2P game it'd be fine, as a full price title it's laughable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There was also a whole thing in Beyond: Two Souls where Elliot Page refused to do a nude scene, but Cage just put Page's ingame head model on a generic nude body and did the scene anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If they managed to get Skyrim VR to have an actually competent melee combat system like Blade and Sorcery, I'd put an absolutely unhealthy amount of playtime into that. But it seems unlikely that'll even happen on that engine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the advices on skyrim the other day. Helped me decide that I can probably skip it for now.

Got Prey. Any tips on where I should put my neuromods now that I've the manufacturing plan? I have most of the level 1 human upgrades and Suit II and Repair II. I don't have any alien mods installed and I don't want to install any until I have all of them revealed or know more, because I'm relying pretty heavily on the turrets and I don't want them to turn on me. I guess you can get two of the before that happens.

Fun game. It's the right amount of creepyscary. I play a true crime podcast while playing it to double the spoopy. I got it for the mooncrash dlc but I haven't launched that yet.

Note that even if you've got enough Typhon upgrades to trigger turrets, you can simply hack them to have them revert back to recognizing you as friendly. On that note, Hacking is basically the prime "I don't wanna bother with this riddle" skill, opening up a huge number of doors that would ordinarily require some more work to get open. However, it's also almost never strictly necessary, you can get almost everywhere through creative use of mimic/repair/GLOO/scavenging.

Apart from that, I'd recommend getting at least one offensive Energy power, since those tend to hit enemy weaknesses and help a lot with saving on ammo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

RDR2 is the most gorgeous game I've ever played and yet I just can't bring myself to actually play it.

It's a game that had immense effort put into every single aspect, except for the actual gameplay. I've found the online mode to be quite a bit more fun (provided you have people to play it with), but the singleplayer is essentially dead to me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

What exactly is there to do with friends online? Every time I poke my head into the online part I kinda have no idea what to do and the fun sounding stuff costs money to do. Are any of those DLC jobs worth buying if I'm looking for some co-op content with a friend?

There are a some story missions you can do cooperatively, the available selection depends on whether your reputation is good or bad. Apart from that, the Blood Money activities (can be first found/unlocked in St. Denis) are free and offer a decently wide range of things to do, from simple coach robberies to more involved multi-step schemes to properly scripted heists. If you're willing to spend money (or grind up the gold ingame, which is not as bad as it looks at first), the Bounty Hunter role probably offers the most meat to it, with about a bunch of scripted "legendary bounty" missions in addition to generic generated bounty hunts. Lastly there are a fair few PVP activities, which aren't exactly my favourite but fun enough to have a go at every now and then.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

As a kid I saw an Aliens toy that was a space marine whose specialty was dressing up like an alien to infiltrate hives. It's the sort of thing that was so loving stupid that it instantly became awesome... I was really bummed out when I actually saw Aliens and realized the toy was 100% Kenner or Mattel or whomever.

For what it's worth, one of the Aliens comics did get fairly close to that idea:

It's an android with a xenomorph-shaped body

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mescal posted:

What level hacking do you need?

Level 2, IIRC, which is also generally nice to have for a variety of doors and terminals that may not have another way of opening them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PlushCow posted:

Great news. I played a ton of Armada with friends, can’t remember how armada 2 was.

Armada 2 is basically more of the same, in a good way. More ships, more factions, more campaigns, more abilities. If you liked the first one you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy the sequel, too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Ever since Black Flag led to nothing but a perpetually delayed multiplayer game that will probably go nowhere if it ever actually releases we have been sorely deprived of games with sailing boats.

I am still so mad that Naval Action turned from a perfectly fine World of Tanks Sailboats style game into a tedious, empty, open-world MMO. :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anno posted:

Possible new contender for “best kicks in an Arkane game and by extension all of gaming”:

https://twitter.com/KonaYMA6/status/1437394834290102276

Goddamn, that gives me Dark Messiah flashbacks in the best way :feelsgood:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

What's that russiajank series that's basically a JA spiritual successor?

There's one called "7,62" with various subtitles, are you thinking of that?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/289890/762_High_Calibre/

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's bizarre but my impression from the Back 4 Blood beta was basically a mediocre L4D clone.

And yes, I'm aware that it's from the original devs. It's still the impression I had while playing it. Somehow.

Yeah, that's really the most damning critique that occurred to me. It's releasing more than 10 years after L4D2 and bills itself as a spiritual successor, but it's not actually substantially better than L4D2 in any way. In fact it's significantly worse in some areas, especially when it comes to versus. Sure, you could probably have some decent fun with it with friends, but it's very nearly guaranteed that you'll have more fun playing L4D2 instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gort posted:

I always think RPG makers go the wrong way by frontloading all this character creation stuff to the very first parts of their game.

I'm going to play your hundred-hour RPG one time. Maybe 1.2 times, if I feel I screwed up my character or to try out a different build after I finish. I don't need a million character classes, prestige classes, subclasses and races, I just need one that's good to play as. Have a few different choices, (EG: Male and female Commander Shepard, do I want my Geralt to mostly lean on magic, bombs or swords) but it's much better to have a few differences in the player character that you really lean into and represent in the gameplay than a million choices - you're just opening yourself up to a balance nightmare and a terrible new user experience, and all the choices you worked on that I didn't pick when making my character were wasted time.

Use all the time you just saved from creating and balancing 1,000 character options to make the remaining options impactful and make the party members have cool custom powers.

Yeah. I've played a fair amount of TTRPGs in my time, though not Pathfinder specifically, and even with that foreknowledge the character generation was borderline meaningless. You've got a billion options, but absolutely no context about how significant any of their features are. Is 1d6 damage a lot in this system? How often will a certain favoured enemy type come up? Is a +1 modifier to a save significant or meaningless? How often can I expect to have a full rest? All of that is information that you'd only have after playing for a while, so putting it right at the start is basically the worst time. At least there's a respec option, but it's still a rough intro to the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pentyne posted:

Warhammer 40k games are usually a mix of mobile trash and amazing, how are the ones in this bundle?

- Battlefleet Gothic is a very faithful adaption of the boardgame, and really quite good fun. They nailed the aesthetics and scale very well, ramming an enemy cruiser in half with your battleship never gets old. The campaign is solid enough, though it really shines in multiplayer (preferably with friends) when you can gently caress around with the various factions.

- Deathwing had a very rough launch, but was whipped into decent shape by now. It's a pretty good L4D-like for the most part, and once again has a great eye for the aesthetics. It's very solid fun to play in MP with friends, but the solo mode is kinda bad since the bots you get given aren't much help.

- The Space Wolf one I haven't played, can't say.

So tl;dr: If you've got friends to play them with it's a good pick, if you're just looking for something singleplayer it's not too hot unless you really dig 40k.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I'd love to hear if there was anything of note about DD's development other than the corpse thing. People lost their fuckin' minds about that one single change despite it being completely fair and reasonable. (And they subsequently let you toggle them off if it really bothered you that much.)

All of the stuff in DD that comes off as obnoxious to me is from the DLCs anyway. But even then, it's in the same ballpark as XCOM 2 where WotC adds 50 new ways for things to go horribly wrong too.

As someone who only played it post-release and dropped it fairly quickly: It was just too drat long. Like, I'd done a fair couple of expeditions, built up a squad and a half to high level, killed three or four bosses. Then I went to the guy who keeps track of your overall progress and was surprised to see that apparently I'd only just about finished about 10% of the game. Now, presumably a fair bit of that content would be optional, but I had no way of telling how much would be optional and how much part of the main story. And frankly the gameplay was already starting to wear thin for me at that point.

In the context of EA, I could see it working well: Your players finish what content is there, put the game down for a few weeks/months, and when the next update includes a new dungeon they'll pick up and go through just the new content. But when you pick up the game as a whole thing after release for the first time, the sheer amount of stuff in there feels overwhelming and kinda kills the pacing.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ripper Swarm posted:

I just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn! Some thoughts:

- gently caress Ted Faro

Good game.

Every time :allears:

gently caress Ted Faro.