Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I go to a game in my game library, in shows my friends' achievements. How do I hide these? It's awesome going to a game I just bought and having it spoiled because the achievements reveal the plot.

When I google how to do it, it just brings up pages on how to hide my own achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Steam Settings > Library > Disable Community Content.

Tried this, and they still appear. It appears above the community content area. Or maybe it does filter it but it doesn't stop previously loaded crap from loaded. Sheesh, Steam

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I bought this on a whim from this thread and it's the scariest game I've ever played and really loving hard. I feel like I need cheat codes to progress.

"um, you should talk to a therapist"
"You should take the drugs your psychiatrist gives you"
"Having your heart ripped out sucks, I'll let you know what to do when I figure it out myself"
:smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

I'm not really clear on how or whether it's going to interweave into the core concept yet. I have some speculation but it gets into spoilers.

Physically, it's kind of like they just added another planet to the solar system, with a bunch of cool poo poo and mysteries to figure out (but in a way that makes sense as it why it wasn't there before).

Well, not completey makes sense, but plausibly deniable. New area looks cool, wonder how deep it goes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I just bought Records of Lodoss war: Deedlit in wonder labyrinth (what a title!) from a steam sale. Saw this run at last SGDQ but skipped most of the run because I immediately thought I want to play it myself and to avoid spoilers. Took a while! But as an avid Metroidvania fan it looked like just my thing.

Incidentally, lately I've been going through the games in the Castlevania: Advance collection, and Deedlit might have to wait until I finish with Aria of Sorrow, but at least there's some interesting stuff in the backlog (still need to play Harmony of Dissonance too)

I really liked Deedlit in Wonder labyrinth. A very nice SotN clone, though it was not difficult by any stretch. Don't think I ever died while beating it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

Well, a couple of rungs down in popularity:

Solasta: Crown of the Magister just came out and is getting good buzz.

I really like this game. Played it for free on Game pass, then made another group and beat it again. Very faithful adaption of 5e mechanics, for better and for worse. Carry out a plan flawlessly! Completely get slaughtered because nobody in your party can roll higher than a 5 on a D20.

The voice acting is my favorite part of this game. Skilled writing? Funny? Memorable or quirky characters? NOPE. Every line is delivered straight by non voice actors. It's so amateur and non-pretentious it's actually charming.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I got The Forgotten City over the weekend… and already beat it? At least, I got one of the endings (2). I kinda wanna go back and get the others. It’s kinda weird though, since there’s no new game + it looks like I just have to reload a save. Which means the revelations I got from my ending can’t really influence the world, like I can’t confront certain people with the information I gathered from that ending. Also, that ending required rescuing someone, so I guess i just have to leave them captured and walk away to continue playing? Just feels weird

There are 3 sub endings and then the "good" ending. Can't you just reload one of your saves? I think that's what I did when I got the easiest to get ending. The best ending (not a spoiler to you, but everyone else) you leave them captured, and do something else. It all works out in the end

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 5, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

The very first map of the board game campaign can easily exhaust you even if you think you're otherwise doing well simply because you either play too conservatively or burn too many cards for too little effect. The early Guildmaster maps are a lot more forgiving, often by being shorter length.

I bought Gloomhaven based on recommendations from other table top players, and I gotta say, if I didn't have someone at my table explaining how it worked, I would have quit after the first session. Even reading the book cover to cover doesn't prepare you for the first playthrough.

Are all of the classes implemented in the campaign, now?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not a walking simulator :P

The short of it is it's like outer wilds in that it's a time loop, but it keeps track of what you've done before, and everything you pick up comes with you.

Most of the puzzles aren't that hard, and you can beat it in an afternoon. If it's going to be on Game Pass, it's a great game to play for free,

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

More like Star New Valley :imunfunny:

Looks great though, for realsies.

This looks like Moonlighter and Reccetear. Both of which I enjoyed. I just hope it's an improvement on both of those. They get very repetitive near the end. Though, now that I think about it so does stardew

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 22, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you don't own Gloomhaven the board game, I would never recommend picking up the video game. I spent an hour and am not through he first scenario (it's just three rooms) and messed up buying my starting items. Whoops

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone play Imposter Factory?

Heard it takes place in the same world as the author's other works. Do I need to play them first?

Anyone have strong opinions on his other games? I have To The Moon, but never played it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't looked at the Steam store page on purpose in years

God, I'd have so much more money if I did that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed inscryption. I googled the metaplot because of the dangling loose ends, and connecting the loose ends seemed like it would have been fun, but the payoff reveal is lame.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

Thanks for all the tips for Yakuza 0, all: it's definitely helping me with my journey.

Despite all the help, though, common battles on the street were incredibly frustrating affairs where I was fighting enemies that stuck together like glue and out-prioritized all my attacks with an endless barrage that stunlocked me to death. I mean, on one hand, I was like, yeah, I am playing on hard and this is a kind of realistic outcome of a 1-against-many fight where getting knocked down is death since they'll keep you down, and I should play strategically by always avoiding encirclements and forcing a 1-on-1 as much as possible, but it got to the point where I knew something had to be wrong: no common fight should be this egregious, hard or not. And sure enough, I found the solution: it was because I equipped the charismatic autobiography. Those damned yanki that gifted it to me!

Seriously, what a beginner's trap equipping that was: it honestly made me consider quitting the game forever when I really didn't want to, so I'm glad I figured it out. What bothers me the most, at the risk of sounding like sour grapes, is everyone is so smug and tutting victims like me about 'not reading the item description' as if it was incredibly obvious that it makes all enemies turn into gods among men. Hopefully they are just joking, because to me, "those who see it are likely to attack you and try to take it from you by force," just sounds like it would make random encounters on the street happen more often, or that they'd chase you down harder, or that they're more difficult to stealth by.

Now, it didn't fix it altogether as I still found the combat stiff and awkward before and after I equipped that book, but I'm glad I got that cleared up. At least it had the positive benefit of making everything practically a cakewalk now since I had to get used to battling gods among men!

You must learn the way of the bicycle.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
FFT is about (build spoilers) unlocking the calculator class and defeating all of your enemies/becoming invincible with the ability to do basic arithmetic.

Then you realize the animations take too much time so you unlock ninjas and some sub ability from another class which lets you wield the most powerful one handed weapons, throw pebbles at each other to trigger invis, then assassinate the baddies in a single one shot.

Never did figure out how zodiac signs work. I beat the game and the optional dungeon without it using the above.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I looked up Fort Triumph on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

quote:

A strategy game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with the world exploration of HOMM.

X-COM and How I Met your Mother?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 24, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Picked up Dragon's Dogma and Dusk based on recommendations in this thread. Don't let me down, goons

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Still no FFVII Remake performance issues about 5 hours in. I am really enjoying it. The Jessie mission was fantastic - there is a ton of charming dialog/slapstick/body language throughout so far. Even the new scenes remind me of the original. Glad I stayed in the dark on this one.

I love the remake, the only bad part is on replays you realize just how much slow walking/unskippable dialogue there is.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kerbal space program is on sale. Are the DLCs any good? Should I just get the base game or is it worth springing for the DLCs as well?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Ghost ride the whip

:vince:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I gave in and looked up how to unlock the third level in vampire surivors just to find out there wasn't one :mad:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you count how many games you have? Some of my "games" on steam are software sets I got for cheap that steam likes to consider games.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just "beat" Tunic. Game was actually pretty cool and fun for 80% of it. The last 20% was a chore, and then I looked up how to get the "true" ending.

Even given all the clues, and even interpreting all of them (which is extremely iffy and requires some knowledge of shorthand), and HOW you interpret them, and then putting them all together to be done in a certain place that you can get wrong by being too far from where the game thinks you'll be to do a massive rote sequence that gives you no feedback while you're entering it and doesn't tell you what goes wrong if you make any mistake.

This game can eat my poo poo. Glad I didn't buy it on steam.

Even looking up the final solution I gave up because I'll be damned if I'm gonna jump through those hoops.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

in fact i'm honestly not sure what exactly most of ninjoatse.cx's specific complaints refer to. specifically the "being too far" and "knowledge of shorthand" bits; i'd love to read an explanation so I have some context

Look up how you open the mountain door and how you go about getting the code for the mountain door. Even after you get the pages from the manual, interpreting them to get a sequence is insane. And the infal sequence is massive. And if you're not standing in the right spot, it's ignored

I get the true ending is "extra", but that is some BS.

Ciaphas posted:

:v:

if it helps any, the bosses can be a right fucker and a half (for some folks, not so much - seems to vary widely). here's an example of me beefing it on a mid-game boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjvql36Uxg

i love this game's entire aesthetic. real good music too

The bosses were fun. The ones that were rage inducing were trivialized by using a different strategy. Only one of them I needed items for.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Gripper posted:

It's a mix. Most of the puzzles are somewhere between your average Zelda and the easier La Mulana ones, and the more obscure ones are for secrets and are closer to FEZ's post-game puzzles but I'd argue nowhere near as frustrating.

Other than the big last one, I loved its puzzles. Some goons liked the big last puzzle too. I guess it goes back to how fond you are of picking up a piece of paper and sketching things down.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha. "Weird" West!

I've received similar amounts of jank in my first playthrough, a failed a quest because I misclicked and didn't realize it until the time ran out. :|

We didn't get the next Thief/Dishonored clone for this? :mad:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Feels like I should wait for a patch or two on Weird West.

I got it from Gamepass, which seems to be a good deal for things that come to Gamepass.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I've played 30 minutes of Crystal Project and the starting area had 5 slime combats (which is completely expected for this type of game) and 5 chests scattered around the area which required platforming with a camera that hid your character pretty often and bad controls and to get (which is not). The way my brain works, I need those chests, no matter how disappointing the contents are.

Does the game keep on doing that? That's not exploration, that's a waste of time.

I killed stuff, then got to an area where stuff would kill me. so I killed stuff and bought brand new equipment which let me kill the new stuff easily, then I went to a new area and poo poo was killing me and I needed to buy new stuff and I said "nope".

e: Never wished for random encounters before. Needing to find enemies to grind sucks

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 6, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does Hideo Kojima know his games are parody?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I loved the first one, but I don't like the direction the art they went for in this one. I'm not a fan of pixel art, but it had its own charm. The cartoony stuff is just visual clutter.

e: I'll probably get it when it's on sale.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Venuz Patrol posted:

touhou having multiple top slots in the ranking is extremely fitting

I also wouldn't consider them really hidden. They're kind of staple of the bullet hell sub-genre. They're the only games in that list that I have.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
7th Guest posts are cool and good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I only remember a few parts of this game, mostly because I was drinking heavily while playing, but I sure as hell can't forget this theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5__JfVihGI

I just bought the OST for Nier: Automata because square keeps taking down the youtube/spotify versions.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

? they have it on spotify officially, along with most other game soundtracks under their label

I swear it wasn't there the last time I looked. Well, at least I'll still have it when I subscribe to this drat thing

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
X-Com 2 is also free from The Epic Store. I absolutely loved it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

Chimera Squad wasn't enough. I need that sick bullshit, I need that proper :xcom:

I could never get into chimera squad. When does it get good?

I didn't like X-com 2 at first with the whole mobile base thing, but when you get the hang of it plays really well. The expansions also add a ton of pants making GBS threads moments that are just great. The rewards unbalance the game, but if you're the kind of player that like being super curb-stompey at the end of the game, they're a nice touch.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tetris is a soulslike.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Those look silly and dumb even by 40K standards

"lost technology" my rear end, it's a pair of stilts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A bit behind, but how is Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice?

Overall rating? Games to compare it to?