Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

stinkypete posted:

While I am on a New Mexican kick / brain dump lets make Re-fried beans. Pick and clean a one pound bag of beans then rinse twice in cool sink water I use a colander. Place your beans into your instapot with 10 cups of water. Add a little bit of oil to keep the beans from boiling / frothing over. Add your seasonings I just dump in a can of pickled Jalapenos skipping any added salt. Pressure cook on High for 40 Minutes with quick release. After your beans are cooked throw them back into your colander and rinse well to get rid of the bean slime and let sit for a minute.

Grab a big ol frying pan and throw a little bit of oil just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Pour in your beans and let them fry. Then let them fry some more. Before they get kinda shriveled flip them over as best as you can and let them fry some more. Add Garlic and lime juice then start to mash them with a potato masher or large spoon. When half mashed taste to see how much salt is needed. For good beans a lot of salt is needed and to lighten them up you can add milk in this process.

You can make them thick like I love them or thin them out with milk or some sort of vegetable broth.

I usually use the bean broth (bean cooking water) to adjust consistency (I like mine a little loose). But definitely salt, they taste pretty bad until it's salty enough then it's magically good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Skyarb posted:

I loving suck at sauteeing garlic till golden. I always ALWAYS overcook my garlic and then it tastes awful. Any tips, I just always seem to gently caress it up. If I try to take it off heat as soon as it goldens it still always seems to cook over. Maybe my heat is too high? gently caress I dunno.

I guess it depends on what you're cooking. I usually err on the side of less cooking anyway (just embrace the garlic). If it has cooking time after sauté (like a soup, braise, sauce, etc) then how done the garlic is is less important I think. If it's a stir-fry then it's more difficult. You could either cook the garlic with other ingredients, or add other ingredients in when it's close to getting finished. By itself it's prone to browning since it usually ends up in small pieces. But if it's with onions getting fried or on broccoli or something it has less of a chance of burning.

Edit: the garlic prep probably matters too. Crushed with side of knife then rough sliced will be more robust than finely diced; pressed or grated garlic may be even more prone to burning.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

How fortuitous, I came here to ask for bean-based pressure cooker recipes and I have that exact model.

So, for the past few years I've been preparing a large batch of meals of Sunday and freezing them for the following week. It's always been chicken breasts, rice, and vegetables, but I'm looking lessen my meat consumption so I was hoping for some sort of high-protein, bean-based recipe I could use to take it's place.

Here's what I bought today, I figure this must be 80% of what I need, I'm just not sure what to actually do with it:

• 10 lbs brown rice
  • 2 lbs pinto, red, kidney beans, as well as 2 lbs lentil and split peas
  • Chicken broth

I also have sauces and spices; I'd be happy to back to the store and buy anything I else I might need, but can anyone recommend a simple recipe I could start with?

Edit: Oh wait that picture is of our smaller "rice cooker". I checked my kitchen and what I mainly use is an insignia digital pressure cooker about twice that size. Still, it makes great rice and I'm sure it could cook other stuff, I've had nothing but good results with it.

Are you looking for lunches, or dinners?

With the pinto beans you can make refried beans. This recipe from foodwishes is the method I use (except I don't put in onion or peppers) https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/02/refried-beans-cooked-well-not-twice.html. If you're looking for vegetarian, the usual substitution is shortening for the lard. The real trick is getting enough salt. It will taste bad until it's got enough salt it's kind of amazing. Not too much though, just add, mix, and taste until you get there.

Personally, I'd be happy with some nice refried beans, some good veggies, and rice. They're also good for burritos, and I often just make them into tacos.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In my experience you’ve got to reheat it enough too (this is why the sprinkling is recommended). During cooling the starches actually physically change from being gelatinized to re-crystallizing (called retrogradation). You have to get it hot enough to re-gelatinize the starch so it’s not chalky.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

cooked bone-meal can be used to make dog treats

Wait I thought cooked bones were bad for dogs (because they like spintered or something like that).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Dead Of Winter posted:

If you didn’t get it from a feed store or a bulk bin at a Mexican grocery it’s almost certainly nixtamalized.

If it isn’t I guess you could try, but good luck actually eating it. Straight corn is tough as hell even with hours of cooking.

Yeah I tried to nixtamalize corn once to try and make some hominy, but it didn’t go very well. I even got the cal and everything, but I think it just didn’t cook long enough. So maybe do better research than me if you want to give it a go.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chard posted:

collard/turnip/mustard greens, all of these want smoked pork. what are vegetarian ways of sort-of recreating that flavor? my thoughts are deeply browned onions, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and brown sugar, which came out pretty good in my last batch but still missing depth and unctuousness. any thoughts to improve no-meat greens?

I'm just thinking out loud (It's been a while since I've made greens), but would more fat help? It's not really a "flavor" as such, but you definitely taste fat in dishes and I feel like it would add some of that depth and unctuousness you're missing. Depending on the cut I feel like smoked pork may add a nontrivial amount of fat. You'd just have to be careful about making it greasy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

alnilam posted:

Any fun things to do with baker's chocolate that aren't fudge, brownies, or cake?

Is it unsweetend? Maybe you could do a truffles/ganache if you dissolved the appropriate amount of sugar in the cream before melting the chocolate. I've only ever used sweetened dark chocolate for ganaches, so I can't guarantee it will work but I can't see why not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Should be fine, I think. It's just flour + baking powder, isn't it?

Edit: There's apparently salt in it too. That makes it less likely to succeed.

Hell I'd be more worried about the baking powder than the salt. A lot of lactobacillus don't mind salt (think lactic ferments like sauerkraut or kimchi), and yeast doesn't seem to mind raising bread with some salt in it. Gold medal at least clocks in around 3%-ish by dry weight salt, so it'd be around 2%-ish or less by the time you added water. That's around the high end for breads so not too crazy.

On the other hand, the lactic acid bacteria want to make it sour (this is the protective mechanism for stuff like sauerkraut) which baking powder would prevent.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I'm trying to make sour cream because you can't buy it here in Korea, but after 36 hours, my attempt is still super runny. I don't think it's any thicker than the milk and cream I started with. There are some thicker bits forming at the surface, but the rest of it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

This is my second time attempting this. The first time I tried adding more lemon juice and stuff, but it didn't work then either.

The milk claims to be 7% fat and the cream doesn't say. I've been letting it sit at roughly room temperature in a bowl covered in plastic wrap.

I'm not sure if it needs more heat or more acid or more fat or maybe it needs air? How can I convince it to become proper sour cream?

Edit: The smell and taste are kind of suspicious. I think I'm going to start over. Does anyone have a reliable sour cream recipe?

Do you have a starter? I’d bet the cream/milk are pasteurized, so you’ll have to introduce some good bacteria to get optimal results. Since you’re in Korea, I’m not sure where you can get the right starters. I’d probably look for yogurt starter vendors or cheese making vendors to see if they have a sour cream culture. Those should come with instructions. In principle once you’ve got some started it may be possible to just add some of your fermented sour cream to new batches if you go through a lot of it. That way the starter is just a seed culture and you can propagate it.

I don’t think you’ll need to add lemon to it if it’s fermented enough. The bacteria should do that for you.

You may or may not be able to get it as thick as stuff in the US. Often home ferments of yogurt are less thick than the commercial stuff. Probably variables like dairy sourcing and handling, the exact cultures, and fermentation conditions will affect the texture.

I checked my copy of The Art of Fermentation by Katz, but it’s oddly missing sour cream, which is weird since it talks about some very obscure ferments but misses an extremely common one. He says that for a Crème Fraîche (I guess basically sour cream but a little different) either raw milk is used (which would contain bacteria for fermentation), or some buttermilk with live cultures is added. Live buttermilk may be as hard to find as live sour cream or starters though. So if you can’t find a starter that can be shipped to Korea, then maybe look for a buttermilk starter or a cultured butter starter. Katz seems to think these are all related so maybe you could get sour cream with those as well.

You’re right on with rejecting stuff based on smell. That’s there usual advice for fermentation. If you’re nose says “Nope!” then it’s best to ditch it, since your nose is actually pretty good at protecting you.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About buying kimchi at mass-market american stores, I bought kimchi at Target once on a whim, and it was way too sour for me. I took a bite and my mouth just puckered up, and it didn't really have the garlicy/funky/savory notes to back it up. I think it might have just been a bit older, usually kimchi isn't that sour. IMO you'll have much better luck finding some good kimchi at an asian grocery, if only because their stock will rotate faster. Some places may even make their own and put it in clamshell containers instead of jars.

In the context of american food I think it's not as odd as it seems at first pass. Reubens are a fairly common sandwich that contain fermented cabbage as a main ingredient, plus it's even grilled. Kimchi is also fermented cabbage, but it trades the focus on the lactic acid sourness for a bigger emphasis on the funky, savory, and spice notes. Sauerkraut also has a distinctive flavor it brings from the green cabbage and I think kimchi also has its own distinctive cabbage flavor as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

As I'm a fatass that eats horribly, I'd like to change up my lunches. I deliver chips so most of the time I'm eating garbage from a gas station or grocery store. I do have a cooler but typically no way to warm food. Any goon favorites for easy lunches that can hold together for a few hours in a cooler, or don't need to be refrigerated, that can just be grabbed in the morning? Obviously there are sandwiches and such but I'm OK with varying it up.

You can do a bean salad, plus maybe some bread and fruit/veggies. I usually roll without a recipe here. Cook a big batch of beans (or use canned) until they're soft but not totally falling apart. Chickpeas are good and my usual bean. I'd bet almost any bean would work but black beans may be too colorful. Toss with some veggies you like (green onion, grated carrot, diced cucumber, grape tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, celery, whatever is good at the store really), fresh herbs if you got them, and maybe some pasta (orzo or medium-small pasta probably the best). Then add salt, olive oil, and vinegar to taste.

Instead of sandwiches I usually do wraps instead. I like to keep the filling and wrap separated until lunch where I fill it and then eat it. I like the wider, thin pitas and just use it like a tortilla, but I'm sure the "pocket" variety would work well too. I usually fill with hummus, some kind of slaw/salad, sliced grape tomatoes, pickled vegetables, and baked & marinated tofu. I'm sure you can swap that for, like chicken or something? I guess I'd go for cut, cooked meats instead of deli slices. If you're interested in tofu I can give some ideas.

I've never tried this, but I'm wondering if cold buckwheat noodles (zaru soba) could keep well enough in a cooler? Just cook a portion of the noodles the night before, and bring the noodles + broth + utensil. It's just carbs, but depending on how much buckwheat they're made of they can have a decent amount of fiber at least.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of the best dishes I’ve ever had was “Castellan Sopa de Ajo” (Spanish Garlic Soup) at a fancy tapas restaurant.
However, every attempt I’ve made at it leads to a soup full of really inflated+soggy bread cubes, whereas the soup in my memory was contained crouton-like bread bits that were hard, crunchy and not soggy at all.
Is there a way to get that effect? Do I just add hard bread bits right before serving?

Maybe a decent amount of fat on the cubes? That may deter sogginess.

I think it would mostly come in through the crumb, so trying to maximize the crust on the bread cube may also help. I wonder if a tighter crumb would help as well.

One of the falafel places near me serves lentil soup with "pita chips" (just fried old flatbread probably). Since it's fried and almost all "crust" they seemed to hold out quite a while in the soup. They also cook them quite a lot, maybe they're slower to absorb water when they're toastier.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That’s kind of an interesting question, there must be some reason that soybeans are usually not eaten like common beans.

In an end-times scenario I feel like something like tempeh wouldn’t be too onerous, you would just have to get used to the fermentation. I guess the hard part would be giving it a warm place. But it’s a pretty minimally processed food, it’s just boil, seed, and ferment.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

princess_peach posted:

Edamame? I buy the frozen steam bags. But it's not like a bean. I wonder what qualifies it to be a considered a bean

I'd consider a bean to be members of the Phaseolus genus, which would give you the the "common bean" (Phaseolus vulgaris), runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus), lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus), and a few other obscure beans. The common bean includes stuff like green beans (string beans) black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, great northern beans, etc. They're also all new-world species, first domesticated on the west side of the Atlantic mostly in mesoamerica.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe a bit of minced/grated onion? Usually a bit of onion is ground with the chickpeas for falafel. Other spices might be good too, one of the falafel joints near my apartment puts fennel in their falafel (at least I think it's fennel).

Also, is it salted enough? For a lot of legumes I feel like they taste really not good until there's the right amount of salt then it's amazing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Just wing it imo, it'll be more fun that way

That's how I cook like 90% of the time, who needs recipes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TheCog posted:

What can I do with beets that's not just roasting or pickling them?

Gotta make some red borscht.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So lentils were brought up recently. I'm pretty good at beans at this point, but lentils have always been hit-or-miss for me on the texture. What I'm after is like the lentils in like Amy's soup or something similar. Plump and soft interior and relatively soft seed coat. I feel like usually when I cook lentils the interior disintegrates and the skins remain unpleasantly tough. What kind of cooking method should I be going for. Soak/no soak, brining, slow-cooking, boiling, or pressure cooking? Or do I just need to get good lentils to stand a chance?

I'd like to consistently make good lentils, since they're definitely one of the earth-friendliest foods and I'm into that kind of thing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

Hey I've got tomatillos, poblanos, lime, jalapeno etc all here to make some verde. I've only used verde just with chips or cooking pork / chicken in it and used as a filling or soup. Trying to do about 75% vegetarian in the house, wondering if anyones got a good suggestion for verde as part of a vegetarian meal. I've got yellow squash and zucchini from the garden, tomatoes, avocado, dry black, pinto and garbanzo beans as well that could factor in. Any thoughts?

I often just make refried bean tacos (I have no idea how authentic that is but whatever) and I usually put on some salsa verde. Tortillas of some sort, refried beans, some greens/toppings, and some salsa on top. The market near my apartment makes fresh salsa verde, it’s usually a bit garlicky which goes well with the beans.

Maybe calabacitas (New Mexican squash) could also be good. In New Mexico they had calabacitas burritos with squash, cheese, and roasted hatch chiles. At least in my mind it could be good with salsa verde instead, but I’ve never tried that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Yup, that's the first thing I am doing. My issue is that they come out pretty crispy and browned how I would like it and then turn into like...day old bread after half an hour.

Does toasting it bring it back to where you like it? Toasting will also reduce any staleness.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

I used this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efqe9Umxopc

500g all purpose, 350ml water, 10g salt and yeast

I'm not a bread expert, but a few other suggestions to experiment with:

1) You may want to remove the water pan and water sources after the oven spring has mostly finished. The steam is important in setting up the crust and allowing a good oven spring, but is usually removed during the latter part of baking. I'd try to make sure the pan of water is simmering before putting in loaves (so it's nice and steamy), then just ignore the second spritz and take out the water pan at that point. I think the theory is you want to make sure the crust dries out nicely and gets browned after it's mostly set and the steam is counterproductive there. You may have to experiment with the timing, like maybe 5 minutes isn't enough steam time, it probably depends on your equipment and process.

2) You could potentially bake longer (that is, if your loaves look like the video's). I tend to like my bread more like what the guy does, but some people definitely take it longer. Often their ear will start getting quite dark.

3) shaping could also have an affect. I got pretty lazy about shaping and I kept having some very poor and tough crusts. But I added some stretch and folds and then worked harder to pull a nice skin on the loaf before the final proof and it gave a much better result. I've never tried baguettes so maybe that video has a good technique, I'm not sure. But shaping definitely can have an impact on the crust.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

I bought some gochujang cause I've never tried it but I also don't really have any experience with Korean food. I don't eat meat. Should I make veggie/tofu/rice bowls and use gochujang as an element in the sauce, or is there something else amazing that I can do?

You should absolutely do that, it’s called “bibimbap” and one of the biggest Korean culinary exports. Just do a mixture of veggies you like/are in season, some fried tofu, and optionally a fried egg (raw egg is also common in Korea). The sauce is just a mix of the gochujang, watered down a bit, and maybe with some sesame oil in it and optionally sesame seeds. Plate it by putting the veggies in piles on top of the rice, add the sauce to taste and mix it up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Same Great Paste posted:

I want to make a recipe that asks to put a chopped onion and spices into the microwave "for about 5 minutes" / "until the onion is softened".

I do not own a microwave.

What would be the closest stovetop equivalent?

Probably just frying the chopped onion in oil for 5-ish minutes. Unless it’s a lot of onions pretty much any pan will do. Put a pan on medium heat, add a bit of oil (a few teaspoons or tablespoons), then the onions and fry, stirring often, until they look right. They should sizzle and make steam. If it’s too hot you may get some browning but that’s ok.

Depending on the spices, mix in at the end. Ground spices can easily burn so just mix them in and evenly coat the onions. Let the spices infuse into the oil briefly and take off the heat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I’m trying to make sauerkraut... is it supposed to smell weird compared to other ferments?

Define weird. My recollection is that yes it smells a little different from kimchi. But with kimchi maybe my nose is distracted by the garlic and chili. But the sauerkraut I made last St. Patty's day did have a bit of a funk. At least in my mind, with sauerkraut you're aiming for a more complete fermentation so it may get more of the fermented funk than kimchi. Like you'll ferment sauerkraut for 2-3 weeks before refrigerating it, but with kimchi it's much less.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Heat kills botulism spores, also the spores live in dirt. Chilies won't have any on them.

The thing that's dangerous is if you just chuck a bunch of garlic cloves in some olive oil. If it's heated up or acidic you don't have to worry about it.

Heat above boiling point importantly, boiling won't kill botulinum spores. That's why it's so dicey in particular, it's a very tough spore compared to a lot of other common bacteria.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

So I'm a New Mexican living in the midwest and I occasionally see bags of "Hatch green chiles" in supermarkets. I've bought them a few times and they taste more or less exactly like a regular Anaheim. Anyone know what the deal is? Growing extra bland chiles for export to the midwest? Sucking all the flavor out as part of the preservation process, tomato style? The packaging is a straight up lie? It's very disappointing.

Is it a protected label across state lines? Apparently in New Mexico they have regulations for it, and there's a certification program (https://nmchileassociation.com/new-mexico-certified-chile-program/), but I don't know the implications for interstate commerce. Maybe growers outside of NM can just slap "Hatch" on their packaging if it's a similar cultivar to the ones grown in the Hatch valley.

Apparently the cultivated acres have declined in recent years due to droughts.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SA Forums Poster posted:

My wife just cut the cornbread I made, without taking it out of the cast iron pan, with my favorite chef's knife.

How do you go about searching for a knife sharpening service? I'm in the North Bay Area. I imagine the knife sharpeners you buy on amazon for $40 are probably garbage?

Pfft that's nothing. A decade ago when I first lived by myself one summer I came back from work to find that my roommate had used my chef's knife to open a loving soup can. I'm just glad he didn't cut the poo poo out of himself.

Not sure how you find a good sharpening service. Around me google maps shows several places but it's no guarantee they'll do a good job.

And yeah, the "pull-through" sharpeners are not good. Sharpening stones of some sort are usually recommended. There's a knife thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213) that fell off the first page, there's probably quite a few recommendations in there for different systems/methods if you wanted to get into it yourself.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What is a good carbon steel pan then?

Although my problem would be seasoning it, I have an apartment with no real ventilation fan so I'd smoke it out if I had to really season it from scratch.

Edit: for eggs I've found butter to really boost the non-stick nature of my tiny cast iron egg skillet. Oil makes an over-easy egg pretty difficult, butter I can get a a clean flip if I'm somewhat careful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

BtB isn't a powder though, it's kinda a sludge that comes in a jar, and I don't know how widely available it is. It's salty as gently caress (or at least the "normal" versions, haven't tried any of the low sodium varieties) but it's substantially better than any other powdered base I've tried.

It's pretty widely available. I've seen it at every Kroger-style grocery I've been to, and at Meijer as well (so I've seen it in big retailers in IN, IL, MI, TN, and NM). I've gotten big jars of the low-salt kind at costco recently. I get the veggie stock version, but they do make a chicken and beef version.

The low-sodium stuff is indeed much less salty (duh). Qualitatively, at the recommended dose the broth isn't as salty as I'd make a soup. So if you use that you'll have to adjust the salt level but that's not bad IMO. With the regular version I would typically add less than the recommended because it can be quite salty.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For a nonstick pan though I would skip the Barkeeper's friend. For nonstick stuff I think it just is what it is, you don't want to be abrading it too hard to get stuff off.

Edit: and yeah, I got a nordic ware aluminum sheet pan a while ago and it's pretty nice still. I use it less than some of the cheap pans I have, but it roasts squash and veggies without much buildup over the years.

Frozen potato stuff (and other frozen foods like that) seem to be the worst for the pans for what it's worth. Roasted veggies or even fresh potatoes don't seem to be as bad.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 24, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Same, most of my sheet pans look like this. For the most part it’s just a patina or an oil varnish, neither of which are harmful to the taste of the end product to the best of my knowledge. Will it give you cancer? Maybe, I’m not an expert there.

Well it's just like the seasoning on cast iron, so i think it will be fine.

Whether it makes nonstick pans better or worse is another question though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I don’t think it’s very likely that anything you could produce in a home kitchen would come close to the lubricity of Teflon, but I’ve been surprised by coatings before.

Oh haha I mean healthwise. Like does polymerizing the fat on teflon (or whatever they use these days) make it worse somehow?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah... a wok. It has a round bottom like a bowl with no ridge or lip to steady it. That's why woks often sit inside of stabilizer rings.

I guess it's more of how well do you have to match the radius of curvature for it to work properly. I'm not sure how standard wok curvature is anyway.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For what it's worth, I made a couple shepherd's pie adjacent things recently, and I found that about a cup of liquid was about right for my 9" pyrex pie dish. That dish is on the shorter side though. I think that's approximately close to the recipe posted above. You can also do stock (chicken or whatever you have around) if you'd rather. I did a bit more of a simplified version where I fried up whatever I was using with some onions and carrots. Once they were well-fried and browned I tossed in some garlic and a bit of extra oil. Then I added a tablespoon of butter and mixed a tablespoon of flour into the butter in the pan. Then just did a quick cooking of the filling/flour/butter mixture and added some wine and some stock. Season with salt/herbs/spices (I thought thyme worked well for me), let it cook a bit, put it into my pie plate, covered with mashed potatoes, and baked for a while. Since I didn't cook the roux all that much I only needed a tbsp of butter/flour.

I'm not sure what to call the pies I made. One had mushrooms and the other one leftover Christmas seitan, both with some veggie stock. I was out of peas unfortunately, but fresh carrots are a nice addition if you can get them cooked well enough.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For spanakopita, probably the best thing is to just buy the dough you'd need to make it. Usually it's made with phyllo dough, which is a paper-thin dough that you brush with butter between layers. That gives you the extremely flaky crust. It may be difficult to track down, I know I can get it at my local Euro-centric marketplace, but I don't know offhand how common it is at large-chain groceries. It's most often sold frozen, in a roll.

If it's not super flaky, then you may have something else other than spanakopita.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

captkirk posted:

Recommendations for getting smoother pureed soups? My veggie soups and borsch are never as smooth as I'd like. I have a vitamix which I used to blend the soups in batches, do I just need to let it blend for longer (which I guess would involve letting the soup chill down a lot more before going into the blender)?

You could also cook the ingredients for a little longer. For something like a squash soup, squash is somewhat fibrous. It may benefit from a longer roasting/stewing time to make sure everything is cooked well enough.

Also maybe blend it twice. With my immersion blender I often do a blend, simmer a bit, then blend again. Just be careful when simmering something like squash soup, the bubbles in the pot tend to be less like simmering and more like terrifying eruptions. Keep a lid on and be careful when stirring since it can splatter even more.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’d guess pretty drat high. Most canned refried beans have lard in them (unless it’s a vegan variety). Lard for refried beans is very traditional, I’d say it would be odd if they used like shortening or something like that. Price is comparable between lard and shortening for industrial style ingredients so I don’t think you’d save any money doing something else.

For rice I don’t know, but most likely they’re using chicken stock if you’re worried about vegetarian-ness.

edit: I guess Taco Bell uses soybean oil and not lard, and their rice just has flavorings and not stock. So maybe soybean oil could be an alternative?

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 11, 2021

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

...isn't most rennet from animal sources?

On the off chance you haven't come across it already, you might want to look into isinglass if you drink beer or wine.

No I think most rennet comes from fermentation these days. Specifically, genetically modified organisms which produce the same enzymes as in cow stomachs. Supposedly the fermented rennet has like an 80% market share in the US at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think the gelatin/isinglass thing is moderately annoying since the underlying product can be completely vegan, except for the one clarifying agent they add in.

The rennet thing is a little trickier in my mind. On one hand for calf rennet you can clearly link slaughter to the production of the cheese. On the other hand, cows need to get pregnant almost every year and give birth in order to produce milk, so is it that much different if cheese uses a vegan rennet? I don’t want to make you stop eating cheese since it’s delicious (I definitely partake in cheese) but I figured I’d offer a different interpretation of it if you’re considering the ethics of cheese.